PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Parker Bears Up In Taxing Season

duncan228
04-16-2009, 03:01 AM
Spurs' Parker bears up in taxing season (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/04/16/0416bohls.html)
Kirk Bohls

SAN ANTONIO — About an hour before tipoff, a relaxed Tim Duncan sat at his locker, discussing one of his favorite subjects.

That would be the Chicago Bears, a team he unofficially adopted in 1985 as a 9-year-old St. Croix native in the Virgin Islands. He can still remember watching them shuffle their way to a Super Bowl and has followed them ever since.

He wouldn't mind seeing Chicago take a wide receiver in next week's NFL draft, but groused, "Won't happen. They always take a defensive player."

That's OK, though, because he was positively gushing about the trade for Jay Cutler and was beaming that Da Bears landed Da Franchise Quarterback that's been lacking almost since Sid Luckman in the 1940s.

Finally, said the apparent 6-foot-11 tight end wannabe, his Bears have themselves a quarterback.

Duncan's already got his.

Tony Parker didn't decide to play le football americain growing up in France, but he knows all about leading his team and calling the shots at crunch time.

In Parker, Duncan's got one of the most sensational point guards in the NBA, one who is quicker than monthly bills and who has carried these Spurs to a Southwest Division title and a first-round home-court advantage in the upcoming playoffs.

"He's been consistently great," Duncan said after Parker's team-high 29 points in almost 43 rugged minutes of San Antonio's overtime win over New Orleans on Wednesday night.

His coach has marveled at Parker's improvement in his eighth season even though he's not yet 27.

"I don't take Tony for granted," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "It's been his best year, and he's carried us a lot. He's a constant threat on both ends of the floor, and thank heavens he's young as we start the playoffs."

If anything, Parker has been a legitimate MVP candidate disguised as an also-ran contender who has played lights out all season for a team so old it turns out the lights and hits the sack about 10 p.m.

He won't win this year's MVP award or even finish among the top three.

If Manu Ginobili's right ankle had been healthy, Parker might have stood a reasonable chance of winning the award as the league's best player instead of settling for a career season in nearly every category.

In fact, he won't even make the All-NBA first team, not with Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade hogging the limelight as its top two guards.

More likely, Parker will settle for second team alongside Chris Paul, the otherworldly point guard for the Hornets whom Parker battled all night long before San Antonio prevailed 105-98 to clinch a first-round home series with Dallas.

"They're the two quickest men on the planet," Parker's teammate Matt Bonner said. "What I'm amazed by is how healthy Tony's stayed, having to put this team on his shoulders. He's been unbelievable."

Parker and Paul are the only two players in the league to average at least 20 points and five assists while still shooting above 50 percent from the field. Of Parker's 30 games of 30-plus points in his career, almost half (13) have come this season. That includes his career-high 55 points against Minnesota.

Parker will take more satisfaction in that recognition rather than needing validation from outsiders over his career-high numbers of 21.9 points a game and almost seven assists a game.

"I don't care," he said of any MVP snub. "I've got my rings. Nobody cares about that in San Antonio."

No, this city has higher standards, ones that Parker shares.

Just how far the Spurs go in the upcoming NBA post-season is subject for debate.

This isn't your grandfather's Spurs team, but they might be playing like grandfathers at times, given Duncan's creaky knees and the senior citizen status of players like Michael Finley and Bruce Bowen. It's nice to have a leader who's already scored 10,000 career points.

And besides that offensive firepower, Parker brings an incredible ability to drive and finish against nearly anyone.

For sure, the Mavericks' ancient Jason Kidd stands no chance of staying in front of Parker. He'll need tons of help keeping Parker out of the lane.

"He's the layup guru," Spurs rookie guard George Hill said. "He's one of the better ones I've ever seen at challenging big guys at the basket because he doesn't care if he gets busted in the mouth or dropped on his head. That's one thing I never knew. I hope his toughness brushes off on me."

Tough, Tony Parker is. Just don't ask him to play running back.

