PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Mavericks Hot On And Off The Floor

duncan228
04-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Mavericks hot on and off the floor (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mavericks_hot_on_and_off_the_floor.html)
Mike Monroe

The No. 6 seed Dallas Mavericks come into this first-round series against the Spurs with a chip on their shoulders and a point to prove.

Ousted in the first round each of the past two years — shockingly in 2007, routinely in 2008 — the Mavericks believe their steady improvement over the final weeks of the regular season has them well positioned for a strong series against a Spurs team with which they share some playoff history, good and bad.

Just making the playoffs looked like a questionable goal for the Mavericks when they got to mid-January with a record of 22-17 in the competitive Western Conference. Then, after forward Josh Howard suffered a second ankle sprain in March, they finished the month losing five of nine games.

With Howard back for all but one game in April, the Mavs won six of their final eight, including a season finale victory over Houston that helped the Spurs take the Southwest Division title from Houston and jumped Dallas into the No. 6 seed.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich believes the Mavericks lately have been playing “better than almost anybody in the league.”

Mavs coach Rick Carlisle won't go quite that far, but he likes what he has seen of late.

“I wouldn't say we're playing great basketball,” Carlisle told reporters Friday in Dallas, “but we've improved gradually as the last two months have gone on. We just want to keep building on that.”

The Mavericks are playing now with a sense of righteous indignation.

Mavericks guard Jason Terry, the favorite to succeed Manu Ginobili as the NBA's Sixth Man Award winner, told reporters on Friday he is tired of listening to talking heads spouting disrespect about the Mavs.

“It feels disrespectful when you watch those shows on TNT and ESPN, and they say, ‘Just walk through the Mavericks,' and ‘that's who you want to play.'

“So, we'll see if that's who you want to play.”

Carlisle, who replaced 2006 Coach of the Year Avery Johnson, leaves the outrage to others. His goal is to keep his players focused on the task at hand and the ultimate goal.

“This is a franchise that is a championship franchise,” he said, “and if you don't win a championship, it's going to be considered a failure. This is why we all play. And that's the goal of 15 other teams right now, too.

“We're going to do everything possible to play our best, as is San Antonio, and everybody else in the playoffs.”

G-Nob
04-17-2009, 11:24 PM
“We're going to do everything possible to play our best, as is San Antonio, and everybody else in the playoffs.”

Generic comment of the year.

wisnub
04-17-2009, 11:29 PM
“I wouldn't say we're playing great basketball,” Carlisle told reporters Friday in Dallas, “but we've improved gradually as the last two months have gone on. We just want to keep building on that.”

I like this, he shown humble on good streaks....

Mavericks guard Jason Terry, the favorite to succeed Manu Ginobili as the NBA's Sixth Man Award winner, told reporters on Friday he is tired of listening to talking heads spouting disrespect about the Mavs.

“It feels disrespectful when you watch those shows on TNT and ESPN, and they say, ‘Just walk through the Mavericks,' and ‘that's who you want to play.'

This clown is a jackoff...JT likes to talk alot and his team getting beat every single time. Even by 8th seeds with the biggest upset in NBA. Still he boast and consistent to talk trash and shown he can only talk but not back it up. Why I even bother this looser in the first place anyway. MAvs will never reach Finals again, I mean ever...

Carlisle, who replaced 2006 Coach of the Year Avery Johnson, leaves the outrage to others. His goal is to keep his players focused on the task at hand and the ultimate goal.

“This is a franchise that is a championship franchise,” he said, “and if you don't win a championship, it's going to be considered a failure. This is why we all play. And that's the goal of 15 other teams right now, too.

Champiopnship Franchise?? Since when Dallas won any championship?? Maybe when tv was not yet invented. Maybe he is referring to Spurs or Lakers.

crc21209
04-18-2009, 03:12 AM
One MAJOR reason I hate the Mavs...Jason Terry. I hope the Spurs shut his dumb ass up.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-18-2009, 08:35 AM
dear mr terry, and I use mr quite loosely. one should earn respect. not demand it. when will y'all ever learn.

viva las espuelas!!!!

stéphane
04-18-2009, 08:55 AM

Typical whining Terry answer.
He better watch Spurs tapes than BSPN shows to prove the media are disrespectfull.

Findog
04-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Generic comment of the year.

I think bulletin board stuff can backfire. In theory in doesn't make sense, guys are going to be playing hard in the playoffs anyway, regardless of what is said or not said...but on some level I think it can make a difference. Sometimes a guy just needs a little bit more kick or fire in him for it to really show up on the court.

tmtcsc
04-18-2009, 11:05 AM
“This is a franchise that is a championship franchise,” he said, “and if you don't win a championship, it's going to be considered a failure."

Really ? Since when is Dallas a championship franchise ? If YOU don't win a championship its going to be considered just another typical Dallas Mavericks season. -- No worries.

ElNono
04-18-2009, 11:20 AM
With two straight flameouts in the first round as precedent... sure, they ARE the team everybody wants to play.

BlackBellamy
04-18-2009, 11:33 AM
The title makes it sound like they've been stripping in the evenings er sumfin'.

BlackBellamy
04-18-2009, 11:40 AM
“This is a franchise that is a championship franchise,” he said, “and if you don't win a championship, it's going to be considered a failure."

Really ? Since when is Dallas a championship franchise ? If YOU don't win a championship its going to be considered just another typical Dallas Mavericks season. -- No worries.

Man I think the Mavs even making it to the playoffs this year is a victory for the franchise. So by that definition of satisfaction or failure, in the whole existence of the Maverick organization, they've only and constantly experienced failure? Seems a bit bleak. Sad really.