PDA

View Full Version : trade george hill...

tonylongoriafan
04-19-2009, 01:25 PM
...because nearly everyone here thinks he's the next coming of jesus christ himself and should be annoited critical playoff minutes when he hasn't earned them...

...if we trade him now (according to y'all he has unlimited derrick rose-like potential) we could get something in return.

Yogurt210
04-19-2009, 01:32 PM
your right, Pop's will trade him for Greg Ostertag.
And watch GH take over starting PG for another team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-19-2009, 01:36 PM
You're an idiot. Hey, just to play it out right, let's trade him to Dallas for a draft pick, then we can watch him punk Tony defensively for the next couple of years.

tonylongoriafan
04-19-2009, 01:40 PM
your right, Pop's will trade him for Greg Ostertag.
And watch GH take over starting PG for another team.

and then have a good first year and get a big contract with said other team and then end up being what they are...a bad backup point guard starting for a horrible team stealing money...yes beno udrith is a good example :toast

Yogurt210
04-19-2009, 01:43 PM
and then have a good first year and get a big contract with said other team and then end up being what they are...a bad backup point guard starting for a horrible team stealing money...yes beno udrith is a good example :toast

Udoka/Bonner/vaugh are stealing money too then!
Therefore we have it bad :toast

tonylongoriafan
04-19-2009, 01:45 PM
You're an idiot. Hey, just to play it out right, let's trade him to Dallas for a draft pick, then we can watch him punk Tony defensively for the next couple of years.

i may be an idiot but you're an aggie fan

starting this thread was tongue in cheek, partially, george hill IS NOT derrick rose as i read somewhere else on here. many people want to give him playing minutes "just to give a chance".

dude had his chance during the season. i like his athleticism and think he can evolve into a solid jaque vaughn-like back up point gaurd, but dude will neve live up to the potential many on here are giving him.

DMX7
04-19-2009, 01:46 PM
I remember people here saying he was better than Rose 30 games into the season.

Yogurt210
04-19-2009, 01:52 PM
sigh, another victim to Pop's Hypnosis

TheProfessor
04-19-2009, 01:54 PM

starting this thread was tongue in cheek, partially, george hill IS NOT derrick rose as i read somewhere else on here. many people want to give him playing minutes "just to give a chance".

dude had his chance during the season.
Yes, and he performed admirably for much of it. Cutting him out of the equation entirely was the wrong move. Hill doesn't have to be Jesus for that to be true.

Dex
04-19-2009, 01:55 PM
i like his athleticism and think he can evolve into a solid jaque vaughn-like back up point gaurd, but dude will neve live up to the potential many on here are giving him.

George Hill and Jacque Vaughn's style of play are like on opposite sides of the basketball spectrum, but thanks for playing.

THE SIXTH MAN
04-19-2009, 02:01 PM
i like his athleticism and think he can evolve into a solid jaque vaughn-like back up point gaurd, but dude will neve live up to the potential many on here are giving him.

and this is where I stop reading your takes. :rollin

Yogurt210
04-19-2009, 02:02 PM
^ lmao

THE SIXTH MAN

:toast but I'll continue to enjoy your avatars.

Death In June
I think the extent of what people are saying is that he would be a good matchup against barea, allowing tony some much needed rest. He's also the best option we have at backup pg. Mason is awful. There's no reason to at least try it.

THE SIXTH MAN
04-19-2009, 02:04 PM
I think the extent of what people are saying is that he would be a good matchup against barea, allowing tony some much needed rest. He's also the best option we have at backup pg. Mason is awful. There's no reason to at least try it.

bingo was his name-o :tu

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-19-2009, 02:43 PM

dude had his chance during the season. i like his athleticism and think he can evolve into a solid jaque vaughn-like back up point gaurd, but dude will neve live up to the potential many on here are giving him.

Fuck, for most of the season whene he had his chance, he was doing a great job.

Let me guess, you were pumped seeing Tony completely gassed at the beginning of the fourth and getting punked by JJ freakin' Barea...

I'm sorry that matchups and giving Tony a breather are lost on you, but then you'd rather make a stupid comment about me being an Aggie fan than talk any hoops. Fair enough.

And I'm sorry, I have a hard time believing this thing is tongue in cheek. You're running around in multiple Hill threads bashing the guy and defending Pop. Anyone who thinks he is going to pull a Derrick Rose right now is a fool, but so is anyone who thinks he couldn't give us some burn at the point instead of having to watch Parker get bitch slapped by the backup point for the Mavs.

spursfan1000
04-19-2009, 02:49 PM
He just needs time to develop then POP will start giving him more minutes when he impresses POP. Just like Tony Parker when he didnt get much minutes as a rookie. Give him a chance.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2009, 03:03 PM
What stupid thread. No one thinks he's Derrick Rose. People think he's better than having NO backup point guard, which is the current state. Do you watch games? Do you see how painful it is to even get the ball up the court when Tony is out? No one is saying Hill is awesome. They are saying he's better than nothing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-19-2009, 03:07 PM
He just needs time to develop then POP will start giving him more minutes when he impresses POP. Just like Tony Parker when he didnt get much minutes as a rookie. Give him a chance.