BruceBowenFan
04-16-2009, 05:22 AM
Nice read. :tu

Bruno
04-16-2009, 05:29 AM
TP has had an amazing regular season. Major props to him. :tu

raspsa
04-16-2009, 05:42 AM
[B][URL="http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/04/16/0416bohls.html"]

"He's the layup guru," Spurs rookie guard George Hill said. "He's one of the better ones I've ever seen at challenging big guys at the basket because he doesn't care if he gets busted in the mouth or dropped on his head. That's one thing I never knew. I hope his toughness brushes off on me."

Yeah, pound for pound Tony is one of the toughest guys around. He hardly complains after getting pounded game after game. I think GH is a pretty tough guy himself. Not yet the finisher that Tony is but he has demonstrated his willingness to take it hard to the basket. Fortunately for GH, he's dealing with a kindler, gentler Pop.. nothing like the Pop that tony had to deal with but that probably has a lot to do with the kind of player he is today.

mathbzh
04-16-2009, 05:46 AM
I didn't want to start a thread with this so this is probably the right place.

I have calculated TP stats without Ginobili. My first goal is to keep track of what TP can do when he is the man. It could be usefull if when Gino is back TP number go down to 20/6.

If I am correct (I admit I did not double check my numbers). Tony played 29 games without Ginobili for a 17-12 record).
In these games his stats are:

35.2 mpg 25.2 ppg (50.8%) 7.6 apg 3.7 rpg 0.9 spg 2.7 TO

These stats are great... but if you consider he played only 35.2 mpg they are truly impressive.
For the comparison, CP3 played 38.4 mpg this season.
On 38.4 mpg Parker stats would be 27.5 ppg / 8.2 apg / 4rpg / 1 spg / 3 TO
Talked about MVP caliber?

romain.star
04-16-2009, 05:55 AM

I have calculated TP stats without Ginobili. My first goal is to keep track of what TP can do when he is the man. It could be usefull if when Gino is back TP number go down to 20/6.

If I am correct (I admit I did not double check my numbers). Tony played 29 games without Ginobili for a 17-12 record).

These stats are great... but if you consider he played only 35.2 mpg they are truly impressive.
Talked about MVP caliber?

Yeah, this old debate...

Of course, TP's numbers rise when Manu is out... then what?

As a french spurs fan, i'm happy for him, he's enjoying a MVP season and that's great !

But what i care about is :lobt2: and without Manu, TP can have 30/10 games, the Spurs won't get the 5th one

mathbzh
04-16-2009, 06:51 AM
Yeah, this old debate...

Of course, TP's numbers rise when Manu is out... then what?

As a french spurs fan, i'm happy for him, he's enjoying a MVP season and that's great !

But what i care about is :lobt2: and without Manu, TP can have 30/10 games, the Spurs won't get the 5th one

I agree with you, this is why I didn't want to start a thread about it.
This is just a piece of information, nothing more.

timvp
04-16-2009, 08:14 AM

Talked about MVP caliber?Nice stat work. Parker has pretty clearly been a top ten player this year in the NBA. His improvements this season have been very impressive. Hopefully this is the beginning of his prime and he's able to stay at this level for another three or four years.

It's going to be very interesting to see what he does during the playoffs. Being a superstar regular season player is different than being a superstar postseason player. If he can play at a superstar level during these playoffs, it very well could change the way the Spurs decide to build the team going forward.

Spurs Brazil
04-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Parker will take more satisfaction in that recognition rather than needing validation from outsiders over his career-high numbers of 21.9 points a game and almost seven assists a game.

"I don't care," he said of any MVP snub. "I've got my rings. Nobody cares about that in San Antonio."

