PDA

View Full Version : A&M advances, beats DePaul

Jimcs50
03-20-2005, 09:25 AM
TEXAS AM 75, DEPAUL 72

TEAM STAT COMPARISON
TEXAS A&M DEPAUL
Points 75 72
FG Made-Attempted 25-49 (.510) 22-59 (.373)
3P Made-Attempted 7-16 (.438) 6-20 (.300)
FT Made-Attempted 18-25 (.720) 22-25 (.880)
Fouls (Tech/Flagrant) 25 (0/0) 20 (0/0)
Largest Lead 20 3

GAME LEADERS
TEXAS A&M DEPAUL
Points B. Leach 23 S. Mejia 23
Rebounds J. Jones 11 Q. Greer 12
Assists A. Wright 5 S. Mejia 3
Steals J. Jones 2 L. Seals 2
Blocks J. Jones 1 M. Brumfield 4
· Team stats: Texas A&m | Depaul

CHICAGO (Ticker) -- Texas AM got lucky against DePaul in the second round of the NIT. Reserve Bobby Leach scored 23 points and Antoine Wright added 19 as the Aggies nearly blew an 18-point halftime lead before defeating the Blue Demons, 75-72, to advance to the quarterfinals of the postseason tournament.

Joseph Jones collected 14 points and 11 rebounds for Texas AM (21-9), which held a 44-26 advantage at the break.

But DePaul (20-11) chipped away, pulling within 73-71 when Drake Diener sank three free throws with 25 seconds remaining. After the Aggies' Dominique Kirk and DePaul's Quemont Greer each made just 1-of-2 free throws, Kirk only could split another pair from the line with nine seconds left for a 75-72 lead.

The Blue Demons had a chance to tie but Sammy Mejia missed a 3-pointer in the waning seconds.

Texas AM will face either Holy Cross, Buffalo or Saint Joseph's in the quarterfinals on Wednesday.

Mejia scored 23 points and Greer added 20 and 12 rebounds for DePaul, which shot just 37 percent (22-of-59) and allowed the Aggies to hit half their attempts.
:smokin

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-21-2005, 02:01 AM
Unfortunately it looks like the arrogant little NIT committee pricks are hellbent on getting St. Jo's (in our bracket) to the Garden, we'll be on the road for the next one.

Fucking assholes, we're just gonna have to win the whole fucking thing and then shove the trophy up their preppy yankee asses.

Jimcs50
03-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Unfortunately it looks like the arrogant little NIT committee pricks are hellbent on getting St. Jo's (in our bracket) to the Garden, we'll be on the road for the next one.

Fucking assholes, we're just gonna have to win the whole fucking thing and then shove the trophy up their preppy yankee asses.

Is that why St Josephs is playing AT A&M?

:rolleyes

:)

Chill, AHF.....there are no conspiracies going down, just college bball.

samikeyp
03-22-2005, 09:19 AM
the first few rounds of the NIT are on the individual campuses, the semis and the finals are at MSG.

Jimcs50
03-22-2005, 09:27 AM
the first few rounds of the NIT are on the individual campuses, the semis and the finals are at MSG.

Dude, AHF was saying that the NIT was going to cheat A&M by making A&M play AT St Josephs in the Quarter Finals, to get the St Jo team in MSG for semis.....READ HIS POST!!!

samikeyp
03-22-2005, 09:43 AM
I read his post. I was merely stating a fact.

Relax Jimbo...ease up on the caffiene bro. I know I haven't been around in a while and I know you missed me but jeez. :smokin

Jimcs50
03-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Mikey, everyone knows that the Semis and Finals are always at MSG. I was telling AHF that the NIT is not trying to cheat the Ags, because they are getting a home game on Wednesday. So all is right with the world and A&M gets the home game, like they should, since they have the better record and also the higher RPI.

I have not been in here for a week either, so I did not miss you. :)

samikeyp
03-22-2005, 09:47 AM
I was re-emphazing your point.

