PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Closer?

lakersuck
04-17-2009, 02:04 PM
There was a poll on espn.com to that asked who you want to have the ball when the game is on the line for your team. They had a couple of choices for each playoff team, some teams the choices are obvious, but for the spurs you could only pick between parker and duncan. i was surprised that parker won by a large margin. i would personally want duncan to take that shot but i was also surprised mason, and to a lesser extent considering his recent heroics, finley were not on that list. assuming they left out ginobili bc hes out for the POs but if he were healthy i think i still trust TD more.
interesting to know what spurs fans think...

samikeyp
04-17-2009, 02:06 PM
There was a poll on espn.com to that asked who you want to have the ball when the game is on the line for your team. They had a couple of choices for each playoff team, some teams the choices are obvious, but for the spurs you could only pick between parker and duncan. i was surprised that parker won by a large margin. i would personally want duncan to take that shot but i was also surprised mason, and to a lesser extent considering his recent heroics, finley were not on that list. assuming they left out ginobili bc hes out for the POs but if he were healthy i think i still trust TD more.
interesting to know what spurs fans think...

I would agree with you. I think Parker and Mason get the nod in most peoples eyes around the country because that is who you see on SportsCenter. TD is not flashy so he doesn't get the exposure. As long as he is healthy, 21 is the 1st option period.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-17-2009, 02:10 PM
It's a tough one. If you're talking about a "closer" in terms of taking over a fourth quarter the I think I would go with Parker. This year in particular he's become a guy who can get you three or four key hoops in the last few minutes. If you're talking about an inbounds play with a few seconds left I think I want Mason taking that shot. Part of it is that he's been so damn clutch so far, but the other reason is the nature of playoff officiating and the way that Parker and Duncan play close to the hoop. In the postseason a guy can get the living shit knocked out of him trying to do anything in the paint in the last seconds and the refs will swallow their whistles. I don't like it but it's the nature of the beast. Running Mason off a screen or two to free him up for a catch and shoot sounds like the best option.

GSH
04-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Tim Duncan with the 3-pointer in Phoenix last year. Tim Duncan with the last-second basket in the .4 game. Just to name a couple.

We're lucky enough to have several players who would be good choices - and don't leave Manu off the list, when he's healthy. But if you can get the ball into Tim's hands, I'll take my chances.

Nathan Explosion
04-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Parker is #3 in the league in clutch shooting this season, behind Lebron and Carmelo (is some order). The Sports Guy had it in his MVP Column. Seems Parker is getting less credit that he deserves in this regard.

But, I think Mason and Finley should be up there as well.

Spursmania
04-17-2009, 06:08 PM
I completely agree with the posts above. In years past, I would not have said that about Parker, but he is peaking now and brimming with confidence. Mason has proven he can hit big shots. Finley just helped us win the last 2. Of course, Timmy is always a great option. I'm glad I'm not Pop.

kamikazi_player
04-17-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't know who has the stat, but I heard from NBA announcers that the player with the best 4th quarter efficiency is Manu last season, Kobe was 2nd. Anyways back to the main point, I believe that Mason didn't have the experience in the playoffs yet, so that's probably why he wasn't on the list. Hitting a clutch shot in the regular season is different than in the playoffs.

exstatic
04-17-2009, 06:18 PM
It depends what you need, 2 or 3. If it's two, you give it to Tony and have Tim crash the boards. If it's 3, you give it to either Mase or Fin.

sananspursfan21
04-17-2009, 07:22 PM
It depends what you need, 2 or 3. If it's two, you give it to Tony and have Tim crash the boards. If it's 3, you give it to either Mase or Fin.

hit the nail on the head.

i would certainly trust mason for 3 with his incredible track record and finley could sink it. i would even consider bowen if he was in his favorite little corner of the court, he's hit clutch from there.

and for 2, only parker and duncan are dependable. as a whole, on offense the spurs team is really only good at 3's. nobody other than duncan or parker (or gino :() are truly reliable to score 2 pts.

HarlemHeat37
04-17-2009, 08:25 PM
generally in today's NBA, the closer is going to be the perimeter player, so Parker might be the choice..he wasn't as reliable in years past, but he's been clutch this year..

Duncan has proven to be one of the clutchest big men in NBA history though, so you can't go wrong..he's hit many, many big shots..

exstatic
04-17-2009, 08:57 PM
generally in today's NBA, the closer is going to be the perimeter player, so Parker might be the choice..he wasn't as reliable in years past, but he's been clutch this year..

Duncan has proven to be one of the clutchest big men in NBA history though, so you can't go wrong..he's hit many, many big shots..

They'll foul Duncan and make him earn them from the stripe. Not good.

Phenomanul
04-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Many Spurs are capable of hitting clutch baskets...

What Manu gives you, is the ability to get to the line at will in the clutch. When healthy, he's one of the best decision-makers in the league... especially in the clutch (minus the foul on Dirk - although he did drain the three the previous possession to give the Spurs the lead)... Let's not forget who whipped that pin-point accurate pass to Duncan last year... and who took the game winning shot that same game...

Parker began doing much of those things this year... hopefully it extends into the postseason... and hopefully the freethrows he missed against Boston last month were a fluke occurrence...

NewJerSpur
04-17-2009, 09:05 PM

:tu