TP was FANTASTIC in regular season. Big props to him

ducks
04-16-2009, 09:56 PM
More likely, Parker will settle for second team alongside Chris Paul, the otherworldly point guard for the Hornets whom Parker battled all night long before San Antonio prevailed 105-98 to clinch a first-round home series with Dallas.
second team is better then 3 team

phxspurfan
04-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Lol I thought this was going to be about Parker cheating on his taxes

ducks
04-16-2009, 10:12 PM

why would he cheat on his taxes and his wife

honestfool84
04-16-2009, 10:16 PM
ducks is creaming his pants right now, with all the parker love.

ducks
04-16-2009, 11:02 PM
ducks is creaming his pants right now, with all the parker love.

manu homers are ticked duncan is healthy and spurs could make lots of noise in playoffs without manu

honestfool84
04-16-2009, 11:05 PM
manu homers are ticked duncan is healthy and spurs could make lots of noise in playoffs without manu

i think all three are equally important.

ducks
04-16-2009, 11:10 PM
I think tp and duncan are more important
then manu

mason needs to learn to play great with manu though
then spurs with all 4 would be number one seed and champs for sure

jcrod
04-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Nice stat work. Parker has pretty clearly been a top ten player this year in the NBA. His improvements this season have been very impressive. Hopefully this is the beginning of his prime and he's able to stay at this level for another three or four years.

It's going to be very interesting to see what he does during the playoffs. Being a superstar regular season player is different than being a superstar postseason player. If he can play at a superstar level during these playoffs, it very well could change the way the Spurs decide to build the team going forward.

Very good point. If the team and offense was built around him he would have outstanding numbers, definitely MVP talk numbers.

Another stat that has always bothered me is FTA. Considering how many times he drives look how many PGs are ahead of him.

D. Harris 7.2-8.8
C. Paul 5.8-6.7
C. Billups 5.3-5.8
D. Willams 4.8-5.6
R. Westbrook 4.3-5.2
A. Miller 4.1-5.0
T. Parker 3.9-5.0

He still doesn't get nearly the respect from refrees as he should.

Ice009
04-16-2009, 11:30 PM

Don't be stupid Ducks. I would love to win it no matter who plays.

Ice009
04-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Very good point. If the team and offense was built around him he would have outstanding numbers, definitely MVP talk numbers.

Another stat that has always bothered me is FTA. Considering how many times he drives look how many PGs are ahead of him.

D. Harris 7.2-8.8
C. Paul 5.8-6.7
C. Billups 5.3-5.8
D. Willams 4.8-5.6
R. Westbrook 4.3-5.2
A. Miller 4.1-5.0
T. Parker 3.9-5.0

He still doesn't get nearly the respect from refrees as he should.

Tell that to Hornets and Lakers fans according to them we get all the calls.

That list total fucking shit. TP should be near the top and Tim should be as well. How does the best penetrating PG in the NBA get less free throws than a rookie PG? And how in the fuck is Billups up there? I thought he mainly takes jumpers.

ducks
04-16-2009, 11:34 PM
harris at 8 wtf

ducks
04-16-2009, 11:34 PM
tp would average atleast 2 more points a game with 8 free throw attempts a game

biba
04-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Parker interview in the internet newspaper l"Equipe.

17/04/2009

Basketball - NBA - Tony Parker takes stock

Tony Parker, on the momentum of a superb season, has said to "l'Equipe" how he felt about the chances of San Antonio for the play-offs. Here is a quick summary before the first round vs Dallas.

Tony Parker, how do the Spurs deal with the play-offs without Manu Ginobili?

It is clear that Manu will be missed. He is a big part of what we do. But we have also become accustomed to playing without him this season ... Now, we have two choices. Either meet the challenge, or holidays will be super early.

This is the message that your coach Gregg Popovich has also provided to the press ...

Yes, that's right. Only it anyway. We should not cloud the issue: there are very good teams in the West. That would have been difficult with Manu. Without him, we must work twice as hard and be even more concentrated. We will have to play to perfection if we want to spend rounds in these play-offs.

Is this the first time since playing for the Spurs that the title seems out of reach?

We can not say it, otherwise it is useless to play. Now, it's true we do not know at all where we are going. In seven years in San Antonio, I have never experienced a similar situation. Until now, each year we discussed the play-offs with a chance of being champion. A real chance to be NBA champion. There are teams who say we can be champions. But those who can, really, they are a few. Here, without Manu, it seems complicated ... difficult anyway. There is no room. We can beat everyone, but we can also lose against everyone! And we must play perfectly to win. Manu, it was our margin.

Is it time to talk about the end of an era?

Yes ... beyond the play-offs. We know that this season and next are the last of this group. After the summer of 2010 will be the summer of changes. This is not new.

