PDA

View Full Version : In A Twist, Spurs Have A Problem - And It's J.J. Barea

duncan228
04-19-2009, 03:12 PM
In a twist, Spurs have a problem - and it's J.J. Barea (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/041909dnspotaylor.3f24082.html)
Jean-Jacques Taylor
Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – In a game with Jason Kidd and Tony Parker, J.J. Barea was the best point guard on the court.

Go figure.

The Mavs lead this Western Conference quarterfinals series because San Antonio couldn't figure out how to deal with Barea, who shut down Parker in the second half, while continually attacking the Spurs' basket.

Rick Carlisle is probably going to be mad today because everyone will be praising Barea for dominating Parker in every facet of the game, especially during the fourth quarter.

Carlisle will want us to keep Barea's performance in perspective because he doesn't want Parker more focused than usual.

Too bad.

We all saw Barea's masterful game. So did those 18,797 folks at AT&T Center.

You can't keep it quiet when an undrafted 6-footer from Puerto Rico by way of a basketball power like Northeastern dominates one of the world's best point guards.

Barea finished with 13 points and three assists, but that hardly begins to describe his impact in the Mavs' 105-97 win.

Carlisle started Barea in the third quarter after the Spurs took a 49-45 halftime lead that would've been considerably larger had Brandon Bass not been such a force in the second quarter.

After watching the Mavs struggle to find an offensive rhythm in the first half, Carlisle went to a lineup he's used 15 times to start games. It puts Barea and Kidd in backcourt.

Kidd calls the plays, but Barea handles the ball most of the time.

Barea's job is to penetrate and score or pass the ball to his teammates for open jumpers because the defense has collapsed on him to protect the basket. And if Barea misses, his teammates should be in position to gather offensive rebounds because the Spurs are concentrating on him.

The Mavs scored 60 points and committed one turnover in the second half.

You must understand that no one stops Parker. The Mavs didn't do it Saturday night, considering he finished with 24 points and eight assists.

Barea, though, slowed Parker down.

Carlisle used Antoine Wright, the Mavs' most consistent defender, on Parker to start the game, but Wright finished the first half with three fouls. Jason Terry simply can't guard Parker because he isn't quick enough.

Parker finished the first half with 13 points and seven assists, and looked every bit like the player who dominated the Mavs more than any other guard except Chris Paul this season.

Dallas had no answer for Parker until Barea started guarding him.

Parker is one of the fastest players in the league baseline to baseline but Barea can match his quickness. Barea's goal: stay in front of Parker, limit his access to the paint and hope he misses some jumpers.

That's exactly what happened in the second half. Parker made only three of nine shots with one assist while committing two offensive fouls.

It was easy to see Parker getting frustrated.

"I got a charge on him early in the fourth quarter, and I think it bothered him a little bit. He started putting his head down a little bit," Barea said. "He's been killing us all year. I just try to stay in front of him and do my best."

Barea took over offensively in the fourth quarter.

With the Mavs leading, 79-77, he hit a 21-foot jumper. Then he fed Bass for a dunk and Wright for a 3-pointer, pushing the Mavs lead to 86-80 with 8:08 left.

Two minutes later, Barea clinched the win with a layup, a free throw and a runner during a 32-second span, giving the Mavs a 93-83 lead with 5:31 left.

The Spurs won't panic.

They're a veteran team with championship pedigree. Four times since 2003, they've been in this situation and won the series.

It won't happen this time if the Spurs don't figure out a way to deal with Barea.

Seriously.

SpursDynasty
04-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't think a 5'10" player who averaged 7.8 points this year is necessarily going to be a difference maker against a 4-time NBA champion team. Anyone can have a good game on any given night, it's not happening series-long.

jag
04-19-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't think a 5'10" player who averaged 7.8 points this year is necessarily going to be a difference maker against a 4-time NBA champion team. Anyone can have a good game on any given night, it's not happening series-long.

