PDA

View Full Version : Initial Reactions: Spurs vs. Mavs - Game 2

timvp
04-21-2009, 12:42 AM
http://spurstalk.com/box1apr20.jpg
http://spurstalk.com/box2apr20.jpg

The Spurs needed Game 2 and they went out and got it. They had more energy and played tougher than the Mavericks all night long and cruised to a 105-84 victory. San Antonio still has a lot of work to go but this was definitely a step in the right direction.

Three things won this game for the Spurs: the team's rotation on defense, the domination of the glass and Tony Parker playing like a superstar. In Game 1, the Spurs had many lazy rotations. In Game 2, seemingly each and every rotation had purpose. And after getting out-rebounded by Dallas in eight straight playoff games, the Spurs finally took control of the boards.

The Mavs don't have too much to be disappointed about. They got the split they needed and they even had a few good runs in this game despite not playing well in any facet. Once they get their home fans behind them, the Mavs are going to play much, much better.

Overall, the Spurs took care of business. Parker came up with a legendary performance and the team played vintage defense for a large amount of the game.

-Tim Duncan didn't dominate the action but he played very well. His defense was very good, especially when he got switched out on the perimeter. Health-wise, the fact that he could move his feet against smaller players is extremely encouraging. Duncan also rebounded, protected the rim and set a physical tone on the offensive end. His passing was also very good -- both out of the low-post and the high-post.

-This game will be remembered as one of Tony Parker's best. After a so-so opener, Parker wasn't letting the Spurs lose tonight. He sliced and diced his way to 38 points and eight assists in less than 33 minutes of work. Amazingly, Parker hit 16 of his first 18 two-point attempts. Defensively, I thought he was very good in the first two and a half quarters. He faded a tad bit down the stretch of the game on D but he was still playing at a high level. All in all, it was a great bounce-back performance from a blossoming superstar.

-Matt Bonner took a lot of flack after his Game 1 performance -- much of it being well deserved. In Game 2, Bonner was very good. Defensively, he played the type of defense he showed in the first half of the season. A deceptively quick player, Bonner's rotations out on the perimeter were outstanding for a bigman. Against a team like the Mavs who utilize a lot of screens, Bonner's quick and on-time rotations were a huge asset for the Spurs. His seven rebounds were also much more than we've come to expect out of the New Hampshire native. Offensively, he drilled a trio of three-pointers and both of his free throws. His missed a number of chippies around the bucket but other than that, Bonner exceeded all expectations and won plenty of playing time going forward.

-Roger Mason, Jr. had a rollercoaster of a game. At some points, he played well. At other times, he was consistently authoring head-scratching plays. His point guard play wasn't pretty at all but he was somewhat effective in that role. On defense, Mason was much more physical and went after loose balls with much more vivacity. All things considered, Mason played well enough, though he still can clean up his work.

-On defense, Michael Finley was much better. He didn't give Josh Howard nearly as much space. While it's true that the Spurs were sending a lot of help his way, I liked that he kept his intensity on that end. Offensively, Finley was a little bit too aggressive. He forced a few shots and could have been a bit more liberal with his passes. However, he had a key five-point spurt in the third that helped keep the Mavs at bay.

-Gotta love Bruce Bowen. He didn't get to do much in the regular season. Pop seemed ready to send him to pasture. Come playoff time, Bowen is back to being a vital cog to San Antonio's machine. Defensively, Bowen didn't just look like he hadn't lost a stepped, the 37-year-old looked like he had gained a step. He was all over the place and whoever he defended simply hand no chance. Bowen mostly took turns making harassing J.J. Barea and Jason Terry. His play in the first half earned him a start in the second half and probably much more minutes going forward.

-Ime Udoka played his role decently well. His six defensive rebounds in 22 minutes were very good to see. His offense was mostly ugly but as long as he's defending, rebounding and hustling for loose balls, he's not a liability on the court. It'd be nice if he could reel in his aggressiveness a little bit on the offensive end, however that's been an ongoing problem with Udoka since he signed with San Antonio.

-Drew Gooden is looking more and more like a Spur. Tonight he came off the bench and his physicality, toughness and will to compete were all very impressive. On top of those intangibles, his offensive footwork and the ensuing production was very beneficial to the team. In the last few weeks, Gooden's per-minute production has been at near All-Star level.

-His effort was better but Kurt Thomas wasn't very good in Game 2 after having a sub par Game 1. He mostly helped out with his physical screens but hurt the team by committing five fouls in less than 13 minutes. Going forward, let's hope Thomas can rediscover his rhythm that made him such a valuable player in the second half of the season.

