PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Mavs - Game 2 Adjustments

timvp
04-20-2009, 04:42 AM
The series obviously didn't start off well for the Spurs. The Mavericks are now in the driver's seat and the Spurs have to win Game 2 if they want a realistic chance to advance to the second round.

After re-watching the game a couple times, I don't think the Spurs are in too bad of shape. They made errors but the errors are correctable. Plus, the Mavs also played very well in the final three quarters. If the Spurs can even this series up on Monday night, they can shift the pressure back to Dallas to hold serve.

Here are the ten adjustments I think are necessary for the Spurs to give themselves the best chance to win Game 2:

1) Play George Hill
It seriously makes too much sense not to play Hill. First of all, the Mavs are playing three point guards in their eight-man rotation. To match their three point guards, the Spurs need to play more than one player who is accustomed to defending against a ball handler. Hill is needed to defend Jason Kidd, Jason Terry or J.J. Barea.

Even if Pop doesn't want to play Hill at point guard, if Pop would play him next to Parker, Hill could definitely help out defensively. For example, if the Mavs are going to play Kidd and Barea at the same time, put Hill on the court and have him to defend Barea and allow Parker to rest on Kidd.

Secondly, the Spurs need rebounding help. With Manu Ginobili out of the equation, Hill is the best perimeter player on the team when it comes to rebounding in a crowd. Even if Hill just defends Barea and crashes the boards, he'd help out.

Third of all, Hill needs the playoff experience. If he fails, he fails. But not giving him a chance to get his feet wet is an even bigger failure.

Considering the matchups, Hill should at least get some of Ime Udoka's minutes. Taking minutes away from Michael Finley or even Roger Mason, Jr. is worth giving Hill a shot. There's is literally no downside to playing him at this point.

2) Stick with Matt Bonner
Yeah, I know Bonner played poorly in Game 1. He didn't do anything offensively. His defense was mediocre at best. He didn't rebound or do anything positive.

All that said, I think Pop needs to give Bonner another chance. But, like I suggested before the series, Bonner needs a few plays for him run early to shake off the nerves. He's the type of player that produces much better in all areas once he hits a few shots. Get his confidence going and I think he can still help.

If Bonner comes out and misses his shots, isn't rebounding and isn't doing much defensively, then I'd be all for sitting him at the end of the bench. At this point, though, Pop has invested too much playing time in Bonner to scrap it after one bad game in which he didn't get any open look to try to get his game going.

3) Go to Duncan Early
In Game 1, the Spurs were running plays for Parker coming out of the gates. I don't agree with that strategy. Parker's energy is needed most later in the game. Early on, I'd rather the Spurs establish Duncan. Doing so could provide a lot of positives.

It could get Erick Dampier in foul trouble. Dampier gives Duncan some trouble so getting him off the court should be a priority. If Duncan goes hard at him, Dampier is the type of foul-prone player who could pick up a few quick ones.

Going to Duncan early would also open up room for players like Bonner and Mason to get going early. Bonner especially tends to get a lot of his looks when the opposing big drops down to help out on Duncan. Getting the offensive chemistry going early could lead to a scoring explosion.

And most obviously, going to Duncan early can help Duncan himself get into a rhythm. The Mavs don't like doubling him so it's entirely possible for him to score over 30 points without having to force the issue.

4) Let Parker Rest
Even if Pop isn't comfortable with the backup point guard position, he has to let Parker get his customary rest. He just has to. The Spurs need Parker energetic in the fourth quarter to beat this Mavs team. If Parker is dragging up the court in the second half, the Spurs are doomed.

Speaking of Parker, Barea owned him, especially in the second half. Let's be honest about the situation. On defense, Barea was either drawing offensive fouls or Parker was worried about picking up an offensive foul and got discombobulated. Defensively, Barea was getting past Parker every time. Barea didn't always score but it did always break down the defense and set the team rotation into motion. The result was either an open lane for someone else to drive to the basket or a Mavs bigman camped in front of the rim waiting to tip in a miss. Barea's impact on Game 1 can't be seen simply by the stat sheet. Barea got Parker in Game 1. Bottomline.

That said, Parker has shown an ability to adjust. He got massively outplayed by Marbury in Game 1 in 2003, by Andre Miller in Game 1 in 2005 and Allen Iverson in 2007. Parker adjusted, refocused and came back and played much, much better in each series. If Pop gives him enough rest, I fully expect Parker to bounce back and play better from here on out.

5) More Gooden and Duncan
I wanted to see this duo heading into the series and I thought it worked really well in Game 1. It's quite a simple strategy: play both Gooden and Duncan and then attack whoever Dirk Nowitzki is defending. At worst, Nowitzki has to waste some energy on the defensive end. At best, Nowitzki gets in foul trouble -- like what happened in Game 1.

It's true that Gooden's defense is a bit of a liability at this point but Pop has to use this duo at least for the offensive positives it produces. On defense, I like the idea of sticking Gooden on Nowitzki and just telling Gooden to guard him one-on-one. Gooden wouldn't stop Nowitzki but he's athletic enough and can move his feet well enough to survive.

In Game 2, Gooden definitely needs more than the 18 minutes he got in Game 1.