Due to this post, i expect JJ to blow up for 45 and 15 tomorrow.

spursfan09
04-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Wasn't he the one who said that the Spurs are the ones who the Mavs wanted to play? At least his play backed up what he said.

I had no idea that Barea wasn't even cracking 8 pts a game for them. I thought he was a 5 time all star. I think if Bonner played for the Mavs he would most likely play like a superstar against us.

phxspurfan
04-19-2009, 05:39 PM
KryptoNate had huge games against us...and that little guy that used to play for the Nugs always killed us (Boykins?)...

Obstructed_View
04-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I can't imagine a world where the backup point guard can be effective, since the Spurs have always had a competent backup point guard to match their opponents.

benefactor
04-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Adjustments will be made to deal with Barea. It's keeping the stars at bay for the whole series that concerns me.

monosylab1k
04-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Barea won't go off for the whole series. Same with Bass.

bdictjames
04-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Barea won't go off for the whole series. Same with Bass.
Reverse psychology by a Mav fan. When did you guys get so humble? :lol

SenorSpur
04-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Which is why I said before the series started, Pop will realize that he cannot just "freeze out" Hill for this series. He absolutely has to play this kid in this series. He needs Hill to help slow down Barea on the defensive end and then to pair him up with Tony and help breakdown the Mavs defense, when the Spurs have the ball.

If Parker is indeed fatigued, who could blame him? He's carried a very heavy load all season and now he's playing even more minutes in the playoffs. Get the guy some "real" help.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Pop may be crazy but he's going to at least make the adjustment for Barea in game 2. And that's "just in case" because he might not even have to...I liked Barea's effort, but his 4th quarter run might have been just a fluke. He doesn't have a jumpshot to keep him off the hook for entire series. And if the Spurs actually boxed out Barea wouldn't have accounted for so many points that came from putbacks..

The only advantage he has is his speed and the Spurs inability to defend for two complete halves.
Who knows, he might go Devin Harris for two games (I don't remember Harris needing a jumpshot in 2006)...we'll see...if the Spurs have to focus on another player outside of containing Dirk, Howard and Terry for the whole series, that just shows how our team defense relies too much on certain individuals , rather than the unit as a whole....

Kidd calls the plays, but Barea handles the ball most of the time.

Barea's job is to penetrate and score or pass the ball to his teammates for open jumpers because the defense has collapsed on him to protect the basket. And if Barea misses, his teammates should be in position to gather offensive rebounds because the Spurs are concentrating on him.
This is probably why Kidd's had a pretty good season this year despite his age.. I thought Kidd was done, but Carlisle actually put someone else's fresh legs to work to give Kidd a lifeline...Kidd still gets to be floor general, and be out there with the scrub Barea, while Barea is allowed to get playing time, deserved or not.

Pop's excuse that Hill is still playing like an undersized SG is bullshit. :bang
Barea is a frickin' midget and isn't naturally or exceptionally talented at PG at all.

Pop is just taking Parker's youth for granted.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Which is why I said before the series started, Pop will realize that he cannot just "freeze out" Hill for this series. He absolutely has to play this kid in this series.

Pop freezing out Hill for this series based on the justification that he is undersized and plays the 2, reminds of the questionable FO' justification for not taking Scola. "But Tim plays the 4, it can't work! and Scola might not be able to rebound.."

It's like saying "oh but it'll take 5 years to actually drill to start seeing results, so why even bother drilling right now " or "it'lls take 4 years of Med School to be a doctor, and start treating the sick, so if we can't treat the sick now, let's not start now"

We've got nothing to lose with Hill playing in these playoffs. You can see it in the team's demeanor that they don't expect to win the title and are just treating it as a game to game affair and hope for the best if the opportunity to go all the way presents itself. Hill should get playing time. We can't do much worse.
If Pop can gamble with Bonner he has no excuse.

monosylab1k
04-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Reverse psychology by a Mav fan. When did you guys get so humble? :lol

I have no idea what you're talking about.

