PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson would start team with Howard over LeBron

Showtime24 LAKERS
04-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Lakers coach Phil Jackson joined the show to discuss the upcoming playoffs.

-- Dan asked Jackson who he would want to start a team with. Jackson said that power players are really the key to the NBA. There are exceptions, like Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, but he would take Dwight Howard over James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul if he was starting a team right now.

-- Jackson said the key difference this year from last year is having Andrew Bynum and a healthy Trevor Ariza. Jackson said that Bynum will be limited because he's not fully healthy yet.

-- Jackson said that since the timeouts are longer in the playoffs, the starters can go longer. During the regular season he tries to limit players' minutes. He said Bryant has some miles on his legs and he needs to watch his playing time.

-- Jackson said that Kobe gets overlooked a bit like Michael Jordan did. In 1993, Charles Barkley got the MVP over Jordan. This year, Jackson says that LeBron will likely be the MVP. Jackson does think James has been fantastic this year, and has no problem with him getting the award.

-- Jackson looked around the West and commented on several teams. He said that the Hornets and the Jazz have slid down the standings a bit. Jackson said New Orleans' health issues hurt it defensively. Jackson said that the Mavs and Blazers suddenly are dangerous.

-- Jackson said that he tries to keep abreast of players' lives, so he does keep aware of Twitter and cell phones.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/61661/index.html?eref=fromSI

Spur-Addict
04-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Fuck what Phil Jackson says.

lefty
04-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Typical Phil Jackson trying to get in his opponent's heads.

Old.
And lame.

Pelicans78
04-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Howard is good, but he's not Shaq-like dominance or Kareem, Wilt, Russell, etc.

Showtime24 LAKERS
04-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Building a team around a big is infintely easier than around a dominant guard.

Look at what ORl has done. Simply sign a bunch of 3 pt shooters around Howard, and voila, you have a top 5 team in the league!

lefty
04-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Building a team around a big is infintely easier than around a dominant guard.

Look at what ORl has done. Simply sign a bunch of 3 pt shooters around Howard, and voila, you have a top 5 team in the league!

Pat Riley has always believed in winning a title with a dominant center.

Kareem, Ewing, Zo, Shaq.......

ducks
04-16-2009, 10:26 PM
harder to get a great big now then a great guard

j-money24
04-16-2009, 10:31 PM
harder to get a great big now then a great guard

Exactly.
Which is why i agree with Phil.

gaKNOW!blee
04-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Dwight Howard will never win in this league. He doesnt have the drive to win and frankly looks scared in some games.

Great talent, great player, just not elite and will most likely never reach the finals

sook
04-16-2009, 10:37 PM
harder to get a great big now than a great guard

good god Ducks youre english is terrible. :toast

lil_penny
04-16-2009, 10:54 PM
the zen-master has spoken

Udokafan05
04-16-2009, 10:54 PM
He's just sucking up to Kobe since he says james is getting all the media coverage, and that is why kobe wont win mvp again. He will use this for motivation for kobe, and then sell kobe out later for monetary gain. Typical Jackson.

IronMexican
04-16-2009, 11:55 PM
9 times out of 10, I take the big. Dwight doesn't really have it, though. I'd take Bron.

JoeTait75
04-17-2009, 12:33 AM
You can start with Dwight, but that still leaves you in need of an explosive wing player who wants to shoot the ball in the fourth quarter.

Sean Higgins
04-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Malik allen in prime >*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU-IaFqbmxA

Donkeybong
04-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Typical Phil Jackson trying to get in his opponent's heads.

Old.
And lame.

lmao. did you even read what he said. How the fuck could that be construed as getting in his opponents minds?

Obstructed_View
04-17-2009, 01:01 AM
lmao. did you even read what he said. How the fuck could that be construed as getting in his opponents minds?

lmao. could you even possibly be a laker fan. How the fuck could you not know that this is what he's been doing his entire career?