6) Be Patient with Nowitzki
Speaking of Nowitzki, the Spurs need to use more common sense when defending him. Sending double-teams at him from the beginning of the game is an overreaction. He's a great player but he's not the reincarnation of Wilt Chamberlain with a three-point stroke.

If Nowitzki starts off slowly, then you hold off the double-teams that would open up space for the role players. If he's on fire, you send more help at him.

Perhaps Pop can steal a strategy from Phil Jackson and single-team Nowitzki for the first three quarters, force him to carry the load and then send double-teams at him in the fourth to suddenly switch the pressure to the role players. If Nowitzki scores 50 points through the first three quarters, then you pat him on the back and wish him luck against the Nuggets.

7) Keep Bowen on Terry
With both players coming off the bench, I really think Pop should always have Bowen on the court when Terry's on the court. Bowen can defend Terry very well. No one else on the team showed any ability to guard Terry whatsoever. It was a gargantuan drop off from Bowen to anyone else trying to defend Terry.

If Bowen locks in on Terry, I think there's a decent chance to keep the Mavs spark plug in check for much of the series. As good as everyone else is on the Mavs, Terry is the player most likely to beat the Spurs with a fourth quarter outburst.

Bowen's 24 minutes in Game 1 was a good beginning but he needs to play another ten minutes per game in this series.

8) Put Mason on Howard
Finley couldn't defend Howard in 2006. Finley really can't defend Howard in 2009. Howard is just too big, too quick and too athletic for Finley. When Howard sees Finley on him, he suddenly forgets that his ankle is supposed to be sore.

Mason isn't a great defender by any means but I think he's a much better match for Howard. He's faster and quicker than Finley and should be able to keep Howard in front of him. Mason will struggle keeping Howard off of the boards but his strength would at least give him somewhat of a shot.

As for Finley, he should defend either Kidd or Antoine Wright. Kidd doesn't look to do much scoring off the dribble anymore so Finley should be able to hang.

9) Space Barea
I know Barea kind of looks like Steve Nash when he starts dribbling around countless screens and almost goes in circles trying to find a crack of space, but the Spurs played him much too closely in Game 1. He's a good shooter but he's not a great shooter. Space him, send soft yet quick hedges and force him to shoot long jumpers. Barea shooting a jumper is a much better option than letting him get into the paint and cause havoc.

If the Spurs force him to drive left and shoot jumpers off the dribble, I'll live with that all day. Run him off of his set-shot three-pointer, keep him out of the paint and suddenly he won't play like a combination of Devin Harris and John Stockton.

10) Hit the Defensive Glass
I stressed the importance of rebounding and Game 1 was good evidence of what happens if the Spurs don't rebound. The Spurs have enough problems with these Mavs as it is . . . allowing them to win the rebounding battle is the final nail in the coffin. For those keeping track, Dallas has now out-rebounded San Antonio in eight straight playoff games.

Matt Bonner, Kurt Thomas, Drew Gooden and Ime Udoka were the non-rebounding culprits of Game 1. Those four players had two defensive rebounds in 70 minutes of action. Two (2). That is absolutely atrocious. Pathetically unacceptable. Outside of Duncan, those are supposed to be the four best rebounders in the rotation.

If the Spurs can control the defensive glass and make at least a few of the other adjustments, I'm confident that this series will be tied after Game 2.

Believe.

Doctor J
04-20-2009, 05:11 AM
Ditto. :toast

AussieFanKurt
04-20-2009, 05:21 AM
yeah i also agree with those points

thOOdee
04-20-2009, 05:21 AM
great adjustments. hopefully pop will get over himself and do the right thing.. especially agree with playing hill more and giving barea space. I remember seeing a game when hill guarded barea this year and produced those nagging charges as he did with tony. I feel he would make note of this and play up to par defense or atleast he won't do as bad as i saw in game 1 with tony taking him.

the only thing i don't agree with is playing bonner. he just isn't clutch. the guy is to robotic and is a liability i wouldn't risk. confidence can't be taught and its a little too late for him to try to gain it this far into the year.

boutons_deux
04-20-2009, 05:53 AM
"It seriously makes too much sense not to play Hill."

What? :)

So make "too much sense" by not playing Hill?

So if we play Hill, we avoid "too much sense"? :)

jiggy_55
04-20-2009, 06:03 AM
There should be a way you can send these to Pop :)

timvp
04-20-2009, 06:14 AM
He got massively outplayed by Marbury in Game 1 in 2003, by Andre Miller in Game 1 in 2005 and Allen Iverson in 2007.

In those three games, Parker averaged 12.7 points on 32% shooting. The three players he guarded averaged 29.3 points per game.

Comparatively speaking, Parker got off to a great star this year :hat

Slippy
04-20-2009, 07:02 AM
9) Space Barea
I know Barea kind of looks like Steve Nash when he starts dribbling around countless screens and almost goes in circles trying to find a crack of space, but the Spurs played him much too closely in Game 1. He's a good shooter but he's not a great shooter. Space him, send soft yet quick hedges and force him to shoot long jumpers. Barea shooting a jumper is a much better option than letting him get into the paint and cause havoc.

If the Spurs force him to drive left and shoot jumpers off the dribble, I'll live with that all day. Run him off of his set-shot three-pointer, keep him out of the paint and suddenly he won't play like a combination of Devin Harris and John Stockton.

Believe.

