PDA

View Full Version : Duncan: 1 FTA

Horse
04-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Duncan has only 1 FTA in a home playoff game on 24 shot attempts, So you tell me what went wrong. The only thing worse than Bonner was the refs. Stern is taking his chance while we're down to bury us.

samikeyp
04-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Why would Stern care about Dallas or SA? If there was a conspiracy, it would be for the Lakers and Cavs so this series is irrelevant.

Besides, the refs didn't cause the Spurs to blow layups, give up offensive boards or forget how to play defense.

spursfan1000
04-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah he got "hammerd" alot and he didnt get the calls, some moments the refs were letting the players play and thats when Duncan was getting fouled and some moments they where being really sensitive and thats when they started calling fouls on us. Plain bull shit

E20
04-18-2009, 09:47 PM
1 FTA or not. Timmy was a beast today. He was the reason why this wasn't a 20 point blow out. Fudge imagine if his knees were good. We would have most definitley won.

SpursFan0728
04-18-2009, 09:47 PM
fuck the refs.

EricB
04-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Eh, from what little I watched TIm looked unagressive settling for alot of jumpers letting Dampier work him over a bit too much.

Spurs Brazil
04-18-2009, 09:48 PM
I thing the refs did a great job today

Texas_Ranger
04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Lets hope Joey Crawford will ref the second game.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
1 FTA or not. Timmy was a beast today. He was the reason why this wasn't a 20 point blow out. Fudge imagine if his knees were good. We would have most definitley won.

lil playa strikes again.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Terribly officiated game. I didn't even watch the end of it. If the Spurs can't even buy a fucking call at home enough to win when they shoot lights out from three point range and spend so much time in the paint, they have no chance.

mavs>spurs2
04-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Eh, from what little I watched TIm looked unagressive settling for alot of jumpers letting Dampier work him over a bit too much.

Good take. A seriously unbiased great take. Dampier played great tonight, and I'm as surprised as anyone. Also Bonner really hurt you guys, he should just be benched. He's a total liability out there

Shank
04-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Did the refs have anything to do with the Spurs bench scoring 1 point in the 2nd half?

samikeyp
04-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Did the refs have anything to do with the Spurs bench scoring 1 point in the 2nd half?

Of course they did! :lol

TampaDude
04-18-2009, 09:53 PM

No...that was Pop... :bang

Warlord23
04-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Stop the whining. Sure there were some missed calls but nothing different from what goes on in a typical NBA game.

The one thing that did seem different from a normal NBA game is the coach continuing to give minutes to a soft, defenseless redhead who couldn't rebound, defend or score

samikeyp
04-18-2009, 09:54 PM
The one thing that did seem different from a normal NBA game is the coach continuing to give minutes to a soft, defenseless redhead who couldn't rebound, defend or score

*ding*ding* we have a winner!!!

Horse
04-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Stop the whining. Sure there were some missed calls but nothing different from what goes on in a typical NBA game.

Say what you will fair or not, Duncan earned the respect to get star calls. Think about dampier is as foul prone as it gets all the sudden against Duncan who always eats him alive he does'nt touch him allnite. Get fucking real we got hosed. You think a couple calls would'nt have stopped dallas momentum or a fast break that leads to a layup? How bout the dampier block were the replay showed an open-handed thrust to the Duncan's chest that's a trip to the line.

sribb43
04-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Blame Joey Crawford..

Shank
04-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Say what you will fair or not, Duncan earned the respect to get star calls. Think about dampier is as foul prone as it gets all the sudden against Duncan who always eats him alive he does'nt touch him allnite. Get fucking real we got hosed. You think a couple calls would'nt have stopped dallas momentum or a fast break that leads to a layup? How bout the dampier block were the replay showed an open-handed thrust to the Duncan's chest that's a trip to the line.

Maybe you're right. Think the NBA offices will have a meeting tonight and demand this game be replayed on Sunday afternoon?

Phenomanul
04-18-2009, 10:03 PM
The officiating wasn't as atrocious in this game... considering there were a fair share of blown calls for both sides...

Bonner failing to have any positive impact in the game...
No minutes for Bowen on Barea...
No Hill...
Few minutes for Gooden... and letting Dirk abuse Mason repeatedly...
Little in the way of bench production...

That doomed us tonight...

HarlemHeat37
04-18-2009, 10:03 PM
the game overall was reffed well IMO, but Duncan should have had a number of calls that weren't called..

he played well though, so whatever..

samikeyp
04-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Maybe you're right. Think the NBA offices will have a meeting tonight and demand this game be replayed on Sunday afternoon?

No, they will start the series over on Monday. :lol

ploto
Whining about the refs when Dirk had 3 fouls in the first half.

Horse
No even when their wrong like fish in 04 it they won't make it right. It's o.k. though we've seent this same pussy dallas team fold before with a lead.

