PDA

View Full Version : Robinson's angry time??

holcs50
04-20-2009, 04:15 PM
alright as many robinson started my love for the spurs and now it will be everlasting but can anyone remember I think it was back in 94-95 or 95-96, robby i think got called for a foul or somethin against the rockets and just went crazy to the ref. Like i never had seen him that mad and still past that year never saw him get that mad. Does anyone have a video of that or know what game im thinking of? I taped it back then but have no idea where it is now and just thought it was pretty awesome/weird , ha, to see him go off like that.

samikeyp
04-20-2009, 04:26 PM
I remember what you are talking about. I don't know if there is video but I remember Robinson going nuts against the Rockets. He had a similar outburst against the Blazers years later, he got tossed and Duncan took over the game and SA won.

holcs50
04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Yea haha for sure. Ill just always remember that game because he was up in the refs face-and he pumped his fists downward-like he was going to punch the floor. I think it was awesome, ha, he's was livid and honestly I dont think anyone in the league wanted to see an angry robinson, guy could've wrecked all if he wanted lol.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
It was a regular season game in the Rockets' first championship year. It was an afternoon tip off because I saw it at a sports bar in Houston. The Spurs lost the game, but I was so goddamn proud of five-oh for standing up for himself - finally.

That and the Blazers game sami mentioned above are the only times I remember Rob going off like that.

holcs50
04-20-2009, 04:39 PM
It was a regular season game in the Rockets' first championship year. It was an afternoon tip off because I saw it at a sports bar in Houston. The Spurs lost the game, but I was so goddamn proud of five-oh for standing up for himself - finally.

That and the Blazers game sami mentioned above are the only times I remember Rob going off like that.

Yea haha, exactly how i fealt. My heart started pounding a bit but I was just so pumped that he did that. I was like dude the nicest dude in the world just went off. haha. Yea, sometimes i wish he did that a bit more but whatever he's by far the best role model and one of the best athletes ever.

Marcus Bryant
04-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I recall him threatening fisticuffs with Joe Smith in the '99 playoffs.

Spursmania
04-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I remember what you are talking about. I don't know if there is video but I remember Robinson going nuts against the Rockets. He had a similar outburst against the Blazers years later, he got tossed and Duncan took over the game and SA won.

I remember that one. The team was down and they came back and won-it was great!

holcs50
04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
I remember that one. The team was down and they came back and won-it was great!

damn i dont remember this blazers game you guys are talking about-missed it. But to see a young robby go off was pretty amazing-i was like dude you don't want to be that ref- I felt he could've picked him up and thrown him out the alamodome and into the riverwalk. actually he might of been able to do that, lol.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 04:56 PM

Yeah, but a) realize that was five years later, and post Mario-Elie and AJ's influence, and b) think about how rough Joe Smith got with him before Rob said anything.

jag
04-20-2009, 04:57 PM
robinson flipped out and got in the refs face after a bs offensive foul call. he accidentally hit the ref while he was flailing his arms and got ejected. duncan responded by scoring something like 16 straight pts and the spurs ended up winning.

FromWayDowntown
04-20-2009, 04:57 PM
I remember him launching on Steve Javie after the Utah series ended in 1996. It might have been the real beginning of some of that.

jag
04-20-2009, 05:02 PM
And i remember him slamming the ball down really hard in front of the ref before he accidentally hit his arm. The blazers fans were all cheering, but i think most of them were surprised...especially when he was leaving the court...he kicked something over behind the Spurs bench haha.

tmtcsc
04-20-2009, 05:03 PM

If I recall someone posted a video of it on here recently. Yes, David got thrown out and Timmy even commented that they rallied for David's sake and were happy to win. I think he was talking to Cheryl Miller after the game. I think it was against the Blazers.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-20-2009, 05:05 PM

Indeed, an outright donnybrook it nearly was.

jag
04-20-2009, 05:09 PM

Garnett got in David's face after this thing with smith...Rob threw him aside like a child and Garnett didn't know what to do..so he slapped Duncan in the back of the head.

holcs50
04-20-2009, 05:10 PM
If I recall someone posted a video of it on here recently. Yes, David got thrown out and Timmy even commented that they rallied for David's sake and were happy to win. I think he was talking to Cheryl Miller after the game. I think it was against the Blazers.

Ha-dude i wish i could see this blazers outburst. Still the rockets one was amazing because he was just ready to throw down but i think he knew he was so much bigger than any ref or any other player , lol. Yea if anyone has videos of these games PLEASE post them, i would bow down to you for sure. Its just so awesome because he was/is the greatest guy and it kind of let me know you know even he's human, and I liked it. I was like fuck yea he's going off like Ive always done in front of the tv, haha.

ps I do like garnetts passion but to any viewers and fans of NBA- they all know he's a cheap mans Robinson. Not as good as him on either side of the floor, not as tall, and just a little too whiny. Roby>>>>>>garnett. Roby>td barely but totally different players.

Libri
04-20-2009, 05:17 PM
How many times did DRob get ejected from a game? I can only recall those two times against Houston and Portland.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't think he got ejected in the Houston game. He got ejected for nearly getting into it with Harvey Grant way early in his career.