At first glance i was going to disagree with the space Barea mantra. Then i realised you mean back-off him and force him to shoot. The last thing i want to see is Barea having space once he dribble into or near the paint which is what i thought Tony did too much of in the hope of trying to stay in front of his man.

BeeGee
04-20-2009, 07:14 AM
Game 2 adjustment: Turn the 'L' into a 'W'

That will be all.

kace
04-20-2009, 07:25 AM
all the points are valid. interesting.

i want us to hurt them inside too. Go to Tim and Gooden. Tony will find a way to score a lot on the mavs if they aren't all focusing on stopping him.
Put Dampier in foul trouble and it's even better.

sonic21
04-20-2009, 07:31 AM
5) More Gooden and Duncan

do you think pop should start gooden instead of bonner?
there would be more gooden/duncan vs dirk.

1Parker1
04-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Did someone else hear the stat that this was the Mavs first road win in the playoffs in like 8 games the past two seasons? :pctoss

Mavs really just have all the confidence in the world against the Spurs after 2006. However, Mavs have shown that if you push them to the limit, they can be brought back down to Earth.

sonic21
04-20-2009, 07:50 AM
JJ Barea, Erick Dampier and Bass playing great in the same game was an anomaly.

believe

EricB
04-20-2009, 07:59 AM
I think everything there can and will be done except for George hill.

I see no reason NOT to give bonner a couple plays at the beginning of the game.

timaios
04-20-2009, 08:11 AM
1st 2009 playoffs game of 3 superstars who had to carry their team in the past weeks :

T. Parker 41 min 9/22 FG 4 reb 8 ast 5 to 24 pts (+/- -4)
D. Wade 40 min 8/21 FG 5 reb 5 ast 8 to 19 pts (+/- -18)
C. Paul 35 min 7/19 FG 5 reb 11 ast 4 to 21 pts (+/- -21)

Do you see something similar ?

And we can add :

P. Pierce 43 min 8/21 FG 7 reb 3 ast 4 to 23 pts (+/- +11)
R. Allen 39 min 1/12 FG 3 reb 1 ast 1 to 4 pts (+/- +2)
At least those two are positive in the +/- but they have lost to the Bulls !

Rogue
04-20-2009, 08:47 AM
smokey plays beyond great in this series and Fin is far from enough to guard him, it's really needed for spurs to re-start Bruce Bowen as lineup SF.

VaSpursFan
04-20-2009, 09:21 AM
i agree with all...this is money if Pop executes this.

Thomas82
04-20-2009, 09:31 AM
i agree with all...this is money if pop executes this.

+1

kace
04-20-2009, 09:34 AM
1st 2009 playoffs game of 3 superstars who had to carry their team in the past weeks :

T. Parker 41 min 9/22 FG 4 reb 8 ast 5 to 24 pts (+/- -4)
D. Wade 40 min 8/21 FG 5 reb 5 ast 8 to 19 pts (+/- -18)
C. Paul 35 min 7/19 FG 5 reb 11 ast 4 to 21 pts (+/- -21)

Do you see something similar ?

And we can add :

P. Pierce 43 min 8/21 FG 7 reb 3 ast 4 to 23 pts (+/- +11)
R. Allen 39 min 1/12 FG 3 reb 1 ast 1 to 4 pts (+/- +2)
At least those two are positive in the +/- but they have lost to the Bulls !

and D-Will 4-14 too.
add all the injuries of important players (manu, KG, neelson, mcgrady....) and some others hampered (Tim...), and you understand how much a 82 games RS at the current level of competition is an aberration.

ploto
04-20-2009, 09:52 AM
From the Dallas perspective:

I expect to see more of Kidd in the post against Parker, as they figured this out as the game went on. Guys like Cassell and Peyton also used to do it against TP successfully.

MI21
04-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Major props, timvp.

I usually like to add some stuff to these threads, but you have it all covered. I particularly like the subtle point about Hill's rebounding. The Mavericks don't have any incredible athletes in the frontline and Hill has an amazing knack for coming from behind and swiping the rebound. He will be able to this better against Dallas than a lot of teams.

His ability to challenge jumpshots would also help defending Terry. To be honest, I do not want to see anyone but Bowen or Hill guarding Terry. I really don't know what the fuck is going on in Pop's mind, but Hill has to be at the very least tried! No one is expecting major stats or for him to win the game for the Spurs but to not even give the guy a shot, a guy who matches up with Dallas quite well with thier small guard sets and non-offensive threats like Kidd and Wright, is just ridiculous.

by the way, thats only the potential defensive positives of George. If he would stop being a passive bitch and actually attack, he could be a nice offensive piece. What happened to all those putbacks off his own missed shots? Gotta attack to get them George!

Avitus1
04-20-2009, 09:58 AM
This is what I want to see happen. Thats all my friend and I talked about yesterday. Hopefully it pans out tonight and we get us a W.

fyatuk
04-20-2009, 10:00 AM
1) Play George Hill
It seriously makes too much sense not to play Hill. First of all, the Mavs are playing three point guards in their eight-man rotation. To match their three point guards, the Spurs need to play more than one player who is accustomed to defending against a ball handler. Hill is needed to defend Jason Kidd, Jason Terry or J.J. Barea.

While I agree with the concept of playing Hill, I don't think it's necessary to combat the 3 PG set of the Mavs.