For the first time in your NBA career, you can not afford to have an average game if Spurs would have a chance to win?

It is clear that the way to 18 points, 7 assists, it is no longer enough. I have to produce and be at my best all the time.

The Lakers are unbeatable in the West?

Nobody is unbeatable. It is clear that the Lakers have a margin. But they are not unbeatable. "

17/04/2009
Basket - NBA - Tony Parker fait le bilan

Tony Parker, sur la lancée d'une superbe saison, a livré à L'Equipe son sentiment sur les chances de San Antonio pour les play-offs. Un question-réponse dont voici un petit résumé, avant le premier tour des Spurs face à Dallas.

«Tony Parker, comment les Spurs abordent-ils ces play-offs sans Manu Ginobili ?
C'est clair que Manu va nous manquer. Il est une grosse partie de ce que l'on fait. Mais on a aussi pris l'habitude de jouer sans lui cette saison... Maintenant, on a deux choix. Soit on relève le challenge, ou alors on sera en vacances super tôt.

C'est le message que votre coach Gregg Popovich a aussi passé dans la presse...
Oui, c'est ça. Il n'y a que ça de toute façon. Il ne faut pas se voiler la face : il y a de très bonnes équipes à l'Ouest. Cela aurait été difficile avec Manu. Sans lui, on doit travailler deux fois plus et être encore plus concentré. On va devoir jouer à la perfection si on veut passer des tours dans ces play-offs.

Est-ce la première fois depuis que vous jouez pour les Spurs que le titre vous semble hors de portée ?
On ne peut dire ça, sinon, ça ne sert à rien de jouer. Maintenant, c'est vrai qu'on ne sait pas du tout où on va. En sept ans à San Antonio, je n'ai jamais connu une situation pareille. Jusqu'à ce jour, chaque année on a abordé les play-offs en ayant une chance d'être champion. Une réelle chance d'être champion NBA. Parce que les équipes qui disent on peut être champion, il y en a. Mais celles qui peuvent vraiment, c'est plus limité. Là, sans Manu, ça paraît compliqué... difficile en tout cas. On n'a aucune marge. On peut battre tout le monde, mais on peut aussi perdre contre tout le monde ! Et il nous faudra donc jouer parfaitement pour gagner. Manu, c'était notre marge.

Est-il temps de parler de la fin d'une époque ?
Oui... au-delà des play-offs. On sait que cette saison et la prochaine sont les dernières de ce groupe. Après, l'été 2010 sera celui de tous les changements. Cela n'est pas nouveau.

Pour la première fois de votre carrière NBA, vous ne pouvez plus vous permettre de faire un match moyen si les Spurs veulent avoir une chance de gagner ?
C'est clair que du moyen à 18 points, 7 passes, ça ne suffit plus. Je dois produire et être à mon maximum tout le temps.

Les Lakers sont-ils imbattables à l'Ouest ?
Personne n'est imbattable. C'est clair que les Lakers ont une marge. Mais ils ne sont pas imbattables».

biba
04-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Is it time to talk about the end of an era?

Parker: Yes ... beyond the play-offs. We know that this season and next are the last of this group. After the summer of 2010 will be the summer of changes. This is not new.

Seems the 2010 plan is still alive.

And that that group won't change much next season.

Will the FO propose Gooden a one-year contrat? (good for the Spurs, Gooden and Fegan - his agent -)?

Spurs Brazil
04-17-2009, 03:02 PM
For the first time in your NBA career, you can not afford to have an average game if Spurs would have a chance to win?

It is clear that the way to 18 points, 7 assists, it is no longer enough. I have to produce and be at my best all the time.

TP must be in attack mode the 48 minutes. He must be the one who will take most shots on the team, especially with TD hurting knees

E20
04-17-2009, 03:06 PM
At first I thought the article was going to be about Tony Parker and him doing taxes.

Yuixafun
04-17-2009, 03:09 PM

Funnily I was thinking along the same lines. Misleading ass headline to garner attention.

timvp
04-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Parker interview in the internet newspaper l"Equipe.I liked those answers :tu

Nice find.