PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: After AJ, the growth of Popovich

Kori Ellis
03-20-2005, 01:14 AM
Buck Harvey: After AJ, the growth of Popovich
Web Posted: 03/20/2005 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032005.1C.COL.BKNharvey.1555765d2.html

San Antonio Express-News

DETROIT — Avery Johnson will draw from his time with Gregg Popovich. He will preach defense and, yes, he will yell occasionally.

But there's another side to this relationship between the coaches of two Texas NBA franchises, and it is about Popovich's own growth away from Johnson.

Popovich has come a long way, all right.

Today a strong leader such as AJ would get in his way.

Today, in Detroit, would normally be about Popovich and his other coaching brother, Larry Brown. They are tied together by individual success and Olympic failure.

But Brown has been out lately for medical reasons, and Johnson is just in. Johnson has become Mark Cuban's hottest stock, joining a coaching fraternity that adds new members seemingly every day.

The move didn't surprise. When Don Nelson wasn't letting Johnson sub for him this season just for fun, Nelson was opting for midseason surgery. Rotator-cuff damage can be painful, but it's not as if a sore wing stopped Nelson from coaching. Wouldn't most coaches wait for the summer to fix the problem?

Johnson's rise didn't surprise, either, and the Spurs know all about this. He acted like a coach while wearing a uniform, and his connection with Popovich in the '90s all but gave Johnson a clipboard.

It was the perfect marriage at the perfect time. Johnson stood up in the locker room for Popovich, and he sat in on meetings as if one of the staff.

Cut a player? Make a change? Johnson's cold outlook had a managerial tone even then.

The public always saw the happy, cordial Johnson. But Johnson is far more complex than a sound bite. He knew how to play the media, and he knew how to play the league.

Nelson is an example. Johnson was never particularly close to him in the past, and there was even a time when Johnson held a grudge. Then Johnson played for Nelson at Golden State, starting as the Warriors' point guard for most of a season. Nelson, in one of his trademark trick moves, chose to bench Johnson for the playoffs and move Latrell Sprewell to Johnson's position.

Johnson arrived in San Antonio immediately after, signing with Popovich and delighted to be away from Nelson. But what Johnson understood about Nelson: He needed to forget what happened and move on. Business is business.

These are reasons to think Johnson will succeed. If he can get past a basic hurdle — if he can learn that the team isn't about him — he will win. He's a survivor, and his time in San Antonio proves that. How else could a journeyman ever expect to have his jersey someday retired?

It didn't hurt that Johnson threw in the title-clincher against the Knicks in 1999, but he did so much more. Popovich needed Johnson, both for his leadership and his support. Without Johnson by Popovich's side in 1999, the Spurs likely would have tuned out a coach without much credibility. Johnson instead saved Popovich's job.

The championship changed all dynamics, too. Established and more comfortable, Popovich rolled on, and the summer of 2001 cemented that. Then Johnson left as Tony Parker arrived.

Now Popovich has built a league power with everything on his roster except, coincidentally, a forceful leader. And it's a void. Most title teams have demonstrative players who care about every detail and don't care who hears it.

But there are reasons to think one not only is unnecessary for these Spurs, but also undesirable. David Robinson and Sean Elliott, for example, were personalities open to Johnson's lead. Is Tim Duncan at this stage in his career?

Popovich, most of all, would butt heads with anyone who tried to run his locker room. He has the voice now. He leads the team, period, with a rare handle on each of his stars. He relishes the strength that comes with having personalities of equal but separate strength, and it's partly the result of the international influence. On this team, Popovich is the common language.

It's a system admired by other coaches around the league. And if Johnson draws on his time with Popovich?

Don't be surprised if, someday, AJ runs his team the same way.

SequSpur
03-20-2005, 01:36 AM
BS.

Pop is successful because of Duncan.

Period.

Buck Harvey is a tool. Again.

Avery sucks. His ass was run out of town for a 18 year old foreigner. No college, no pro ball, a young pup.

Avery gone.

Man, I am sick and tired of Avery Johnson crap, he wasn't that good. The best thing about spending the week in Florida was the fact that I didn't have to overly here homer shit from the local media or newspaper or even watch a game.

I saw the 2 seconds that ESPN dedicates to the best team in basketball. Just what Pop and Duncan want.

timvp
03-20-2005, 02:02 AM
AJ made Popovich. Without AJ, Pop is fired after the 6-8 start of '99. The Spurs don't win the Championship. Without the Championship, the SBC Center is never built.

Then Sequ would be driving to Florida to see Duncan playing for the Magic. He wouldn't even bother driving to Louisiana to see the New Orleans Spurs.

Respect.

Recognize.

SequSpur
03-20-2005, 02:21 AM
BULLSHIT.

Nough said....................

SequSpur
03-20-2005, 02:23 AM
Pop gave AJ 8 mill and a first class ticket out of San Antonio. He could've kept him here to back up Parker.

But that's a Man's Job.

Member?