-Pop made a lot of good decisions in Game 2. I liked that he gave Bonner another shot and it really paid off. Pop also gave Bowen a chance to shine and Bowen didn't disappoint. His adjustments on the defensive end worked to perfection and put the Spurs in a position to win. Additionally, Pop did a better job of finding the needed rest for Parker and Duncan without losing too much momentum.

This is now a series. Time to gear up for Game 3.

Believe.

bdictjames
04-21-2009, 12:43 AM
I thought Duncan quietly made his presence felt tonight. He challenged every shot that came in his way; he did not just stare at the guy and letting him score. Duncan did a great job altering Barea and Terry's lay-ups as well.

I'm glad Bruce Bowen has played some minutes tonight and has become effective. And finally, Hill plays as well.

Parker should be a beast this series, hopefully Jason Kidd won't hit threes that accurately next time.

hater
04-21-2009, 12:47 AM
my summary: Mavs choked.

Spursfan101
04-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Good defense leads to good offense. Not a hard concept. Great win.

Manufan909
04-21-2009, 12:48 AM
Fifth!!!

And no love for Hill, JV, or Fab, timvp?:lol

duncan228
04-21-2009, 12:49 AM
It was a team effort and it was Spurs basketball. Parker was unreal. Role players stepped up. But the thing that makes me most confident going forward is Duncan. His footwork was great, his defense was there. His timing is back, with 3 blocks to show for it too. With the day off and Dallas being an easy trip things look good for Duncan to stay healthy. And that matters to how far we go.

DPG21920
04-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Pops adjustments did work beautifully, now lets see the Mavs adjust. What do you think the Mavs will do to counter how the Spurs hedged/flashed/showed and closed out?

arodz
04-21-2009, 12:52 AM
Where has this defense been all year?? Hint: On the bench (Bowen). It'd be that much better if Hill was playing. I know Pop thinks he makes too many mistakes, but so does Mason if not not more. And with Hill you'd get his great reach on D and athleticism.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-21-2009, 12:54 AM
timvp, do you still think Pop will still keep Hill glued to the bench when the series shifts to Dallas? I was hoping to see whether Pop would play Hill tonight or not, but judging by the margin victory, I guess there was no need to use George.

SA210
04-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Gotta love Bruce Bowen. He didn't get to do much in the regular season. Pop seemed ready to send him to pasture. Come playoff time, Bowen is back to being a vital cog to San Antonio's machine. Defensively, Bowen didn't just look like he hadn't lost a stepped, the 37-year-old looked like he had gained a step. He was all over the place and whoever he defended simply hand no chance. Bowen mostly took turns making harassing J.J. Barea and Jason Terry. His play in the first half earned him a start in the second half and probably much more minutes going forward.

It's all in the sig :toast

:flag:

Libri
04-21-2009, 12:55 AM
It's great to see opposing players get frustrated by Bruce's D.

timvp
04-21-2009, 12:57 AM
timvp, do you still think Pop will still keep Hill glued to the bench when the series shifts to Dallas? I was hoping to see whether Pop would play Hill tonight or not, but judging by the margin victory, I guess there was no need to use George.

I thought the Spurs needed Hill for Barea because Barea burned Bowen badly a couple times in the regular season. I guess I didn't factor in Bowen's ability to up his game come playoff time.

If Bowen can keep defending Barea like he did tonight, the Spurs don't need Hill for that matchup.

Mugen
04-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Pops adjustments did work beautifully, now lets see the Mavs adjust. What do you think the Mavs will do to counter how the Spurs hedged/flashed/showed and closed out?

defensively, i think that they will play a lot more zone and pack it in the lane. no way they can have TP just waltz into the lane every time. our shooters gotta come up big in these dallas games

i still think they try to iso dirk/howard more cuz i dont think they are convinced that matt and fin can stop and frankly neither am i.

our closeouts were great but i thought that a lot of the mavs passed up some open threes that they should have taken, notably howard and barea.

loveforthegame
04-21-2009, 12:59 AM
+28 for Finley to lead the team?

timvp
04-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Pops adjustments did work beautifully, now lets see the Mavs adjust. What do you think the Mavs will do to counter how the Spurs hedged/flashed/showed and closed out?I gotta watch it again to look more closely. But theoretically, if a team is hedging all game you can get open shots if you have quick ball movement out of the pick-and-rolls. It seemed like the Mavs were holding it a bit too long and giving the Spurs enough time to recover to the shooters.

