PDA

View Full Version : Official first round playoff predictions 2009

SpursDynasty
04-18-2009, 11:52 AM
With the seeds set, here are my official first round predictions. Once again, nothing personal in this thread against anyone in the NBA, its teams, anyone on SpursTalk, or Kori and timpvp. Also, no trash talking here, just opinions.

First Round

WEST

1. Lakers vs. Jazz - This is (Utah, aside from the Spurs), the last team that the Lakers would want to run into. This won't be a cakewalk series. The Lakers will get physically beat up in this one. The Lakers swept their first round last year, but this one will go 6 games with Utah coming out on top. Utah will win all games at home and steal one of the first 2 at Staples. Utah in 6. Pretty good regular season at 65-17 for LA but the playoffs are a different story than the regular season. The Lakers had a lot of shots, calls, opponent injuries, and bounces to go their way in the regular season but that doesn't mean anything come playoff time. Just ask the 67-15 Mavs from a few years ago. What happens if the Lakers miss their shots? Then what? What happens if someone finally figures out that Pau Gasol is the one that needs to be stopped and not Kobe? The Lakers have been BS'ing all year. The Utah/LA series of last season was a Deron Williams shot from going to Game 7. This series won't be an "upset", Utah will just go out and do what they're supposed to do, they are the favorites in this series. Pau Gasol isn't that good, he just rebounds and does layups. He can't create his own scoring without Kobe drawing all the attention or another Laker bricking a shot.

2. Nuggets vs. Hornets - Both teams are wishy washy so I'm not sure about this one, don't really care...no offense to the Nuggets or Hornets. New Orleans was 56-26 last year, and finished 49-33. A 7 game drop. I expected better out of this team. I still say New Orleans comes out on top. The Nuggets at 54-28 somewhat overachieved. New Orleans in 5. Not much else to say here. David West is a good jumpshooter but as he learned against the Spurs last year: What if the shots don't go in?

3. Spurs vs. Mavericks - Every time these teams meet it's a thriller. The Mavericks got by on Manu's foul, shooting BS shots, and being in the right place at the right time in 2006 and in the 12 meetings between the two teams since that series the Spurs have won 6 and the Mavericks won 6. This series will be different though. The Mavericks have been eliminated in the first round in 2007 and 2008 and are soft in the playoffs. Spurs in 4, in 5 if the Mavericks get lucky.

4. Rockets vs. Blazers - I wish there were some way where after a playoff series, both teams could be eliminated, because these two teams are the ones I like the least out of all West playoff teams. The Rockets and Blazers both have no business being in the playoffs. These are probably the 2 worst teams in all of the playoffs, East and West. Because Portland has homecourt, they'll win and let's see if they give Utah a good series in the 2nd round. I don't necessarily expect to see anything impressive in this series from either team. Both just shoot shots and if they go in, they go in. But what if they don't? Again, two teams that I don't care for and are completely irrelevent in the playoff picture.

EAST

1. Cavaliers vs. Pistons - I originally said Cleveland would go home in the ECF's but after seeing who their first round opponent is, I pick Detroit in this series in 6 and here's why. This team is the Eastern Conference equivalent of the Spurs as far as consistency goes. Detroit has been in every Conference Finals since the 2002-2003 season. Six straight conference finals appearances...that's about as good as you can get. Cleveland, like the Lakers and like the 2006-2007, has just been getting their shots to fall and all the calls, bounces, and opponent injuries to happen at the right time. Being in the right place at the right time will get you far in the regular season, but once the playoffs start, it's time to start playing some real basketball. Cleveland has just been kind of BS'ing through and I'm just not buying into them. 27 game difference between Cleveland and Detroit but Detroit has nothing to prove here, they're a perennial contender and will just go out and do what they're supposed to do. Detroit is the favorite in the series.

2. Celtics vs. Bulls - Celtics in 5. Nothing more to say. KG being out will hurt this team though later on.

3. Magic vs. 76ers - The 76ers have shown the league that they are to be taken seriously. They beat Cleveland to prevent them from going 40-1 at home. Orlando doesn't have any solid leaders on the floor and lacks a quality big man in the middle, so they'll struggle in the paint. This is a mostly jump shooting team and I'm not buying into their offense. Again, another team that gets shots to fall at the right times in the regular season, but what happens in the playoffs when things tighten up? Rashard Lewis won't be able to lead his team to a series victory here. 76ers in 6.

4. Hawks vs. Heat - The Hawks emerged last year in the playoffs but have been pretty anticlimactic since. Since Miami has the league MVP in Dwayne Wade, they'll dispatch of the Hawks in 6 games at the most. Not much else to say here.