He impressed Pop early in the season. But then he fucked up in a game after the All-Star break, and he's a rookie so now he's at the end of the bench while Pop stands there with his head in a hole in the ground pretending that Mason is a freakin' PG.

If Pop applied the same standards to Bonehead and Finley that he applied to Hill, neither would be in the rotation right now.

And that's crap. But don't worry. We'll get beat, they'll blame it on Manu being out and do jack this off-season, then wonder why 86 year old Michael Finley can't hang at PF next year...

(oh, and also Gooden will be a scapegoat, you can count on that. not that he is, but it'll be standard front office off-season fodder)

baseline bum
04-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Is this the kind of stupid shit they teach you at UTSA?

Hill has earned those minutes all season.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-19-2009, 03:39 PM

All we're missing is Tpark/Eric showing up to defend the great Pop and this thread will be complete :lol

Strike
04-19-2009, 03:40 PM

+1

I don't understand the repeated attempts to put Mason in at backup point guard when they have a point guard on the freaking bench!!! I fail to remember one time all season when Mason delivered at the point. I'm not trashing Roger, he's doing what his coach is telling him to do.

I'm so tired of Pop's anti-rookie attitude. Just because he's a first year player doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a shot in the playoffs. See what he does. If he fails, sit him. But don't just assume he's going to fail just because he's a rookie.

poop
04-19-2009, 03:43 PM

exactly. anyone saying he 'didnt earn' any minutes is a moron...so has bonner 'earned' all his tons of minutes??:rolleyes

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-19-2009, 03:52 PM
+1

I don't understand the repeated attempts to put Mason in at backup point guard when they have a point guard on the freaking bench!!! I fail to remember one time all season when Mason delivered at the point. I'm not trashing Roger, he's doing what his coach is telling him to do.

I'm so tired of Pop's anti-rookie attitude. Just because he's a first year player doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a shot in the playoffs. See what he does. If he fails, sit him. But don't just assume he's going to fail just because he's a rookie.

You're talking about the same coach who has insisted on the past in playing Michael Finley at "power forward" when he had bigs on the bench...

sananspursfan21
04-19-2009, 04:27 PM
not a bad idea barring that popovich doesn't use him. if he is simply waiting for him to gain some seniority, then he should stay, but he's wasting roster space if coach has no intentions of using him. i'm neutral on this one.

sananspursfan21
04-19-2009, 04:29 PM
...so has bonner 'earned' all his tons of minutes??:rolleyes

yah, bonner was a flop on defense last night as usual :rolleyes

tonylongoriafan
04-19-2009, 08:28 PM
What stupid thread. No one thinks he's Derrick Rose. People think he's better than having NO backup point guard, which is the current state. Do you watch games? Do you see how painful it is to even get the ball up the court when Tony is out? No one is saying Hill is awesome. They are saying he's better than nothing.

what a stupid response...i do watch every game.

i think everyone is overly excited about hill's "potential" rather than his actual production on the court. i admit he's exciting, but hill is not better than nothing, in terms of a back up point guard.

2008-2009 season stats in hills 70 games coming off the bench:
15.36 minutes per game
5.29 points per game
1.60 assists per game
he had better numbers the 7 games he started.
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/george_hill/season_splits.html

i'm sure hill will get on the court at some point in the playoffs, albeit by foul trouble or some other circumstance...and don't get me wrong, i hope he goes off and proves me wrong...but i disagree with anyone who thinks george hill should play because he's earned minutes or gives the spurs a better chance of winning, because he doesn't.

i'll listen to the argument and might potentially agree with how this affects hill's future, but this is about winning now.

:flag:

tonylongoriafan
04-19-2009, 08:38 PM
George Hill and Jacque Vaughn's style of play are like on opposite sides of the basketball spectrum, but thanks for playing.

first off, george hill doesn't have a style of play, just yet.

and secondly i said jacque vaughn-like in terms of him being a veteran back up point guard not vaughn's specific gameplay style.

tonylongoriafan
04-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Fuck, for most of the season whene he had his chance, he was doing a great job.

Let me guess, you were pumped seeing Tony completely gassed at the beginning of the fourth and getting punked by JJ freakin' Barea...

