PDA

View Full Version : Debunking the Myths of Columbine- 10 years later

ploto
04-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I remember this day like it was yesterday and can hardly believe it was ten years ago. I will not post the entire article, but it has some key points about the rush to judgment about what happened there and the nature of the kids involved in it.

What do you remember about April 20, 1999?

If you recall that two unpopular teenage boys from the Trench Coat Mafia sought revenge against the jocks by shooting up Columbine High School, you're wrong.

But you're not alone.

Cullen concluded that the killers weren't part of the Trench Coat Mafia, that they weren't bullied by other students and that they didn't target popular jocks, African-Americans or any other group. A school shooting wasn't their initial intent, he said. They wanted to bomb their school in an attack they hoped would make them more infamous than Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh.

The Trench Coat Mafia was a nonviolent school group of computer gamers established a few years before the shooting, Cullen said. They feuded with the jocks and wore black trench coats. Harris and Klebold were not members, Cullen concluded after talking to students at the school and analyzing police documents. Neither boy appeared in the Trench Coat Mafia's yearbook group photo in 1998.

The two killers were far from normal teens. Harris was a psychopath and Klebold battled depression, according to psychologists cited in the book. Even so, they also weren't the extreme social outcasts and loners depicted in the early days of media coverage.

Records released later by the Jefferson County Sheriff's office showed that Harris and Klebold had their own circle of friends. Klebold took a date to the prom, riding with a dozen friends in a limo, just days before the shooting.

Cullen, the original Columbine debunker, theorizes that the public was afraid to believe Harris and Klebold weren't total outcasts. By identifying them as goth loners who were "weird" or "oddballs," it was easier to set them apart from other students and for schools to distinguish future potential shooters, he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/20/columbine.myths/index.html

Mixability
04-20-2009, 01:08 PM
I remember this day like it was yesterday and can hardly believe it was ten years ago. I will not post the entire article, but it has some key points about the rush to judgment about what happened there and the nature of the kids involved in it.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/20/columbine.myths/index.html

The trenchcoat mafia had a group photo in the yearbook?

mrsmaalox
04-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Cullen is on Talk of the Nation on NPR right now.

ashbeeigh
04-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Interesting.

Columbine was such a tragic event. It really affect my views on people and school (it was eighth grade). I thought it was all cool to be dark and creepy (almost goth) then. I stepped away from that after these events. I almost lived in an internet world then because I was living in Wisconsin and missed Texas like nobody's business.

There are just some events in life that you'll never forget where you were. This, 9/11, the Virginia Tech shooting, pop John Paul II dying, the Spurs winning their first championship...

This was before instant news access (or instant attention to instant news access) so I didn't hear about this until I sat down and watched Total Request Live on MTV. I sat and watch in awe and in tears as Carson Daly told all the teeny boppers of the late 1990s what was happening. I cried because I have family in Littleton and didn't know if they were alright (a cousin who was in 7th grade at the time and another in 5th...so not there..but still).

It's just something you'll never ever ever forget and my thoughts and prayers are with all those that will forever be affected by the events of 4/20/99.

PakiDan
04-20-2009, 01:47 PM
I did a presentation at Columbine a few years back in the gym. It was so surreal to walk those halls. I can't believe it's been ten years.

Jekka
04-20-2009, 02:25 PM
My high school was goth central in Houston (High School for the Performing and Visual Arts), and I remember that when I left school that afternoon it was swarming with local news media - wanting to know which of the kids in trench coats were going to go berserk next. Amazing thing, though - you give kids a creative outlet and positive attention and they don't feel a need to take their shit out on other people. Good thing that the first budget cut that schools make is the arts.

But, off the soapbox, it doesn't feel like this was 10 years ago already.

timvp
04-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Score a win for emos with those revelations.