JoeTait75
04-18-2009, 11:54 AM
1. Cavaliers vs. Pistons - I originally said Cleveland would go home in the ECF's but after seeing who their first round opponent is, I pick Detroit in this series in 6 and here's why. This team is the Eastern Conference equivalent of the Spurs as far as consistency goes. Detroit has been in every Conference Finals since the 2002-2003 season. Six straight conference finals appearances...that's about as good as you can get. Cleveland, like the Lakers and like the 2006-2007, has just been getting their shots to fall and all the calls, bounces, and opponent injuries to happen at the right time. Being in the right place at the right time will get you far in the regular season, but once the playoffs start, it's time to start playing some real basketball. Cleveland has just been kind of BS'ing through and I'm just not buying into them. 27 game difference between Cleveland and Detroit but Detroit has nothing to prove here, they're a perennial contender and will just go out and do what they're supposed to do. Detroit is the favorite in the series.

Thanks, bro. :toast

DeadlyDynasty
04-18-2009, 12:20 PM
With the seeds set, here are my official first round predictions. Once again, nothing personal in this thread against anyone in the NBA, its teams, anyone on SpursTalk, or Kori and timpvp. Also, no trash talking here, just opinions.

First Round

WEST

1. Lakers vs. Jazz - This is (Utah, aside from the Spurs), the last team that the Lakers would want to run into. This won't be a cakewalk series. The Lakers will get physically beat up in this one. The Lakers swept their first round last year, but this one will go 6 games with Utah coming out on top. Utah will win all games at home and steal one of the first 2 at Staples. Utah in 6. Pretty good regular season at 65-17 for LA but the playoffs are a different story than the regular season. The Lakers had a lot of shots, calls, opponent injuries, and bounces to go their way in the regular season but that doesn't mean anything come playoff time. Just ask the 67-15 Mavs from a few years ago. What happens if the Lakers miss their shots? Then what? What happens if someone finally figures out that Pau Gasol is the one that needs to be stopped and not Kobe? The Lakers have been BS'ing all year. The Utah/LA series of last season was a Deron Williams shot from going to Game 7. This series won't be an "upset", Utah will just go out and do what they're supposed to do, they are the favorites in this series. Pau Gasol isn't that good, he just rebounds and does layups. He can't create his own scoring without Kobe drawing all the attention or another Laker bricking a shot.

2. Nuggets vs. Hornets - Both teams are wishy washy so I'm not sure about this one, don't really care...no offense to the Nuggets or Hornets. New Orleans was 56-26 last year, and finished 49-33. A 7 game drop. I expected better out of this team. I still say New Orleans comes out on top. The Nuggets at 54-28 somewhat overachieved. New Orleans in 5. Not much else to say here. David West is a good jumpshooter but as he learned against the Spurs last year: What if the shots don't go in?

3. Spurs vs. Mavericks - Every time these teams meet it's a thriller. The Mavericks got by on Manu's foul, shooting BS shots, and being in the right place at the right time in 2006 and in the 12 meetings between the two teams since that series the Spurs have won 6 and the Mavericks won 6. This series will be different though. The Mavericks have been eliminated in the first round in 2007 and 2008 and are soft in the playoffs. Spurs in 4, in 5 if the Mavericks get lucky.

4. Rockets vs. Blazers - I wish there were some way where after a playoff series, both teams could be eliminated, because these two teams are the ones I like the least out of all West playoff teams. The Rockets and Blazers both have no business being in the playoffs. These are probably the 2 worst teams in all of the playoffs, East and West. Because Portland has homecourt, they'll win and let's see if they give Utah a good series in the 2nd round. I don't necessarily expect to see anything impressive in this series from either team. Both just shoot shots and if they go in, they go in. But what if they don't? Again, two teams that I don't care for and are completely irrelevent in the playoff picture.

EAST

2. Celtics vs. Bulls - Celtics in 5. Nothing more to say. KG being out will hurt this team though later on.

3. Magic vs. 76ers - The 76ers have shown the league that they are to be taken seriously. They beat Cleveland to prevent them from going 40-1 at home. Orlando doesn't have any solid leaders on the floor and lacks a quality big man in the middle, so they'll struggle in the paint. This is a mostly jump shooting team and I'm not buying into their offense. Again, another team that gets shots to fall at the right times in the regular season, but what happens in the playoffs when things tighten up? Rashard Lewis won't be able to lead his team to a series victory here. 76ers in 6.

4. Hawks vs. Heat - The Hawks emerged last year in the playoffs but have been pretty anticlimactic since. Since Miami has the league MVP in Dwayne Wade, they'll dispatch of the Hawks in 6 games at the most. Not much else to say here.

I love you man:rollin

Double-Up
04-18-2009, 01:56 PM

Classic!

