PDA

View Full Version : george hill wouldn't help us AT ALL against the mavs.

antimvp
04-19-2009, 11:08 PM
WEySaI_yBRQ&feature=related

AnthonyM
04-19-2009, 11:10 PM
yeah we dont need someone thats athletic with a sick wingspan to help us out on the defensive end...

SouthTexasRancher
04-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah, you're right. Why bother with someone whose arm length covers the whole 90' length of the court, who can steal like a young Manu, can block shots at critical times and even score points. I say we clone Matt Bonner 11 times before tomorrow night and play all 12 Matt Bonner's the whole 48 minutes and even in O/T if that is required. We should win by, oh I dunno, by 100 points. Yeah, that's the ticket. With Bonner's super defensive skills I don't see any Mavs player scoring a point.

bdictjames
04-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Wow, I see why everyone is hating on Pop now. He really should play George. There's no reason not to.

timvp
04-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Alright, yeah, that hurt.

:depressed

jag
04-20-2009, 12:52 AM
George guarding jj would be huge for Tony. It'd allow him to stay fresh and offensive minded for the entire game.

nz_spur
04-20-2009, 12:53 AM
He would definitely help but I don't see Pop moving away from his "trusted veterans" scheme.

Shame! :depressed

Avitus1
04-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Hopefully..

AnthonyM
04-20-2009, 12:59 AM
rHsULjT3sr0
:depressed

peskypesky
04-20-2009, 01:00 AM
I can't see how blocks like that would help us.
-Pop

rayray2k8
04-20-2009, 01:06 AM
I've now come to the conclusion that Pop will add another PG to
the rotation, but it's Jacque Vaughn...
Fuck..

honestfool84
04-20-2009, 01:09 AM
pop WILL play hill tonight in game 2.

BOOK IT.

peskypesky
04-20-2009, 01:11 AM

for about 2 minutes of garbage time after we've been blown out.

HarlemHeat37
04-20-2009, 01:12 AM
those videos are just depressing..this is fucking annoying..

peskypesky
04-20-2009, 01:13 AM

What's so great about a couple of blocks?
-Pop

honestfool84
04-20-2009, 01:14 AM
for about 2 minutes of garbage time after we've been blown out.

nope.

there should be a vbookie on how long hill will play; i'll bet all my money on it.

honestfool84
04-20-2009, 01:14 AM
i don't know why, but honestly, im convinced he'll play enough tomorrow.

i may be wrong, obviously, but i hope im not.

AnthonyM
04-20-2009, 01:16 AM

what's even more depressing is watching the game watching pop play bonner and finley while our lead is going down the drain

peskypesky
04-20-2009, 01:17 AM
George Hill will not play in Game 2. Nor will Gooden. The only reason we lost game 1 was because I foolishly didn't give Matt Bonner enough minutes. He was just beginning to warm up when the game suddenly ended.
-Pop

jag
i don't know why, but honestly, im convinced he'll play enough tomorrow.

i may be wrong, obviously, but i hope im not.
What makes you think he'll see a single second on the court?

honestfool84
George Hill will not play in Game 2. Nor will Gooden. The only reason we lost game 1 was because I foolishly didn't give Matt Bonner enough minutes. He was just beginning to warm up when the game suddenly ended.
-Pop

your sarcasm has been noted..

i haven't seen you around much; are you always this sarcastic?

honestfool84
04-20-2009, 01:18 AM
What makes you think he'll see a single second on the court?

oh, i just do.

call it a gut feeling.

peskypesky
04-20-2009, 01:19 AM
your sarcasm has been noted..

i haven't seen you around much; are you always this sarcastic?

Just telling you how it is.

honestfool84
04-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Just telling you how it is.

oh, but you're not pop.

anyways, i think he'll (george hill) get some good, solid minutes.

peskypesky
04-20-2009, 01:22 AM
oh, but you're not pop.

anyways, i think he'll (george hill) get some good, solid minutes.

well, i sure hope you're pop!

ElNono
04-20-2009, 01:22 AM
oh, i just do.

call it a gut feeling.

“He's working at the one guard, working at the two-three,” Popovich said. “Playoffs is a time for people who feel very confident about what they're doing, and George isn't in that category yet. He needs more time.”