Warlord23
04-18-2009, 10:06 PM

Look, we've won 4 titles by playing that brand of basketball. When we used Bruce to body up perimeter players, other teams' fans used to complain about it.

The point is that the Mavs were at least playing physical D and challenging the refs to call some borderline fouls, which the refs didn't. And guess what, the refs usually let them play in the post-season, and call fewer fouls. That's why tougher defensive teams usually beat the finesse teams. The Mavs simply took advantage of this well-known trend. We on the other hand let the Mavs get easy look after easy look and putback after putback.

We didn't deserve to win this.

Horse
04-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Now Bonner should'nt have played Tony should'nt have made a personal one on one game out of tonight and we shoulda played D in the second half. But 1 FTA on 24 shots, You just can't argue against that.

duncan228
04-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Duncan did deserve some calls he didn't get. But he didn't let it get to him. He played through it. That's a good sign.

Horse
04-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Look, we've won 4 titles by playing that brand of basketball. When we used Bruce to body up perimeter players, other teams' fans used to complain about it.

The point is that the Mavs were at least playing physical D and challenging the refs to call some borderline fouls, which the refs didn't. And guess what, the refs usually let them play in the post-season, and call fewer fouls. That's why tougher defensive teams usually beat the finesse teams. The Mavs simply took advantage of this well-known trend. We on the other hand let the Mavs get easy look after easy look and putback after putback.

We didn't deserve to win this.
That may be true but bums like dampier don't get this treatment. Bowen is all-defense year after year. Why is dampier even in the league I don't know. dirk got his calls give Timmy the proven champion his.

ploto
04-18-2009, 10:11 PM
There was not disparity in the foul shots. The Mavs took 17 FT's to the Spurs 12, but 4 were intentional at the end. Before that, Dallas had 13 and the Spurs 12. It's play-off basketball, and refs tend to let them play.

mavs>spurs2
04-18-2009, 10:12 PM
There was not disparity in the foul shots. The Mavs took 17 FT's to the Spurs 12, but 4 were intentional at the end. Before that, Dallas had 13 and the Spurs 12. It's play-off basketball, and refs tend to let them play.

You, EricB, and others deserve some serious props tonight. The others..not so much. Personally I thought it was a great hard fought game, better than what I'm used to seeing in the first round. Overall I was satisfied, win or lose :toast

zepn
04-18-2009, 10:17 PM
the refs didn't cause the Spurs to blow layups, give up offensive boards or forget how to play defense.

Not that same old tired indefensible bullshit argument again...
- And I'm not just talking about "samikeyp" here. -

Yes the Spurs could have played better.
But the Refs ALSO sucked.

THESE ARE TWO INDEPENDENT EVENTS YOU FUCKING MORONS.

If someone wants to call out the refs and any of you stupid fucks says "it doesn't matter because the Spurs didn't make every shot" or anything remotely as fucking stupid - just STFU and leave the planet until you get a goddamn brain.

Or at least read a fucking book on argumentative fallacy (look it up).

Pink my ass if you want, but I'm fucking tired of this particular brand of idiocy.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Whining about the refs when Dirk had 3 fouls in the first half.

Sweetie, Dirk had at least seven clear fouls in the first half, and only got called for two of them. The other one was that bullshit charging call Finley drew.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2009, 10:23 PM

See thread title, dear. The Mavs shot jumpers the entire night thanks to snowplow screens. The Spurs went into the paint and got mauled.

braeden0613
04-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Tim wasn't getting any calls...but the rotations and miserable defense is what killed us.

zepn
04-18-2009, 10:28 PM
And as far as "You're not gonna get that call"/"The refs let them play" "at the end of the games"/"in the playoffs", Manu circa 2006 would like to have a word with you.

Rogbok
04-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Look, I do agree that there was some obviously blown calls in Dallas' favor, but that was definitely not what cost us this game IMO.

mavs>spurs2
04-18-2009, 10:36 PM
See thread title, dear. The Mavs shot jumpers the entire night thanks to snowplow screens. The Spurs went into the paint and got mauled.

I think your View was Obstructed

JJB and Damp played some great D on you guy's biggest 2 weapons. It was a physical game from both sides, hard fought and exciting, just the game I want to see as a fan. :toast

Obstructed_View
04-18-2009, 10:44 PM
I think your View was Obstructed

JJB and Damp played some great D on you guy's biggest 2 weapons. It was a physical game from both sides, hard fought and exciting, just the game I want to see as a fan. :toast

A game where your team gets all the calls despite not being aggressive? Of course that's the game you want to see. Barea drawing charges wasn't what bothered me, it was the moving screens and the non-calls. There's a reason the Spurs are dead last in the league at free throw attempts, but it has nothing to do with their aggressiveness or ability to draw fouls. You can suggest that there are other reasons the Spurs lost, but the absolute raping they got by the refs certainly didn't help.

