PDA

View Full Version : Poll: who should be the Spurs next head coach?

lefty
04-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Time to retool :D

Obstructed_View
04-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Couldn't be much worse than the tool that's there now.

jaffies
04-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Is this a poll?
I wanna vote.
edit...ah, there it is.

lefty
04-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Is this a poll?
I wanna vote.
Yup

HarlemHeat37
04-19-2009, 01:11 AM
the real Gregg Popovich..

timvp
If not Pop then I'd vote for Doug Clollins. Not that he's a good coach but just to get him off of the national broadcasts.

lefty
the real Gregg Popovich..
He's gone senile

It's not reversible

lefty
04-19-2009, 01:12 AM
If not Pop then I'd vote for Doug Clollins. Not that he's a good coach but just to get him off of the national broadcasts.
:lmao

jaffies
04-19-2009, 01:13 AM

Reggie Miller would be a horrible coach.

HarlemHeat37
04-19-2009, 01:13 AM
It would be cool to have Duncan as the player-coach..

Blackjack
04-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Is there a reason Tarkanian isn't an option?:huh

TheDarkSide.
sooooooo......that shitty douchebag van gundy is a candidate but this guy isn't?:

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/avery_johnson_300_071019.jpg

lefty
Personally, I would love to have JVG

lefty
04-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Is there a reason Tarkanian isn't an option?:huh

Good ol' Jerry?

Aaah the good ol' days of Lloyd Daniels.......

SnakeBoy
Keep Pop, get better players.

Blackjack
Reggie Miller would be a horrible coach.

Yeah, I think his brother would do a much better job.:smokin

poop
04-19-2009, 01:18 AM

we HAVE better players, pop just isnt playing them.

its his fault, NOT the players.

lefty
04-19-2009, 01:18 AM
We DO need better players

But Pop was #$%^$# tonight

I'm still hoping he won't make the same mistakes anymore and adjust, but that could be wishful thinking

HarlemHeat37
04-19-2009, 01:20 AM
this is like the South Park episode where Chef gets abducted and brainwashed..

Pop has been kidnapped and brainwashed by the newly created Church of Bonner..they gather every Sunday for Subway sandwiches, and to talk about Michael Finley's ass..

jaffies
04-19-2009, 01:20 AM

For what?
Pop won't play them over Bonner.

lefty
04-19-2009, 01:22 AM
this is like the South Park episode where Chef gets abducted and brainwashed..

Pop has been kidnapped and brainwashed by the newly created Church of Bonner..they gather every Sunday for Subway sandwiches, and to talk about Michael Finley's ass..

Spot on :lol

I watched that episode and I have the same weird feeling.

Is it a coincidence that Pop's sucking has started when he grew a beard?

Russ
04-19-2009, 01:29 AM
The next Spurs coach won't be anyone good -- a thankless job, succeeding a legend when the cupboard is bare.

Reminds me of a joke that USC coach Tim Floyd told at a booster club meeting. His wife asked him why he wanted to leave a successful Iowa State program and coach the Chicago Bulls right after Jordan retired and PJ left.

"Because I want to be another Phil," he told her.

"Another Phil Jackson?" she asked.

"No, another Phil Bengston," he replied, referring to the forgetable and forgotten successor of Vince Lombardi as coach of the Green Bay Packers.

SnakeBoy
04-19-2009, 01:33 AM
I'm still hoping he won't make the same mistakes anymore and adjust, but that could be wishful thinking

He'll make adjustments. I'd like to see Hill get some time.

Somebody clue me in. Spurs lost this on defense or lack of rather. So who's the defensive presence that Pop is refusing to play?

HarlemHeat37
04-19-2009, 01:36 AM
it's not one guy..

he's playing Finley and Mason at the same time on the perimeter..to add insult to injury, he's starting Bonner WITH them..

he's playing Bonner over Thomas..no Hill at the PG..Bowen is getting minutes, but not enough..

it's as easy as that..

we ranked 5th in defense this year..this team CAN play D, but it's difficult when the coach is playing the worst defenders together..

AussieFanKurt
04-19-2009, 01:38 AM
i voted timvp fo shiz

Indazone
04-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Rocketsfans want you to have JVG lol

himat
04-19-2009, 01:43 AM
You guys are gay. Really you guys suck. Complaining about Greg Popovich??? When the Pistons had a great coach like that we were studs (Larry Brown). The Pistons players are a hard group to coach but if we had a great coach then things would have turned out much better the last few years.

Seriously what could he have done that was so bad? Played Matt Bonner. You guys are not as deep as you used to be so that is what happens.