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122658

SenorSpur
04-20-2009, 01:24 AM
I'm starting to believe that this is now about Pop's ego. I know he hates being second-guessed by both the media and by amateurish, neophyte, wannabe coaches and GMs, like us. We surely don't have the perspective he has, but playing Hill in this series is an obvious no-brainer. I mean, at this point, he should do so out of sheer desparation.

honestfool84
04-20-2009, 01:27 AM
well, i sure hope you're pop!

nope, i'm not.

it's just a gut feeling.

“He's working at the one guard, working at the two-three,” Popovich said. “Playoffs is a time for people who feel very confident about what they're doing, and George isn't in that category yet. He needs more time.”

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122658

I'm starting to believe that this is now about Pop's ego. I know he hates being second-guessed by both the media and by amateurish, neophyte, wannabe coaches and GMs, like us. We surely don't have the perspective he has, but playing Hill in this series is an obvious no-brainer. I mean, at this point, he should do so out of sheer desparation.

i hope i am right, i really, really do.

maybe it's just a hope.
but it's obvious we need george hill.

tomtom
04-20-2009, 01:28 AM
How does he consider Hill not confident but Bonner enough to playing a huge portion of the game whilst doing absolutely nothing on either ends of the floor.

ElNono
04-20-2009, 01:38 AM
How does he consider Hill not confident but Bonner enough to playing a huge portion of the game whilst doing absolutely nothing on either ends of the floor.

I believe this is Bonner and Mason's playoff debut (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). So in that regard, they're really not that much different than Hill.

Kori Ellis
04-20-2009, 01:45 AM
I believe this is Bonner and Mason's playoff debut (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). So in that regard, they're really not that much different than Hill.

Mason averaged 8ppg in the post season last year, plus played a few games the year before.

Bonner has played in 11 playoff games prior to this year (but barely any minutes).

Pop had no intention of playing Hill in the post season, or he would have used him as the backup point in the second half of the season. The coaching staff obviously decided long ago that he wasn't ready this year. If he uses him now, it's just a desperation move.

ElNono
04-20-2009, 01:57 AM
Mason averaged 8ppg in the post season last year, plus played a few games the year before.

Bonner has played in 11 playoff games prior to this year (but barely any minutes).

Pop had no intention of playing Hill in the post season, or he would have used him as the backup point in the second half of the season. The coaching staff obviously decided long ago that he wasn't ready this year. If he uses him now, it's just a desperation move.

Thanks. I got it all wrong. :toast

texasmade006
04-20-2009, 02:03 AM
WOW..good thread. when i was at the game....i couldn't understand the match ups we had on defense....mason on barea? udoka on dirk? just bad match up problems. i agree with subing mason for hill for at least some minutes... i was so frustrated seeing mason and bonner playing huge minutes against quicker guys. mason can not stay with barea. once they go to that small line up...barea, terry, kidd....just match up with hill,bruce,parker respectively.

SpursFan0728
04-20-2009, 02:46 AM
Anyone remember this ?

WEySaI_yBRQ

spursfan1000
04-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Maybe you should try and show that to POP to get some sence into him?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-20-2009, 07:04 AM
I mentioned this two days ago, during the game thread, and a number of times since. Hill is a perfect cooler for Barea. if we don't see it in Game 2, Pop has truly lost his marbles.

wildbill2u
04-20-2009, 08:27 AM

I don't get all the adulation for Hill. Barea went by Hill with ease. Sure, Hill caught up at the basket and made a block--but how many times do you think that will happen in a game compared to the times that Barrea waltzes in for a score or dishes off?

hater
04-20-2009, 08:29 AM
I don't get all the adulation for Hill. Barea went by Hill with ease. Sure, Hill caught up at the basket and made a block--but how many times do you think that will happen in a game compared to the times that Barrea waltzes in for a score or dishes off?

as opposed to him waltzing around TP?

Rogue
04-20-2009, 08:38 AM
It's not very hard to imagine how bad Hill will suck if he gets put on court aganist kidd or anyother boy in blue, though I can't see anything on the youtube. :lol

polandprzem
04-20-2009, 08:42 AM

Oberto !

ulosturedge
04-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Georges biggest problem is that he is backing up our biggest contributor to the team. The second biggest problem is that he is trying to transition from SG to PG. The fact that he hasn't developed enough as a setup man or true point guard is more then likely the reason he isn't seeing any playingtime. Pop hasn't had enough time to develop this kid and they just weren't gonna hamper the system and put a bunch of regular season games in jeopardy to get George farther along in his development.

But I agree we ain't winning shit the way things are going anyways. Let the kid get some playoff experience.