Ghazi
04-18-2009, 10:46 PM
My eyes tell me Duncan deserved FT's a few times but didn't get them.

But the refs did not decide this game.

You wanna see a game decided by refs look at games 3, 5, and 6 of the 2006 NBA Finals.

Borosai
04-18-2009, 10:48 PM
The refs buying Barea's flops was really unacceptable. They weren't even good flops. It's an insult to all the talented floppers out there.

mavs>spurs2
A game where your team gets all the calls despite not being aggressive? Of course that's the game you want to see. Barea drawing charges wasn't what bothered me, it was the moving screens and the non-calls. There's a reason the Spurs are dead last in the league at free throw attempts, but it has nothing to do with their aggressiveness or ability to draw fouls. You can suggest that there are other reasons the Spurs lost, but the absolute raping they got by the refs certainly didn't help.

We were agressive at times. JJ was driving and dishing or driving and scoring. And we only shot 17 free throws. To me it looked like Tony faded down the stretch, Dampier did a great job on Duncan, and the Mavs had some unlikely heroes step up. But what interests me most is this:

"There's a reason the Spurs are dead last in the league at free throw attempts, but it has nothing to do with their aggressiveness or ability to draw fouls."

Please, tell me you're not saying what I think you're saying. You're better than that. Tim wouldn't say something like that

Spurs Brazil

You wanna see a game decided by refs look at games 3, 5, and 6 of the 2006 NBA Finals.

Or the games 2, 3 and 4 of the 2006 West Semi Finals

Ghazi
04-18-2009, 10:56 PM
So we agree the refs did not decide this outcome.

Lets give our fucking boys in blue some credit.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Please, tell me you're not saying what I think you're saying. You're better than that. Tim wouldn't say something like that

It wasn't really what I meant at the time, but now that I think about it, how would you explain it? The Spurs were aggressive as long as I watched the game, and the refs just absolutely swallowed their whistles. Hell, the ball bounced out of bounds at the end of the first quarter with a second left, but the refs just said the quarter was over. The Mavs were allowed to hack and shove and make room with absolutely no penalty whatsoever. I know Pop's an idiot, and I know the Spurs' lineups are shit, but there's nothing I can do about that. Fact is, if the Spurs were getting even the same calls the Mavs were getting, the game probably would have been out of reach by the time Pop started fucking up. I know that Parker and Duncan wouldn't have "faded down the stretch" which really means that they stopped bothering to go inside because they knew they weren't going to get calls when they got hit.

Spurs Brazil
04-18-2009, 11:00 PM
So we agree the refs did not decide this outcome.

Lets give our fucking boys in blue some credit.

I agree

ploto
04-18-2009, 11:01 PM

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=290418024
Duncan shot more than half his shots outside the paint.

mavs>spurs2
04-18-2009, 11:02 PM
It wasn't really what I meant at the time, but now that I think about it, how would you explain it? The Spurs were aggressive as long as I watched the game, and the refs just absolutely swallowed their whistles. Hell, the ball bounced out of bounds at the end of the first quarter with a second left, but the refs just said the quarter was over. The Mavs were allowed to hack and shove and make room with absolutely no penalty whatsoever. I know Pop's an idiot, and I know the Spurs' lineups are shit, but there's nothing I can do about that. Fact is, if the Spurs were getting even the same calls the Mavs were getting, the game probably would have been out of reach by the time Pop started fucking up. I know that Parker and Duncan wouldn't have "faded down the stretch" which really means that they stopped bothering to go inside because they knew they weren't going to get calls when they got hit.

Duncan got hit some, but what can I say, it's a big man's game down in the paint, and Tim initiates alot of that contact. I agree there were some iffy calls pertaining to Tim, like the "block" where he got shoved into the first row. I also thought he should have gotten an and 1 off a turnaround hook on the block where he got knocked down. But overall, it just didn't look all that horrendous from an officiating standpoint. They let the players play, and guys got hit on both sides. Tony couldn't have been getting hacked or hit too badly, at least not in the first half when he was killing us. He was getting to every spot on the court that he wanted, every time he wanted. If we don't find a better way to check him then we might run into some trouble.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2009, 11:19 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=290418024
Duncan shot more than half his shots outside the paint.

He had 24 shots, and shot ten of them from outside the paint, seven of those in the second half when he realized he wasn't going to get any calls.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Duncan got hit some, but what can I say, it's a big man's game down in the paint, and Tim initiates alot of that contact. I agree there were some iffy calls pertaining to Tim, like the "block" where he got shoved into the first row. I also thought he should have gotten an and 1 off a turnaround hook on the block where he got knocked down. But overall, it just didn't look all that horrendous from an officiating standpoint. They let the players play, and guys got hit on both sides. Tony couldn't have been getting hacked or hit too badly, at least not in the first half when he was killing us. He was getting to every spot on the court that he wanted, every time he wanted. If we don't find a better way to check him then we might run into some trouble.