I was out for a month.

Jimcs50
03-22-2005, 09:51 AM
I was re-emphazing your point.

I was out for a month.

Oh, ok, sorry :oops

WTF were you?

I was skiing for Spring Break at Sun Valley.

samikeyp
03-22-2005, 09:53 AM
just taking a sabbatical.

Ballcox
03-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Wow, a&m won an NIT game. Start the freakin' fireworks, alert the media!

respect the 'fro :fro

Jimcs50
03-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Wow, a&m won an NIT game. Start the freakin' fireworks, alert the media!

Hey numbnuts, they have beaten two teams in NIT. An ACC team (Clemson)and Depaul, a team with a long pedigree in NCAA bball.

Jimcs50
03-22-2005, 10:06 AM
just taking a sabbatical.

Really? Why?

Ballcox
03-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Jim, it's called the NIT for a reason, it's a SECOND tier tournament for programs that couldn't make it to the big dance. Give me a ring if/when a&m finally makes the big dance.

Jimcs50
03-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Jim, it's called the NIT for a reason, it's a SECOND tier tournament for programs that couldn't make it to the big dance. Give me a ring if/when a&m finally makes the big dance.

IMO I would rather get to NIT, win 3 games, and make it to MSG and lose semis or finals than get to "Big Dance" and flame out in 1st round like Texas or Kansas.

You?

Ballcox
03-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Yeah, that would be great, win the post-season NIT and announce yourself as the 65th best team in the country, what an amazing accomplishment! Hey, it's great a&m actually even made a post-season tournament, but until you're dancing in March the rest just don't matter too much. As for Texas, I think Rick Barnes did an amazing job just getting that team into the tournament. And if you want to take it a step further, look at UT's recent run of sweet 16 appearances and a final four appearance as well, a&m has a LOOOONG way to go to match that type of consistency in the tournament. Enjoy your little NIT gig.

FromWayDowntown
03-22-2005, 02:08 PM
It's a nice step up for the A&M program, and it's good that they're making something of the opportunity by taking advantage of their chance to continue playing games and practicing. It should prove beneficial come next year.

Jimcs50
03-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Ballcox, you did not answer my question.

And that is BS that the NIT champ is the 65th best team. It is a well known fact that the teams that make the NCAA Tournament are not the 64 best teams in the country.

A&M beat 4 teams in the Tournament 65 team field, and all in blowouts, but their RPI was not good because they had a soft non-conference schedule, hence they were left out.

jalbre6
03-22-2005, 02:38 PM
IMO I would rather get to NIT, win 3 games, and make it to MSG and lose semis or finals than get to "Big Dance" and flame out in 1st round like Texas or Kansas.

You?

Actually, I wouldn't say that as a UT fan. We expect to see the team in the tournament every year. The Ags were a laughingstock in the Big 12 as recently as last season. I thought A&M got jobbed a bit by the selection committee anyway, and it's not surprising watching them winning games in the NIT. It's better for their program to be in a situation where they can play and win more games. If UT made the NIT and won two games most fans wouldn't give a shit. You Aggies have a very legitimate chance at making the semi's or even the finals. I'm not too impressed with St. Joe's, TCU, CS-Fullerton, UNLV, South Carolina, or Vandy. Personally, I think the NIT is Memphis' to lose, but if A&M wins tomorrow, they could pull off a postseason upset against a legit powerhouse program.

Anyway, nobody goes into either tournament to lose. Nevada outplayed Texas and the Horns lost. It's definitely better for A&M to play teams that they are capable of beating each round rather than be entered in the Big Dance as a 11 seed and get offered up to someone like Utah.

Program building W's against teams they'd never play during the regular season (I'm thinking of the 10-0 start against Schriener and company) is good for a school seeking a basketball identity. UT already has one.

The bigger question for Jim: What the hell would you do if Maryland and A&M met in the finals?