Just change the offense to a bit of a 2 man game with Finley in the post and Mason on the side with him and every one cleared out. Finley would abuse any of those 3 in the post (this has worked before).

It'd be a bad defensive matchup, with Finley on kidd and, if Parker's in the game, he'd be on Barea and Mason on Terry, otherwise it's Mason on Barea and Bowen on Terry. Either that or run a zone for a few minutes.

MI21
04-20-2009, 10:02 AM

I expect to see more of Kidd in the post against Parker, as they figured this out as the game went on. Guys like Cassell and Peyton also used to do it against TP successfully.

From a Spurs fan perspective, I would welcome Kidd in the post against Parker. This isn't 2002 Jason Kidd.

It doesn't space the floor like the high post, top of key Iso's for Dirk/Howard of which you can't double at that position. It doesn't cause the same trouble that the 2 man Dirk/Terry game does and it won't collapse the defense as much as penetration from Barea. The defense can give Parker a little help (he doesn't need much) and still get back to the shooters.

Repeated use of Kidd in post = win for Spurs.

nkdlunch
04-20-2009, 10:02 AM
IMO Spurs need to have Nowitzki touch the ball more often. We can't have the whole Dallas team involved or its gonna be ugly.

The more Nowitzki handles and shoots, the better for the Spurs

SpuronyourFace
04-20-2009, 10:06 AM
I love how we are already written off by everyone.

Fabbs
04-20-2009, 10:30 AM
1) Play George Hill
It seriously makes too much sense not to play Hill.
4)
Speaking of Parker, Barea owned him, especially in the second half. Let's be honest about the situation. On defense, Barea was either drawing offensive fouls or Parker was worried about picking up an offensive foul and got discombobulated. Defensively, Barea was getting past Parker every time. Barea didn't always score but it did always break down the defense and set the team rotation into motion. The result was either an open lane for someone else to drive to the basket or a Mavs bigman camped in front of the rim waiting to tip in a miss. Barea's impact on Game 1 can't be seen simply by the stat sheet. Barea got Parker in Game 1. Bottomline.

Dick Bavetta & Crew having Bareas organ in their mouths with the flop awards certainly helped make Bareas game possible. Certainly a key call was Spurs down 83-80 with Tony doing a very nice drive to the paint, stop, short jumper. Fagrea flopped 100% yet was rewarded and the shot called off. I thought Tony was the driving force to put the Spurs up by 11 after one as he was owning Barea. Carlisle made an ad-just-ment to Pops doubling Dirk and fed the ball to Barea and Howard, and there is that three syllable word that Popped has so much trouble with.

So while I agree timvp that Parker could have played better, i do not agree that Barea "owned" him and that Parker just sucked. Lack of adjustments by Sir Cementhead certainly helped destroy the 11 point lead Tony helped build.

But concur Tony can and will play better. That i believe and thanks for the 2003 etc reminders.

TwinTowers
04-20-2009, 10:33 AM

There is a big different between guys like Payton/Cassell and Kidd. Payton used to post up smaller guys as a way to get easy baskets; whereas Kidd at this point in his career is not often looking to score (he has never been much of a scorer anyway). if he posts against Parker, the Spurs should not overreact by double-teaming him since it would just create open shots for the other Mavs.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 10:33 AM
If the Mavs are going to win with JKidd posting up, then good luck in the semifinals. If the Spurs are going to put Michael Finley in the post instead of letting Hill play defense, then good luck to the Mavs in the semifinals.

BigVee
04-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Of all the things I will take away from this season the most amazing is the coaching staff's insistance on forcing the PG position on Mason. How it can be so painfully obvious to most that he cannot play that position in the NBA, yet they continue to trot him out there to fumble the ball, turn it over, get himself trapped, not get to the rim on a pick and roll, not get to the foul line, run down the shot clock, etc., etc., is simply beyond comprehension. I respect the fact that Pop knows more about BB than all the detractors, but in this particular case I remain baffled and disappointed. Hill with all the inexperience is a better option....yet....

tp2021
04-20-2009, 11:07 AM

believe

Reminds me of how Andre Miller went off in Game 1 for the Nuggets. I'm not saying it will be a 5-game sweep for the Spurs; it just won't be a 4-game sweep for the Mavs. And it starts tonight.

DPG21920
04-20-2009, 11:11 AM
I hope I get to yell "Spurs are just too big" multiple times tonight.

tp2021
04-20-2009, 11:16 AM
There's an Eva joke there but I don't feel like doing it.

tp2021
04-20-2009, 11:16 AM
That's what she said.

I couldn't help myself.

rayone
04-20-2009, 11:20 AM
happy 4/20 josh hope u hit some befor the game

Agloco
04-20-2009, 11:45 AM

believe

Thank you. I'm surprised no one else pointed this out. They shot a combined 18-31 from the field. Add in Antoine Wright and you have 21-34 from the field. They made just as many field goals as Dirk, J Ho, J Kidd and Jet: AND outshot them.......

Odds of that happening again during this series? Very remote.

I do agree that we should see more Gooden and Duncan together. Bonner needs to be coming in off the bench for spot duty. He's clearly in over his head.

G-Nob
04-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Flop alert!!

JJ has already said he intends to make it a priority in this series. I hope Tony can adjust to that.