SequSpur
03-20-2005, 02:24 AM
Now Avery gets credit for Duncan staying here and the San Antonio Spurs building the SBC and staaying in San Antonio...........

LMAO.

BULLSHIT.

timvp
03-20-2005, 02:31 AM
It's cause and effect. If the Spurs don't win the championship in '99 and get the new arena, Duncan is playing next to Disney World.

Your azz would be making road trips to go see him play.

Not hate the player, hate the game.

Supergirl
03-20-2005, 02:31 AM
AJ was a good PG, good enough to win in 99 with David and Sean, but Parker is better, because he's more versatile. AJ only knew how to run half court offense as a PG. Parker is quicker and more athletic.

As a leader, well, AJ and Robinson were excellent leaders in the Christ-y days of the Spurs, but Duncan never really went in for that, and its his team now. He's as much a leader, just not a demonstrative one. He leads by the way he sticks up for the 12th man on the roster and shows loyalty and kindness and humor. He and Bowen are the leaders of the new team, and I'm pretty comfortable with that.

SequSpur
03-20-2005, 02:36 AM
It's cause and effect. If the Spurs don't win the championship in '99 and get the new arena, Duncan is playing next to Disney World.

Your azz would be making road trips to go see him play.

Not hate the player, hate the game.

Spurs didn't go 15 and 1 in the playoffs because of Avery. :lol

Spurs were the best team in 99. PERIOD. They had Duncan and Robinson. :lol

Spurs weren't moving, you can drop that argument.

As for Duncan moving...... have you been to Orlando? Florida? It is fricking NICE. The life, the houses, the surroundings, the locale........... I can't blame Duncan for looking..... And don't forget Robinson was retiring, Orlando was loading up on talent, etc. etc.... Can't blame Tim for lookin, but dude, back off the Avery bong....... Dude was long gone and according to some, Timmayyyyyyyyyy wasn't a big Avery guy anyway.

timvp
03-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Pop gets fired without AJ.

Go from there.

Rummpd
03-20-2005, 07:02 AM
Segu is right on on this one!!!

The facts as someone who had season tickets in 91-94, Avery Johnson really was not that good. If he gets his number retired it is an injustice to so many other greater Spurs during the years, hell at least Vinny del Nigro could shoot (I am kidding here Vinny does also not deserve a banner).

With any kind of true star or even truly decent point guard Robinson would not have been double and triple teamed as teams collapsed all around him. If DR had had TP or even Beno he would have had several titles in early career.

Plus star guards used to eat up AJ on defense all the time. He also was not Mr. Harmony - Rose and him got in a fight one time that was pretty intense. Also, he was vastly over-rated also for his "leadership".

My prediction, AJ will also be a big dissapointment as a coach. Who wants to listen to that whine all day long????

picnroll
03-20-2005, 08:11 AM
What Rumpd said. I'd say AJ more likley almost got Pop fired. His pedestrian point guard play year after year had the Spurs exiting the playoffs. Guy couldn't maake an outside shot if his life depended on it to keep players off Robinson. Only time the Spurs came close to the finals before Duncan was with Strickland. Think if DRob had had a KJ, Stockton, Nash, Kidd type.

Giving AJ credit for that title is total BS. Two years later Duncan does it without AJ, with a baby PG, a bunch of broken down old men and a Euro who had a gimpy ankle most of the year. Seems like in 2002 Spurs had a slow start too. Was it AJ that saved Pop's ass?

SequSpur
03-20-2005, 10:38 AM
The day Avery Johnson became a Spur, the Spurs management was looking to replace him.

Served.

Rummpd
03-20-2005, 10:49 AM
I for one am glad he is Dallas's coach, I can now despise them even more!

50 cent
03-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Timvp, I've gotta say that you are way off on this one. There is no way Avery saved Pop's job. He was about as consistent as Hedo on making his shots. I think what the poster above said about during the "Christ-y" years, that he was okay for a young team, but the preaching got old quickly and I it was apparent that Duncan did not appreciate it. The only credit AJ get's is showing God that the Spurs are His team. I guess God must have taken a nap though during the whole .4 ordeal.

Avery sucked as a player - he will be okay as a coach, but I can see his "preachy" style causing some problems, especially after all these guys that are used to playing for Nellie who would drink a beer at press conferences after games. You know that is going to be a big change going from working for Nellie to AJ. We'll see what happens.

ChumpDumper
03-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Are we playing Dallas today?

T Park
03-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Without AJ, Pop is fired after the 6-8 start of '99

So AJ went to Peter Holt, Pop's good friend, and saved his job??

I find that hard to believe.

But Sequ stooge, if the Spurs DON'T win in 99, they DONT get the new arena, and yes, they ARE the New Orleans Spurs.

And DUncan WOULD be in Orlando.

