PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi NBA Star Marks Set For Playoffs

duncan228
04-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Kiwi NBA star Marks set for playoffs (http://tvnz.co.nz/basketball-news/kiwi-nba-star-marks-set-playoffs-2651856)
John Whiting

New Zealand's only NBA player Sean Marks is hoping for a big helping of court time in the playoffs.

Marks, a forward for the New Orleans Hornets, spoke to media on Friday ahead of Monday's (NZ time) first playoff game.

The Hornets, seeded seventh in the Western Conference, face the second placed Denver Nuggets in the seven-game quarter-finals series.

It's been a career-best season for the Kiwi star, setting personal highs in every statistical category other than games started.

Despite not starting, he's been getting a huge amount of time off the bench - more than 800 minutes in fact - double his previous personal best with Miami in 2001/02.

"It is unchartered waters for me. It's different from the role that I've had before as a practice player and basically a cheerleader," Marks said.

"I have to be ready. It depends on the match-ups and it depends on what the coach wants to do. It could be 10 minutes or it could be five minutes. I just have to be ready."

Playing in 60 regular season games this season, Marks is stoked with how the 2008/09 campaign has gone.

The Hornets wrapped up their regular season with a loss to the San Antonio Spurs to leave their record at 49 wins and 33 losses.

Marks said it's been great to play alongside the best point guard in the league Chris Paul and is confident if the superstar plays well, the team has a genuine chance to go all the way.

But it won't be easy against the Nuggets, led by Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups.

While Carmelo is a genuine game breaker, Marks believes Billups is the main reason Denver has had such a good season.

The point guard was traded to the Nuggets at the beginning of the season along with Allen Iverson and Antonio McDyess.

Marks is expecting the playoffs to be tighter than ever, especially in the Western Conference, and is at pains to predict an eventual winner.

"Definitely anyone can come out of the West. The (LA) Lakers are the favourites though."

ploto
04-16-2009, 09:59 PM
"It is unchartered waters for me. It's different from the role that I've had before as a practice player and basically a cheerleader," Marks said.

I am so happy for Sean. Just 3 years ago, he was literally days from signing in Europe and here he is, still in the NBA.

For old times sake:
http://www.nba.com/media/finals2005/marks_300_050621.jpg