PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks Know There's Three More To Go

duncan228
04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Dallas Mavericks know there's three more to go (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042009dnspomavslede.3b70ed7.html)
By Eddie Sefco / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – As great moments in franchise history go, Game 1 was a nice one.

The Mavericks stood up to San Antonio and grabbed a 1-0 lead in the best-of-7 first-round series, looking dominant in the second half and doing a pretty decent impersonation of their blue-collar, hard-nosed opponent.

And then, the Mavericks did nothing.

No dancing off the court as if they'd won a title, or even a series. No celebration in the locker room. Just a subdued, we've-done-nothing-so-far shrug.

"You see our approach," Antoine Wright said Sunday. "We don't feel like we're a team that anybody is counting on to win these games. We're the only ones who believe we can do it. There was no big celebration or jumping around. It's all business."

Added Erick Dampier: "We haven't done anything. We weren't out there ranting or raving about it. There wasn't anybody celebrating, because we didn't want that."

This may represent another step in the recovery of a team that had lost nine straight playoff road games dating to 2006 and hasn't won a series since the conference finals that year.

The Mavericks played the second half Saturday like they knew they were the superior team and were supposed to cart a W off the AT&T Center court.

There was no tentativeness.

"We knew we could come out here and get the win," J.J. Barea said. "I'm not going to lie – it was a good feeling. But we still know we've got a long way to go. We've got to beat them three more times. It's not an easy task. We've got to keep our heads and not get too excited."

The Mavericks know the harder part starts tonight in Game 2. The Spurs will throw the kitchen sink into their game plan to try to put a shackle on the Mavericks' diverse attack, which sliced up the home team in the opener.

Barea was driving without fear to the basket. Wright was making jump shots. Dampier earned a virtual draw with Tim Duncan, emotionally if not statistically.

The Mavericks know Spurs coach Gregg Popovich will do some things differently. It won't be the same old Spurs.

"They've got four banners in here?" said Josh Howard, glancing to the rafters. "They're a championship-caliber team. They know what they're doing. You can't expect them to roll over and lay down."

The Spurs did not play poorly in the opener. The Mavericks won in spite of San Antonio hitting 11 of 14 3-point attempts. They won in spite of Michael Finley's 19 points, which were nine above his season average.

And they won in spite of large statistical nights by Duncan and Tony Parker.

Can the Spurs rely on all those things happening again?

Of course, the Spurs also can legitimately ask, "Can the Mavericks expect to get such large production from Barea, Brandon Bass and Dampier again?

"They're going to do something different," Barea said. "But that means something else will be open for us. We've just got to see what they do and take advantage."

Win or lose, the Mavs have learned not to let their emotions get the best of them. In the opener, they did a splendid job of not allowing bad breaks to sour their disposition. Dirk Nowitzki got in foul trouble in the first half, but it was Duncan who spent most of the second half griping about calls.

An even keel usually serves playoff teams better than wild mood swings.

"I've been in this a lot," Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said. "Pop's a master. He's been through this a zillion times. You don't get too high or too low. They won't get too low. We won't get too high. We are a humble team. We know these games are going to be difficult. But we're hungry, and we're going to keep battling."

BUMP
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Dirk Nowitzki got in foul trouble in the first half, but it was Duncan who spent most of the second half griping about calls.

disagree here

i actually thought Timmy behaved himself it was Parker who was whining

ElNono
04-20-2009, 12:44 PM
"They've got four banners in here?" said Josh Howard, glancing to the rafters. "They're a championship-caliber team. They know what they're doing. You can't expect them to roll over and lay down."

Ya'll can't control what the ball do!!!!

Agloco
04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Too bad their fans don't........

Spursmania
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I'll be at the game tonight. It's do or die for the Spurs. I just wish they could win in a blow out, so I can stop having heart attacks out there and losing my voice. I have to admit I'm nervous for them, and Tony and Timmy had a great game 1. They have to have another great game and the D has got to tighten up.

hater
04-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Too bad their fans don't........

:lol

papashango
04-20-2009, 01:00 PM
That's great to hear. Because last time they went to the finals I think they thought the series was done in 2 games and let the Heat win 4 straight to capture their 1st championship.

101A
04-20-2009, 01:01 PM
As great moments in franchise history go, Game 1 was a nice one.

:lmao

BUMP
04-20-2009, 01:06 PM
:cryi want to fire coach after one game:cry i know he won 4 championships but its not enough:cry:cry

Agloco
04-20-2009, 01:16 PM
disagree here

i actually thought Dirk behaved himself it was Barea who was flopping

I Love Me Some Me
04-20-2009, 01:59 PM
The Mavericks seem to pla and carry themselves with so much confidence against the Spurs.

SA has to do something to change that. It doesn't sseem like there is a doubt in the mind of any Maverick that they can win this series...easily.

DPG21920
04-20-2009, 02:03 PM
http://www.usatf.org/groups/Youth/trivia/images/tim%20duncan.jpghttp://people.inf.ethz.ch/hvogt/tea/teabag_used.jpghttp://sports.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3117.jpg

41times
04-20-2009, 02:36 PM
The Mavs know that they only won 1 game and not the series. They know the Spurs will punch back. They know this series is tight no matter who plays. They know this thing is a Looooooong way from being over.

And the last thing they want to do is piss all the Spurs off by starting some premature celebration.

The old saying "act like you been there before" applies here.

And regarding the Mavs confidence, yes, they are more confident agaisnt the Spurs than any other team in the playoffs. And that is what makes this matchup such a great rivalry.