BUMP
04-17-2009, 01:10 AM
Malik allen in prime >*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU-IaFqbmxA

Can I get a Todd McCullogh mix too?

The TroutBum
04-17-2009, 01:58 AM
Dwight Howard will never win in this league. He doesnt have the drive to win and frankly looks scared in some games.

Great talent, great player, just not elite and will most likely never reach the finals

http://www.headinjurytheater.com/images/comic%20retarded%20sperm%20jared%20hindman.jpg

JamStone
04-17-2009, 03:21 AM
Josh Howard?

Who wouldn't?

ginobili's bald spot
04-17-2009, 04:03 AM
lmao. could you even possibly be a laker fan. How the fuck could you not know that this is what he's been doing his entire career?

Yup. This is just Phil working his magic.

gaKNOW!blee
04-17-2009, 12:40 PM
http://www.headinjurytheater.com/images/comic%20retarded%20sperm%20jared%20hindman.jpg

Cool, you can find pictures.

Anyway, this is a basketball forum. Please explain how Howard has the drive to win in this league? He disappears from games, and does not demand the ball what so ever. He is somewhat of a liability in the 4th qtr because your not gonna get as many dunks. So your actually gonna have to hit a mid range shot or make some free throws, things he cannot do.

dirk4mvp
04-17-2009, 12:59 PM
I actually agree with gaknowblee. I don't think Howard cares if he wins either way and it usually shows. Maybe it's a Howard thing.

fevertrees
04-17-2009, 02:12 PM
I'll take Phil Jackson's word once he takes a shit team and makes them something....not a team full of future Hall of Famers

gaKNOW!blee
04-17-2009, 04:26 PM
I actually agree with gaknowblee. I don't think Howard cares if he wins either way and it usually shows. Maybe it's a Howard thing.

Thats what I mean. He is out there to have a good time it seems like and thats it. You can tell Kobe/Lebron/Wade all need to win, Duncan doesnt scream or anything like that, but you can still tell he would do anything to win.

Dwight Howard may want to win, but does he need it like these other guys? I say no.

Donkeybong
04-17-2009, 04:27 PM

no shit he's been doing that his whole career, but its pretty easy to see he was just answering a question honestly. Phil is just so in your head that you even think that when he takes a shit, it's to mess with another teams head.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2009, 04:51 PM
no shit he's been doing that his whole career, but its pretty easy to see he was just answering a question honestly. Phil is just so in your head that you even think that when he takes a shit, it's to mess with another teams head.

Not knowing the exact question or the exact quote makes it difficult, since he was just being paraphrased, but no fucking retard starts a team with Howard instead of James, so it seems clear to me that Phil was performing a combination tweak/Kobe ass-kiss maneuver.

However, if we really wanted to get into Phil's head, we could extrapolate his answer out to find that he's actually implying that he'd rather have Shaq than Kobe on his team.

Allanon
04-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Phil's right.

LeBron is still one great Big player away from a championship ring. Having a perimeter Center in Big Z and undersized backups will hurt the Cavs this year in the Playoffs.

This is why huge interior teams like the Magic (DHo/Gortat), Celtics (with KG/Perkins) and Lakers (Bynum/Pau/Odom) have been pounding away at the Cavs this year.

The Cavs are a jumpshooting team, and this will be exposed in the Playoffs.

Udokafan05
04-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Phil's right.

LeBron is still one great Big player away from a championship ring. Having a perimeter Center in Big Z and undersized backups will hurt the Cavs this year in the Playoffs.

This is why huge interior teams like the Magic (DHo/Gortat), Celtics (with KG/Perkins) and Lakers (Bynum/Pau/Odom) have been pounding away at the Cavs this year.

The Cavs are a jumpshooting team, and this will be exposed in the Playoffs.

When Wade won his title, Shaq was not a great big player. Lebron is better than Wade, so Cavs are very capable of winning title. And if the arguement is based on overall size of the big player, neither Pau or Odom are big.