I'm sorry that matchups and giving Tony a breather are lost on you, but then you'd rather make a stupid comment about me being an Aggie fan than talk any hoops. Fair enough.

And I'm sorry, I have a hard time believing this thing is tongue in cheek. You're running around in multiple Hill threads bashing the guy and defending Pop. Anyone who thinks he is going to pull a Derrick Rose right now is a fool, but so is anyone who thinks he couldn't give us some burn at the point instead of having to watch Parker get bitch slapped by the backup point for the Mavs.

1. hill was not doing a great this season...he played well in 5 games in november when parker was out. the rest of the season he was sporatic, at best.

2. i was not pumped about about the 4 quarter. i do understand the matchups and agree with you to an extent, but barea had a career game that will not be duplicated...it makes no sense throw away the whole gameplan cause a few guys (barea & bass) got hot. the spurs lost more because of second chance points/rebounding.

3. feel free to make fun of my utsa and single mom rehetoric

4. this is tongue and cheek, we actually should have traded hill BEFORE he started sucking after the all star break...oh wait, the spurs did try to do that.

5. i posted this take in 1 other thread...3 responses: a) hill hasn't earned playoff minutes b) as a more pick and roll based offense, it makes more sense to have another shooter on the court c) this team more than any other in the past has less room for error and couldn't take another beno udrith 2005 game 5 end of 3rd quarter moment: while this is defined as multiple posts, this is not "running around in multiple threads". i am not anit-george hill...i'm just not ready to say "to hell with it, let's see if the works"

we're both on the same side here, ultimately, but i just don't see hill as a savor to this playoff run

:flag: :flag: :flag:

tonylongoriafan
04-19-2009, 09:09 PM

Go Roadrunners!

Spursmania
04-19-2009, 09:12 PM

That's right.:toast

Also, I know will be bumping this thread in the future because Georg Hill is going to develop into a great PG. Book it!
Remember when he took over the games when Parker was out? He held up pretty well. Everybody was thrilled. Who knows why Pop has had him in the shithouse for awhile now and won't play him.
Also, there is no similarity between Jacque Vaugn and Hill.

Spursmania
04-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Also, remember it's not just offense we're talking about. "Condor" Hill is very aggressive defensively. Pop had been using him more for his defensive the last few games he played.

tonylongoriafan
04-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Also, remember it's not just offense we're talking about. "Condor" Hill is very aggressive defensively. Pop had been using him more for his defensive the last few games he played.

i agree he can get in there and contribute defensively in certain situations, i just don't see the travesty in not playing him that others do...his impact will be minimal...

and i know pop did put hill on kobe that one game and hill did do a good job, but kobe was still productive and did hit the go ahead shot before mason's shot...i'll give you he's above average on one on one defense play, but i'll argue his team defense is probably the main reason for his lack of playing time down the stretch of the season.

pjjrfan
04-19-2009, 09:27 PM
HIll has game, for some reason Hill has been afraid to take his shots when he gets some good looks, but otherwise the guy has played well, done a good job made some great defensive plays and provided energy in enough games that I just don't understand why Pop benched him, except that maybe he thought with Manu back he could spare Hill some grief, but then Manu went down for the season and Pop has still stuck with Mason at the point. Kori is right in seeing how painfull it is to see this team struggle just to get the ball past the midcourt line.

Spursmania
04-19-2009, 09:30 PM
I really would like Pop to try him against Barea though when Barea comes in. That little guy is so fast and Tony looked spent by the 4th quarter. I don't think we have anybody fast enough to get in front of this little guy but Parker and Hill.

I just can't believe we contained Jet and Dirk pretty well and still got beat by their bench 39 to 14 points. Barea and Bass were the main contributors.:depressed

tlongII
04-19-2009, 09:31 PM
There can only be two reasons for Hill not to be playing.

Either he sucks or Popovich is a poor coach. You decide.

I'm leaning toward both.

SouthTexasRancher
04-19-2009, 09:47 PM
...because nearly everyone here thinks he's the next coming of jesus christ himself and should be annoited critical playoff minutes when he hasn't earned them...

...if we trade him now (according to y'all he has unlimited derrick rose-like potential) we could get something in return.

Well it is true, an IDIOT really is born every minute. Trouble is you covered a whole 24 hour period. Do you just sit all day on the commode trying to think of stupid topics? Well, you succeeded.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah, trade a very promising defensive combo guard on a late first round rookie contract (significant given the salary cap shrinkage we're going to see) after you've just put him through a year of getting to know the system. :rolleyes

He will play a significant role next year and beyond.

OP, you'd be a lousy GM.

