PDA

View Full Version : wtf dude! Spurstalk beer recommendation fail

Sense
04-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Sierra Nevada Stout sucks...

it feels like I'm drinking moose piss or some shit...

very disappointed.. going back to my Shiner

balli
04-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Stout sucks in general. Actually no, it doesn't, but a good Porter>>>>>>>>>>>>>just about any Stout any day of the week. IMO.

Stout's the shit for black and tans, that's about the only way I'll drink it.

In general, I like Sierra's brews, but they're nothing compared to my local microbrews.

baseline bum
04-19-2009, 10:12 PM
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/283

Looks like lots of people disagree with you, including me. Sierra Nevada Stout rules.

baseline bum
04-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Stout sucks in general. Actually no, it doesn't, but a good Porter>>>>>>>>>>>>>just about any Stout any day of the week. IMO.

Stout's the shit for black and tans, that's about the only way I'll drink it.

In general, I like Sierra's brews, but they're nothing compared to my local microbrews.

:td

Rogue Chocolate Stout, Rogue Shakespeare Stout, Sierra Nevada Stout, and Young's Double Chocolate Stout all beat any Porter I've ever had.

Sense
04-19-2009, 10:16 PM
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/283

Looks like lots of people disagree with you, including me. Sierra Nevada Stout rules.

I could be comparing it to shiner....

too me this fell a little too bitter...

little less would've been great.

baseline bum
04-19-2009, 10:17 PM
I could be comparing it to shiner....

too me this fell a little too bitter...

little less would've been great.

That's what makes it great IMO. That's one of the main reasons to drink a stout.

Sense
04-19-2009, 10:19 PM
That's what makes it great IMO. That's one of the main reasons to drink a stout.

so is this your favorite beer?

baseline bum
04-19-2009, 10:19 PM
No, this is:

http://www.naganotrading.com/CMS/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/sripa_small.jpg

It's WAY hoppier than Sierra Nevada Stout though.

Sense
04-19-2009, 10:22 PM
dude.... I was thinking of getting that one yesterday....

but I ended with sierra...

by hoppier you must mean even more bitter?

ComfortablyNumb
04-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Sierra Nevada Stout is very good.

baseline bum
04-19-2009, 10:36 PM
dude.... I was thinking of getting that one yesterday....

but I ended with sierra...

by hoppier you must mean even more bitter?

Yeah, that one's far more bitter, but still very smooth IMO. I can't recommend it though unless you like the IPA style. scott and leemajors are way more knowledgeable about beer than I am though (scott owns FreeTail Brewing Company)... Notorious H.O.P. too, though I haven't seen him around lately. Perhaps they can chime in with better suggestions.

Jekka
04-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Sierra Nevada Stout is pretty good, but I like stouts in general. And porters. The blacker my beer the happier I am, usually. Oak-Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is some pretty tasty shit.

I had a stout at a brewery in Pittsburgh a couple months ago that was so smooth even the people with me who were drinking pale ales liked it.

Sense
04-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Sierra Nevada Stout is pretty good, but I like stouts in general. And porters. The blacker my beer the happier I am, usually. Oak-Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is some pretty tasty shit.

I had a stout at a brewery in Pittsburgh a couple months ago that was so smooth even the people with me who were drinking pale ales liked it.

wtf Manny hit the jackpot.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Bleh.

Get Maredsous 8, drink it, and squeegee clean your third eye.

Spurminator
04-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA is good.

SequSpur
04-19-2009, 11:38 PM
whatever, that beer tastes like fukin ass.

how can you possibly say you like that shit? that's like drinking a shit filled icecream shake.

baseline bum
04-19-2009, 11:45 PM
whatever, that beer tastes like fukin ass.

how can you possibly say you like that shit? that's like drinking a shit filled icecream shake.

Which one?

leemajors
04-20-2009, 08:10 AM
No, this is:

i was drinking that on draft last night :tu.

leemajors
04-20-2009, 08:11 AM

If you ever see Lion Stout, grab it:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/389/1115/?sort=high&start=0

SpursStalker
04-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Sierra Nevada Stout sucks...

it feels like I'm drinking moose piss or some shit...

very disappointed.. going back to my Shiner

I really dont like stout beers all that much ...

Sierra Nevada Ale ... is one great beer!!!

Although, you can never go wrong with Shiner

:D

TDMVPDPOY
04-20-2009, 08:43 AM
wtf

real men, drink soft drinks yo

Jekka
04-20-2009, 08:50 AM
If you ever see Lion Stout, grab it:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/389/1115/?sort=high&start=0

I saw those at Whole Foods a couple months ago - I'll have to pick some up, thanks.

The Three Floyd's Brewery is on my way back from Michigan, and the drive back coincides with the one day a year they sell the Dark Lord Imperial Stout. But, they instituted a lottery system this year because it's gotten so popular, and of course they sold out of tickets like a month ago. So my calendar is marked for next year. I've heard about that beer for years, dammit.

leemajors
04-20-2009, 09:14 AM
I saw those at Whole Foods a couple months ago - I'll have to pick some up, thanks.

The Three Floyd's Brewery is on my way back from Michigan, and the drive back coincides with the one day a year they sell the Dark Lord Imperial Stout. But, they instituted a lottery system this year because it's gotten so popular, and of course they sold out of tickets like a month ago. So my calendar is marked for next year. I've heard about that beer for years, dammit.

