PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs Hope Hedging Slows Mavs Guards

duncan228
04-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Spurs hope hedging slows Mavs guards (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_hope_hedging_slows_Mavs_guards.html)
Mike Monroe

The Spurs spent a bit of Sunday's film session and light workout pondering a basketball version of an age-old question: Was Mavericks point guard J.J. Barea the chicken, and center Erick Dampier the egg in Game 1, and which came first?

To find out, the Spurs know they must cross that road again in Game 2 today if they want to tie the first-round series against a Mavericks team whose coach, Rick Carlisle, insists it is so hungry it would be willing to swallow a dozen raw eggs, Rocky Balboa style.

Barea's forays down the lane off pick-and-roll plays in Game 1 forced Spurs power forward Tim Duncan to leave Dampier in the low post to prevent Barea from getting layups.

As a result, Dampier got three baskets on uncontested offensive rebounds, part of a 21-8 advantage in second-chance points for the Mavericks.

The Spurs actually had a 12-10 edge in offensive rebounds Saturday, but Dampier's easy putbacks were the biggest factor in the Mavericks' 13-point differential in second-chance points.

“The game, whether one wins or loses, is always made up of a variety of factors,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “It's not one thing, but from our perspective, we need to do a better job. We can't let them score that many points and expect to win. So what really were the factors that got away from us were the 21 points they got on the offensive boards. And a good portion of that was Barea getting into the middle, and that helped (Dampier) be as effective as he was at the rim.

“So those 21 points were not expected.”

Expect the Spurs to make some defensive adjustments designed to prevent Barea from creating havoc in the middle of their defense. Mostly, expect the Spurs to “hedge” on the Mavericks' pick-and-roll plays, stepping into the guards' driving lanes to disrupt their attempts to turn the corner and get into the lane.

“We were so focused on Dirk (Nowitzki) that we weren't hedging and stopping the ball,” Spurs forward Ime Udoka said. “When a guy like (Barea) steps up and has an opportunity, it's somewhat unexpected. But we know what he can do, and there will just be more of a focus on him now. (We'll do) what we do to most guards during the year.”

Said Duncan, clearly frustrated about having to cede easy rebounds to Dampier: “We're going to try to get our guards in there and try to help block out, but if I do step up, (the front of the rim) is where he goes.”

Drew Gooden, an athletic, 6-foot-10 forward who signed a free-agent contract with the Spurs on March 5 after he was released by the Kings, is willing to do his part to keep the Mavericks off the offensive glass if Popovich gives him the chance.

“Whenever my number is called I'm ready to play,” Gooden said. “Pop is a great coach and he's going to make the decision.”

Sean Cagney
04-19-2009, 10:14 PM
YEAH POP better make that decision now and more often to call his number. Bonner is utter trash.

Spursmania
04-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Pop don't be stubborn. Play more Gooden!

Solid D
04-19-2009, 10:58 PM
If you are going to bother to hedge, you'd better hedge hard and arrive on time...not late and soft (*cough* Matt Bonner).

Cant_Be_Faded
04-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Gooden is all talk in this situation. By definition, to keep your opponent off the offensive glass, that requires you to grab defensive rebounds. And Gooden's defensive rebounding has been mediocre at best since early-april.

On paper (lol) we already have the tools we need to rectify the problem that fucked us in game 1. Gooden is a career excellent rebounder.

But can he deliver when we need him to? Pop must obviously have doubts about this, or else he is truly a methamphetamine addict for playing Bonner in the way that he has been playing him over Gooden.

Dunc n Dave
04-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Gooden is averaging 4.4 rebs in 16.8 minutes of play (while scoring 9pts in that time too), while Bonner averages 4.6 rebounds in 26 minutes of play. Tell me, who's the better option on the boards?

Double Gooden's minutes to 32/game and he grabs around 9 boards a game. He can't get big rebounding numbers playing 16 minutes a game...

And don't tell me Kurt Thomas, because the guy can't play 32 minutes a game on a regular basis anymore. He'd either foul out or his body would break down.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Gooden needs to bang with Dallas in game 2, so guys like Brandon Bass and Dampier won't get put backs. In the second half he didn't do so well. His onus should be to rebound before looking to score. I don't know why Pop yanks his minutes.

But can he deliver when we need him to? Pop must obviously have doubts about this, or else he is truly a methamphetamine addict for playing Bonner in the way that he has been playing him over Gooden.
You hit the nail on the head.
Pop is a meth addict. Bonner is supposed to go up against Dirk..Bonner can't do shit, he's softer than Dirk. I wish Gooden would be used more so he can bounce Dirk out of the way and relieve Timmy, and Kurt's big man duties.

SenorSpur
04-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Gooden has to get a body on the opposition and keep himself between is man and the glass.

SenorSpur
04-19-2009, 11:56 PM
The Spurs spent a bit of Sunday's film session and light workout pondering a basketball version of an age-old question: Was Mavericks point guard J.J. Barea the chicken, and center Erick Dampier the egg in Game 1, and which came first?
I think that statement would read better if he went like this, "the Spurs spent a bit of Sunday's film session and light workout pondering a basketball version of an old age question

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-19-2009, 11:57 PM
I think that statement would read better if he went like this, "the Spurs spent a bit of Sunday's film session and light workout pondering a basketball version of an old age question

true...but it still boggles the mind that young Mr. Bonner got taken to school by the Ancient Erica Dampier.

wildbill2u
04-20-2009, 08:21 AM
I was up in Dallas for a few weeks and got a good look at Bass. No on should be surprised by his contribution

He is an fine athlete and is working his way into the Mavs rotation because of his development this year. I'd compare him to Landry of the Rockets. We have no young big like them.

ElNono
04-20-2009, 08:26 AM
I was up in Dallas for a few weeks and got a good look at Bass. No on should be surprised by his contribution

He is an fine athlete and is working his way into the Mavs rotation because of his development this year. I'd compare him to Landry of the Rockets. We have no young big like them.

I know I'm going to be criticized for saying this, but Pops was a prospect that could have been something like that if we were actually interested in developing a similar player. But I guess we have all our chips in the Ian basket.