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-22-2005, 02:40 PM
Jim, I am pretty connected with Aggie hoops. At the time I made my post, it looked like we were going to get screwed. A lot of politicking over the weekend from a wide variety of sources is the only reason we're not playing at SJU Wednesday.

FromWayDowntown
03-22-2005, 02:43 PM
And that is BS that the NIT champ is the 65th best team. It is a well known fact that the teams that make the NCAA Tournament are not the 64 best teams in the country.

That might be true, but if any one of them won the tournament, there's no doubt that that team would be declared the best team in college basketball. Had Delaware State made some improbable run through the tournament and won the whole thing, nobody would have argued that the NIT champ was a better team.

Besides, the assumptions about lower-seeded teams being unworthy or somehow less-qualified are being debunked annually. Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Bucknell proved that they belonged in this field, and both are probably as good as almost any team in the NIT. On the other hand, put any of those NIT teams in a 1-16 matchup or in 2-15 or 3-14 pairings in the NCAA tournament, and I'm pretty sure none would have survived round 1.

A&M beat 4 teams in the Tournament 65 team field, and all in blowouts, but their RPI was not good because they had a soft non-conference schedule, hence they were left out.

Well, that's certainly a fact, but one of those wins was against a sub-.500 team (Oakland). But A&M also lost 7 games to tournament bound teams in conference play. They were 1-6 against the RPI top 50. I'd think the 3-7 record against tournament quality teams in conference and the poor showing against the top 50 didn't help their cause in trying to reach the tournament.

Jimcs50
03-22-2005, 04:26 PM
I would have to root for my Terps.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-22-2005, 09:07 PM
No one said it did, but they (A&M) also beat a current sweet 16 team (Tech) and played another (OSU) the closest out of anyone to visit Gallagher-Iba this year.

jalbre6
03-22-2005, 09:14 PM
No one said it did, but they (A&M) also beat a current sweet 16 team (Tech) and played another (OSU) the closest out of anyone to visit Gallagher-Iba this year.

Ummm, Texas won at Okie State March 5th.

Hook Dem
03-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Ummm, Texas won at Okie State March 5th.
:lol Very true. Good luck to the Aggies. I'll always support a team from Texas unless they're playing the Longhorns.

FromWayDowntown
03-22-2005, 10:09 PM

I assume you're responding to me. I'm not questioning the Aggies' successes this year. As I wrote before, I think their post-season run is a nice step up for the program and should pay dividends going forward.

I do take exception to the idea, though, that the Aggies warranted any real consideration for inclusion in the NCAA field. I can't see that the subsequent fact of Tech's success and a close loss should be sufficient to get a team into the real discussions for at-large bids. Sure, they beat a current Sweet 16 team and had a close loss at a tough venue, but those truths don't overcome the fact that the win against Tech was their only win in 7 chances against Top 50 teams. For crissakes, as a matter of percentages, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi had a better record (1-3) against teams in the RPI Top 50 this year!!

The Aggies had some nice wins this year for a building program, but they struggled far too often against good teams to have any realistic shot at the field of 65.

samikeyp
03-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Good luck to the Aggies. I'll always support a team from Texas unless they're playing the Longhorns.

I am the same way.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-23-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm really glad for the Aggies. I like their coach a lot.

A fact that a lot of folks don't know is that A&M had made a solid offer to Dave Bliss to leave New Mexico the year before he decided to 'retire' to Baylor. Imagine how different Aggie basketball might be right now had he taken that job.

Ballcox
03-23-2005, 12:42 PM
To answer your question Jim, no I would not prefer winning or advancing in the NIT as compared to losing in the first round of the big dance. Yes, Texas had a down year, but with the return of Aldridge and Tucker next year, along with McDonald's All-American Miles out of Dallas and a top PG recruit in Abrams, I see us a big time player in the tournament next season. No reason we can't make the final four.