PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Backup Plan — A Tired Issue

duncan228
04-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Backup plan — a tired issue (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Backup_plan__a_tired_issue.html)
Buck Harvey

Tony Parker has been telling his friends he's been feeling tired lately, and Saturday night he told J.J. Barea.

“I could tell by looking at him,” the Mavericks' backup point guard said.

Head down, hands on hips. The same Parker who had been shredding the league — especially these Mavericks — looked precisely like someone who has been asked to do too much.

When?

He could have used his own Barea.

The Spurs have been looking for help for Parker since 2003, when Speedy Claxton left. They've gone through several candidates, using two first-round picks along the way, and George Hill was supposed to be that as recently as March.

But he was a DNP again Saturday as Roger Mason Jr. again played out of position. When the Spurs stalled, Parker would come back in, dribbling and sprinting for over 41 minutes.

That's just part of the equation that finds the Spurs starting another postseason with a loss. They've come back to win titles from 0-1, but this isn't the same team.

The defense, for one, isn't the same. The Mavericks went for 60 points in the second half. So it didn't matter that the Spurs threw in 11 of their first 12 3-pointers, or that Tim Duncan's bank shot was going. There were flaws, bigger than anything they had in 2003, 2005 or 2007, and Matt Bonner chasing Dirk Nowitzki was one.

Another flaw has seemingly been around forever, and that's the backup point position. Especially now, without Manu Ginobili around, Parker has been asked to create most of what the Spurs do.

At times he has, which is why the Spurs think he deserves MVP votes. Barea has been impressed, too.

“I'm a big fan,” he said.

The kid said this Saturday night between two large teammates, looking like, well, a kid. The Mavericks list him at six feet, but he appears closer to 5-foot-10.

That's a reason he wasn't drafted. But Avery Johnson always saw something in Barea when no one else did. Johnson always saw himself.

Little, tough, with an edge — couldn't J.J. become another AJ with time?

The Spurs have been known for doing this at other positions, and perhaps Hill eventually develops. Barea, after all, is in his third season.

Still, it doesn't matter if the coaching staff is spot on when it comes to evaluating Hill's current status. This is true today: The Mavericks have the kind of player the Spurs have failed to develop.

What Barea did Saturday was no fluke. He's had four fourth quarters this season of at least 10 points, and he's responsible for at least four wins.

Or, he kept the Mavericks out of the eighth seed.

The Spurs getting only 14 points from their bench on Saturday was no fluke, either. In March, in Dallas, they got seven.

So there was Parker, feeling fresh, speeding into the lane to lead the Spurs to an early 13-point lead. And here came Barea off the bench, having scored only eight points in his playoff career before Saturday night, adding 13.

Parker's stats appeared far more impressive, with 24 points and eight assists. But he also had five turnovers, sometimes out of exhaustion, sometimes when running into Barea.

The number that defined Barea: When he was on the floor, the Mavericks had a 19-point advantage.

Brandon Bass would have the game's second highest plus-minus number, but the Dallas subs didn't do this alone. Josh Howard put in 25 points in less than 30 minutes.

Still, nothing changed the game more than when Barea bothered Parker. He made Parker play defense, and he made AJ look like a genius, and he made the Spurs wonder.

Shouldn't they have found someone like this by now?

EricB
04-19-2009, 12:05 AM
They have found someone but hes on the bench.

EricB
BTW, so much for the "the media never critisizes the front office or Pop"

Mugen
this article makes me sick knowing that hill is on the fucking bench.

timvp
04-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Barea? Never heard of him.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44852

:cry

ploto
04-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Still, it doesn't matter if the coaching staff is spot on when it comes to evaluating Hill's current status. This is true today: The Mavericks have the kind of player the Spurs have failed to develop...

Still, nothing changed the game more than when Barea bothered Parker. He made Parker play defense, and he made AJ look like a genius, and he made the Spurs wonder.

Shouldn't they have found someone like this by now?