DPG21920
04-20-2009, 11:49 AM
I think some Spurs fans are undervaluing Bass/Barea. Bass is a very solid shooter from 18 feet and in. He can and will knock down that shot consistently if you leave him wide open. Barea has had a solid year and has provided a boost to the Mavs all year whether starting or coming off the bench.

Spurs need to make sure that they stick to the game plan on Dirk/Terry, but they must put more effort into defending the role players.

crc21209
04-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Great thoughts timvp :toast. Just come out and get a W tonight damn it. :flag:

phxspurfan
04-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Although I don't think the Hill thing will happen (Pop finds it impossible to trust rookies), I like the thoughts. I think we just need to play better or face being down 0-2. We didn't give the effort required in all facets to win game 1. Mavs wanted it more, and it was obvious we were just sulking and tired late.

Dex
04-20-2009, 11:58 AM
I have to wholeheartedly agree that playing Hill at this point is a win/win situation.

Were this a regular playoff run, I'd be fine with Pop's decision to keep the rookie out of the action if he feels he is not prepared. However, the regular plan got thrown out the window went Manu came up lame for the season, along with the expectations that came with it.

While I think this is mostly just Pop being stubborn, hopefully it can serve to light a fire under Hill, be it intentional or unintentional. Should the rookie actually find himself on the court, there's a chance that he takes advantage and has somewhat of a coming out party. Having been buried on the bench, all of a sudden the kid would have a chance to shine, and if he can, that would have to equal positive dividends for Spurs.

On the flipside, if Hill really does wilt under the playoff lights, then he probably won't have been the only one. Udoka, Gooden, even Thomas have shown inconsistency on one side of the court or the other this season, yet they still manage to see the floor. In other words, if we get booted out of the playoffs this season, it won't be due to Pop's decision to play George Hill.

At this point, the Spurs aren't expected to win anyways. You might as well go out with all of your guns slinging. Basketball is like a game of chess, and if you aren't using all of your pieces on the board, then you are asking for checkmate.

papashango
04-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I love how we are already written off by everyone.

Hopefully the good guys haven't written themselves off yet. If i were a Spur i'd be livid. Not at the media reception because that's what they do. Overreact. But they were embarassed on their own homecourt by an inferior team.

timvp
04-20-2009, 01:58 PM

You do realize this is 2009, right? When is the last time that the Spurs have been beaten by the strategy to post up Parker? Cassell didn't even hurt Parker much past 2002 and Peyton Manning plays in the NFL.

It might be a decent way to get Kidd involved and get a big bucket or two but no way Dallas can rely on posting up Kidd. That didn't work in the 2003 Finals and Kidd has slowed down and Parker is much stronger.

I Love Me Some Me
04-20-2009, 02:07 PM

You can probably defend Kidd with Mason, Bowen, or Finley. Let Parker guard Terry,.

GOSPURS733
04-20-2009, 02:10 PM
You do realize this is 2009, right? When is the last time that the Spurs have been beaten by the strategy to post up Parker? Cassell didn't even hurt Parker much past 2002 and Peyton Manning plays in the NFL.

It might be a decent way to get Kidd involved and get a big bucket or two but no way Dallas can rely on posting up Kidd. That didn't work in the 2003 Finals and Kidd has slowed down and Parker is much stronger.

i think he ment gary peyton lol

timvp
04-20-2009, 02:19 PM
do you think pop should start gooden instead of bonner?
there would be more gooden/duncan vs dirk.
I don't think Gooden starts anytime soon. He's currently the fourth big in the rotation. KT is the next in line to start with the way Pop is coaching.

I've wanted Gooden to start since he arrived in San Antonio but it now looks like it'd take a drastic situation for that to happen.

Agloco
04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
i think he ment gary peyton lol

Um, that would be

Gary Payton?

Hence timvp's joke........

mexicanjunior
04-20-2009, 02:27 PM
I've wanted Gooden to start since he arrived in San Antonio but it now looks like it'd take a drastic situation for that to happen.

Maybe going down 0-2, with Bonner throwing up a 2pt - 2 reb performance in 30 minutes of PT, will qualify...

Agloco
04-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Maybe going down 0-2, with Bonner throwing up a 2pt - 2 reb performance in 30 minutes of PT, will qualify...

Shitty performances on Bonner's part don't confront Pop.

It's almost like Bonner found Pop's old stash of porn in the Spurs workout facility........

ElNono
04-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Shitty performances on Bonner's part don't confront Pop.

It's almost like Bonner found Pop's old stash of porn in the Spurs workout facility........

More like gay porn...

mavs>spurs2
04-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Spot on on everything, especially about playing Hill. I stated this in countless threads before, during, and after game 1. Hill is the only Spur capable of staying with Barrea and Terry, although Bowen can guard Terry for spells. The only thing I disagree with is Matt Bonner, that guy is our best player. His +/- had to be horrendous, and he just isn't equipped to guard anyone on the Mavs. He's not really a center, and he can't guard Dirk, leaving him with no one really to cover.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I just have this feeling Pop isn't going to pull his head out of his ass and play Hill.

By the time we see Hill tonight, it'll be too little too late.

Great great points, timvp :tu

hater
04-20-2009, 03:09 PM
I can't beleive ppl are bitching about Barea flopping. We have Ginobili and Bowen in our team ppl.

