PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Ponder Options After Loss To Dallas Mavericks

duncan228
04-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Spurs ponder options after loss to Dallas Mavericks (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042009dnspospurssider.2c01628.html)
By Gaylon Krizak / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – The biggest problem with the San Antonio Spurs' defensive game plan in Game 1? It worked.

The Spurs got Dirk Nowitzki in early foul trouble. They limited Jason Terry to a relatively quiet 12 points in 35 minutes. They did what coach Gregg Popovich labeled "a great job" in transition defense.

They wanted to make the "other" Mavericks beat them. The Mavericks did, 105-97.

Which makes the question heading into tonight's Game 2 at the AT&T Center: Now what?

"If you lose, it's 'What will you change in your game plan?' right?" Popovich asked after the Spurs' Sunday practice. "Yeah, we'll make some adjustments. Even if you win, you make some adjustments."

Such as?

"We stuck to the game plan pretty well, but let some other guys get off," swingman Ime Udoka said. "So we'll focus more on other guys as well as trying to have our main focus be on Dirk and Jason Terry. But we understand that we can't just let guys get open shots.

"We were so focused on Dirk that we weren't really hedging and stopping the ball. A guy like [J.J. Barea] steps up and has an opportunity; he was somewhat unexpected, but we know what he can do. It'll just be more of a focus on him now; what we do to most guards all year."

Popovich's main area of focus Sunday appeared to be working to keep the Mavericks off the offensive boards.

The Mavericks had a 21-8 edge Saturday in second-chance points, even though the Mavs actually had fewer offensive rebounds (10) than the Spurs (12).

"What really were the factors that got away from us were the 21 points they got on the offensive boards," Popovich said. "A good portion of that was Barea getting into the middle; that helped [Erick Dampier] be as effective as he was at the rim."

The Spurs have dealt with early series adversity. Not only was Saturday's loss the Spurs' third in a row in a playoff series opener, but each of the franchise's four NBA championship teams – 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007 – lost one of its first two home playoff games.

"We're good," Udoka said. "We didn't play terrible, but it was a few mistakes we made that cost us. Down one game, it isn't the end of the series. We know there's still a long way to go, and everybody seems upbeat."

So the Spurs remain confident. But as newest Spur Drew Gooden pointed out, that can be a double-edged sword.

"It's a comfort, but at the same time, that can be an Achilles' heel, being comfortable," said Gooden, who scored eight points in not quite 18 minutes in his Spurs playoff debut. "If you're satisfied, all forward progress has ceased."

VaSpursFan
04-19-2009, 07:51 PM
gotta agree with Gooden's statement. light a fire and get that passion back. time to get angry!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-19-2009, 08:01 PM
gotta agree with Gooden's statement. light a fire and get that passion back. time to get angry!

I have no problems with Gooden. He's too new to blame for whatever weaknesses right now, and his 2nd quarter burst of 8 points made the Spurs look really good. The Mavericks were forced to adjust to him by staying with him and that let Tim operate better.

"It's a comfort, but at the same time, that can be an Achilles' heel, being comfortable," said Gooden, who scored eight points in not quite 18 minutes in his Spurs playoff debut. "If you're satisfied, all forward progress has ceased."

That's way better than Udoka's crappy answer. "we're good...we didn't play terrible"
More of the Spurs squad need to have Gooden's enthusiasm.
Udoka's answer is what is wrong with the current team help. Everyone on the team should HATE losing. Tim put in extra minutes in practice and he was the best player yesterday.

duncan228
04-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Tim put in extra minutes in practice and he was the best player yesterday.

Duncan is Captain and he leads by example. Hopefully they'll all benefit from his work.

VaSpursFan
04-19-2009, 08:09 PM
what troubles me is according to Udoka's statement, the team overlooked, or didn't expect, JJB to have an impact on the game. wow @ the coaching staff...

ElNono
04-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Playing better defense is the only option... This team has only done it for small stretches all season long, so I'd like to know how Pop is gonna pull that one off starting next game.

Findog
04-19-2009, 08:49 PM
They held Dirk and JET to 31 points and put the game in the hands of Josh Howard, JJ Barea and Brandon Bass. That backfired, but is that really a bad strategy? Do you see JJB frustrating Tony like that 3 more times?

If I'm the Spurs, I'm extremely worried that I got good performances from Tim and Tony, Finley stepped up and scored 19, the team shot 11-14 from behind the arc, and yet the Mavs won decisively.

If I'm Dallas, I'm worried that the role players and reserves are not going to be able to keep punishing for its defensive focus on Dirk and Jet. Having Josh back playing the slashing/disruptive type instead of a lazy chucker just makes us so much better.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-19-2009, 08:58 PM
They held Dirk and JET to 31 points and put the game in the hands of Josh Howard, JJ Barea and Brandon Bass. That backfired, but is that really a bad strategy? Do you see JJB frustrating Tony like that 3 more times?

If I'm the Spurs, I'm extremely worried that I got good performances from Tim and Tony, Finley stepped up and scored 19, the team shot 11-14 from behind the arc, and yet the Mavs won decisively.

If I'm Dallas, I'm worried that the role players and reserves are not going to be able to keep punishing for its defensive focus on Dirk and Jet. Having Josh back playing the slashing/disruptive type instead of a lazy chucker just makes us so much better.

:tu

Spursmania
04-19-2009, 09:05 PM

all those things are true:tu

pjjrfan
04-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Playing better defense is the only option... This team has only done it for small stretches all season long, so I'd like to know how Pop is gonna pull that one off starting next game.
those were Coach Brown's thoughts getting the team more defensive He conceded that the Mavs have more scoring depth than the Spurs, so defense has to be the focus. My guess is Pop will use HIll and Bowen more. Pop might try Hill on either Howard and Barea and keep Bowen mostly on Terry. Dirk is another matter, but Bonner sure aint the answer.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Hmmm...adjustments...keeping Barea out of the paint, while being able to rebound...

Hmmm....

http://www.nba.com/media/hill300x400_080807.jpg

Spursmania
04-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Hmmm...adjustments...keeping Barea out of the paint, while being able to rebound...

Hmmm....

http://www.nba.com/media/hill300x400_080807.jpg

Nice Tat George! And, I'll be praying for you tonight in hopes that we see you play against Dallas. I think you could show Barea a thing or two.