PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Finley Savoring Playoffs As Career Winds Down

duncan228
04-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Finley savoring playoffs as career winds down (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Finley_savoring_playoffs_as_career_winds_down.html )
Mike Monroe

Nothing about these playoffs will be routine for Spurs forward Michael Finley, a 36-year-old playing in his 13th season.

Finley made it clear on Friday that he understands he is in the twilight of his career, so he intends to savor the experience.

“I don't know about the other guys,” he said, “but I'm a little up in age, so I know my window of opportunity — not only for advancing in the playoffs, but being in the league — is closing. So I, myself, want to take advantage of these opportunities that I have and not take for granted any game, any practice or any meeting.

“I'm soaking it all in, knowing the time for me to hang it up is near.”

Finley has missed only six games in his four seasons with the Spurs; only one in the past three seasons. His shooting percentages this season — 43.7 percent overall, and 41.1 from 3-point range — are the best of his time with the Spurs. He has a player option to play the 2009-10 season with the Spurs.

Bracing for Mavs: Spurs power forward Tim Duncan said the rest he has gotten over the past two weeks has him feeling more like himself as the playoffs begin.

Duncan said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's decision to hold him out of last Sunday's game at Sacramento, ahead of a Monday game against Golden State in which he played only 23 minutes in a blowout victory, has had the desired effect on knees that gave him pain all season.

“It worked out at the end of the season that I got a good schedule going,” he said. “Within a five or six-day period, I played about 20 minutes against Golden State, and then I had the final game. So just have to give Pop a lot of credit. I didn't do a lot during that stretch and was able to get my legs back.”

Duncan sported a large, composite brace on his left knee at Friday's practice but called it a practice precaution.

“I'm just trying to get used to it,” he said. “It's a precautionary, in-practice thing.”

Howard OK: Mavericks forward Josh Howard, who has been bothered all season by a left ankle injury, is expected to be in the starting lineup for tonight's Game 1.

Howard sat out Monday's game against the Minnesota Timberwolves to rest the sore ankle but played 36 minutes in Dallas' season finale victory over Houston on Wednesday. He has sprained the ankle twice this season, most recently on March 5. He missed 11 games, returning on March 31.

Spurtacus
04-18-2009, 12:08 AM
I hope he plays his butt off. We need him to knock down those 3's.

raspsa
04-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Finley savoring playoffs as career winds down (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Finley_savoring_playoffs_as_career_winds_down.html )
Mike Monroe

Duncan said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's decision to hold him out of last Sunday's game at Sacramento, ahead of a Monday game against Golden State in which he played only 23 minutes in a blowout victory, has had the desired effect on knees that gave him pain all season.

I'm curious why the team doctors & trainers weren't more concerned about Ducan's knees earlier on in the season if they were already causing him pain back then?

duncan228
04-18-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm curious why the team doctors & trainers weren't more concerned about Ducan's knees earlier on in the season if they were already causing him pain back then?

I don't know what kind of attention they gave Duncan, the Spurs tend to keep things quiet.

I do know that Duncan's left knee is a chronic issue, it's been bothering him to some degree for years.

The tendonosis in his right was diagnosed the end of February, after he couldn't play in the Mavs game.

I don't know if he's ever had any problems with his right knee before, that's the first we officially heard about it. But he had worn a sleeve on his right knee a few times this season, before the diagnosis.

I would think the trainers and doctors knew, even though we didn't.

raspsa
04-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Its ironic that all the pre-season workouts probably contributed to his knee problems. Timmy started the season in the best shape of recent years but the wear and tear finally caught up with him. I don't know what kind of training regimen he'll undergo before next season starts but hopefully they manage to save his knees while still getting him in decent shape.

lil_penny
04-18-2009, 02:51 AM
finley made some big shots the last couple regular season games for you guys, i can see him hitting some more in the playoffs.

crc21209
04-18-2009, 03:04 AM
I love Fin..as a player and as a person. Great all-around guy. Do it for Mike...lets get past these assholes.

Manufan909
04-18-2009, 05:13 AM
I hope this means he has privately decided to retire after the playoffs are over. I sincerely hope the Spurs can get him another ring to send him off in style.

timvp
04-18-2009, 05:22 AM
Finely has been playing all out recently. You know he really wants to beat these damn Mavs. Hopefully his wish comes true.

Texas_Ranger
04-18-2009, 05:35 AM
k8oPkdESp5U

bigdog
04-18-2009, 10:40 AM
I love Fin. Obviously I hope we beat the shit out of the Mavs, but I also hope Mike plays his ass off in this series. It sounds like this year or next year will be his last, and I hope he goes out in style, with another ring.

Summers
04-18-2009, 10:40 AM
One of my favorite memories from the 07 chamionsip was Finley grabbing Duncan and saying, "I love you, man!" I was so happy for him. A little jealous, but that's a different story...

BlackBellamy
04-18-2009, 10:51 AM
finley made some big shots the last couple regular season games for you guys, i can see him hitting some more in the playoffs.
Really! He should just play full tilt on those old legs at some point during this playoffs. Show us a flash of the Finley we knew with the Mavs. Injury be damned, he is still that fella' inside somewhere. It seems like now or never to let him out. Also, he generally shows up pretty well against the Mavs. (see dunk followed by headbutting the ball)

Borosai
04-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Make it count.