PDA

View Full Version : Blazermania: Portland falls back in love with Trail Blazers

tlongII
04-17-2009, 06:21 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2009076872_blazers18.html

PORTLAND — So this is what Blazermania looks like. Red, black and white everywhere.

After a five-year absence, the Blazers return to the playoffs and Portland threw the team a party unlike any celebration this city has seen in a long time.

Beneath blue skies, roughly 10,000 Blazers fans crowded into downtown's Pioneer Courthouse Square, where they danced to 1970s music and cheered for their favorite players during a three-hour rally Thursday afternoon.

Team marketers called it an uprising in Rip City, but it felt more like a basketball revival hearkening to the Blazers' glorious past when Maurice Lucas and Bill Walton delivered an NBA championship in 1977, the city's only major professional sports title.

"When we first pulled up, I was thinking, 'All of this for making the playoffs?' " two-time All-Star Brandon Roy said onstage, as M-V-P chants echoed blocks away to the banks of the Willamette River. "I can only imagine what a championship will bring."

When it comes to Portland and the Trail Blazers, their relationship is essentially a classic love affair story: City meets NBA team. They fall in love. They fight and threaten to break up. And they get back together again.

Consider Thursday's rally the reunited portion of their 39-year sometimes rocky romance.

"People here live and die for the Portland Trail Blazers," said David Harris, 57, a North Portland native. "That's what we do because it's the only pro team we've got."

Adam Ross, a 25-year-old retail manager, has waited a long time for this day. It wasn't just the rally that attracted him and his 18-month-old son Connor, but rather the chance to cheer for a team that he could be proud of.

"There was a time I was almost embarrassed to say I was a fan," said Ross, a Boring, Ore., resident. "I was a closet fan. I would watch games on TV, but I wouldn't buy tickets or the gear. It was hard to claim them back then, but things are completely different now."

These Blazers, led by coach Nate McMillan and Roy, are the anti-Jail Blazers, their alter-ego in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Those teams disregarded the league's soft salary cap and adopted a win-at-all costs mentality that nearly killed Blazermania after a series of player arrests and run-ins with law enforcement.

"It feels like the locker room in here is a lot more together than it was," said forward Travis Outlaw, the longest tenured Blazer. "Everybody can get on each other. If another guy is doing something wrong, then you're more willing to help [rather] than sit back and watch. Before it was kind of like 'you're on your own.' "

It wasn't just Rasheed Wallace, Bonzi Wells, Ruben Patterson, J.R. Rider, et al who threatened to ruin the Blazers' relationship with Portland.

In 2004, Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, ranked by Forbes the third-richest man in the United States, put the Rose Garden into bankruptcy when the city wouldn't help bail him out. Back then, rumors circulated that Allen, who owns the Seahawks, had become more infatuated with the NFL and was looking to sell the Blazers and perhaps buy the cash-strapped Sonics.

During an interview Wednesday, Allen described the Blazers as "my first love" and gave no indication he ever considered leaving Portland.

"Some number of years ago when things were going in the opposite direction, a lot of people were disenchanted with our players and how they played on and off the court," Allen said. "I just made a decision that we were going to go in a different direction and so we were going to get players that reflected that new direction and bring in some different coaches."

The reclamation project began in 2005 when Allen hired McMillan while entrusting Kevin Pritchard, now the team's general manager, to skillfully rework the roster through the draft, trades and free agency.

"When I first got here, there were no fans that showed up to a game, but now they are definitely behind us," Outlaw said.

Wednesday's 104-76 victory over Denver marked the 68th consecutive sellout, dating to Dec. 21, 2007.

The win also gave Portland a share of the Northwest Division title, their first title since 1999 and guaranteed the fourth-seeded Blazers home-court advantage against No. 5 Houston in their first-round series, which begins Saturday.

These are happy days in the City of Roses.

The Blazers' 54-28 record is the most wins for a McMillan-coached team, surpassing the 52-30 record he posted during his final season in Seattle in 2004-05. It's also the most Blazers victories since the 1999-00 season, when they advanced to the Western Conference Finals.

