PDA

View Full Version : E-N: Dirty Water: The Spurs-Mavs Rivalry

duncan228
04-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Dirty water: The Spurs-Mavs rivalry (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Dirty_water_The_Spurs-Mavs_rivalry.html)
Express-News

The Spurs and Mavericks have met in the playoffs three times — all in this decade. A heated rivalry? Let's just say owners Peter Holt and Mark Cuban probably aren't Facebook friends.

Spurs fans won't soon forget Cuban and his passion for the San Antonio River. And Mavs fans still say Jason Terry's clinched fist wasn't meant to harm. The Express-News looks back at five of the more memorable Spurs-Mavs playoff moments:

Hero to goat

When: Game 7, 2006 Western Conference finals
What happened: Manu Ginobili nails a 3-pointer with 32.2 seconds left, giving the Spurs their first and only lead, only to come back and foul Dirk Nowitzki while trying to block his layup, forcing overtime.
The result: The Mavericks win 119-111 in overtime before they fall to Miami in six games in the NBA Finals.

Privacy rules

When: Game 5, 2006 Western Conference finals
What happened: Jason Terry and Michael Finley are struggling for a loose ball late in the game when Terry sneaks in a punch to Finley’s groin area.
The result: The Spurs hang on for a 98-97 victory and Terry is suspended for Game 6, a 91-86 Spurs victory.

‘Ugly thing’

When: 2006 Western Conference finals
What happened: Mavs owner Mark Cuban blogs about Spurs fans, calling them the NBA’s “rudest” and claiming they “verbally abused” his wife. He earlier called Tim Duncan a “crybaby” and said the River Walk is an “ugly-ass, muddy-watered thing.”
The result: Spurs fans still probably despise Cuban, and the river still is drained and cleaned each year.

Dirk goes down

When: Game 3, 2003 Western Conference finals
What happened: After the Mavs had stolen the home-court edge, Manu Ginobili steps in — right in Dirk Nowitzki’s way. Nowitzki lands awkwardly and the series turns in the Spurs’ favor.
The result: The Spurs go on to win 96-83, Nowitzki is out with a sprained left knee and the Spurs win in six games before beating New Jersey for the title.

Howard’s hard foul

When: Game 1, 2001 Western Conference semifinals
What happened: Late in the first half, Spurs guard Derek Anderson is cut down by a wicked Juwan Howard cross, sending Anderson out of the series with a shoulder separation. Howard is assessed a flagrant type-2 foul and ejected.
The result: The Spurs go on to win 94-78, Howard apologizes and his Mavs are ousted in five games.

Ditty
04-16-2009, 11:55 PM
i hate the mavs

nuff said

Sean Higgins
04-17-2009, 12:12 AM
GO MAVS!!!

Malik Allen>*

Thompson
04-17-2009, 12:12 AM
What happened: Jason Terry and Michael Finley are struggling for a loose ball late in the game when Terry sneaks in a punch to Finley’s groin area.

Classy Mavs fans boo former Mavs player Finley every time he touches the ball in the subsequent game for getting punched in the groin.

The result: The Spurs hang on for a 98-97 victory and Terry is suspended for Game 6, a 91-86 Spurs victory.

Spursmania
04-17-2009, 12:28 AM

Classy Mavs fans boo former Mavs player Finley every time he touches the ball in the subsequent game for getting punched in the groin.

Yeah, I don't understand the Mavs hate for Finley. Mavs were the ones who let him go. It's really pathetic.

AussieFanKurt
04-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Yeah, I don't understand the Mavs hate for Finley. Mavs were the ones who let him go. It's really pathetic.

i always found that puzzling yeah

Russ
04-17-2009, 01:54 AM
Dirty water: The Spurs-Mavs rivalry (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Dirty_water_The_Spurs-Mavs_rivalry.html)
Express-News

Hero to goat

When: Game 7, 2006 Western Conference finals
What happened: Manu Ginobili nails a 3-pointer with 32.2 seconds left, giving the Spurs their first and only lead, only to come back and foul Dirk Nowitzki while trying to block his layup, forcing overtime.
The result: The Mavericks win 119-111 in overtime before they fall to Miami in six games in the NBA Finals.

Privacy rules

‘Ugly thing’

What happened: Mavs owner Mark Cuban blogs about Spurs fans, calling them the NBA’s “rudest” and claiming they “verbally abused” his wife. He earlier called Tim Duncan a “crybaby” and said the River Walk is an “ugly-ass, muddy-watered thing.”
The result: Spurs fans still probably despise Cuban, and the river still is drained and cleaned each year.