Muser
04-20-2009, 03:10 PM
I can't beleive ppl are bitching about Barea flopping. We have Bowen in our team ppl.

Fixed.

Dr. Gonzo
04-20-2009, 03:12 PM
George Hill definitely needs more minutes.

timvp
04-20-2009, 03:13 PM
I see no reason NOT to give bonner a couple plays at the beginning of the game.

For the record, the first play of Game 1 was ran for Bonner. Mason opted to not pass the ball to Bonner, though.

But yeah the Spurs need to run plays for Bonner early until he gets at least one open shot. About 95% of his good games this year can be attributed to him getting off to a fast start.

EricB
04-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Bonner and rasho nesterovic are similar players in this vein. When rash was force fed early with that freethrow line jumper, and when he made em, he had fantastic games. When bonner has been fed early in games this year, he more often than not goes on to have a good game. Do it tonight, If he still sucks then u play gooden and oberto.

EricB
04-20-2009, 03:22 PM
For the record, the first play of Game 1 was ran for Bonner. Mason opted to not pass the ball to Bonner, though.

But yeah the Spurs need to run plays for Bonner early until he gets at least one open shot. About 95% of his good games this year can be attributed to him getting off to a fast start.

I didn't see the first half but IMO it's gotta be multiple plUs not just one. It's put up or shut up time.

Agloco
04-20-2009, 03:23 PM
When the Mavs go to Barea/Kidd, we should go to Parker/Hill.

That match up spells ownage.

LEONARD
04-20-2009, 03:30 PM
IMO Spurs need to have Nowitzki touch the ball more often. We can't have the whole Dallas team involved or its gonna be ugly.

The more Nowitzki handles and shoots, the better for the Spurs

There is probably some truth to that...

Dirk was off and the Mavs still won...kinda scary for the Spurs.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Bonner and rasho nesterovic are similar players in this vein. When rash was force fed early with that freethrow line jumper, and when he made em, he had fantastic games. When bonner has been fed early in games this year, he more often than not goes on to have a good game. Do it tonight, If he still sucks then u play gooden and oberto.

Rasho was on the Spurs for defense. Nothing else. The best way to get Rasho involved offensively was to take Duncan out of the game.

Findog
04-20-2009, 03:54 PM

believe

Yeah, and Timmy had a good game, Tony had a good game, you shot 11-14 from behind the arc, you limited Dirk and Jet combined to 31 points, and you STILL lost.

Both teams have reason to be concerned, the Spurs more so right now.

mavs>spurs2
04-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah, and Timmy had a good game, Tony had a good game, you shot 11-14 from behind the arc, you limited Dirk and Jet combined to 31 points, and you STILL lost.

+1. That first quarter and half of the 2nd was about as bad as were gonna play in this series. JET and Dirk won't be nonexistant again, either. Like I said before, it will take a MONSTER series out of both TP and TD to overcome the 4some of Kidd, JET, Dirk, and Jho. Not to mention we have the advantage off the bench as well. Once JJB gets hot, he tends to be really good for a multiple game stretch before coming back down.

Agloco
04-20-2009, 04:02 PM

Whats odd about that?

Limiting Dirk and Jet to 31 was a product of the gameplan and isn't an anomaly either.

While the Spurs shooting was an anomaly, they are one of the best teams in the league with the 3-ball so it's quite possible they will throw up another game like that since they've been cold of late.

So what you're left with is Barea, Bass and Damp playing like they belong in Springfield vs the Spurs (one of the best in the league) shooting 11-14 from three. Not exactly a convincing argument.

Methinks the Mavs know that they can't survive the series relying on those three to shoot 60% night in and night out.

LEONARD
04-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Whats odd about that?

Limiting Dirk and Jet to 31 was a product of the gameplan and isn't an anomaly either.

While the Spurs shooting was an anomaly, they are one of the best teams in the league with the 3-ball so it's quite possible they will throw up another game like that since they've been cold of late.

So what you're left with is Barea, Bass and Damp playing like they belong in Springfield vs the Spurs (one of the best in the league) shooting 11-14 from three. Not exactly a convincing argument.

Methinks the Mavs know that they can't survive the series relying on those three to shoot 60% night in and night out.

They don't need to...Dirk and Jet will do more regardless of scheme...

mavs>spurs2
04-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Whats odd about that?

So what you're left with is Barea, Bass and Damp playing like they belong in Springfield vs the Spurs shooting 11-14 from three. Not exactly a convincing argument.

:lol Limiting Dirk and JET to under 31 is very much so an anomaly. That's 15 points less than their average, and those are also the 2 Mavs that usually have big games against you guys. It probably won't happen again, but then again monster games out of Bass, Dampier, and JJB probably won't either. So the pendulum swings..

z0sa
04-20-2009, 04:07 PM
game 2 adjustment: pop pulls his head out of his ass. 95% of the problem is Pop's silly rotations and certain aspects of his gameplanning.

Agloco
04-20-2009, 04:11 PM
:lol Limiting Dirk and JET to under 31 is very much so an anomaly. That's 15 points less than their average, and those are also the 2 Mavs that usually have big games against you guys. It probably won't happen again, but then again monster games out of Bass, Dampier, and JJB probably won't either. So the pendulum swings..