Not even the most die-hard Blazers fan expects a similar run to the conference championship this year. Portland is the youngest team in the playoffs, which suggests many more playoff appearances are in their future and the team's rekindled love affair will continue to burn.

"I was a part of the Washington turnaround and that was great, but it was not like this," Roy said. "Man, these people are really into it. They love the Blazers. They feel like they are a part of it, like they are really on this team. Like they got numbers and lockers and everything.

"I've never seen anything like this in my life. Everybody kind of warned me that when you guys get it going, it's crazy. But I didn't imagine it would be like this. I mean, I can't go anywhere."

Roy's heart belongs to Seattle, but the longer he remains in Oregon, the former Garfield High and Washington Huskies star is becoming entrenched in this community that adores him.

"It really hit me my rookie year when I went to an Oregon State game," Roy said. "Just the year before I was a Husky and they booed me. I mean they were cussing at me and everything.

"A year later, I walk into the gym and they went crazy. They chanted my name. And I'm like, 'Man that's crazy.' And that let me know these people couldn't care less about what happened in college. All they cared about was I was doing good for the Blazers and they loved me for it. That connection between this team and this city, it's incredible."

Chris
04-17-2009, 06:47 PM
A breath of fresh air for Portland and their fans. They deserve it after all these years.

Roxsfan
04-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Fuck the TailGayzers.

21_Blessings
04-17-2009, 07:53 PM
No one gives a shit about your mediocre franchise. They'll hover around the West's playoffs for few years while being eliminated by the Lakers again and again. By that time Roy will be peaked out and Oden on the verge of retirement at age 26.

sook
04-17-2009, 07:55 PM
No one gives a shit about your mediocre franchise. They'll hover around the West's playoffs for few years while being eliminated by the Lakers again and again. By that time Roy will be peaked out and Oden on the verge of retirement at age 26.

http://badpussy.org/uploads/files/aang7gs1nqwgh77jy3bv.jpg
http://badpussy.org/uploads/files/mpmd938mlc82crodx0ex.jpg

scanry
04-17-2009, 07:58 PM

Roy is freaking 24 you moron. When Roy is in his prime, Kobe will be gone...

You seriously think Andrew Bynum can carry the Lakers??

21_Blessings
04-17-2009, 08:07 PM
You seriously think Andrew Bynum can carry the Lakers??

You seriously think Kobe is going to be gone at 34? You're retarded.

21_Blessings
04-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Besides that, at age 24 Kobe was averaging 30, 6, 6 and was already a 3 time champion. Roy has fucking nothing on Kobe. And he turns 25 in like two months.

DrHouse
04-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Clearly the majority of posters here have no knowledge of history.

So pull up a chair and let the Dr. edumacate your dumbasses. There are few things in life that are constant......POR getting their hearts broken to the Lakers in the playoffs is one of them. Throughout history we have seen the Lakers obliterate their hopes and dreams time and time again, even when it appeared victory was right in their grasp. So when people prop this Blazer team up as the next dynasty I can only laugh. I've seen this before and I know how it will play out.

As long as the Lakers are the dominant force in the WC POR will never sniff a championship. That much is certain.

JordanL
04-17-2009, 10:00 PM
As long as the Lakers are the dominant force in the WC POR will never sniff a championship. That much is certain.

So like... for two years or so then.

Chris
04-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Who's talking about a dynasty? They're just happy to go to the dance.

tlongII
04-17-2009, 11:33 PM
We're coming for you LA. Believe that.

lil_penny
04-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Go blazers!!!!!!

scanry
04-18-2009, 12:22 AM
You seriously think Kobe is going to be gone at 34? You're retarded.

An NBA player's peak is at around 28-32 and i don't see Kobe playing at the age of 35-36. I seriously don't, he has way too many miles on those chicken legs. If he does, his productivity will be down for sure.

BTW Kobe had a dominant big man on his side. What does Roy have? Oden & Grandmilla!! :rolleyes

Spursfan092120
04-18-2009, 12:34 AM
So let me get this straight..someone wrote an entire article on Portland being full of bandwagon fans?

