PDA

View Full Version : Explaining the mind of Pop

DespЏrado
04-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Long ramble about Popovich:

Love him or hate him, we are stuck with Greg Popovich as our coach. As with any coach, Pop has a certain mindset on how the game is supposed to be played and won. And you have to give him this much credit, he has managed to put enough rings on his hands to guarantee a spot in the hall of fame. Whether you believe that this is all a result of the coat tails of Tim Duncan or not, one has to acknowledge that for the most part Pop manages to get the team into a position where they can win just about any game.

They always seem to have a moment in every game where they can win or lose entirely on their own merits. In every game no matter how far they fall behind, they always manage to have at least one opportunity to steal a victory. You can probably give credit to Popovich for that.

But Popovich still manages to rub many the wrong way, and I count myself among them from time to time. Yet before we go clamoring for his head on a platter, let's take a moment to reflect on the why and how of Greg Popovich's coaching style.

Without a doubt Pop is a military man, his entire coaching philosophy seems to derive from an approach more commonly associated with our armed services. There is no doubt, at least in my mind, that he built this team on the basic precepts of what makes our military stand apart from the rest of the world.

I am referring to the basic idea that the military works because it uses a systems based approach to everything it does, for good or for ill, our military is a conglomeration of so many complex and diverse parts that functioning in such a world would be a logistical nightmare if you didn't have a plan for even the smallest detail already in place. When a superior force fails to achieve its goals on the battlefield it is almost always due to a lack of planning and implementation of those systems tried and tested on previous fields.

And in my heart, I believe Popovich clings to this military ideal for better or worse because overall it has proven to work. And you can almost see the logic behind it, almost. You put in place a structure that uses the pieces you have to their best advantage, and you give that system every opportunity to succeed that you can.

In this case Popovich believes that surrounding Duncan with the best three pointers he can is our best shot at a title this year. And given the fact that we have a better lineup of long range gunners than ever before you almost can't argue with that, almost.

The problem is that the team we have assembled for that system isn't a very good basketball team, and this is where one starts to wonder where Popovich's love of the "defense first" teams has fled to. Looking back on history one has to notice that Pop seems to fluctuate between two different systems the 3-ball/ finesse team and the defensive hard nosed team. In fact you can divide all of his players into those two categories.

Defense/ Hustle-
Malik Rose
Mario Elie
Kurt Thomas
Bowen
Udoka
Horry
Gooden
Hill
Kersey

Finesse/ 3-ball-
Beno
Hedo
Finley
Steve Smith
Barry
Kerr
Oberto (his main attribute are his kickouts)
Bonner
Anderson

In the past the teams that have relied on the former rather than the later have seemed to fair batter overall. But it is precisely Pop's tendency to waver between these two teams that get the spurs in trouble. They lose their focus and identity or sometimes, like right now he sacrifices the better talent to the system that has gotten more practice that year.

I think that explains the why of Popovich, and one has to admit, that when he gets it right the team works like a well oiled machine. But, and this is where it gets the most frustrating- basketball is not the military. It is a game of flow and momentum, and this is the one thing that makes Phil Jackson the superior coach. He doesn't fluctuate between systems. He picks his players based on their ability to take the flow of the game and make an impact. It's the reason why so many players like Pippen, Jordan, Kobe, Paxson, Kerr, .4, Horry, Horace Grant, (and now even Odom, and Gasol) come out of his system as something that exceed the sum of their parts, and why so many of Pop's players languish in gluts.

So I have two proposals for Popovich, let's use the system with the most talent, and the one he seems to have a better knack for coaching- IE the defensive one, and go with that this year. And let's not lose sight of the fact that flexibility can be our greatest strength.

timvp
04-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Interesting post. And yes, I agree that this offseason should be spent adding defensive pieces. This year's team could be the best three-point shooting Spurs team in Spurs history ... but I'd rather Pop coach a team that wins with defense.

kace
04-19-2009, 04:49 PM
There is no doubt, at least in my mind, that he built this team on the basic precepts of what makes our military stand apart from the rest of the world.

that's the only reason why. sorry for your superior basic precepts:

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/5523/worldmilitaryspending5zq.jpg

hater
04-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Pop just doesn't give a fuck anymore. He's filthy rich, got 4 rings and is a lock for the HOF.