Sportstudi
04-18-2009, 02:41 PM

Seriously, what drugs did you take before writing that BS? I do not say that the Mavs will win easily and I do not think the Spurs will do it either. This one will be a nailbiting series until the end.

lil_penny
04-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Classic!

lol, imagine that.. it would be a overtime game tied at 0:wow

LEONARD
04-18-2009, 03:02 PM

First Round

WEST

EAST

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/phucvo456/dog_shit.jpg

Red Hawk #21
04-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Get ready to Fail, Otra Vez SpursDynasty

LEONARD
04-18-2009, 04:34 PM

You're off to a great start, vaj...

LeBron sucks so bad...

20 pt win

38 / 8 / 7

13/20 from the field

:downspin:

BlackSwordsMan
04-18-2009, 05:20 PM
celts are gonna win 4 straight now watch

tlongII
04-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Dammit! I wish he wouldn't have picked us!

SpursDynasty
04-18-2009, 08:28 PM
You're off to a great start, vaj...

LeBron sucks so bad...

20 pt win

38 / 8 / 7

13/20 from the field

I said Detroit in 6...which means they'll play 6 games and Detroit will win 4 of them, in no particular order. They could lose the first 2 and take the next 4, etc.

LEONARD
04-19-2009, 12:47 AM
I said Detroit in 6...which means they'll play 6 games and Detroit will win 4 of them, in no particular order. They could lose the first 2 and take the next 4, etc.

Uh huh...and I said you're off to a "great start" you fucking retard...

Where did I say it was over??

GENIUS

coldsweat
04-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Uh huh...and I said you're off to a "great start" you fucking retard...

Where did I say it was over??

GENIUS

spursdynasty is an idiot, but i don't think tracking his failed predictions will discourage him, he has no shame regardless of the fact that a baby could pick winners at a higher rate than he could.

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Lakers vs. Jazz - This series won't be an "upset", Utah will just go out and do what they're supposed to do, they are the favorites in this series. - Not looking good

Nuggets vs. Hornets - New Orleans in 5. - WRONG

Spurs vs. Mavericks - Spurs in 4, in 5 if the Mavericks get lucky. - WRONG

Rockets vs. Blazers - Because Portland has homecourt, they'll win and let's see if they give Utah a good series in the 2nd round. - Not looking good

Cavaliers vs Detroit - Detroit has nothing to prove here, they're a perennial contender and will just go out and do what they're supposed to do. Detroit is the favorite in the series. - Not looking good at all

Celtics vs. Bulls - Celtics in 5. - still possible

Magic vs. 76ers - 76ers in 6. - still possible

Hawks vs. Heat - dispatch of the Hawks in 6 games at the most. - still possible

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 10:58 AM

Can they still win in 6?

LeCrab
04-25-2009, 11:28 AM
I crustacean and I crush Tayshaun.

j-money24
04-25-2009, 12:00 PM
The Pistons are still going to win the series in 6.

Leetonidas
04-25-2009, 12:48 PM
I like how SD is wrong about pretty much every prediction and when one finally comes true he's gonna be tooting his (van :lol) horn about how he was right, no big deal, no trash talk here, etc etc.

:rolleyes

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 12:58 PM
I like how SD is wrong about pretty much every prediction and when one finally comes true he's gonna be tooting his (van :lol) horn about how he was right, no big deal, no trash talk here, etc etc.

:rolleyes

That's been his bit from day 1...and the reason why I started an "official" thread a couple years ago...to track all the shit he spews. He would throw out multiple predictions and when 1 out of 10 would hit, he'd proclaim himself a b-ball genius...

BlackSwordsMan
04-25-2009, 01:04 PM
there's still a chance for spurs in 5!

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
04-25-2009, 01:23 PM
LMAO!!!!!@ Detroit in 6, in no particular order.

Leetonidas
04-25-2009, 02:37 PM
there's still a chance for spurs in 5!

...I guess if you're SpursDynasty, there is.

LEONARD
04-26-2009, 06:39 PM

Anybody that picks a team that gets swept should automatically get pinked and be banned from ever making predictions again...

So Jeff...LeBron sucks huh??? Fucking moron.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
04-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Damn SD! all of your predictions suck to say the least. If you were a tarot card reader you'll probably do good but predicting the playoffs ain't your thing.

jack sommerset
04-26-2009, 08:00 PM
This has to be the worst act on the net.