The question remains: How do teams continue to take guys like Barea and make then good back-up PG's while the Spurs still can't seem to develop one?

I'm not just talking about Hill. I am talking about years of no decent back-up PG on the Spurs while other teams manage to find guys who are not even drafted who can be decent back-up PG's.

ElNono
04-19-2009, 12:10 AM
I wonder WHEN will timvp sue Harvey...

timvp
Ploto? Those are great and new takes :tu

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119145

:jack

bigdog
If Hill doesn't get a chance in Game 2, I will cry my ass off.

There is NO REASON that Hill shouldn't be playing. Pop is an idiot.

timvp
04-19-2009, 12:12 AM
I seriously think Pop could have John Stockton in his prime as the backup point guard and he'd eventually get doghoused for passing too much, not looking to shoot enough, not playing All-NBA level defense and trying too many daring one-handed passes.

duncan228
04-19-2009, 12:14 AM
We get this tonight:

Tony Parker has been telling his friends he's been feeling tired lately, and Saturday night he told J.J. Barea.

“I could tell by looking at him,” the Mavericks' backup point guard said.

Head down, hands on hips. The same Parker who had been shredding the league — especially these Mavericks — looked precisely like someone who has been asked to do too much.

And we got this yesterday:

Parker says he's entering the playoffs feeling fresh, amazing considering the load he's carried this season.

"I'm 26, so I'm fine," Parker said. "It would be weird if I said I was tired, with all the old guys we've got."

I hope Parker catches a second wind.

Blackjack
04-19-2009, 12:14 AM
That's a reason he wasn't drafted. But Avery Johnson always saw something in Barea when no one else did. Johnson always saw himself.

He may have saw himself in him, but he apparently never saw the name on the back of the Jersey.

Barea, A.J.

Not, Barerra.:lol

ElNono
04-19-2009, 12:15 AM
I seriously think Pop could have John Stockton in his prime as the backup point guard and he'd eventually get doghoused for passing too much, not looking to shoot enough, not playing All-NBA level defense and trying too many daring one-handed passes.

Only to get traded to some scrub team because his value is near zero, then proceed to scorch the Spurs the next time they play. Yeah, I know. :depressed

ploto
04-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Ploto? Those are great and new takes :tu

I am talking about his sentence structure and means of expression.

The question remains: How do teams continue to take guys like Barea and make then good back-up PG's while the Spurs still can't seem to develop one?

This is true today: The Mavericks have the kind of player the Spurs have failed to develop.

poop
04-19-2009, 12:18 AM
R.I.P. popovich.

NewJerSpur
04-19-2009, 12:19 AM
I am talking about his sentence structure and means of expression.

This is true today: The Mavericks have the kind of player the Spurs have failed to develop.

We've had JJ Barea?

Spurminator
04-19-2009, 12:24 AM
BTW, so much for the "the media never critisizes the front office or Pop"

The Hill debacle has been going on for months. Congrats to the SA writers for being so timely with their questioning. Next step is actually asking Pop WTF he's thinking. Maybe we can expect this in 2011.

Borosai
04-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Damn, wouldn't it be nice to have a young, athletic, defensive-minded backup PG to give Parker a chance to rest instead of chasing Barea all over the shire?

Someday...

poop
04-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Damn, wouldn't it be nice to have a young, athletic, defensive-minded backup PG to give Parker a chance to rest instead of chasing Barea all over the shire?

Someday...

haha it sure would be great if we had such a guy on our team...

:bang

HarlemHeat37
04-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Borosai's idea of a PG sounds pretty good to me..it would be even nicer if that same guy we're imagining could come in and effectively replace Parker for a few weeks due to injury..

impossible though..

Blackjack
04-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Oh, and Hill's ass needs to be on the court, stat.

Dear Pop,

You've already acknowledged your team isn't going to win a title without a healthy Manu, so why don't you go ahead and play your most talented players, in hopes of helping the team for the future. (Gooden would fall into that category, by the way;))

And don't tell me your worried about Hill's psyche, when your running Bonner out there repeatedly.

