PDA

View Full Version : What will Gooden's role be in the playoff?

bless1187
04-17-2009, 01:55 AM
i have been really impressed with Gooden's performance recently... and i personally think he should be getting plenty of minutes over Bonner...i just can't stand the guy play, i mean he would be having trouble being in some team's rotation let alone a starting center. Bonner is not a starter and is basically a 6-10 spot-up shooting small foward playing center. i would start Thomas too over Bonner. so i've paying careful attention to Gooden's minutes lately, he've been getting some crunch time minutes in the CLE, UTA, POR, OKL game... then the game against SAC and then the game against NOH, he got just 15 min while Bonner got 29min!!! i mean he does make mistake, but he does way more good than the big damm scrub in BONNER.

NewJerSpur
04-17-2009, 02:06 AM
Someone else here brought it up in another thread, but Bonner played pretty good defense on Dirk in one of the last matchups we had against the Mavs. If he hits his open shots and does a decent job on the boards as well I'm cool with starting him in this series. Gooden or Thomas on Dirk scares me.

bless1187
04-17-2009, 02:15 AM
alright let's hope bonner could do a decent job guarding him, which i have a hard time believing. i just have a hard time seeing bonner giving a 25ppg scorer a tough time... i have been kinda glad with pop's rotation lately when he was giving bonner like 18-20mpg instead of 30-35 mpg which he was doing about a month ago, but the last few games have gotten me worried that bonner will start seeing big minutes again... i'm just very depressed thinking about the possibily that we have basically a "BRIAN SCALABRANE" be a starting C and getting 30-35mpg in the playoff.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2009, 02:19 AM
Back up power forward would be my guess.

NewJerSpur
04-17-2009, 02:22 AM
Don't sleep on Brian, he hits shots when he's open and mor importantly.....he's become a fan favorite up there in Beantown, lol. Dirk is going to get different looks defensively even if Matt starts out on him and he's also going to get his points. The only thing I worry a bit about regarding Matt is picking up ticky-tack fouls which he has the tendency to do in bunches and Dirk is the king of drawing them. As long as he can stick with Dirk and contest his shots he should be okay to start. If he begins to go off Pop will put someone else on him, like Bowen. Gooden will likely be matched with Bass which will be interesting on both ends of the court.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-17-2009, 02:25 AM
15-20 mins, 8pts, 4rebs would be my guess. If he can play adequate defense, unlike what he's shown most of the time, he could help us. The matchups with Dallas suit his game more than Kurt, so if he's able to at least bother Dirk a bit, that'd earn him minutes.

Danny.Zhu
04-17-2009, 02:41 AM
If we start this guy, we will have no fire left on the bench. He can play Manu's role.

bless1187
04-17-2009, 03:19 AM
yeah, i have no problem with him playing the manu role off the bench, but i just hope that pop will just give him 15 min a nite while giving bonner like 30+ min

kobyz
04-17-2009, 05:11 AM
we doesn't need to give dirk much attention cause he will get his anyhow, we need to focus on limit the other players - dont waste Bowen on Dirk, put Bonner/Gooden/Thomas to give solid one on one defense on dirk and use Bowen to stop Terry or Howard!

AussieFanKurt
04-17-2009, 05:55 AM
Gooden or Thomas on Dirk scares me.

yeah i agree, i'm sorta worried in general of whos going to guard dirka dirka :wtf

Rogue
04-17-2009, 05:59 AM
If we start this guy, we will have no fire left on the bench. He can play Manu's role.
Gooden isn't a "fire" IMHO. What made Gooden that famous and earns him 6m/yr in the old days were not his remarkable offensive fire, he used to be pretty good in offense though.

The real value of Gooden is his awesome defensive plays and his willingness for doing dirty works, which are always considered disgustes that most of other players are reluctant to do. And his skills and awareness for being an servant had developed a lot through the years when he was playing around Lebron.

spursfaninla
04-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Being a servant? You mean bringing Lebron a soda and rubbing his feet? What?

sribb43
04-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Gooden isn't a "fire" IMHO. What made Gooden that famous and earns him 6m/yr in the old days were not his remarkable offensive fire, he used to be pretty good in offense though.

The real value of Gooden is his awesome defensive plays and his willingness for doing dirty works, which are always considered disgustes that most of other players are reluctant to do. And his skills and awareness for being an servant had developed a lot through the years when he was playing around Lebron.