Those Sri Lankans can brew a mean stout. St. Arnold's Holiday Stout was also quite good.

JoshO501
04-20-2009, 10:29 AM
hazed and infused is really good.

jman3000
04-20-2009, 11:18 AM
No, this is:

:drool:

went to central market and picked this up a couple days ago. easily one of the best beers ive ever had. it leaves this awesome flavor on your tongue for about 5 seconds after it goes down. well worth the 18 bucks and change it costs for a 6 pack.

also picked up a blind monkey, and sierra nevada bigfoot.... those are more for just getting fucked up cuz they're both around 10%... the ruination is more for just enjoying it.

jman3000
04-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA is good.

it's good... but i prefer their normal IPA ... torpedo is like their super IPA and it tastes bad when it warms up even a little.

baseline bum
04-20-2009, 12:52 PM
:drool:

went to central market and picked this up a couple days ago. easily one of the best beers ive ever had. it leaves this awesome flavor on your tongue for about 5 seconds after it goes down. well worth the 18 bucks and change it costs for a 6 pack.

also picked up a blind monkey, and sierra nevada bigfoot.... those are more for just getting fucked up cuz they're both around 10%... the ruination is more for just enjoying it.

:tu

I'm a big fan of the Bigfoot ale too. Tastes almost like a cross between Arrogant Bastard Ale and Ruination IPA.

leemajors
04-20-2009, 01:09 PM
it's good... but i prefer their normal IPA ... torpedo is like their super IPA and it tastes bad when it warms up even a little.

Torpedo is their only full time production IPA. I like IPAs as they warm up though. The Pale Ale is the most consistent beer i have ever had - rarely varies, and you can get it in most bars :tu. Tho Stone IPA has been cropping up downtown in Austin in bottles for $3.50 - i have been gravitating to those places. My Stone IPA clone i have made 4 versions of has rounded into form quite nicely, i need to start a new batch. You guys should check out Racer 5 if it's available in SA.

Mixability
04-20-2009, 01:13 PM
I prefer one kind of beer.

Cold.

baseline bum
04-20-2009, 05:48 PM
I prefer one kind of beer.

Cold.

I think most beers tend to taste better as they warm a bit. Being ice cold dulls the flavor IMO.

Jekka
04-20-2009, 06:05 PM
I think most beers tend to taste better as they warm a bit. Being ice cold dulls the flavor IMO.

:tu The darker the beer is, the more I try to drink it around cellar temp (65 degrees-ish). Drinking beer too cold ruins the nose.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-20-2009, 08:11 PM
lol jekka is going to hops college

CuckingFunt
04-20-2009, 08:14 PM
I'd like beer a lot more if it didn't taste so much like beer.

baseline bum
04-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I'd like beer a lot more if it didn't taste so much like beer.

You should drink DosXX or Corona then.

CuckingFunt
04-20-2009, 08:28 PM
You should drink DosXX or Corona then.

I don't want it to taste like beer flavored water, either.

Jekka
04-20-2009, 09:26 PM
lol jekka is going to hops college

WTF is that? I have spent an unhealthy amount of time researching wine. But I love wine. And researching.

Whisky Dog
04-20-2009, 11:47 PM
It all depends on tastes. I don't like bitter, hoppy beer so I prefer lagers and lighter colored beers. I'll even go for the irish reds if they're brewed well, but I almost always prefer lagers.

MannyIsGod
04-21-2009, 07:48 AM
WTF is that? I have spent an unhealthy amount of time researching wine. But I love wine. And researching.

I think we went to Hops college that one time we went to Sea World. Seriously.

Anyway, I hate stouts. Meh @ that shit. I don't like just pale ales because I can drink stuff like New Castle and be perfectly at home but stouts are just too much.

Jekka
04-21-2009, 08:53 AM
I think we went to Hops college that one time we went to Sea World. Seriously.

Oh shit, you're right. Maybe I blocked that.

JoeChalupa
04-21-2009, 08:58 AM
I don't like my beer ice cold. Not crazy about dark beers and I don't know how to describe how a beer tastes like other beer connoisseurs do. $18 for a six-pack?

MannyIsGod
04-21-2009, 09:35 AM
I don't like my beer ice cold. Not crazy about dark beers and I don't know how to describe how a beer tastes like other beer connoisseurs do. $18 for a six-pack?

People pay more for the things they enjoy. Don't you pay more than bottom dollar for weed? Is there anything you're not a cheap-o for?

Mixability
04-21-2009, 09:37 AM
This thread is too high class for me.

And here I thought I was splurging when I ordered a Budweiser select......

:lol

JoeChalupa
04-21-2009, 09:58 AM
People pay more for the things they enjoy. Don't you pay more than bottom dollar for weed? Is there anything you're not a cheap-o for?

There are a few things but I'm the kind of guy who doesn't need to spend more to enjoy things. For me sitting around with friends drinking a beer is fine and I don't need more expensive beer to enjoy it any more because it is my friends who make it a good time. I had a great time at the Spurs game on Saturday sitting up in section 228 and while sitting in a suite would have been better it would not have made the game any better. And no, I won't pay high dollar for smoke. But yeah, I admit that if I do see something that I really like and want I spend baby!!!