Blackjack
04-19-2009, 01:46 AM
it's not one guy..

he's playing Finley and Mason at the same time on the perimeter..to add insult to injury, he's starting Bonner WITH them..

he's playing Bonner over Thomas..no Hill at the PG..Bowen is getting minutes, but not enough..

it's as easy as that..

we ranked 5th in defense this year..this team CAN play D, but it's difficult when the coach is playing the worst defenders together..

:tu

Pop obviously felt the team needed to have the offense go up 3 to 4 notches, even if it set-back the defense 1 to 2 notches going into the year, unfortunately, his personnel's offensive gains (i.e his starting Bonner, Mason, and Finley) aren't enough to outweigh his defensive losses.

HarlemHeat37
04-19-2009, 01:54 AM
that's the thing that bothers me..

where are these offensive gains we hear about? the gains are barely better than last year..

it just doesn't make any sense to have Matt Bonner out there when he can't even contribute offensively..

Bowen is also very capable of making open shots, he still makes the corner 3s at a high rate..he also has great chemistry with Parker and Duncan..he helps the D much more than he hurts the offense..

Kurt Thomas can make the mid-range J consistently(he missed them tonight, but he usually makes them)..his D gives us much more than Bonner is giving us on offense..

if you're going to go with offense over defense, then clearly Gooden over Bonner is the logical choice..Gooden is much better than Bonner..

this is all just too confusing..it seems like common sense..

Blackjack
04-19-2009, 02:22 AM
that's the thing that bothers me..

where are these offensive gains we hear about? the gains are barely better than last year..

it just doesn't make any sense to have Matt Bonner out there when he can't even contribute offensively..

Bowen is also very capable of making open shots, he still makes the corner 3s at a high rate..he also has great chemistry with Parker and Duncan..he helps the D much more than he hurts the offense..

Kurt Thomas can make the mid-range J consistently(he missed them tonight, but he usually makes them)..his D gives us much more than Bonner is giving us on offense..

if you're going to go with offense over defense, then clearly Gooden over Bonner is the logical choice..Gooden is much better than Bonner..

this is all just too confusing..it seems like common sense..

Well, it had to be Pop's thought process going into the season but I can't say I ever agreed with it.

I think he felt they played the Laker's defensively well enough to win the series last year but his offense was going to have to make some significant strides to get over the top.

When Pop wasn't able to get one of the Maggette's of the world he obviously had to look a little more from within the program.

Mason was a nice addition, and even a hell of a suprise, but he's not the level of a talent that immediately upgrades your offense significantly.

Bonner, Finley, and Mason is what he had to work with, and instead of saying, "I don't think that personnel is good enough to achieve my new objective." He said, "They're the only chance I've got at achieving my objective, and my objective is the only way I see us getting it done."

stéphane
04-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Obvious choice :hat

Rogue
04-19-2009, 06:53 AM
anyone even timvp cannot lead a manuless spurs team to win over our boys in blue who are actually the best team around the league. I think Spurs would have dropped many more points on the offensive end if Manu had played last night. Manu's absence killed the spurs again, just like the WCF of last season.

spursbird
04-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Maybe JVG or Quin Snyder?

Yogurt210
04-19-2009, 08:04 AM
AVERY JOHNSON, easily

The Truth #6
04-19-2009, 08:22 AM
The grass isn't guaranteed to be greener. Let's see if/how he reacts for the next game.

rfbulletdude
04-19-2009, 08:32 AM
I second avery johnson being the next coach. if holt had any balls he'd just fire pop after game one. spurs aint gonna win this series so why they hell not just do it now.

DeadlyDynasty
04-19-2009, 08:34 AM
yeah, Pop's rotations and substitutions have been awful this year, but you rarely ever see him get out-coached in a series...Phil Jackson is the only coach who really owns him. It's just one game fellas, I'm sure Pop will pull the right strings and get SA back on track. Remember how bleak it looked after the Hornets went up 2-0 last year? Give it time...he can get you back to the WCF.

Yogurt210
04-19-2009, 08:46 AM
No,
Pop has been coaching bland since last season.
He's developed a tendency to always match teams, and not let the opposing teams play to match US!

Ex: Opposing teams plays small ball, Pop takes out Duncan and Kurt, inserts Bonner and Udoka to try to play small ball back.

I always thought that was dumb, why not let the small ball team get dominated in the paint/out rebounded. gah...

Teams should fear US, and try to match US, not the other way around.
Ever Since D.Rob left this team Pop has started to coach more and more like a coward every season.

balli
04-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Y'all are insane. Bonner only sucks until he doesn't and if Pop's made a few mistakes with the rotation this year (he has), there is absolutely NO REASON you should seriously be talking about replacing him because of it; as in case you forgot he's brought you 4 rings in 1 decade.