Read my post again......

The Spurs game planned differently against them in Game 1. Hence the lower output. It's probable that fewer shots are going to be the norm for them.

My argument is that it's more likely that Jet and Dirk go for 30-ish again than the "three amigos" going for 40-ish while out shooting Jet and Dirk percentage wise.

mavs>spurs2
04-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Read my post again......

The Spurs game planned differently against them in Game 1. Hence the lower output. It's probable that fewer shots are going to be the norm for them.

My argument is that it's more likely that Jet and Dirk go for 30-ish again than the "three amigos" going for 40-ish while out shooting Jet and Dirk percentage wise.

True. Bass, Dampier, and JJB won't all 3 have career playoff games again all at once. Dirk and Terry can more than pick up their slack, though. It all comes down to if we can find some sort of answer to TD/TP.

Agloco
04-20-2009, 04:27 PM
True. Bass, Dampier, and JJB won't all 3 have career playoff games again all at once. Dirk and Terry can more than pick up their slack, though. It all comes down to if we can find some sort of answer to TD/TP.

I think J Ho's output compensated well for Jet and Dirk. Not all the way, but enough.

I'm worried about J Kidd. I'm kinda surprised that you guys aren't talking more about the 2 points he put up as a reason for us to be scared.

I am.

Agloco
04-20-2009, 04:29 PM
They don't need to...Dirk and Jet will do more regardless of scheme...

Probably. But it's less likely that Bass, Damp and Barea all go off like they did again, ever.

J Ho won't go for 25/per for the entire series either on a bad ankle.

Findog
04-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Whats odd about that?

Has it occurred to you that part of the reason those guys got so many open looks is that your defense was keying on Dirk and Jet? I think this is going to be a long series, but there are some flukes on both sides in G1 that I don't expect to continue.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 04:30 PM
game 2 adjustment: pop pulls his head out of his ass. 95% of the problem is Pop's silly rotations and certain aspects of his gameplanning.

95% of the Mavericks' playoff success against the Spurs in their history is due to Pop's rotations and gameplanning.

Agloco
04-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Has it occurred to you that part of the reason those guys got so many open looks is that your defense was keying on Dirk and Jet? I think this is going to be a long series, but there are some flukes on both sides in G5 that I don't expect to continue.

That would be THE reason actually.

But you still don't expect those guys to go for 40 something and shoot around 60%......

It's going to be interesting to see if Pop abandons this approach after getting snakebit in the first game.

stretch
04-20-2009, 04:32 PM

As if the Spurs should just expect to shoot 11-14 from three night in and night out?

DAF86
04-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Play Hill and Gooden.

Agloco
04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
As if the Spurs should just expect to shoot 11-14 from three night in and night out?

Not at all. But its much less likely that your three amigos continue to play well simultaneously than it is for the Spurs to shoot say 7-14 again at some point in this series.

I'd bet money the Spurs have another hot shooting night from three before I see another 60% aggregate shooting night out of Barea, Bass, Walker and Damp.

Findog
04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
That would be THE reason actually.

But you still don't expect those guys to go for 40 something and shoot around 60%......

It's going to be interesting to see if Pop abandons this approach after getting snakebit in the first game.

I think that you forgot to throw Josh Howard in the mix there. Finley can't cover him, and if you bring Udoka in, you lose Fin's scoring punch. Josh got 25 because he wasn't Option 1 and Option 2 for the Spurs. IMO, Josh continuing to make the Spurs pay is a bigger factor than JJB or Bass. Bass has that mid-range jumper and can throw down with a vengeance, I'm not worried about him continuing to play well. I'm just skeptical that JJB can continue to frustrate and harass Parker, as well as provide a scoring punch.

Marcus Bryant
04-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Play Hill and Gooden.

If Pop feels he's out of ideas, he will.

Agloco
04-20-2009, 04:45 PM
I think that you forgot to throw Josh Howard in the mix there. Finley can't cover him, and if you bring Udoka in, you lose Fin's scoring punch. Josh got 25 because he wasn't Option 1 and Option 2 for the Spurs. IMO, Josh continuing to make the Spurs pay is a bigger factor than JJB or Bass. Bass has that mid-range jumper and can throw down with a vengeance, I'm not worried about him continuing to play well. I'm just skeptical that JJB can continue to frustrate and harass Parker, as well as provide a scoring punch.

I didn't forget about him. He's actually going to be the key to the series for you guys if the Spurs continue to play Jet and Dirk the way they did in Game 1. In my mind, with everything else having been said, it's going to come down to J Kidd and J Ho.

It's quite possible that J Ho averages 27+ for the series. Scary.

Agloco
04-20-2009, 04:46 PM
If Pop feels he's out of ideas, he will.

:lol:lol:lol

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Has it occurred to you that part of the reason those guys got so many open looks is that your defense was keying on Dirk and Jet?
Weren't Barea and Bass usually in the game when Dirk and Jet were not? Seemed that way to me.

LEONARD
04-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I think J Ho's output compensated well for Jet and Dirk. Not all the way, but enough.

I'm worried about J Kidd. I'm kinda surprised that you guys aren't talking more about the 2 points he put up as a reason for us to be scared.

I am.

Add Kidd to the list...

