PDA

View Full Version : John DeLorean dies at 80

Spurgal
03-20-2005, 08:54 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050320/050320_delorean_obit_vlrg_11a.vlarge.jpg

DeLorean died Saturday at Overlook Hospital in Summit, N.J., of complications from a recent stroke, said Paul Connell, an owner of A.J. Desmond & Sons Funeral Directors in Royal Oak, Mich., which was handling arrangements.
DeLorean, whose namesake car was turned into a time machine in the “Back to the Future” movies, was among just a handful of U.S. entrepreneurs who dared start a car company in the last 75 years.

Duff McCartney
03-20-2005, 09:23 PM
I always wanted one of those cars.

Spurs košarka kultura
03-20-2005, 09:42 PM
I guess all that cocaine finally caught up with him.

TheWriter
03-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Back to the Future ruled!

tsb2000
03-20-2005, 11:05 PM
I took my very first class in college from the man who gave Delorean his polygraph test in his court case.

NameDropper
03-20-2005, 11:34 PM
I took my very first class in college from the man who gave Delorean his polygraph test in his court case.

Liar.

Spurgal
03-20-2005, 11:35 PM
SWEET!

http://www.nwywre.com/cars/delorean.jpg

2pac
03-20-2005, 11:41 PM

So basically you took a college class from a criminal?

The Delorean polygraph test is famous for showing that a biased polygraph tester can skew the results to say what they want it to say.

exstatic
03-20-2005, 11:54 PM
DeLorean is a classic case of corporate America being afraid of innovation and new ideas. He was a maverick, much like Tucker, and not that great in business, but an automotive genius, nonetheless. What he needed was a patron, someone to run the business, and just tell him, "you design and build the cars".

2pac
03-21-2005, 12:34 AM
DeLorean is a classic case of corporate America being afraid of innovation and new ideas. He was a maverick, much like Tucker, and not that great in business, but an automotive genius, nonetheless. What he needed was a patron, someone to run the business, and just tell him, "you design and build the cars".

His car is eyecatching (largely still remembered so fondly because of Michael J Fox) but it wasnt a great car. Lots of problems with it, the least of which is that stainless steel rusts easily. Add salt and snow and lots of Deloreans died a horrible death up north. Add to that an underpowered engine and a poor transmission and you have a bad car.

Spurs košarka kultura
03-21-2005, 07:31 AM
^Plus from a design perspective, lets face it, the front end wasn't his best effort.

Useruser666
03-21-2005, 08:41 AM
His car is eyecatching (largely still remembered so fondly because of Michael J Fox) but it wasnt a great car. Lots of problems with it, the least of which is that stainless steel rusts easily. Add salt and snow and lots of Deloreans died a horrible death up north. Add to that an underpowered engine and a poor transmission and you have a bad car.

Uhhhhh, stainless steel does NOT rust easily. The parts that aren't stainless do though.

exstatic
03-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Add salt and snow and lots of Deloreans died a horrible death up north.

:lmao Sorry, I had to laugh at that one. Can you name me a type of car that doesn't die a horrible, rusty death up north? It's so prevalent that they even invent local terminologies for it, like Michigan Cancer.

Useruser666
03-21-2005, 10:43 AM
:lmao Sorry, I had to laugh at that one. Can you name me a type of car that doesn't die a horrible, rusty death up north? It's so prevalent that they even invent local terminologies for it, like Michigan Cancer.

But still, stainless steel doesn't rust that easily.

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2005, 03:33 PM

word...I drove one for a week or so once...the thing was a turd. The volve engine he used was a wimpy piece of shit, the gearbox would try to lock up running it through the gears hard...bad understeer roll in hard corners...it looked great but drove like shit. I couldn't wait to get out of it...

Shelly
03-21-2005, 03:36 PM
The dentist we used to go to when I lived in Ohio had one. I wonder how well that thing did in the snow.

ShoogarBear
03-21-2005, 08:02 PM
The dentist we used to go to when I lived in Ohio had one. I wonder how well that thing did in the snow.

Well, we know that John himself did pretty well in the snow, for a while at least.

TheMrPeanut
03-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Well, we know that John himself did pretty well in the snow, for a while at least.

RACK 'IM! John sure was nuts about snow.

tsb2000
03-22-2005, 02:13 PM
So basically you took a college class from a criminal?

The Delorean polygraph test is famous for showing that a biased polygraph tester can skew the results to say what they want it to say.

Uh, no. I took the class not from Delorean, but from the person who gave him his polygraph.

check out this court transcript. It mentions Delorean on pg 9. :)

link (http://truth.boisestate.edu/polygraph/WALKER-Transcript2.pdf)

Forgot to mention, Patty Hearst's case, too.

link (http://www.karisable.com/mac9.htm)