PDA

View Full Version : The Pirate Bay lost it's court battle today. 4 jailed

MiamiHeat
04-17-2009, 04:40 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8003799.stm

A court in Sweden has jailed four men behind The Pirate Bay (TPB), the world's most high-profile file-sharing website.

Frederik Neij, Gottfrid Svartholm Warg, Carl Lundstrom and Peter Sunde were found guilty of breaking copyright law and were sentenced to a year in jail.

They were also ordered to pay 30m kronor (£2.4m) in damages.

In a Twitter posting, Mr Sunde said: "Nothing will happen to TPB, this is just theatre for the media."

Mr Sunde went on to say that he "got the news last night that we lost".

"It used to be only movies, now even verdicts are out before the official release."

The damages were awarded to a number of entertainment companies, including Warner Bros, Sony Music Entertainment, EMI, and Columbia Pictures.

The Pirate Bay is the world's most high profile file-sharing website and was set up in 2003 by anti-copyright organisation Piratbyran, but for the last five years it has been run by individuals.

Millions of files are exchanged using the service every day.

No copyright content is hosted on The Pirate Bay's web servers; instead the site hosts "torrent" links to TV, film and music files held on its users' computers.

Critics of the trial say Swedish authorities only brought the case because of pressure from the US film industry.

BruceBowenFan
04-17-2009, 06:22 AM
As long as nothing happens to tpb were good.

Cry Havoc
04-17-2009, 11:31 AM
They'll appeal and the process with take more than a year. No worries just yet, especially since TPB guys can just outsource their torrents to other websites if the worst happens.

Trainwreck2100
04-17-2009, 11:34 AM
They'll appeal and the process with take more than a year. No worries just yet, especially since TPB guys can just outsource their torrents to other websites if the worst happens.

Their servers are in Egypt

BlackSwordsMan
04-17-2009, 12:01 PM
serves those criminals

FaithInOne
04-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Crack down on Pirates 2009.

FTL
04-18-2009, 11:15 AM
^ Like you two never right clicked anything and saved it on your PC.

http://www.itsablackthang.com/images/Allen-Aaron-Hicks/Christ-walking-on-water.jpg

BacktoBasics
04-18-2009, 11:38 AM
serves those criminalsAll they did was provide the tools. They're not the criminals the downloaders are. Do you hold the gun and knife companies responsible for murders and attacks?

sabar
04-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Ridiculous trial with a ridiculous outcome. The founders of the website are in no way responsible for what the people share with each other.

On a related note, it isn't the record/movie companies' business if I share the things I paid for. It's legally mine and I will share it with whom I please. The DMCA is a joke.

Shaolin-Style
04-19-2009, 08:29 PM
They should have feigned cooperation with cease and desist letters rather than call the senders names.

While stuff youtube can be guilty of the same crap at least they can say they'll make an effort to get rid of the links/content.

Cry Havoc
04-19-2009, 08:34 PM
The prosecution did not even know the difference between a "bit" and a "byte", and yet the court decided that they conclusively proved that The Pirate Bay was guilty of this illegal activity, despite openly not being able to explain how p2p sharing software works either.

TheTorrentBuster
04-19-2009, 11:27 PM
:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

FaithInOne
04-19-2009, 11:46 PM
^ Like you two never right clicked anything and saved it on your PC.

http://www.itsablackthang.com/images/Allen-Aaron-Hicks/Christ-walking-on-water.jpg

uhm my post was referring to the current pressure all Pirates of all kinds have been under recently