SO grow a brain, this team was on the verge of leaving cause of that dump alamodome.

whottt
03-20-2005, 01:16 PM
that are used to playing for Nellie who would drink a beer at press conferences after games

But AJ invented beer(and sex, food and water). Stop hating.

whottt
03-20-2005, 01:18 PM
As a leader, well, AJ and Robinson were excellent leaders in the Christ-y days of the Spurs, but Duncan never really went in for that, and its his team now. .

Way off base...Malik and Bruce Bowen are both devout Christians and Malik Rose was Duncan's best friend on the team. Kevin Willis was also a member of that group those guys go to...I don't know what Duncan's religious stance is but I know that he definitely didn't have any problems playing with most of the guys who are religious....And Drob, not AJ, was the guy who kept Duncan from going to Orlando...Drob being the most devout Christian on the team.

I don't think Duncan cares what a person's religious beliefs are...I have never seen anything to indicate he has a problem with guys who are religious.

What ever problems Duncan may or may not have had with AJ they have little to do with his religion and more to do with AJ running his mouth about how other players need to play, while getting worked by Derek Fisher and the like.

I hate AJ but it's got nothing to do with his religion.

whottt
03-20-2005, 01:31 PM
FWIW, this article nails one thing...AJ certainly knows how to work the media and the fans...because this guy was a freaking scrub who was reason 1A for some of the most embarrassing post season ass kickings in Spurs history, yet his media saavy has gotten him cannonized in San Antonio. AJ knows how to play the crowd that is for sure...and his cute act(and that's exactly what it is as this article reveals) has gotten him far.

All you need to know about AJ is that he has to get guys to plead for him to get his jersey retired....he is the most controversial selection of anyone...I know the fans cheered AJ at Sean's jersey retirement,....but it was just an emptional reaction...Had they shown a picture of Malik the cheers would have rattled the SBC Center louder than anyone...would that mean we need to retire Malik's jersey as well?

AJ will make a good coach though....he's a got a big mouth, is bossy, takes no responsibility for losing, and he has absolutely no game..if that's not a blue chip coaching prospect then I don't know what is. At least now players will have more respect for what he says because he won't be stinking it up on the court and won't have to account for his own numerous defficiencies as a player(not that AJ was ever willing to do that anyway)...AJ can now talk the talk without walking the walk all he wants....was every hard for him to do that as a player...I think AJ will be 10 times a better coach than a player. I would not have minded him being here as an assistant...

picnroll
03-20-2005, 01:47 PM
These are reasons to think Johnson will succeed. If he can get past a basic hurdle — if he can learn that the team isn't about him — he will win.
This is where I think Avery may wear thin and fail. Pop gets away with his ranting and demanding because ultimatley the players know he cares about them as players and as people, at least the ones he feels are worth keeping around. Avery? Don't get that feeling.

Brodels
03-20-2005, 01:54 PM
I actually agree with Sequ on this one. It's easy to say that Avery saved Pop's job, but nobody has been able to explain how that happened. Claiming that Avery saved Pop's job by standing up for him to the team and ownership is supporting a very vague concept. Buck didn't cover his bases very well on this one. The fact that he couldn't really provide any concrete examples or quotes or anything else is a good indication that his opinion is derived from his extreme support of Avery.

GoSpurs21
03-20-2005, 02:44 PM
AJ made Popovich. Without AJ, Pop is fired after the 6-8 start of '99. The Spurs don't win the Championship. Without the Championship, the SBC Center is never built.

Then Sequ would be driving to Florida to see Duncan playing for the Magic. He wouldn't even bother driving to Louisiana to see the New Orleans Spurs.

Respect.

Recognize.This is the biggest bunch of bullshit you have ever written. Pop is successful because of his no nonsense defence, David Robinson and Tim Duncan. Once again AJ is over rated. The ultamite joke would be to retire a journeyman's number. Just about any starting point guard in the league (during the 99) season could have helped the Spurs to win. AJ was the 5th best player in the starting line up that year and the weakest link.

As for Buck's article...he got it backwards...AJ owes everything he is today to Pop. Pop without AJ would still be one of the best coaches in the game. AJ without Pop would be a player that never made it in the NBA. And as far as coaching goes, the only reason AJ is a good coach is because he learned everything he knows from Pop.

whottt
03-20-2005, 03:38 PM
As for Buck's article...he got it backwards...AJ owes everything he is today to Pop. Pop without AJ would still be one of the best coaches in the game. AJ without Pop would be a player that never made it in the NBA. And as far as coaching goes, the only reason AJ is a good coach is because he learned everything he knows from Pop.

He owes it to David Robinson and the Spurs inability to replace Rod Strickland. If he wasn't David Robinson's best friend and Drob wasn't an automatic assist...he would have never been given the opportunities he was given or looked as good as he did. But even Drob silently waved good bye after the 2001 debacle. If not for Drob AJ probably wouldn't have lasted more than a season with the Spurs...he didn't last with Hakeem.

Bigmen love guards who can hit 3's....who did Duncan call for in 03? Who was Shaq's best friend on the Lakers? Hakeem's on the Rockets? Luckily for AJ Drob was an unusual human being.