SpursDynasty
04-26-2009, 10:36 PM
LeBron didn't play that great during the Detroit series. It's more about what Detroit didn't do, not what LeBron did do. They just didn't play defense in the series. If Detroit plays defense, then LeBron doesn't score the way he does in the series. Again, nothing impressive by LeBron and I'm looking forward to Dwayne Wade, the current favorite to win the MVP, sending LeBron home in the 2nd round. No trash talking, that's just the way it's going to be.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
04-26-2009, 10:40 PM
LeBron didn't play that great during the Detroit series. It's more about what Detroit didn't do, not what LeBron did do. They just didn't play defense in the series. If Detroit plays defense, then LeBron doesn't score the way he does in the series. Again, nothing impressive by LeBron and I'm looking forward to Dwayne Wade, the current favorite to win the MVP, sending LeBron home in the 2nd round. No trash talking, that's just the way it's going to be.

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww34/Deviferno/bbbbbbbbb.jpg

TampaDude
04-26-2009, 10:56 PM

Dude...seriously...put down the crack pipe and back away slowly...

LEONARD
04-27-2009, 08:28 AM

I've never in my life seen somebody that enjoys looking like a dipshit on a forum like you do, Jeff...

LEONARD
04-28-2009, 08:14 AM
1. Lakers vs. Jazz - This series won't be an "upset", Utah will just go out and do what they're supposed to do, they are the favorites in this series.

1. Cavaliers vs. Pistons - Cleveland has just been kind of BS'ing through and I'm just not buying into them. 27 game difference between Cleveland and Detroit but Detroit has nothing to prove here, they're a perennial contender and will just go out and do what they're supposed to do. Detroit is the favorite in the series.

2 massive official FAILS in the books...the Jazz and the Pistons went 1-8...solid Jeff...solid. :lmao

6 FAILS to go...

LEONARD
04-29-2009, 08:28 AM
3. Spurs vs. Mavericks - The Mavericks got by on Manu's foul, shooting BS shots, and being in the right place at the right time in 2006 and in the 12 meetings between the two teams since that series the Spurs have won 6 and the Mavericks won 6. This series will be different though. The Mavericks have been eliminated in the first round in 2007 and 2008 and are soft in the playoffs. Spurs in 4, in 5 if the Mavericks get lucky.

0/3 so far...

5 FAILS to go!

Sportstudi
04-29-2009, 10:20 AM

First Round

:lmao:lmao:lmao

LEONARD
04-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Jeff hasn't posted since the game started last night...I'm worried about him...

LEONARD
04-30-2009, 08:04 AM
2. Nuggets vs. Hornets - I still say New Orleans comes out on top. The Nuggets at 54-28 somewhat overachieved. New Orleans in 5. Not much else to say here. David West is a good jumpshooter but as he learned against the Spurs last year: What if the shots don't go in?

0/4

LEONARD
05-01-2009, 11:04 AM
4. Rockets vs. Blazers - Because Portland has homecourt, they'll win and let's see if they give Utah a good series in the 2nd round.

0/6 anybody??

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

You're unbelievable Jeff...what a streak!! :lol

DAF86
05-01-2009, 02:04 PM
0/6 anybody??

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

You're unbelievable Jeff...what a streak!! :lol

Meh, after last night this kinda lost its magic.

LEONARD
05-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Yea...I know...

But regardless, if he was to go 0-8 that means he was really 8-0 because he no doubt tried to pick them all wrong...so in reality, SD / timvp would actually be a b-ball genius... :lol

Double-Up
05-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Yea...I know...

But regardless, if he was to go 0-8 that means he was really 8-0 because he no doubt tried to pick them all wrong...so in reality, SD / timvp would actually be a b-ball genius... :lol

I like that logic!

Double-Up
05-01-2009, 02:55 PM
R.I.P. SpursDynasty...always hated hearing you say that same thing all the time but I'll leave you with his best quote:

"Both teams just shoot shots but what if they don't go in?"

DAF86
05-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Yea...I know...

I think he would have picked the Spurs and the Blazers either way.

Red Hawk #21
05-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Spursdynasty -Hawks vs. Heat - The Hawks emerged last year in the playoffs but have been pretty anticlimactic since. Since Miami has the league MVP in Dwayne Wade, they'll dispatch of the Hawks in 6 games at the most. Not much else to say here.

Fail

LEONARD
05-01-2009, 03:45 PM
I think he would have picked the Spurs and the Blazers either way.

But timvp picked the Mavs...

DAF86
05-01-2009, 03:50 PM
But timvp picked the Mavs...

Really? I guess you're right then.

Ghazi
05-01-2009, 03:55 PM
lol SD went 0/6

nil.ball
05-01-2009, 04:59 PM
ouchies

:lmao

KSeal
05-01-2009, 06:23 PM
"Both teams just shoot shots but what if they don't go in?"

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

LEONARD
05-04-2009, 09:17 AM
For the sake of completeness...

timvp went 1/8, which is actually 7/8...

Indazone
05-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Wow it really takes talent to get every single prediction wrong. A trained monkey throwing darts could do better than you. :lol

jdev82
05-04-2009, 11:29 PM
good job being very very wrong