I doubt there are many coaches who could've even gotten SAS into the playoffs this year, much less any who are available, besides JVG, who has his own coaching inadequacies and probably wouldn't be doing even slightly better given these circumstances.

So... so what? Your team's banged the fuck up and the scrubs you have left aren't going to get a ring this year. Deal with it. Count the blessing you do have. The success you have had. Quit calling for pop's head... and more or less, quit acting like a bunch of entitled bitches who should never, ever have to suffer the indignity of a playoff defeat. Get over yourselves Spurs nation.

Yogurt210
04-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Y'all are insane. Bonner only sucks until he doesn't and if Pop's made a few mistakes with the rotation this year (he has), there is absolutely NO REASON you should seriously be talking about replacing him because of it; as in case you forgot he's brought you 4 rings in 1 decade.

I doubt there are many coaches who could've even gotten SAS into the playoffs this year, much less any who are available, besides JVG, who has his own coaching inadequacies and probably wouldn't be doing even slightly better given these circumstances.

So... so what? Your team's banged the fuck up and the scrubs you have left aren't going to get a ring this year. Deal with it. Count the blessing you do have. The success you have had. Quit calling for pop's head... and more or less, quit acting like a bunch of entitled bitches who should never, ever have to suffer the indignity of a playoff defeat. Get over yourselves Spurs nation.

^
Sigh......Another victim to Pop's Hypnosis.

DeadlyDynasty
04-19-2009, 09:05 AM

Exactly:hat

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/zryan79/BILLY_MADISON-1.jpg

balli
04-19-2009, 09:13 AM
^
Sigh......Another victim to Pop's Hypnosis.
Sigh......Another spoiled idiot who doesn't know enough about basketball to know that you don't just go out and fire Greg f'ing Popovitch because of one semi-down, injury riddled season. What, you think SAS is just the most attractive team out there? You think free agents and coaches are just lining up to go there once Pop's gone? You think Buford found all those second round gems all by himself? You think somebody else is going to turn 12th men from shitty eastern conference teams into rotation players on a western conference playoff team? You think Greg Popovitch isn't the freaking Spurs?

Dude, take your 200 posts and get out, because man, as a fan of a team who's gotten crushed by SAS in the last decade and as a fan who's absolutely furious with my team's coach, but still don't want to see him fired, I think you're acting liked a petulant, spoiled, clueless, fool.

urunobili
04-19-2009, 09:18 AM
i like Eddie Jordan, Byron Scott hell even AJ would be cool

Yogurt210
04-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Sigh......Another spoiled idiot who doesn't know enough about basketball to know that you don't just go out and fire Greg f'ing Popovitch because of one semi-down, injury riddled season. What, you think SAS is just the most attractive team out there? You think free agents and coaches are just lining up to go there once Pop's gone? You think Buford found all those second round gems all by himself. You think somebody else is going to turn 12th men from shitty eastern conference teams into rotation players on a Western Conference playoff team. You think Greg Popovitch isn't the freaking Spurs.

Dude, take your 200 posts and get out, because man, as a fan of a team who's gotten crushed by SAS in the last decade and as a fan who's absolutely furious with my team's coach, but still don't want to see him fired, I think you're acting liked a petulant, spoiled, clueless, fool.

haha, it's funny how you judge a fan by how many post he/she has. That statement you just said right there makes you look totally like a fool, and unworthy of any of my words and any other true Spurs fan.

But I will tell you this. My 200 post have nothing on my 22 years of being a hardcore Spurs fan, through thick and thin. When I see my team in need of things, I will Surely express my opinion. Just like all other great Spurs fans. The bad fans just give up and move on to another team. I never said he NEEDED to be fired, it was a suggestion to who should be our next coach. Pop can't coach forever kid, So hop off his dick, your pussy is getting dried up.

also, a TRUE fan would stay on "thier" team's board and not troll ours :)

balli
04-19-2009, 12:18 PM
also, a TRUE fan would stay on "thier" team's board and not troll ours :)
I'm not trolling "your" board you fucking dumbass. I have much respect and admiration for SAS and I'm giving said respect and my 2 cents of perspecive in regards to your coach. As I and many posters more influential than yourself often say, this place isn't meant to be a spurs fans circle jerk, so I'm sorry, you're going to have to deal with the fact that I'm not another spurs fan here to suck your dick over hate for Popovitch.

angel_luv
04-19-2009, 12:24 PM
I am torn between Coach Bud and Timvp.

peskypesky
04-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Avery Johnson with TimVP as lead assistant coach

braeden0613
04-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm not saying we should fire Pop, but I would like to see a little criticism in the media. Just because he brought us titles with 4 hall of famers on the teams over the years, doesn't mean he gets a free pass to make rotations that a high school coach would never even attempt.

itzsoweezee
04-19-2009, 12:46 PM
tom thibodeau (sp?)