ElNono
04-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Pop already has the solution, and he will unleash it the next game... He'll play Vaughn on Barea... :pctoss

Amuseddaysleeper
04-19-2009, 07:34 PM
I honestly would not be surprised at Pop playing JV over Hill in game 2.

Watch.

tlongII
04-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Barea killed us this year. Dude is a pain in the ass.

VaSpursFan
04-19-2009, 07:37 PM
why do i get the feeling that Pop's strategy will be to force JJB into being a scorer and staying home on everyone else...

i really want hill to get some burn but oh well.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-19-2009, 07:37 PM
I honestly would not be surprised at Pop playing JV over Hill in game 2.

Watch.

:bang:bang

Obstructed_View
04-19-2009, 09:23 PM
With all the rookies that are receiving playoff minutes, some of whom were picked after George Hill, I think someone from the local media should ask Pop why he thinks George is such a great fucking pick if he's not capable of playing when the team seems so desperately to need his exact skillset.

Kori, do you still have your press pass?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-19-2009, 10:03 PM
George Hill on Barea. End of discussion.

SenorSpur
04-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Pop freezing out Hill for this series based on the justification that he is undersized and plays the 2, reminds of the questionable FO' justification for not taking Scola. "But Tim plays the 4, it can't work! and Scola might not be able to rebound.."

It's like saying "oh but it'll take 5 years to actually drill to start seeing results, so why even bother drilling right now " or "it'lls take 4 years of Med School to be a doctor, and start treating the sick, so if we can't treat the sick now, let's not start now" .
Agreed. It's the same bullshit excuse some keep saying as to why the Spurs can't develop a young player. "There's no time. Spurs are trying to win now." As if the right young piece couldn't be a solid contributor to a team that has championship aspirations. If the Celtics had that mindset Rajon Rondo would've never left the bench and would've never developed into a solid contributor in just his second season!

We've got nothing to lose with Hill playing in these playoffs. You can see it in the team's demeanor that they don't expect to win the title and are just treating it as a game to game affair and hope for the best if the opportunity to go all the way presents itself. Hill should get playing time. We can't do much worse. If Pop can gamble with Bonner he has no excuse.

Amen. If you're already losing, and the Spurs have lost one home game, that alone, should take away much of the fear an all of the excuse. Hill needs to play. It's grossly unreasonable for Pop to expect Tony to log 40+ miniutes running the show and then have to chase Barea's ass around on pick-n-roll situations too. That's why the dude was gassed by the end of the game.

SpursFan0728
04-20-2009, 02:54 AM
our answer for him

WEySaI_yBRQ

HarlemHeat37
04-20-2009, 03:24 AM
Phil Jackson played Shannon Brown today, it was Brown's first minutes of playoff experience in his career..he responded well..

Courtney Lee got 41 minutes in his 1st playoff game, and he responded with a big game..Gortat got 10 minutes, which would be a good enough amount for George..

Mario Chalmers played 34 minutes and had a decent game..

Batum got 18 minutes, even though he didn't have a good game, and Portland has other options instead..

The only inexperienced players off the top of my head that didn't get any real minutes were Bayless and Speights, but both those teams have better options..the Spurs don't have a better option than Hill..it's puzzling how Pop is so stubborn..

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 03:52 AM
Mario Chalmers was like -30, so I wouldn't cite him as an example. If Hill was a better pick than he was, then he should be seeing court time, especially when he fits the need.

/broken record

spursncowboys
04-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Due to this post, i expect JJ to blow up for 45 and 15 tomorrow.
45 reb and 15 blocks right? Seriously, I think if we can live with Barrera getting 10 pts a game. there is no way his shots will go in with that kind of consistency two playoff games in a row.

LEONARD
04-20-2009, 10:06 AM
JJ was my x-factor going in...