Spursfan092120
04-18-2009, 12:37 AM

So pull up a chair and let the Dr. edumacate your dumbasses. There are few things in life that are constant......POR getting their hearts broken to the Lakers in the playoffs is one of them. Throughout history we have seen the Lakers obliterate their hopes and dreams time and time again, even when it appeared victory was right in their grasp. So when people prop this Blazer team up as the next dynasty I can only laugh. I've seen this before and I know how it will play out.

Nice edumucation, House..except for the fact that you can't call yourself a dominant force when you haven't won a title in 7 years...seriously dude...two times making it to the finals in 7 years with no rings while the Spurs have WON 3 rings in that time doesn't quite make the Lakers dominant..nice try though.

BUMP
04-18-2009, 12:39 AM
So let me get this straight..someone wrote an entire article on Portland being full of bandwagon fans?

:lol

holy shit you got to 3,000 posts quick.

idk how you guys do it. sneaky, ive been here for almost 3 years, have no life and post here everyday and somehow im not there yet:bang

lil_penny
04-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Nice edumucation, House..except for the fact that you can't call yourself a dominant force when you haven't won a title in 7 years...seriously dude...two times making it to the finals in 7 years with no rings while the Spurs have WON 3 rings in that time doesn't quite make the Lakers dominant..nice try though.

i think he was meaning the spurs, i dont know how he got so mixed up he put the lakers:lol

Spursfan092120
04-18-2009, 12:42 AM
:lol

holy shit you got to 3,000 posts quick.

idk how you guys do it. sneaky, ive been here for almost 3 years, have no life and post here everyday and somehow im not there yet:bang
LOL...it's alright Bump...we all love your posts though...I never even keep up with my own posts..lol...but I do post a lot...I like to say what's on my mind..lol...

BUMP
04-18-2009, 12:43 AM

this is about as arrogant of a post as it gets.

but its 100% true. sorry Portland fans:lol

Spursfan092120
04-18-2009, 12:43 AM
i think he was meaning the spurs, i dont know how he got so mixed up he put the lakers:lol
Typical Laker fan..they think that just because David Stern WANTS them to win the title every year that they automatically DO win it every year. They think they're the best team every year, yet they never seem to pull it off. Oh well...we should be used to it.

lil_penny
04-18-2009, 12:49 AM
Ive got many friends who are Laker fans, they love their team.. just as we all love ours.. however house is probably the biggest laker douche/nuthugger ive ever had a chance to talk with... you could put 21 palins up there with him also...

DrHouse
04-18-2009, 12:54 AM
The proof is in the pudding.

The Lakers have eliminated the Blazers from the playoffs the last 5 out of 7 times they've made it.

I don't make this shit up.

KSeal
04-18-2009, 01:05 AM

I'm dying to see Portland in the second round.

ginobili's bald spot
04-18-2009, 01:21 AM

:lol My thoughts exactly.

JoeTait75
04-18-2009, 01:58 AM

Sports franchises are businesses the same as any other. No restaurant that serves bad food and has roaches in the kitchen would feel entitled to anyone's loyalty; neither should a franchise that runs out scumbags like Ruben Patterson.

BUMP
04-18-2009, 02:06 AM
i still think

JailBlazers>this group

that team was pretty special when they were on the same page. too bad they lived in the era of the 3peat Lakers and the fact that they were a bunch of knuckleheads

Chris
04-18-2009, 04:11 AM
... neither should a franchise that runs out scumbags like Ruben Patterson.

Remember when he called himself the "Kobe Stopper"! :lol They asked Kobe about it he was like "whatever man if thats what he thinks" with that cheshire grin of his. I think the next year was when Patterson's career went downhill.

JoeTait75
04-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Remember when he called himself the "Kobe Stopper"! :lol They asked Kobe about it he was like "whatever man if thats what he thinks" with that cheshire grin of his. I think the next year was when Patterson's career went downhill.

Yeah, between that, raping his babysitter, and beating the shit out of some random guy in the Cleveland Flats who he decided keyed his Mercedes, Ruben's been a real champion in life.

KSeal
04-19-2009, 03:06 AM

:lmao

ginobili's bald spot
04-19-2009, 06:19 AM

Oh noes!!!!