YODA
04-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Rotations were great with certain groups of players. I noticed Bowen cheats big time off the weak side and it really helps clog the middle. I hope to see more of that from different players.

Im starting to love the drives of Bonner. He finally has confidence driving the lane.

Interior D without Tim in game is horrible. Expected, but wish it was better. bonner D actually seemed to work this game or at least it seemed that way.

Parker rules!!!

a game 3 win would really spice up this series. GO SPURS!

timvp
04-21-2009, 01:01 AM
+28 for Finley to lead the team?Playing most of your minutes with both Duncan and Parker on the court does wonders for the ol' +/-.

z0sa
04-21-2009, 01:02 AM

JJ Barea got shut down. It'll be interesting to see how what positions they try to get him into next game to see if he can be that sparkplug again.

Dirk had a very uncharacteristic scoring night, his second in a row - but I put a good amount of that Dirk performance on the Spurs defense. All night, Dirk was played physically and the spurs definitely have gameplanned for his scoring better in Game 2. They forced him to dribble and were throwing double teams as soon as he did, while mixing up the coverage. I honestly thought both Bonner and Gooden did excellent jobs making him work, Thomas did okay. I don't know how you get Dirk in a better position to score than that isolation at the top of the key, and we're playing it about as well as you could ask. Anyone think the physical play is getting to his head a little?

I presume they will work something out with Terry. Both he and Dirk had two off nights in a row. Dirk you can count on scoring at the AAC, Terry might need even more attention from Bowen if need be.

justinandimcool
04-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Bruce, Ime, and even Bonner made some great defensive rotations alongside Tim. I hope to god they keep this up.

Anyone else as worried about Drew as I am though? I couldn't handle another injury :(

z0sa
04-21-2009, 01:05 AM
Im starting to love the drives of Bonner. He finally has confidence driving the lane.

Bonner was making good decisions and really testing the Mavs defense with his attempts, rebounding and passing out of tough situations. While we did win by 20, chances are a couple of those gimmes roll in next time and we need Bonner attacking his big man off the dribble when they're flying out to rotate on his shot. Those plays almost always create a broken defensive situation the Mavs can't adjust to.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 01:05 AM
I gotta watch it again to look more closely. But theoretically, if a team is hedging all game you can get open shots if you have quick ball movement out of the pick-and-rolls. It seemed like the Mavs were holding it a bit too long and giving the Spurs enough time to recover to the shooters.

Yeah, they lucked out a bit that the Mavs didn't seem to anticipate some of those and get the shooters ready to pull the trigger. The Spurs are going to have to mix it up a bit on the defensive end after Dallas adjusts.

HarlemHeat37
04-21-2009, 01:06 AM
I don't really see Dallas making an adjustment offensively, other than getting away from Barea a bit..I can't believe he became their #1 option for a while, even with the Mavs star players on the floor..they'll play their normal game that we have trouble with..going to Howard on a mismatch, and Dirk on a mismatch..everything else will work from there, since we'll surely send some doubles their way..

the defensive adjustment will clearly be more zone IMO..it was working well for them, I don't know why they went away from it..I'd be surprised if we didn't see it early in game 3..

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Playing most of your minutes with both Duncan and Parker on the court does wonders for the ol' +/-.

As does working a little harder at keeping close to your cover.

timvp
04-21-2009, 01:07 AM
As does working a little harder at keeping close to your cover.

:lol Yeah, being within 15 feet of your man when he has the ball doesn't hurt either.

EricB
04-21-2009, 01:09 AM
Bowen starts the second half.

Makes you wonder if that could hold for game 3.....

Buddy Holly
I think one adjustment Pop should make for the next game is play Manu. :wow

DPG21920
By the m'fing way, how sick was that Finley block on Dirk, then he slams it on the other end. The place went off.

timvp
04-21-2009, 01:10 AM
I don't really see Dallas making an adjustment offensively, other than getting away from Barea a bit..I can't believe he became their #1 option for a while, even with the Mavs star players on the floor..I'm not ready to count Barea out of the series just yet. He got the best of Bowen when the two matched up in a game at Dallas. I want to see Bowen do this with Mav Fan howling before I consider it a victory. A few touch fouls and Barea becomes a problem once again.

Mugen

only if they start barea. bruce started cuz carlisle started jj.

loveforthegame
Playing most of your minutes with both Duncan and Parker on the court does wonders for the ol' +/-.