I'm assuming this is sarcasim...

poop
04-17-2009, 10:35 AM
whoever we put on Dirt is going to foul out by the end of the 3rd so in that case id rather have bonner on him.

GSH
04-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Tony Parker frustrated the shit out of Nitwitzki on defense. Hill could probably do the same.

I want to see Gooden suck a bunch of fouls out of the guys who will be covering Tim. Everybody talks about the bad game Gooden had in NO, but he still had 11 points on 4-7 shooting, and 4 FTA, in 15 minutes of floor time. We could stand for some other guys to have games that bad.

loveforthegame
04-17-2009, 10:58 AM
It depends. Is he only used when Duncan is on the bench? It would be nice if he could get some of the guys that will guard Duncan into foul trouble. I believe Damp, Dirk, Bass, Singleton will all get turns. Maybe Hollins who's getting more playing time too.

If Duncan is struggling in the blocks, especially against a defender (Damp) who plays him well, I might like to see Gooden down low and let Duncan get some shots from ft line, elbow, or on some cuts even.

senorglory
04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
The real value of Gooden is his awesome defensive plays and his willingness for doing dirty works.

You may be the first person in the world to have ever uttered that phrase.

xtremesteven33
04-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Gooden role?

SCORE.

ElNono
04-17-2009, 01:13 PM
He will provide scoring and rebounding on the second unit. He's been fairly consistent in doing that since he arrived.

dirk4mvp
04-17-2009, 01:13 PM
being one of the various scrubs the spurs try throwing at dirk and ends up getting hit ass lit up.

ElNono
04-17-2009, 01:14 PM
being one of the various scrubs the spurs try throwing at dirk and ends up getting hit ass lit up.

I don't think he's gonna guard Dirk at all. What I do see, is Dirk trying to guard him.

dirk4mvp
04-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Yeah the 8 points a game he'll score is giving Carlisle fits on how to come up with a scheme to stop him. I forgot how much of an offensive juggernaut Drew Gooden is :tu Duncan and Gooden won't be doing much in this series. One has knees that are falling off and the other one just sucks. Have fun with that fishing trip.

monosylab1k
04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Does Drew Gooden still have that shit on the back of his head?

NFGIII
04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Keep him on the 2nd unit and try to hide his lack of D. Frankly he gets lost in rotations and can be a ball hog at times, which stagnates the O.

I just hope that he can improve his D rotations and get more boards. He started out rebounding well but has slipped. We need for him to get al least 8 per game or more.

As for Bonner if he can't hit his outside shot them he doesn't fill the role pop needs from him. At times he defends adequately but sometimes he is just plain lost out there. As with Gooden so with Bonner- he needs to hit the glass way more than he usually does.

Rebounding is a concern for me going into this series since if we don't get adequate production from both those guys then the Mavs second chance points could decide the series.

z0sa
04-17-2009, 01:45 PM
As for Bonner if he can't hit his outside shot them he doesn't fill the role pop needs from him. At times he defends adequately but sometimes he is just plain lost out there.

What times is Bonner 'just plain lost?' I can't think of one time in months he's been "just plain lost" out there.

hater
04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Does Drew Gooden still have that shit on the back of his head?

does Dirk still look like a neanderthal?

http://www.ideachampions.com/weblogs/dumb-Neanderthal.jpg

mardigan
04-17-2009, 01:47 PM
:tu Duncan and Gooden won't be doing much in this series.

:lol
Yea, expect big things from Erick Dampier.

monosylab1k
04-17-2009, 01:48 PM
does Dirk still look like a caveman?

Along with a normal head of hair.

I'm really not sure which hairstyle is a worse decision

The Drew Gooden Pube Neck

http://www.webfreepictures.com/IMG/jpg/Drew-Gooden.jpg

Or the Beard Combover

http://whereareyoushanetoomey.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/beard-comb-over.gif

mardigan
04-17-2009, 01:48 PM
http://whereareyoushanetoomey.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/beard-comb-over.gif

:lmao
Best commercial ever.

z0sa
04-17-2009, 01:49 PM
^ beard combover takes the cake regardless of hair style

Silky Johnson
04-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Drew Gooden needs to click his heels 3 times and go back to Africa.

MrChug
04-17-2009, 02:35 PM
I say what it's always been: maniacal effort, the 15 foot jumper, the offensive rebounding and putback. Try to work the Timmy D pick and roll, I think that he'd be phenomanal at the high low play, working on keeping Erick D out of the paint, but keep him off Dirk. We need him.

I'd rather have Bonner and Bruce on Dirk.