Rogue
04-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Hill has been frozen since before the playoffs began, so I don't think it's the playoffs that makes Pop remove him from our rotation. There's definitely something wrong with the relation between those two guys.

TDMVPDPOY
04-20-2009, 09:47 AM
fkn give ghill 2mins end of each quarter when parker is out to cool down the barrea shit....

just like what he did to steve nash....

ctl+alt+f4 = shit down thats what ghill does...now execute it pop

manu the best
04-20-2009, 10:46 AM
George hill is a good back up pg ... its just that pop is to harsh to back up pg's ... just look at beno ... george can be great help to tp ... mason is not a pg ... we have seen him play point guard ... but struggle all the time ... pop should give gh a chance ... he is a tremendous defender ... and also a energy player ... :flag:

InK
04-20-2009, 11:16 AM

But aren't we kind of desperate? Isn't something like playing Bonner night in and night out a desperation move all by itself? Same with using Mason as backup pg? Wasn't everyone questioning the odd experiments Pop was making since the ASG forth?

We have been in a desperation mode since february, we just didn't realize for a long time since we lacked some critical info about the severity of Manu's injuries. Info that the coaching staff had, right?

Red Hawk #21
04-20-2009, 12:23 PM
If Hill doesn't play tonight Spurs Fans should be very upset...

Agloco
04-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Can someone PLEASE confiscate Pop's wine before games? And where's the goddamm breathalizer when you need it?

Trimble87
04-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I mean, at this point, he should do so out of sheer desparation.

That right there is where Pop would disagree with you. Do you think any person on the spurs staff/team thinks that 1 loss qualifies as "desperation mode?" Of curse they arent in a desperation mode right now, they lost 1 game to a good team. I 100% agree that Pop should give Hill a chance, but theres no way he drastically changes his lineup/oppinion after 1 loss.

ehz33satx
04-20-2009, 12:59 PM

Matt Bonner 0-1

tim_duncan_fan
04-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Play James Wh...wait a minute...

I mean play George Hill!

Seriously!

If the rook doesn't play tonight and we lose by more than five I am going to be pissed. No reason JJ Barea should be kicking our ass like he did the other day.

Just play George.

Dr. Gonzo
04-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Ok.

texasmade006
04-20-2009, 01:20 PM
this next game will be a defensive shut down... i don't want to see another 50%+ shooting game again...such bs. bonner is useless in this series. too small too weak

Agloco
04-20-2009, 01:23 PM

:depressed:depressed:depressed

TheYesMan
04-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Anyone remember this ?

WEySaI_yBRQ

Yes

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
That right there is where Pop would disagree with you. Do you think any person on the spurs staff/team thinks that 1 loss qualifies as "desperation mode?" Of curse they arent in a desperation mode right now, they lost 1 game to a good team. I 100% agree that Pop should give Hill a chance, but theres no way he drastically changes his lineup/oppinion after 1 loss.

He did it in 2006. After game 2, Rasho and Nazr combined for just over one minute of playing time.

burntorange
04-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Remember how it took him so long to make the necessary defensive adjustments against New Orleans?

I'm afraid Hill will ride the pine tonight---unless the Spurs are losing at halftime.

Come on, Pop, prove me wrong.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Remember how it took him so long to make the necessary defensive adjustments against New Orleans?

I'm afraid Hill will ride the pine tonight---unless the Spurs are losing at halftime.

Come on, Pop, prove me wrong.

To his credit, though, he did end up making the adjustment and the Spurs won 4 out of 5.

jdev82
04-20-2009, 01:46 PM
well hes another six fouls

jiggy_55
04-20-2009, 01:55 PM
If we all see how obvious it is to give the young Hill a few minutes tonight, then you just gotta believe Pop sees it too.. This is a simple solution to stopping Kidd or Barea, while giving Parker a rest on defense so he can attack Dallas..

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Guys, the lead on talk radio here in Dallas is that the idiot Spurs fans are bad mouthing Pop. They ask who the hell George Hill is in the same breath that they mention how good JJ Barea was and how tired Parker was at the end of the game.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

BWS-1994
04-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Guys, the lead on talk radio here in Dallas is that the idiot Spurs fans are bad mouthing Pop. They ask who the hell George Hill is in the same breath that they mention how good JJ Barea was and how tired Parker was at the end of the game.

Hope Pop introduces George Hill tonight...