Buddy Holly
04-19-2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.razaodiada.orconhosting.net.nz/Stupid%20thread.gif

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-19-2009, 11:47 PM
1. hill was not doing a great this season...he played well in 5 games in november when parker was out. the rest of the season he was sporatic, at best.

Yeah, he went from having consistent minutes with a consistent rotation to sporadic minutes, lineups pulled out of a hat, and a short leash from an asshat coach who is notoriously stupid when it comes to rookies.

2. i was not pumped about about the 4 quarter. i do understand the matchups and agree with you to an extent, but barea had a career game that will not be duplicated...it makes no sense throw away the whole gameplan cause a few guys (barea & bass) got hot. the spurs lost more because of second chance points/rebounding.

I only pray that the coaching staff isn't as naive about Barea as you appear to be. Down the stretch of the regular season Dallas used Barea as their sixth man and spark plug, much in the sense that we used Manu when he was healthy for ours.

Chalking it up to a fluke game by JJ is just dumb. He comes in fresh and runs by folks who are winded from playing the whole damn game.

3. feel free to make fun of my utsa and single mom rehetoric

Eh. Pass.

4. this is tongue and cheek, we actually should have traded hill BEFORE he started sucking after the all star break...oh wait, the spurs did try to do that.

It was dumb when the Spurs though that, and it's dumb now for you to say.

[quote]
5. i posted this take in 1 other thread...3 responses: a) hill hasn't earned playoff minutes b) as a more pick and roll based offense, it makes more sense to have another shooter on the court c) this team more than any other in the past has less room for error and couldn't take another beno udrith 2005 game 5 end of 3rd quarter moment: while this is defined as multiple posts, this is not "running around in multiple threads". i am not anit-george hill...i'm just not ready to say "to hell with it, let's see if the works"
[quote]

a) like Matt candy ass Bonner and his three more boards per game than a dead man and 35% 3 pt shooting over the last two months have? Give me a fucking break!

b) Hill can shoot when given the opportunity. His problems were always finishing at the rim. Give him some run and let Mason focus on being a shooting guard again. A rising tide lifts all ships

c) Fuck margin for error. This team is done in 4, 5 games tops if Pop continues to trot out Mason at PG while sitting Hill on the pine. Mason's distracted, Tony is gassed by the fourth, and Carlisle's going to keep running Terry and Barea at Tony at 100 mph all series.

I don't give a damn how much you love Tony, he needs a breather and some help at the PG slot, and Mason ain't it.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2009, 11:54 PM
what a stupid response...i do watch every game.

i think everyone is overly excited about hill's "potential" rather than his actual production on the court. i admit he's exciting, but hill is not better than nothing, in terms of a back up point guard.

2008-2009 season stats in hills 70 games coming off the bench:
15.36 minutes per game
5.29 points per game
1.60 assists per game
he had better numbers the 7 games he started.
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/george_hill/season_splits.html

i'm sure hill will get on the court at some point in the playoffs, albeit by foul trouble or some other circumstance...and don't get me wrong, i hope he goes off and proves me wrong...but i disagree with anyone who thinks george hill should play because he's earned minutes or gives the spurs a better chance of winning, because he doesn't.

i'll listen to the argument and might potentially agree with how this affects hill's future, but this is about winning now.

You aren't hearing what anyone is saying (writing). No one thinks he's going to put up big stats. They think he will be able to bring the ball up the court when Tony is out and get the Spurs into their offense. That's all people expect. No one expects him to put up big stats. 4 points, 2 rebounds and 1 assist and some defense in 10 mpg would be enough, as long as he could get them into their offensive schemes. When Parker goes out, the offense turns to hell. If Hill was in, the wings could actually do what they are supposed to do, instead of trying to pretend to be point guards.

Blackjack
04-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Yeah, he went from having consistent minutes with a consistent rotation to sporadic minutes, lineups pulled out of a hat, and a short leash from an asshat coach who is notoriously stupid when it comes to rookies.

:tu

Well, to everything but the asshat and stupid blasts.:lol

c) Fuck margin for error. This team is done in 4, 5 games tops if Pop continues to trot out Mason at PG while sitting Hill on the pine. Mason's distracted, Tony is gassed by the fourth, and Carlisle's going to keep running Terry and Barea at Tony at 100 mph all series.

I don't give a damn how much you love Tony, he needs a breather and some help at the PG slot, and Mason ain't it.

I'd also like to add, margin of error for what?

This isn't about winning a title anymore, so are the Spurs supposed to be looking to save face, or throw caution to the wind and let the chips fall where they may?

Personally, I'd prefer the latter.

Tony needs a breather, Roger needs to be a 2, and Gooden and Hill need minutes (to varying degrees) for production and/or future growth.