Duncan got hit a lot, and Dampier was bulldozing anyone out of Dirk's way to clear him out for jumpers in the first half. It wasn't a big man's game tonight, it was a big Mav's game tonight, because Timmy wasn't getting any respect at all. Fuck superstar calls, I'd just like the calls that you'd expect anybody to get who makes a good move in the post and gets hit, or who gets past his man and gets hit on the arms going for a layup. Combine that with allowing Dirk to hack and shove and for anyone to reach in on Parker with no whistles and you end up with what we have. I'm not ready to mail this series in yet, but the Spurs are going to have to play that much smarter and just force the officials to blow the whistles. If they won't blow them, then the Mavs will win this one in four.

mavs>spurs2
04-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Definitely don't mail it in, trust me on this. I'm a Mav fan, and I know how these things go. This thing is going 6 or 7 games, I don't care if Joey Crawford comes down to ref every game and rapes you guys.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Actually we got Tony Brothers out of the way. After his performance tonight, Crawford doesn't scare me. Dirk dropped a hip and a forearm into Bowen on a screen in the first quarter right in front of Brothers and he just let it go. There were several times that something happened as he was watching it and there was no whistle.

crc21209
04-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Was at the game...and TD deserved to get at LEAST 10 FT's tonight...

dav4463
04-19-2009, 05:57 AM
Maybe Tim needs to learn a fadeaway jumper followed by falling down after the release while crying about the contact and he can get some "dirk" calls.

Rogue
04-19-2009, 06:04 AM
Was at the game...and TD deserved to get at LEAST 10 FT's tonight...
spurs would still lose even if he had got that many FTs. Don't blame the refs, my dear spurs fans, it's just game one after all... spurs also lost game one in the first rounds of 03, 05, 07 seasons, which all resulted in championships. If you must have got some one(s) to blame, then blame Tracy please, everything is his fault... www.blametracy.com (http://www.blametracy.com)

Ice009
04-19-2009, 06:20 AM

Also, look at games 3 and 4 of the Western Conference Semi-Finals in the 4th quarter of both those games. You couldn't have gotten hosed in the finals with out those calls in the Semi-Finals.

Anyway, there was some calls the Spurs should have had tonight, but I always like a physical game called the same both ways. The refs did not cost us the game tonight. They missed some calls, but Spurs could have played a lot better.

I Love Me Some Me
04-19-2009, 07:28 AM
This had nothing to do with why the Spurs lost. The Mavs simply played better, and exploited matchups in areas that Pop either could not address or refused to address.

That being said, it's hard to imagine that Tim only got fouled once yesterday.

dude1394
04-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Yup...you guys got completly hosed by the refs. If you hadn't you would have probably shot something like 79% on your 3pointers. Oopss...you did.

But seriously...timmah is fouled everytime down the court...even when he doesn't have the ball...at least that's what he says and he's right. He should get a fta whenever he misses a shot...he deserves it, having so many rings and all.

Horse
04-19-2009, 10:08 AM

They sure helped the mavs though. As far as the 06 finals dallas absolutley got it straight up the ass. Fuck stern!

antimvp
04-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Why would Stern care about Dallas or SA? If there was a conspiracy, it would be for the Lakers and Cavs so this series is irrelevant.

Besides, the refs didn't cause the Spurs to blow layups, give up offensive boards or forget how to play defense.

because he wants the spurs, duncan, ginobilli to get out of the league already and go away quick and send parker to LA.

antimvp
04-19-2009, 10:32 AM
its really sad and pretty damn obvious.

Creation88
04-19-2009, 11:11 AM
part of it is the refs not blowing the whistle, part of it is Tim not taking it hard on Damp.

antimvp
04-19-2009, 02:40 PM
part of it is the refs not blowing the whistle, part of it is Tim not taking it hard on Damp.

Tim needs to force the issue and do it fast.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2009, 03:00 PM
While the refs did suck in the second half, they didn't suck enough that I would blame the loss on them. The real reason we lost is because we playeed terrible D in the final 3 quarters with the fourth being the worst.

If the refs sucked in the second half, then there's not words to describe how they were in the first half. Look, if you give Duncan and Parker the fouls that they legitimately drew in the game, they're in the penalty sooner and have 8-10 more free throw attempts at the very least. That turns the game. Expecting to get a call or two at home with Bavetta calling the game isn't unreasonable, and not getting any is simply amazing.

zepn
04-19-2009, 08:26 PM
If the refs sucked, then the refs sucked. Period.

Don't try to whitewash it with "it's not what cost us the game" because you can use that same faulty logic on any one thing (except the facetious "scoring more points than the opponent").

It's part of it, and it adds up - just like rebounds, 3 pt percentage, etc.