Kamnik
04-19-2009, 06:29 AM
Dominating performance by the Blazers! :P

redzero
04-19-2009, 08:58 AM
I can't wait to see more Blazers playoff basketball.

tlongII
04-19-2009, 09:37 AM
That sucked. I hope Scola isn't allowed to play D by pushing Aldridge with both his hands in his back next game. Horribly officiated game.

redzero
04-19-2009, 09:39 AM
That sucked. I hope Scola isn't allowed to play D by pushing Aldridge with both his hands in his back next game. Horribly officiated game.

Don't complain about officiating. Even if it was bad, there is no excuse for the Fail Blazers getting blown out in their own arena, after all the hype and the rallies.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
04-19-2009, 09:44 AM
What now Tail Gayzers, you found out that is not the same playing in the playoffs than the regular season.

GuerillaBlack
04-19-2009, 09:49 AM

The Rockets would have still won in a blowout if the refs didn't call half the things they called. It was a good officiated game. Especially with Stern in the house. LOL at the Blazer fans chanting "these refs suck" though. Wonder what Stern thought.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
04-19-2009, 10:00 AM
The whole state of Oregon should prohibit the sell of knives and guns. And to everyone that has them to turn them in to the nearest police station. Those people might commit suicide once their young team gets knocked out by the Rockets.

sook
04-19-2009, 10:08 AM

Wth are you talking about? Maybe Aldridge should be a man and maybe Pryzbilla should stop falling down before Yao even gets position...isn't he going to back his shit up?

I want Yao, bring him on, I will carry him on my shoulders.-Before the game

Roxsfan
04-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Wth are you talking about? Maybe Aldridge should be a man and maybe Pryzbilla should stop falling down before Yao even gets position...isn't he going to back his shit up?

-Before the game

Ha, good call.

Wow, t.thong making excuses...LOL

BUMP
04-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Rocketfan you still dont have a chance, what have the last 10 years taught you?

There is a few things in life that are certain, taxes, aging, and Rocketfan getting his heart broken in the 1st round only in various forms. this year will be no different, id just hate for you guys to get your hopes up

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-04/26/xinsrc_ab42bbc489a64a0381e9758899adabd8_r.jpg

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/52774307.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939847EC77F5F8D1CE8DC4CE45BCCC4E74 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a3/fullj.0674e4fe281dbc7c19ad5f9d9614345d/0674e4fe281dbc7c19ad5f9d9614345d-getty-82991229mm014_rock_jazz.jpg

Indazone
04-19-2009, 11:05 AM

You mean like Pryzbilla with two hands in Yao's back all game and no call?

Caltex2
04-19-2009, 12:34 PM

There is a few things in life that are certain, taxes, aging, and Rocketfan getting his heart broken in the 1st round only in various forms. this year will be no different, id just hate for you guys to get your hopes up

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-04/26/xinsrc_ab42bbc489a64a0381e9758899adabd8_r.jpg

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/52774307.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939847EC77F5F8D1CE8DC4CE45BCCC4E74 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a3/fullj.0674e4fe281dbc7c19ad5f9d9614345d/0674e4fe281dbc7c19ad5f9d9614345d-getty-82991229mm014_rock_jazz.jpg

Well the previous 10 years taught us that we were among the most clutch organizations in the league while the Mavericks...did they even play in the 90's? :lmao

Things change, otherwise no team that failed to get out of the first round, win their conference, win a title, etc... would ever do it.

jack sommerset
04-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Portland was losing by 25 and that crowd was still going nuts cheering for them. I never heard anything like that. They might have the best fans!

Double-Up
04-19-2009, 01:09 PM

Yea whatever makes you sleep better at night...:rolleyes

sribb43
04-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Portland was losing by 25 and that crowd was still going nuts cheering for them. I never heard anything like that. They might have the best fans!

The JailBlazers teams were much mroe entertaining them that crap we witnessed last night....at least Sheed would create some excitement with his tech's

redzero
04-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Knowing that Portland sucks so much that its inhabitants have to obsess over a basketball team, they probably will go crazy if they are swept in the first round.