PDA

View Full Version : My first-round Spurs/Mavs preview

Findog
04-17-2009, 07:48 PM
The Mavs will win if:

- Good Josh instead of Bad Josh shows up
- Dirk and Jet have to have big series
- Parker is anything less than stellar. At a minimum he has to be terrific for the Spurs to have any chance.
- Tim Duncan can't punish them for single coverage and command a double consistently
- Drew Gooden doesn't provide a scoring punch off the bench to offset his shaky defense
- The Spurs 3-pt shooters either go cold or are not given many looks

The Spurs will win if:
- Bad Josh instead of Good Josh shows up
- Duncan goes to another gear and forces the Mavs to commit a double for long stretches
- Parker continues to take ample advantage of the lack of good perimeter defense from the Mavs
- The Spurs 3-pt shooters consistently do their part when they get good looks
- The Spurs do a good job of forcing Dirk to put the ball on the floor and double his driving lanes, then force him to make split-second decisions with the ball. Dirk has been known to turn in poor series from time to time (Houston 2005, Golden State 2007), although he is generally a good playoff performer.
- The Spurs get contributions from the likes of Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka in keeping Jason Terry and Josh Howard in check

I think with a healthy Ginobili, it's an easy call - Spurs in 6. Ultimately San Antonio is better defensively, better coached, more disciplined and tougher mentally, although Jason Kidd has started to rub off on his teammates in that regard. Both teams have certain advantages that the other has trouble effectively countering. I think the above factors combined with HCA get the Spurs through. Spurs in 7 is my prediction, but this is a very winnable series for Dallas.

duncan228
04-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Nicely done Findog. :tu

I'm looking forward to Duncan's Playoff gear. A few weeks ago I wasn't sure he'd be able to kick it in. But I think he can, and will. With Parker playing at such a high level, and Duncan being the difference maker he can be, it's a matter of the rest of the team falling in around them. I like our chances.

No matter what happens, it's going to be a good one. On the court and on SpursTalk.

Sportstudi
04-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Nicely done Findog. :tu

I'm looking forward to Duncan's Playoff gear. A few weeks ago I wasn't sure he'd be able to kick it in. But I think he can, and will. With Parker playing at such a high level, and Duncan being the difference maker he can be, it's a matter of the rest of the team falling in around them. I like our chances.

No matter what happens, it's going to be a good one. On the court and on SpursTalk.

I really have to say that I like your roundups duncan228. You're fair to every team, you're giving nice insights, that's really perfect.

sook
04-17-2009, 08:01 PM
spurs in 4, i will win me some of Kori's cash!

duncan228
04-17-2009, 08:22 PM
I really have to say that I like your roundups duncan228. You're fair to every team, you're giving nice insights, that's really perfect.

Thank you. :)

My hope is simply to spark conversation.

I do preview threads for every Spurs game, and I try to cover the other team in them. It's good to see both sides, it gives a better perspective. And hopefully that leads to more conversation.

Sorry for the interruption, back to Findog's thread. :)

Ghazi
04-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Fin you think if the Mavs win this series it'll have any sway in resigning Kidd next year or is he a goner regardless. Or is he a stayer regardless!

I really don't wanna throw in towel next year w/o a 1st rounder.

BlackSwordsMan
04-17-2009, 08:42 PM
If mavs beat spurs they will be 2006 and 2009 champs

BUMP
04-17-2009, 08:51 PM
If mavs beat spurs they will be 2006 and 2009 champs

SpurFan version of Rogue?

dirk4mvp
04-17-2009, 08:57 PM
SpurFan version of Rogue?

Maybe if it went something like

although our beloved boys in blue won't have shiney polished trophies to show at the headquarters of the mavericks for their determined work, mentally and at their souls they will be the champions of the years 2009 and 2006.

ok i suck as rogue.

but blackswordsman is just an assgoblin.

IronMexican
04-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Blackswordsman is 13

BUMP
04-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Maybe if it went something like

although our beloved boys in blue won't have shiney polished trophies to show at the headquarters of the mavericks for their determined work, mentally and at their souls they will be the champions of the years 2009 and 2006.

ok i suck as rogue.

:lol

our beloved boys did strike gold in the year 2006 when we behead the dragon known as the miami cheat. Next in line are the enemies in silver who are much tougher than the shit known as the Rockets. it will be a grueling set of matches however our beloved boys in blue will take it in six games:lobt2:

dirk4mvp
04-17-2009, 09:05 PM
:lol

our beloved boys did strike gold in the year 2006 when we behead the dragon known as the miami cheat. Next in line are the enemies in silver who are much tougher than the shit known as the Rockets. it will be a grueling set of matches however our beloved boys in blue will take it in six games:lobt2:

:rollin

IronMexican
04-17-2009, 09:08 PM
ROFL that was like a Rogue post.

Brickhouse
04-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Everyone knows the Spurs will play at a higher level, just depends on which Mavs show up. The one we've seen the last two weeks or the one we've seen all season long.

Since the latter has a better chance of happening, I say Spurs in 6.

Brazil
04-17-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't like this serie at all, I'm just happy to see beloved balck boys with the HCA and with an healthy Tim Duncan

Mugen
04-17-2009, 10:28 PM
i just hope theres nothing to see here and that the spurs just make the shots that they are supposed to make.

Findog
04-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Fin you think if the Mavs win this series it'll have any sway in resigning Kidd next year or is he a goner regardless. Or is he a stayer regardless!

I really don't wanna throw in towel next year w/o a 1st rounder.

I think it's impossible to say at this point. I would make it a high priority to resign him for 1 year. Give him another $20 million if you have to. It's my understanding that they can go over the cap to resign him. Give him a large one-year offer and see what he does. It's all about flexibility for 2010. I think he has another good year left in him, and it's taken 14 months, but they seem to have finally forged an identity with him. They really struggled to adjust to him for the longest time, and now that he's finally integrated into the team, it would suck to have to start from scratch again.

Morg1411
04-17-2009, 10:53 PM

I have no idea what an assgoblin is. I don't want to know.

But that's some funny shit. :lmao

Jacob1983
04-17-2009, 11:59 PM
If you go the NBA section of yahoo sports, you can watch Kenny Smith's picks. He's picking the Mavs to get to the WCF. He has the Lakers and Cavs in the Finals with Lakers winning. I was surprised to see how many members of the national sports media are picking the Mavs for this series. I figured it would be the other way around with most sports people picking the Spurs in the series.

Ghazi
04-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Based on what I've seen the media's split on this series.

Sportstudi
04-18-2009, 05:19 AM
Thank you. :)

My hope is simply to spark conversation.

I do preview threads for every Spurs game, and I try to cover the other team in them. It's good to see both sides, it gives a better perspective. And hopefully that leads to more conversation.

Sorry for the interruption, back to Findog's thread. :)

Ups, you're right :lol

But it was meant in general. Same with timvp. It's enjoyable to read such posts while being surrounded by some moronic trolls.