PDA

View Full Version : Pop is like Bill Parcells

cwhitti
04-19-2009, 08:30 PM
They both come from the old school coaching theory that a veteran is better than youth because young players make mistakes. They both also believe in “their guys.”

Parcells hung on to old quarterbacks too long and Pop is doing the same with the basketball quarterback – the point guard.

J.T.
04-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Nice thread.

spursncowboys
04-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Throughout the Pop era, we have never been able to maintain a lead.
Our team couldn't have asked for a better coach though. The NBA is a better league because of Pop. Every team waits for us to get rid of a player so they can get them. Everyone wants management and coaches that know the basic system of the Spurs. I hopes that they can create something similar.

cwhitti
04-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Agreed, Pop is the best spurs coach of all time and a top 5 in the league. It is just frustrating watching jacque vaughn, Nick Van Excel, Damond Stoudermire and others just as it was watching vinny testaverde and Drew Bledsoe.

50Bestspurever
04-19-2009, 08:43 PM
parcells is better at putting teams togethor than coaching them.

cwhitti
04-19-2009, 08:49 PM
parcells is better at putting teams togethor than coaching them.

Agreed, when his assistants leave, his teams do not do as well.

Spooky
04-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Both of them are great coaches

SouthTexasRancher
04-19-2009, 09:54 PM
They both come from the old school coaching theory that a veteran is better than youth because young players make mistakes. They both also believe in “their guys.”

Parcells hung on to old quarterbacks too long and Pop is doing the same with the basketball quarterback – the point guard.

Just like players coaches too, run up against Father Time. Look at guys like Tom Landry, Pat Riley, Chuck Daley, and on and on...

The league is changing towards more athletic players at each position. We've had a great run with Pop's style but, if he wants to keep going after championships he has to realize he will have to change with the times and I doubt seriously that he is willing to do that. When Tim retires, Pop will retire. Both will go into the Hall of Fame together.

Lots of cities with multiple sports teams would love to have one championship in any sport...San Antonio has 4 in the last 10 years and in this day and age that is damn impressive!!! And yes I do hope we can get #5 while Tim & Pop are here.

SenorSpur
04-20-2009, 02:59 PM
The league is changing towards more athletic players at each position. We've had a great run with Pop's style but, if he wants to keep going after championships he has to realize he will have to change with the times and I doubt seriously that he is willing to do that. When Tim retires, Pop will retire. Both will go into the Hall of Fame together.

I will give Pop all the credit in the world for being one of the better motivators and game tacticians in NBA history. His place in NBA history is both secure and well-deserved. He has, on occasion, shown an ability to evolve, too. However his infamous mistrust of younger players, and his over-reliance on older, players, is very similar to the glorified gym teacher (Parcells). That said, it does make one wonder whether Pop has the stomach and patience to coach and develop younger players.

DAF86
04-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I agree with the OP, Pop is a great coach but everybody has their flaws. One of Pop's is not trusting young guys.

honestfool84
04-20-2009, 04:51 PM
i could probably count 5 threads that this could have fit right in, perfectly.

just saying..

50Bestspurever
04-20-2009, 05:49 PM
I would love to have seen how pop would have worked with an owner who had deep deep pockets. That would have been so cool.

SenorSpur
04-20-2009, 05:55 PM
I would love to have seen how pop would have worked with an owner who had deep deep pockets. That would have been so cool.

Wow! If only!