PDA

View Full Version : Toros Rally for Overtime Win

spursincharge
04-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Last night's Toros game was one of the best basketball games I've ever seen live. They trailed by 18 points with 8 minutes left. Then Malik Hairston and Marcus Williams took over...

Toros Rally For Overtime Win
Related Stories
•
Boxscore

Austin 119, Idaho 116 OT

AUSTIN, TX – Malik Hairston scored 34 points and Marcus Williams added 33 as the Austin Toros advanced to the second round of the NBA D-League Playoff by defeating the Idaho Stampede 119-116 in overtime on Wednesday night at Concordia University Texas Fieldhouse.

A 3-point basket with 7.8 seconds remaining in regulation by Williams forced overtime for the Toros after trailing by 19 points.

“I am continually impressed by this team’s character,” Austin Toros head coach Quin Snyder said. “The team demonstrated a tremendous amount of character tonight and now we get to play another day.”

The Toros snapped a four game losing streak to the Stampede in a rematch of the 2008 NBA D-League Finals.

Mohammed Abukar scored a game-high 36 points for the Idaho Stampede on 13-of-17 shooting off of the bench. Abukar scored 23 points in the second quarter and was a perfect 8-of-8 in the period.

Dwayne Jones, who was acquired earlier in the season for a trade for Mohammed Abukar, recorded a double-double with 16 points and 17 rebounds.

San Antonio Spurs assignee Marcus Williams also added nine rebounds and eight assists to his high scoring evening. Williams played in 45 games for the Toros during the regular season before receiving a GATORADE Call-Up to the San Antonio Spurs earlier this month.

The Toros advance to play the Colorado 14ers on Saturday night in Broomfield, CO. Austin holds the 5-3 series advantage this season against Colorado.

Bruno
04-17-2009, 03:52 PM
I have only been able to watch he OT but it was a damn fun game. I really hope it will be available soon on futurecast archive.

I've also like that at the end of the game Hairston and Williams looks like "friends". One could think that there could have some bad blood between them because Spurs have waived one to sign another but it isn't at all the case.

Reports and stats says that both Hairston and Williams have been huge in this game. I don't know if they will make it at the NBA level but Spurs badly need some young wings. Given that Spurs will likely have limited financial resources to get FA this summer due to the luxury tax and the 2010 plan, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hairston and/or Williams being the best Spurs can do to improve their SG/SF spots.

ChumpDumper
04-17-2009, 08:01 PM
It was an impressive comeback. Williams has been doing a better job of getting to the basket but had some trouble finishing. He also had a couple of crucial turnovers late that almost made him the goat of the game instead of the hero.

I do hope the game is shown in the archive, but I can't think there's any way the Concordia Fieldhouse can be a regular venue for the Toros. It's simply way too small.

Flux451
04-17-2009, 08:03 PM
For avid viewers of the Toros, who has an apparently higher b-ball iq between Williams and Hairston?

Blackjack
04-17-2009, 09:34 PM
It was an impressive comeback. Williams has been doing a better job of getting to the basket but had some trouble finishing. He also had a couple of crucial turnovers late that almost made him the goat of the game instead of the hero.

Hey Chump, how legit of a point-forward prospect is Williams at the NBA-level?

If the Spurs see him as someone who could eventually play alongside of Hill, allowing Hill to play the 2 without sacrificing size and length defensively, going with him over Hairston would make much more sense.

spursbird
04-18-2009, 03:38 AM
Hairston is a beast! He'd averaged 29.3 pts since he was sent to Austin again. I really have a high expectancy on him. He's athletic and have no fear to run to the rim.