So he earned his - 20 because he didn't play most his minutes with Parker and Duncan in game 1?

timvp
04-21-2009, 01:11 AM
only if they start barea. bruce started cuz carlisle started jj.
And because Mason had three fouls. Pop has had the habit of sitting the role players to begin the second half if they are in any type of foul trouble.

But we'll see. I'd definitely wouldn't be against more Bowen. His defense was obviously good but I also like the way his jumper looks right now.

timvp
04-21-2009, 01:12 AM
So he earned his - 20 because he didn't play most his minutes with Parker and Duncan in game 1?He earned his -20 in Game 1 because he let Josh Howard destroy him and break down the defense repeatedly.

Mugen
And because Mason had three fouls. Pop has had the habit of sitting the role players to begin the second half if they are in any type of foul trouble.

But we'll see. I'd definitely wouldn't be against more Bowen. His defense was obviously good but I also like the way his jumper looks right now.

isnt bowen shooting 100% for this series?

i mean he even made his 2 fts.

Obstructed_View
I'm not ready to count Barea out of the series just yet. He got the best of Bowen when the two matched up in a game at Dallas. I want to see Bowen do this with Mav Fan howling before I consider it a victory. A few touch fouls and Barea becomes a problem once again.

Yeah, the Spurs didn't get home calls at home. I shudder to think what they're going to get on the road.

As much as I hate to even say this, what do you want to bet that J. Crawford has a plane ticket being booked to Dallas?

EricB
04-21-2009, 01:13 AM

No kidding.

Whens the last time you saw Bruce nail a pull up 15 footer on a fastbreak?

HarlemHeat37
04-21-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm not ready to count Barea out of the series just yet. He got the best of Bowen when the two matched up in a game at Dallas. I want to see Bowen do this with Mav Fan howling before I consider it a victory. A few touch fouls and Barea becomes a problem once again.

I'm absolutely not counting out Barea..but I found it comical that Carlisle basically ran their offense through him for a number of consecutive possessions, despite having the other stars on the floor..

if Carlisle wants to run it through the little munchkin instead of Dirk or Howard, I have no problems with that at all..

EricB
04-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Yeah, the Spurs didn't get home calls at home. I shudder to think what they're going to get on the road.

As much as I hate to even say this, what do you want to bet that J. Crawford has a plane ticket being booked to Dallas?

That call to end the first half.

My god.

The no call on Bass ripping Duncan to the floor.

The foul in the first quarter when Gooden played Nowitzki perfect on the baseline.

Just pathetic.

EricB
04-21-2009, 01:17 AM
The one other thing I fould funny was when Carlisle went small, Pop matched, but the Spurs kicked their ass so badly during that time, he went back to being big with Bass :lol

loveforthegame
04-21-2009, 01:18 AM
Finley must hate the +/- stat. He gets a high negative it's because he was destroyed by his player but he gets a high positive it's because he plays with Duncan and Parker.

timvp
Yeah, the Spurs didn't get home calls at home. I shudder to think what they're going to get on the road.I'm still traumatized by Dirk's free throw parade in Game 3 and Game 4 in 2006.

EricB
I'm still traumatized by Dirk's free throw parade in Game 3 and Game 4 in 2006.

:lol

DPG21920
04-21-2009, 01:19 AM
Seriously, no one saw the Findog block?

polandprzem
04-21-2009, 01:22 AM

I remeber you being pissed off on refs like never before.

Spurs were a better team then ...

--------------

We need Hill, not because he is much needed for playing Barea but for his confidence. He need to feel he fits into this team. he looked lost in those garbage time.
And if spurs be able to advance, Pop can use him. Udoka can disappear in one moment just like that.

EricB
04-21-2009, 01:23 AM

happened right in front of me I remember it quite well.

That will be a foul in Dallas however.

Mugen
04-21-2009, 01:23 AM

Absolutely ridiculous.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 01:25 AM

Meh, Dirk was aggressive because the Spurs didn't have a shot blocker other than Duncan on the floor, and everyone was out of position for four and a half games so they reached a lot. The stepping-on-the-foot foul was just reflex by that time because they'd blown the whistles so many times.

The officiating in the last two games actually scares me into thinking things about the NBA I've never thought before. Bavetta not making homer calls is an ominous, ominous sign.

timvp
04-21-2009, 01:25 AM
I remeber you being pissed off on refs like never before.Yeah I don't think I've complained about refs before or since those two games. But those two games. Wow.