Snaq O'Meal
04-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Let's also not forget the contributions of PJ Carlesimo to the coaching staff. I may be wrong, but the team hasn't exactly been the same since he left the Spurs.

kace
04-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Edit: auto-moderation

Spurz iN 09
04-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Why does he play Bonner?

Spursmania
04-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Why does he play Bonner?

That's the big question on everybody's mind. Probably even Bonner's.
Nobody understands this.:depressed

bdictjames
04-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Mail it to Pop's address, please.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-19-2009, 06:30 PM

No it isn't. Throwing money doesn't make the military run. Just like throwing money at a problem doesn't necessarily solve it.The money attracts experts, and talented leaders to know how to implement military expertise and impart it on its functioning branches.
That figure is an attempt to superficially dismiss the U.S. military and its past American exceptionalism....the money figure goes hand in hand, with the foundation for that money figure, which came from American grit of soldiers/fighters, and Generals with great minds, we didn't always have the money when we started as a nation....but that's neither here nor there.

This thread is very relevant to our current team's abysmal performances and lack of team dynamics.
Pop's been able to make the Spurs very entertaining at team play. But he has lost his spark the last two years.

VaSpursFan
04-19-2009, 07:48 PM
good read. i agree that pop is so rigid in his coaching style that it may be interfering with his ability to see or sense what's really happening on the floor. to me, he has to focus more on the flow of the game now rather than they system because his rotations have been all over the place this year.

Fabbs
04-19-2009, 08:12 PM
But, and this is where it gets the most frustrating- basketball is not the military. It is a game of flow and momentum, and this is the one thing that makes Phil Jackson the superior coach. He doesn't fluctuate between systems. He picks his players based on their ability to take the flow of the game and make an impact.
Phils continued superiority shown in Gm 1. While PopaCement has GHill glued to the bench while Parker is exhausted, Phil uses late season pickup 2nd year (92 games entire career) player Shannon Brown with huge success today. Now granted, the Jazz were without Okur and the Collusion of Gasol is the main thing keeping Phil Smug, but still just sayin.....

Pop:
http://www.nobleworksinc.net/licensing/albums/calendar-office-vey/coattais.jpg

Brazil
04-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Thx Desperado it was an interesting reading. Just a thought I think you're right regarding the Pop military mind but in the same time Pop has trusted and keeps on trusting maybe the worst guy for a military : Manu ! Pop gave to Manu the right to do whatever he wants because this was the best way to take advantage of the Manu qualities, this proves that Pop is not so rigid. Before being rigid Pop is smart.

Speaking about momentum, with Manu Pop has (actually had) in his team one of the king of the momentums like Kobe or Pierce for instance. Therefore I disagree with you on your statement about PJ being a superior coach on this aspect. Pop has always put in place system to let momentum happen essentially with Manu.

Thomas82
04-20-2009, 06:15 AM
Let's also not forget the contributions of PJ Carlesimo to the coaching staff. I may be wrong, but the team hasn't exactly been the same since he left the Spurs.

I have been hoping to get him back ever since he left Seattle.

Gutter92
04-20-2009, 07:23 AM

You wouldn't understand:

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/c/S/french_googleresults.jpg

Rogue
04-20-2009, 07:26 AM

Our beloved Spain on Iberia half-island isn't in this list, which means we spanish people love peace more than any other country's people do. LMAO @ those countries spending that much money without a war, surely US has an ideal pretext to waste that many tax-payer dollars in military. China has a big population so it's also reasonable China also uses more money to "protect" its people. I mean other than US and China, this list sucks. :lol

A busy man
04-20-2009, 07:30 AM
I'd love to share my thoughts but I'm a bit busy now.

kace
04-20-2009, 07:33 AM
You wouldn't understand:

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/c/S/french_googleresults.jpg

it could have been funny if this google screenshot was real. since not, it's rather lame.