Can't these guys get anything right? :wakeup

Summers
04-17-2009, 08:20 AM

How do I not remember Cuban calling Duncan a crybaby? I remember the river diss, but not the Duncan diss. :lol

Drachen
04-17-2009, 10:15 AM
WTF!!!! are you freakin serious?? You are going to go through a list of highlights and low lights and NOT talk about when San Antonio turned into KERR-ville?? Game 6 2003 WCF!?!? I remember each of those times that he described, but I remember EXACTLY where I was for this game, at the exact moment that his flood of 3s were dropping. I mean, damn, I even remember the reaction of D-Rob, he was jumping around with his back to the camera. The way he was jumping made him look like a little school boy and I was like "who is that player?? Looks young, but I can't quite place him" then he jumped and twirled at the same time, and I was like "ROBINSON???" Let's just say that for 3 of those threes I was in a car and by the time I got to where I was going, I had bruises on my hand from beating the steering wheel so much!

clambake
04-17-2009, 10:18 AM
there are no finley haters in this forum.

BlackBellamy
04-17-2009, 10:33 AM
WTF!!!! are you freakin serious?? You are going to go through a list of highlights and low lights and NOT talk about when San Antonio turned into KERR-ville?? Game 6 2003 WCF!?!? I remember each of those times that he described, but I remember EXACTLY where I was for this game, at the exact moment that his flood of 3s were dropping. I mean, damn, I even remember the reaction of D-Rob, he was jumping around with his back to the camera. The way he was jumping made him look like a little school boy and I was like "who is that player?? Looks young, but I can't quite place him" then he jumped and twirled at the same time, and I was like "ROBINSON???" Let's just say that for 3 of those threes I was in a car and by the time I got to where I was going, I had bruises on my hand from beating the steering wheel so much!

Oh Man! That is one that I'm sure Mavs fans remember. I was in a bar in Fort Worth coming a p*ssy hair short of getting my ass kicked by townies for the overt joy I took in their misery. I wonder what kind of shenanigans will play out this year? Personally, I think Joey "Kangaroo beast from Tank Girl" Crawford will attempt to finish what he started and punch Tim in the lower back during a particularly meaningful play. Tim will laugh at what a despotic weakling Joey is and will subsequently be suspended for the rest of the play-offs. Either that or Mark Cuban, after another devastating first round exit, will go Viking battle-axe berserk on his own team. Only Howard will survive and the team will be rebuilt around him. (ha!, s'what you get)

Strike
04-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Howard’s hard foul

When: Game 1, 2001 Western Conference semifinals
What happened: Late in the first half, Spurs guard Derek Anderson is cut down by a wicked Juwan Howard cross, sending Anderson out of the series with a shoulder separation. Howard is assessed a flagrant type-2 foul and ejected.
The result: The Spurs go on to win 94-78, Howard apologizes and his Mavs are ousted in five games.

That pissed me off, big-time. I didn't think the Spurs were going to run over the Lakers in the Conference finals or anything like that but I knew they had a chance. That is until DA went down and didn't play against the Lakers until the final game of the series. With Derek they had a decent shot and downing LA. Without him, no chance at all.

Juwan Howard can eat a fat cock for the rest of his over-rated life.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-17-2009, 11:11 AM

Man, that's the absolute best Spurs-mavs memory I have. I remember getting up at 3 in the morning to watch that game (we were living overseas at the time), getting pissed 'cause we were down 15, then literally waking up the entire house with my screaming when Jackson and Kerr ambushed the mavs. And of course, seeing the Admiral and Danny Ferry totally lose it on the bench was the icing on the cake!

Thomas82
04-17-2009, 11:30 AM
That pissed me off, big-time. I didn't think the Spurs were going to run over the Lakers in the Conference finals or anything like that but I knew they had a chance. That is until DA went down and didn't play against the Lakers until the final game of the series. With Derek they had a decent shot and downing LA. Without him, no chance at all.

Juwan Howard can eat a fat cock for the rest of his over-rated life.

Yeah, that DA injury messed us up big time that year.

Strike
04-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeah, that DA injury messed us up big time that year.

I concur. A healthy DA could have resulted in another championship banner hanging from the AT&T rafters.

manufan10
04-17-2009, 01:22 PM

Extremely pathetic.:nope

manufan10
04-17-2009, 01:23 PM

One of the greatest moments in this rivalry.