Yogurt210
04-19-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm not trolling "your" board you fucking dumbass. I have much respect and admiration for SAS and I'm giving said respect and my 2 cents of perspecive in regards to your coach. As I and many posters more influential than yourself often say, this place isn't meant to be a spurs fans circle jerk, so I'm sorry, you're going to have to deal with the fact that I'm not another spurs fan here to suck your dick over hate for Popovitch.

ok buddy, whatever makes you sleep at night. So your a Spurs fan, but not really? I'm kinda lost. Do you live in San Antonio and like the Jazz?
But it's good to know the Spurs can have an impact on Jazz's fan loyalty.
Someones confused...lol

How do you consider yourself "influential"?
Does your mommy tell you that to motivate you along with your 4k post count? Add that to your resume kid..:lol

Your so called knowledge has no more say than any other person on here. We are all equal and entitled to our own opinion. Some people are blind on here though, but that's alright. They will learn the hardway.

Apparently Pop has you wrapped around his dick like the stripes on a candycane, and your not even a fan! hahahaha.

Go Jazz!...........NOT
:flag:

peskypesky
04-19-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm not saying we should fire Pop, but I would like to see a little criticism in the media. Just because he brought us titles with 4 hall of famers on the teams over the years, doesn't mean he gets a free pass to make rotations that a high school coach would never even attempt.

Saying Pop brought SA 4 titles is like saying Doc Rivers brought the Celtics one. It's giving credit where it's not due. Doc could have coached in Boston for a thousand years and he wouldn't have won a title if he hadn't gotten KG and Ray Allen added to the team. And Phil Jackson wouldn't have won dick if he hadn't coached 1. Michael Jordan and 2. Shaq/Kobe.

Tim Duncan brought the Spurs those 4 titles, and don't you ever forget that.

Yogurt210
04-19-2009, 01:06 PM
The team did, the fans did.

Spurs are not like the old Spurs, San Antonio is not like the old energetic San Antonio With Spurs mania everywhere on building signs cars etc.

San Antonio is spoiled. We need to lose, get our asses raped and realize we arent the same, maybe then will the majority of SA realize we need change.

As far as Pop goes, the more players he finds that are willing to suck his old cock for playing time(udoka/Bonner) the more he will cont. to coach like a bitch,

Baseline
04-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Saying Pop brought SA 4 titles is like saying Doc Rivers brought the Celtics one. It's giving credit where it's not due. Doc could have coached in Boston for a thousand years and he wouldn't have won a title if he hadn't gotten KG and Ray Allen added to the team. And Phil Jackson wouldn't have won dick if he hadn't coached 1. Michael Jordan and 2. Shaq/Kobe.

Tim Duncan brought the Spurs those 4 titles, and don't you ever forget that.

I've been saying this for years. A LOT of coaches could win 4 rings with Duncan at the helm.

The only thing I would disagree with you on is the Shaq/Kobe comment. Shaquille O'Neal won those rings. Bryant hasn't won squat without Shaquille, and if he wins one this year, it will be because he has Pau Gasol beside him. Bryant is no Jordan. Jordan won his rings without a dominant big man, and the only guy capable of doing that other than him is LeBron James.

But back to the point - Popovich gets entirely too much credit for being a great coach. He's clearly not a great coach this year. There's a reason he will retire 30 seconds after Tim retires - because he isn't really a good coach. His development of players is abominable. If I were George hill, I would run as far away from San antonio as humanly possible. Popovich will wreck this young guy's career.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Can we just bring back PJ as an assistant? He was Pop's sanity check.

HarlemHeat37
04-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Spurs fans ARE spoiled, that's for sure..but Pop deserves all the criticisms..

most of us appreciate what he's done for us, I still feel like he's the best coach in the NBA..but this isn't the same Pop that we're used to..this Popovich has been taken over by his ego and arrogance..

it has nothing to do with not having the players to succeed, because we clearly do..the issue is when the coach plays worse players over the better players, even though, there's no logic in it at all..

SnakeBoy
04-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Your team's banged the fuck up and the scrubs you have left aren't going to get a ring this year. Deal with it.

We are dealing with it, by bitching about Pop. It's a San Antonio tradition.

Coach Buzzcut
04-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Is my resume still on file or should I submit it again?