Kidd, Dirk, and Jet were under
JHo, Bass, JJ, and Damp were over

Bottom line is the Spurs lead big early and lost pretty handily while only having 9 TO's and shooting the lights out on 3's...

Should be a great game tonight.

Findog
04-20-2009, 06:39 PM

I am.

Kidd doesn't score much. That's not his job. The Mavs can win without a big scoring night from him.

SpursDynasty
04-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Barea and Bass won't have fluke games tonight.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Barea and Bass won't have fluke games tonight.

Then we can expect Dirk, JHo, and Terry to have regular games.

And regular games for them against the Spurs means they'll be putting up 40, 40, and 35 respectively.

FREEDOM
that was a long ass post man talk about some real analyzing...did u say you watched the game a couple of times wow.. anyways you make some good points and think you more than likely have it right.

Findog
Weren't Barea and Bass usually in the game when Dirk and Jet were not? Seemed that way to me.

I think JJB's game was possibly a fluke, but not Bass. He kept us in it when Dirk was sitting in foul trouble. He's got that midrange jumper and he's an excellent finisher.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-20-2009, 06:55 PM
I think JJB's game was possibly a fluke, but not Bass. He kept us in it when Dirk was sitting in foul trouble. He's got that midrange jumper and he's an excellent finisher.

What's up with Gerald Green for you guys? I remember earlier in the year he brought some solid athleticism for the Mavs. Is he just not in the rotation? Did he falter later on in the season?

VaSpursFan
04-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Spot on on everything, especially about playing Hill. I stated this in countless threads before, during, and after game 1. Hill is the only Spur capable of staying with Barrea and Terry, although Bowen can guard Terry for spells. The only thing I disagree with is Matt Bonner, that guy is our best player. His +/- had to be horrendous, and he just isn't equipped to guard anyone on the Mavs. He's not really a center, and he can't guard Dirk, leaving him with no one really to cover.

i agree with this. bonner should not average more than more than 10 - 15 minutes per game going forward.

pimptaddy
04-20-2009, 07:21 PM
The spurs won't adjust. They are rolling with the same game plan from game 1. They are going to see if my mavs bench can beat them again.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 07:30 PM

Well, everybody scores on Bonner, so I'm not labeling anyone's performance a "fluke". My point is that it didn't have anything to do with the Spurs being distracted. From the post game quotes, it sounds like they just weren't ready to respect the guys that did well. I have a feeling that little loophole will be sewn up tonight.

Findog
04-20-2009, 07:33 PM
What's up with Gerald Green for you guys? I remember earlier in the year he brought some solid athleticism for the Mavs. Is he just not in the rotation? Did he falter later on in the season?

The coaching staff just doesn't trust him. He can score, everybody knows that. But apparently the coaches feel he doesn't do anything else well enough to see burn.

Findog
04-20-2009, 07:33 PM
The spurs won't adjust. They are rolling with the same game plan from game 1. They are going to see if my mavs bench can beat them again.

Which is pretty much what I would do.

Findog
04-20-2009, 07:40 PM
+1. That first quarter and half of the 2nd was about as bad as were gonna play in this series. JET and Dirk won't be nonexistant again, either. Like I said before, it will take a MONSTER series out of both TP and TD to overcome the 4some of Kidd, JET, Dirk, and Jho. Not to mention we have the advantage off the bench as well. Once JJB gets hot, he tends to be really good for a multiple game stretch before coming back down.

This is a 6-7 game series. I'm cautiously optimistic, but suppose Dirk and JET are bottled up and the Spurs cruise by 15? Then what? Then that HCA doesn't look so rock solid and it looks like the Spurs have found a way to keep our two best weapons in check.

What I'm looking for tonight, and heck, even more important than a W, since I think the Spurs will get the 35-20 FT advantage since the League wants a long series, is for Barea and Dampier to continue to have an impact. I don't think what Bass did in G1 was a fluke, but we don't get those kind of contributions night in and night out from JJB and Damp.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 07:41 PM
The coaching staff just doesn't trust him. He can score, everybody knows that. But apparently the coaches feel he doesn't do anything else well enough to see burn.

There are so many other young guys with a more complete game that he's just not going to be able to crack the rotation right now.

Findog
04-20-2009, 07:42 PM
There are so many other young guys with a more complete game that he's just not going to be able to crack the rotation right now.

His court awareness is poor and he only really exerts himself on the offensive end. I hate guys like him, that are so physically gifted and yet play like they're autistic.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 07:45 PM
His court awareness is poor and he only really exerts himself on the offensive end. I hate guys like him, that are so physically gifted and yet play like they're autistic.

At least an autistic player would be able to focus.

pimptaddy
04-20-2009, 07:52 PM
This is a 6-7 game series. I'm cautiously optimistic, but suppose Dirk and JET are bottled up and the Spurs cruise by 15? Then what? Then that HCA doesn't look so rock solid and it looks like the Spurs have found a way to keep our two best weapons in check.

What I'm looking for tonight, and heck, even more important than a W, since I think the Spurs will get the 35-20 FT advantage since the League wants a long series, is for Barea and Dampier to continue to have an impact. I don't think what Bass did in G1 was a fluke, but we don't get those kind of contributions night in and night out from JJB and Damp.

The little midget from Puerto rico will take it to the rack all night. He is too fast for the spurs. Viva la Mavs.