Bonner may be comfortable in his role and with the system, something you feel Hill is not, but how's that working out?

I like Bonner, and he's a nice player to have coming off the bench in stretches, but he's a small-forward in a power-forward-ish body, that if not giving you anything offensively, doesn't defend or rebound his position well enough against the better teams/players of the league to warrant much, if any, minutes.

Thanks.:tu

Yours truly,

Obstructed_View
04-19-2009, 12:45 AM
Well, Marcus' season just ended with a triple double. Bring his ass in here.

jag
04-19-2009, 12:46 AM
The idea that Pop may have given up on Hill is absolutely disturbing.

EricB
04-19-2009, 12:51 AM
The Hill debacle has been going on for months. Congrats to the SA writers for being so timely with their questioning. Next step is actually asking Pop WTF he's thinking. Maybe we can expect this in 2011.

I believe they questioned him before or after the Cleveland game...

Blackjack
Well, Marcus' season just ended with a triple double. Bring his ass in here.

On a serious note, I'm wondering how legit of a point-forward prospect Marcus is.

I asked Chump in another thread, but has anyone seen enough of him to see if there's a possibility he could play alongside Hill at some point?

Borosai
I would love to think that next year will be different. That we'll get to see the new guys play and finally develop ,on the job, for situations just like this one. But as usual, there's no guarantee.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-19-2009, 12:53 AM
I would love to think that next year will be different. That we'll get to see the new guys play and finally develop ,on the job, for situations just like this one. But as usual, there's no guarantee.

Next year should've been this year.

This season should've been the growing pains season as oppose to merely the pains season period.

poop
04-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Borosai's idea of a PG sounds pretty good to me..it would be even nicer if that same guy we're imagining could come in and effectively replace Parker for a few weeks due to injury..

impossible though..

haha imagine if said guy say, played starting PG for 3 weeks or so and was surprisingly effective? and played barea well, even stuffed his ass and frustrated him? man that would be nice if we had such a guy.

Borosai
04-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Next year should've been this year.

This season should've been the growing pains season as oppose to merely the pains season period.

Exactly. Right now, Hill should be ready. But he's not. His ass is probably flatter though.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2009, 12:59 AM
On a serious note, I'm wondering how legit of a point-forward prospect Marcus is.

I asked Chump in another thread, but has anyone seen enough of him to see if there's a possibility he could play alongside Hill at some point?

One of those motherfuckers needs to be in the fucking rotation yesterday. Pop fucked around and wasted the roster spot with Malik Hairston, only to call Marcus up when it was too late to familiarize him with the system. Time to throw his ass out there with the second unit and see what he can do. Seriously, how could he be any worse? Simply freeing Mason of that responsibility makes the team better.

FREE-MASON.

Borosai
04-19-2009, 01:01 AM
haha imagine if said guy say, played starting PG for 3 weeks or so and was surprisingly effective? and played barea well, even stuffed his ass and frustrated him? man that would be nice if we had such a guy.

About that block, I just saw it again in another thread, and I thought to myself: Who else on this team would've made that block?

A healthy Manu perhaps.

That's about it. The others would've been too far behind or stuck to the floor.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Hill should be defending Barea. End of story.

Spurminator
04-19-2009, 01:03 AM
I believe they questioned him before or after the Cleveland game...

And he gave a non-answer which they didn't press him on. Pop intimidates the hell out of these guys.

poop
04-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Hill should be defending Barea. End of story.

how dare you suggest such a thing, pop knows better!!!

:bang

Obstructed_View
04-19-2009, 01:08 AM
And he gave a non-answer which they didn't press him on. Pop intimidates the hell out of these guys.