It brings me great joy everytime he blows by somebody and gets to the rim for a bucket, just knowing that SpursDynasty is sitting in his mom's basement with a pistol in his mouth...

nkdlunch
04-20-2009, 10:10 AM
the Spurs main problem is not JJ Barea. It's their new style of deer in the headlights defense

SenorSpur
04-20-2009, 12:50 PM

I hate to say this, but this Barea kid has done this all year long for the Mavs. He's earned enough trust from Carlisle to warrant occasional starts opposite Kidd in the backcourt - depending on matchups. He give their team something they don't have from their starter - Kidd - quickness and speed.

Bass, on the other hand, represents the other worry for the Spurs, for which they have no answer for. He gives them athleticism, outside shooting and tenacious play around the rim.

That's one of the big keys in building a roster - having an assortment of skills set that complement one another. Now, I'm not lauding the Mavs of developing the best bench in the NBA, but at least they have some skill variety and not just 5 old reserrve players that are either 3-point chuckers or simply offensively-challenged alltogether.

howbouthemspurs
04-20-2009, 02:19 PM
J.J. Barea is like a fucking nat you can't seem to flick away. I believe Parker is going to go nuts tonight and dominate that little twerp and make him look like the piece of garbage that he really is.

duncan228
04-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Before we get too carried away about the greatness of J.J. Barea ... (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/04/before-we-get-too-carried-away-about-the.html)
Tim MacMahon
Dallas Morning News

I was as impressed as anybody by J.J. Barea's phenomenal Game 1 performance. But one great night doesn't guarantee that Barea will be a major factor during the entire series.

The Spurs couldn't have been too surprised by Barea's success. After all, he had a 21-point, five-assist performance during San Antonio's OT win in Dallas this season.

But Barea had a zero-point afternoon in the Spurs' other trip to the AAC.

It's a safe bet that Gregg Popovich will come up with a way to prevent Barea from killing the Spurs with penetration. And Tony Parker, who wasn't exactly complimentary of Barea in his postgame comments, will probably be pretty determined to prove that the pint-sized Puerto Rican can't play at his level again.

Game 1 might be as good as it gets for Barea.

Agloco
04-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Before we get too carried away about the greatness of J.J. Barea ... (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/04/before-we-get-too-carried-away-about-the.html)
Tim MacMahon
Dallas Morning News

I was as impressed as anybody by J.J. Barea's phenomenal Game 1 performance. But one great night doesn't guarantee that Barea will be a major factor during the entire series.

The Spurs couldn't have been too surprised by Barea's success. After all, he had a 21-point, five-assist performance during San Antonio's OT win in Dallas this season.

It's a safe bet that Gregg Popovich will come up with a way to prevent Barea from killing the Spurs with penetration. And Tony Parker, who wasn't exactly complimentary of Barea in his postgame comments, will probably be pretty determined to prove that the pint-sized Puerto Rican can't play at his level again.

And reality begins to take hold once again.......

SenorSpur
04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Phil Jackson played Shannon Brown today, it was Brown's first minutes of playoff experience in his career..he responded well..

Courtney Lee got 41 minutes in his 1st playoff game, and he responded with a big game..Gortat got 10 minutes, which would be a good enough amount for George..

Mario Chalmers played 34 minutes and had a decent game..

Batum got 18 minutes, even though he didn't have a good game, and Portland has other options instead..

The only inexperienced players off the top of my head that didn't get any real minutes were Bayless and Speights, but both those teams have better options..the Spurs don't have a better option than Hill..it's puzzling how Pop is so stubborn..

:tu :tu

No other coach is so resistant toward playing young players more than Pop. It's his BIGGEST flaw, as a coach. Note to Pop: All older players are not treasures, and all young player are not trash.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Tim MacMahon
Dallas Morning News

Guess who played?

http://www.nba.com/media/hill300x400_080807.jpg

Actually, JJB only played 2 minutes in the game, which is probably the reason
for his relatively poor output, but if a professional writer can fudge the facts, so can I.

D-ROB 50
04-20-2009, 06:28 PM
tonights starters

duncan
gooden
bowen
hill
parker

lets do this thing!