Allanon
04-17-2009, 10:29 PM
When Wade won his title, Shaq was not a great big player. Lebron is better than Wade, so Cavs are very capable of winning title. And if the arguement is based on overall size of the big player, neither Pau or Odom are big.

Shaq was still the best Center in the NBA in that year.

Bynum's a very talented and legit 7 foot, 280 pound big Center. Pau's a legit 7 footer that plays Euro Center. Odom's average for a power forward in size but he's quick as hell.

The Lakers have plenty of quality Bigs, no problem there.

The Lakers main weakness is point guard. But with Delonte West and Boobie Gibson, the Cavs aren't really a threat from the point guard position.

LeBron James is covered by Ariza/Odom, all very capable defenders. Kobe guards Mo Williams. The Lakers have the two best Cav players covered, while the Cavs have no answer for Pau/Bynum/Odom.

Like I said before, the Cavs have a very bad matchup with the Lakers.

Mugen
04-17-2009, 10:34 PM
i still take lebron by a close margin.

dwight will never have the offensive skillset that timmy, shaq, and dream had. hes a beast defensively and still a load down on the post but you can't go to him during crunch time. hedo and jameer still take all the big shots for the magic this season.

though i do remember dwight having a game winning alley oop over a certain Hall of Famer...hmm...:bang

Udokafan05
04-17-2009, 10:42 PM
LeBron James is covered by Ariza/Odom, all very capable defenders. Kobe guards Mo Williams. The Lakers have the two best Cav players covered, while the Cavs have no answer for Pau/Bynum/Odom.

Like I said before, the Cavs have a very bad matchup with the Lakers.

The great players in the league are unguardable. Ariza and Odom arent going to stop lebron. If thats the case, Lebron can shut down Kobe. Big Z would pull Bynum out of the paint, opening it for Lebron. Regular season games are overrated when analyzing a playoff series.

manufor3
04-17-2009, 10:46 PM
The great players in the league are unguardable. Ariza and Odom arent going to stop lebron. If thats the case, Lebron can shut down Kobe. Big Z would pull Bynum out of the paint, opening it for Lebron. Regular season games are overrated when analyzing a playoff series.

this

KSeal
04-17-2009, 11:06 PM

Gasol would guard Z, Bynum will be able to camp out in the paint all day. LBJ can't shut down Kobe and the Cavs have nobody to stop Bynum, Gasol, and Odom. Even without Bynum the Lakers destroyed Cleveland down low when they had Z, Ben and Anderson all healthy. The series will be over in five, and the Lakers will be the champs, book it.

Allanon
04-17-2009, 11:14 PM

Gasol is on Big Z and can do a great job on him. Bynum stays in the paint with Verajao which should allow Bynum to dominate.

The Lakers can't stop LeBron but can guard him 1 on 1 with Odom/Ariza and help defense in the paint. The Lakers already did this, as did the Magic. LeBron ended up frustrated and shot up 3 pointers and jumpshots, neither one is his strength. He ended up going something like ~30% against the Lakers.

The Lakers don't need to double LeBron....one of LeBron's greatest assets is his court vision, but without open teammates, he's not nearly as effective.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2009, 02:48 PM
When Wade won his title, Shaq was not a great big player.

Shaq was the rightful MVP the year before; he was still a great player at that time. Even though he had a down year, maybe three teams in the entire NBA currently have a center that's as good as Shaq was in '06.

gaKNOW!blee
05-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Cool, you can find pictures.

Anyway, this is a basketball forum. Please explain how Howard has the drive to win in this league? He disappears from games, and does not demand the ball what so ever. He is somewhat of a liability in the 4th qtr because your not gonna get as many dunks. So your actually gonna have to hit a mid range shot or make some free throws, things he cannot do.

I'm like a physic lol.

Anyways....I wonder if Phil Jackson still feels the same way?