I Love Me Some Me
04-20-2009, 06:24 PM
alright as many robinson started my love for the spurs and now it will be everlasting but can anyone remember I think it was back in 94-95 or 95-96, robby i think got called for a foul or somethin against the rockets and just went crazy to the ref. Like i never had seen him that mad and still past that year never saw him get that mad. Does anyone have a video of that or know what game im thinking of? I taped it back then but have no idea where it is now and just thought it was pretty awesome/weird , ha, to see him go off like that.

Remember this vividly. David had to be physically restrained from that ref. What happened was Robinson got called for a foul then got a tech for saying "oh man" or "dangit" something very David Robinson-like which was not even close to warranting a tech. Dave was pissed that he got the tech for his rather innocent objection to the call. In the postgame interviews he said something to the effect of "These guys have players cursing at them all game long and treating them like dogs. It just didn't seem right for me to get a technical for what I said."

CubanMustGo
04-20-2009, 06:27 PM
David Robinson was only ejected once in his entire career. He fouled out 29 times and was whistled for a total of 26 technical fouls (and one flagrant).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=715

Crookshanks
04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
And I think Timmy's only been ejected twice - once in Minnesota when both him and Garnett got tossed. But the league reviewed it and rescinded the technicals. And the other time was the Joey Crawford fiasco - and we all know how that one turned out! Of course - I think the Spurs have been paying for that ever since!

lefty
04-20-2009, 06:55 PM
David Robinson when he's pissed :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/David_Robinson_%28Team_USA%29.jpg

holcs50
04-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Remember this vividly. David had to be physically restrained from that ref. What happened was Robinson got called for a foul then got a tech for saying "oh man" or "dangit" something very David Robinson-like which was not even close to warranting a tech. Dave was pissed that he got the tech for his rather innocent objection to the call. In the postgame interviews he said something to the effect of "These guys have players cursing at them all game long and treating them like dogs. It just didn't seem right for me to get a technical for what I said."

Yea exactly how i remember it. I forgot which spur or spurs came over to hold him back but he was goin nuts, lol. And lefty lmao at your pic, ha, so true. I agree he's like never mad, but a guy like that who is so nice, I don't think you really want to see their pissed off/mad side. Think if robinson was not like he is, say he had a rodman mentality, he might've killed a few guys haha.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-20-2009, 07:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFXj4DigFr0

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 07:34 PM
David Robinson was only ejected once in his entire career. He fouled out 29 times and was whistled for a total of 26 technical fouls (and one flagrant).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=715

That's wrong. He was ejected at least twice: The Portland game and the Washington game. He was fined 5000 dollars as well after the fight with Harvey Grant. That game was in 1991 at Hemisfair.

holcs50
04-20-2009, 07:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFXj4DigFr0

Wow nice find dude-props!!!! now we just need the houston one-pretty sure they were in their whites/home but thats great to see cuz i missed that one. Man, robby was the man, sigh, if only we had a 28 year old robby on the team now....I mean honestly how much would we rape every team out there? Badly i think. That video also is crazy because it reminds us all of how great TD was when he was a youngin....fuckin age, lol. He moved so amazingly, so fluidly, just awesome to see. Robby always was more-boom im driving and there's no way your stopping me, td is more fluid.

samikeyp
04-20-2009, 08:14 PM

At that point, I knew SA was winning the title.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Yep.

AnthonyM
04-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Here's another clip of Robinson not backing down...most of yall will probably remember this too...fast forward to 2:10 since its part of a longer video about garnett

GuxOKp7JtHo

SpuronyourFace
04-20-2009, 09:29 PM
LOL, I remember that game. I also remember that fool Brian Grant...loser.

This is my favorite Spurs-Blazers clip though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FDboZTyeuA

YODA
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
I think I was at this game...mid court Rob went nutty and got in ref face yelling. He immidiatly got thrown out of game. He ran off court, and some may not know this, took his jersey off half way running to locker room. He got a standing ovation.

Yoda

whottt
04-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Drob never backed down, when challenged with a physical confrontation he never backed down from anyone, not even Shaq.

And his primary way of scoring was drawing a foul in the paint.

His career as Superstar ended because he played through a hernia in the Olympics.

Drob never deserved the soft label, there's nothing soft about Naval officer training...at least not when compared to most college basketball programs.

He didn't back down from Hakeem in 95 either...there's just wasn't a whole lot he could do to stop Hakeem...there wasn't anything thing anyone could do when Hakeem was in his zone...a lot of times there wasn't anything two men could do...the dreamshake could not be stopped, the physics to stopping it were basically impossible for the human body to achieve, you just had hope Hakeem missed it.

Drob never deserved the soft label, and he never backed down...he got passive sometimes, which is probably good considering if he really hated falling short he would have bailed on the incompetent FO that wasted his prime...

But anyway, yeah DRob got into it serious with Harvey Grant. I recall him getting into something with Shawn Bradly once upon a time too.

And Drob spent the rest of his career whupping up on Karl Malone's ass in game after that elbow incident. I think the 97-98 playoffs were the last time David Robinson lost to Malone and the Jazz...for the rest of his career. And I remember him holding Malone scoreless in his final season of 2003...

Drob always attempted to conduct himself first and foremost as an officer and gentleman, who showed respect to others without having to be told to or having it earned, that's the real path of a man. It's a much harder one to walk as well...