Yeah, asking a question and not following it up demanding an answer cannot be considered "questioning". :lol

Blackjack
04-19-2009, 01:08 AM
One of those motherfuckers needs to be in the fucking rotation yesterday. Pop fucked around and wasted the roster spot with Malik Hairston, only to call Marcus up when it was too late to familiarize him with the system. Time to throw his ass out there with the second unit and see what he can do. Seriously, how could he be any worse? Simply freeing Mason of that responsibility makes the team better.

FREE-MASON.

:tu

I'm fully aware it's not going to happen but, hypothetically, could the Spurs call-up Marcus to play right now?

I'm a big believer in Hairston, and am hoping he's still in the picture, but if Williams is a legit point-forward at the NBA-level, Williams over Hairston makes sense.

You could conceivably have Hill play more of a Barbosa-type role, while Williams runs the point, and not have to sacrifice any size/length defensively.

Budkin
04-19-2009, 01:10 AM
It makes no fucking sense. Maybe Hill pissed off Pop during practices? It's insane.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-19-2009, 01:12 AM
All I can think of, is when Pop said he opted to go with JV over Hill because JV knew all the plays. I also think Pop is so focused on offense over defense, that Hill just doesn't bring enough to the table offensively (in Pop's eyes) to put him out on the floor. There were a lot of games where Hill was very passive. His jumper was ugly, and he was usually at his best when attacking the rim.

I don't agree with his reasoning for benching Hill, but that's my take on what might be going on.

HarlemHeat37
04-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Hill needs to be smart about this too..he needs to approach Michael Finley and ask him to tell Pop to put him in the game..this is the only way we're going to see George in the playoffs this year..

Death In June
04-19-2009, 02:27 AM
Buck Harvey has a terrible writing style. He is the Bonner of sports journalism.

objective
04-19-2009, 03:01 AM
It's about as courteous and circumspect as a media critique could be.

It doesn't call out Pop or the Spurs, as a piece it merely asks a question, "Shouldn't they have found someone like this by now?"

In fact it goes overboard in not calling out Pop for any of his decision making with "perhaps Hill eventually develops. Barea, after all, is in his third season. . . .Still, it doesn't matter if the coaching staff is spot on when it comes to evaluating Hill's current status."

Harvey is refusing to even consider that the problem is that Hill is being benched. Instead, Harvey is saying that Pop is right to not play Hill now because Hill is un-developed (but "perhaps Hill eventually develops").

In Harvey's world maybe the Spurs should have a back up point guard, but if they don't it has nothing to with Pop's coaching decisions this season because George Hill just wasn't ready and the Spurs were "spot on" in their judgement to bench him.

roycrikside
04-19-2009, 03:02 AM
They have found someone but hes on the bench.

Just remember TPark, this is Pop's so-called "best coaching year ever"

:lol:lmao:lmao

Borosai
04-19-2009, 03:04 AM
Hill has definitely developed... a boil on his ass.

sabar
04-19-2009, 03:06 AM
Calm down guys. If Hill is the key to victory then the Lakers/Celts/Cavs were destined to sweep us anyways. I doubt we will be seeing any of Hill so no reason to get our hopes up.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2009, 03:38 AM
Calm down guys. If Hill is the key to victory then the Lakers/Celts/Cavs were destined to sweep us anyways. I doubt we will be seeing any of Hill so no reason to get our hopes up.

This is always the argument when someone brings it up, and it's always lame. See Pop's "the blows that came before it" thing and you realize that every small mistake costs the team.

If George Hill had been developed and trusted during the season, he would be able to play the backup point guard position.

With George Hill in the backup point guard position, Roger Mason can play his role as a sharpshooter.

If Malik Hairston had been developed and trusted during the season, he would be getting Ime Udoka's minutes and defensive assignments. Since he's a better three point shooter than Ime, the Spurs' scoring goes up.

If Gooden had been moved to the starting lineup, Duncan suddenly becomes that much more effective and Bonner can open up the lane when Duncan's not in by stretching the defense, if he's in the rotation at all.

If each of these decisions gives the Spurs an extra basket, the Spurs win tonight's game.