SenorSpur
04-20-2009, 03:59 PM

Yeah, I heard the same. From Galloway to the Ticket

redskinfan
04-20-2009, 07:22 PM
If Hill plays we might lose! oh wait..

honestfool84
04-21-2009, 12:18 AM

BOOK IT.

i was wrong.

oh well.

'tis a shame, because he didn't play well enough in the minutes that he received to warrant more playing time.

:(

oh well.
the spurs won. that's all that matters, i suppose.

underdawg
04-21-2009, 12:28 AM
i was wrong.

oh well.

'tis a shame, because he didn't play well enough in the minutes that he received to warrant more playing time.

oh well.

really? - what did he do wrong in his limited play?

TDMVPDPOY
04-21-2009, 12:29 AM
this is fkn bs, at leasts let him log a minute or someshit to experience spurs championship basketball.....

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Hill played the last three minutes. :wtf

Yuixafun
04-21-2009, 12:39 AM
i was wrong.

oh well.

oh well.

^^ You seem more disappointed that G Hill didn't play

Than happy that the Spurs won.

----

Manufan909
04-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Hill played the last three minutes. :wtf

Last 5. Wish he'd filled the stats more than 4:58 pt and -1 +/-.

HarlemHeat37
04-21-2009, 12:57 AM
he got a block that they didn't count in the box score for some reason..he also made a nice pass to Gooden, but Drew missed..

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 01:19 AM
he got a block that they didn't count in the box score for some reason..he also made a nice pass to Gooden, but Drew missed..

That fucking block is EXACTLY why I'm of the opinion that he should get a couple of meaningful minutes. The Spurs may not need him now, but with everyone starting to look like they've finally got their game face on, I'd like Hill to have some confidence in case the Spurs screw around and find themselves facing the Lakers.

Blackjack
04-21-2009, 01:52 AM
Well, if Pop does eventually decide to play Hill in this series, it's pretty much a lock it won't be as Tony's backup.

I can't believe Pop missed an opportunity to experiment a little with the final 5 minutes of a rare blowout playoff game.

He actually wouldn't even let Hill run the point with the game in hand.

I'm sure Vaughn really needed and appreciated those garbage time minutes, though.:rolleyes

mountainballer
04-21-2009, 03:00 AM
I've overheard a rumor that Hill had shown up hung over to a practice or several practices?(from another board)
any reliable infos about this?

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 03:24 AM
I've overheard a rumor that Hill had shown up hung over to a practice or several practices?(from another board)

That's so crazy I might believe it.

Cry Havoc
04-21-2009, 03:36 AM

I doubt it. The kid doesn't seem to have any attitude problems, but who knows. Maybe he's got some personal stuff happening and doesn't know how to deal with it as well as he should.

I like Hill, but I trust Pop in knowing more about basketball than I will ever dream of knowing. So I'm going to go ahead and go with his decision that Hill isn't ready yet. But I do hope that Hill continues to pick up a few minutes here and there to get some PO experience.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Hill played passive offensively, but was very active chasing his man around, I thought.

IMO, Pop should use him as that 4th quarter tourniquet lockdown guy he did for a stretch towards the end of the season. If he messes up, pull him out. So simple. Yet...

ElNono
04-21-2009, 10:52 AM

Sounds like bullshit to me. At least, all I heard is praise from the coaching staff about Hill and his work ethic. I don't think him not playing has anything to do with Pop not liking him, to the contrary. I think it has more to do with Pop wanting to develop the guy one step at a time.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 03:37 PM
The only real explanation for Pop treating Hill the same way he treats Beno might be because Hill does things like come in hung over that remind him of Beno.

spurspokesman
04-21-2009, 03:48 PM

Your right about bonner but big rog played in the po s when arenas was out. Thays when I developed my opinion of him. He's got a big heart

superbigtime
04-21-2009, 03:51 PM
WOW..good thread. when i was at the game....i couldn't understand the match ups we had on defense....mason on barea? udoka on dirk? just bad match up problems. i agree with subing mason for hill for at least some minutes... i was so frustrated seeing mason and bonner playing huge minutes against quicker guys. mason can not stay with barea. once they go to that small line up...barea, terry, kidd....just match up with hill,bruce,parker respectively.

I'm sorry but this makes too much sense. Bonner, Mason and Udoka. Not exactly a defensive stalwart trio.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm sorry but this makes too much sense. Bonner, Mason and Udoka. Not exactly a defensive stalwart trio.

Add Gooden and Bowen to that group and you have the lineup that played really well against Kidd, Dirk, Barea, Howard and Bass.