But watching Dwyane Wade get revenge in the Finals proved that their is at least a basketball god :smokin

timvp
04-21-2009, 01:27 AM
The officiating in the last two games actually scares me into thinking things about the NBA I've never thought before. Bavetta not making homer calls is an ominous, ominous sign.I thought the refs have been great so far this series. :hat

loveforthegame

It was beautiful but of course it'll be overlooked.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/Jamz1976/Sports/458.jpg

Manufan909

I sure as fuck hope so.

HarlemHeat37
04-21-2009, 01:29 AM
I jumped out of my seat when Finley blocked Dirk, but I wasn't sure if it wasn't a foul..it looked clean on that picture that was just posted by loveforthegame though, so I can definitely feel better about it..

Finley dunked soon after that too..

it's like he had an athletic flashback..

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 01:29 AM
That call to end the first half.

My god.

The no call on Bass ripping Duncan to the floor.

The foul in the first quarter when Gooden played Nowitzki perfect on the baseline.

Just pathetic.

Actually, they should have given the foul to Bruce and it would have been fine. Since they charged it to Mason it wasn't in the act of shooting, but neither was Dampier's layup. Speaking of that, the inconsistency of the continuation rule from one side to the other was surprising.

DPG21920
04-21-2009, 01:30 AM
It was beautiful but of course it'll be overlooked.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/Jamz1976/Sports/458.jpg

Nice! Then he got the dunk on the other end. It was a great sequence but will never top when he mashed the ball then head butted it in the playoffs against the Mavs. Straight G.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 01:31 AM
I thought the refs have been great so far this series. :hat

I thought the Spurs' play tonight means that they can pretty much play through anything short of FIBA officiating.

EricB
04-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Actually, they should have given the foul to Bruce and it would have been fine. Since they charged it to Mason it wasn't in the act of shooting, but neither was Dampier's layup. Speaking of that, the inconsistency of the continuation rule from one side to the other was surprising.

I sense copius amounts of drippings of sarcasm.

Mugen
i hope to god the refs let us play D in Dallas like we did in the third qtr

EricB
I thought the Spurs' play tonight means that they can pretty much play through anything short of FIBA officiating.

Maybe even Joey Crawford.

Oh well.

Hopefully its the other crawford thats the lead in game 3.

timvp
04-21-2009, 01:34 AM
From my angle, it looked like Mason fouled Terry by putting a hand on his back during his shot. That's an automatic call. And yeah, Bowen fouled him too.

timvp
04-21-2009, 01:36 AM
And yeah, that was a nice block by Finley on Dirk and then a vintage fadeaway dunk on the other end. Hopefully Finley realized that his offense doesn't matter nearly as much as his defense. Sticking within 15 feet of Howard and rotating physically >>>> 5-for-5 three-point shooting and trash defense.

But Dirk gets that call in Dallas no doubt.

EricB
04-21-2009, 01:37 AM
BTW props to Drew Gooden on that unreal first half.

His defense was fantastic. He bothered Dirk well, he rotated VERY well, and on offense he was smart and agressive with a beautifull up and under to get by Bass.

Hope hes ok and can produce like that in Dallas :tu

whottt
04-21-2009, 01:40 AM
Finley must hate the +/- stat. He gets a high negative it's because he was destroyed by his player but he gets a high positive it's because he plays with Duncan and Parker.

That's because Parker, Bonnner and Duncan had nearly the same +/- as Finley did tonight...

While no one else had even half of his negative +/- in game 1...in fact his negative +/- in game 1 was nearly equal to that of every other player on the team...

COMBINED.

So no...his positive doesn't mean much when it is a number shared by those he started with...

His negative +/- from game 1 being 4/5ths more than any starter not named Matt Bonner(and over double Bonner's) not to mention being at least more than twice that of any other player on the bench...means everything.

Finley was an absolute whirlpool of suck in game 1...tonight he merely went along for the ride in a strong team performance....and his numbers are typical of the other starters...not standout, as they were in game 1, standout from the entire rest of the team, unless you add all the others together.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 01:46 AM
That's because Parker, Bonnner and Duncan had nearly the same +/- as Finley did tonight...

While no one else had even half of his negative +/- in game 1...in fact his negative +/- in game 1 was nearly equal to that of every other player on the team...

COMBINED.

So no...his positive doesn't mean much when it is a number shared by those he started with...

His negative +/- from game 1 being 4/5ths more than any starter not named Matt Bonner(and over double Bonner's) not to mention being at least more than twice that of any other player on the bench...means everything.

Finley was an absolute whirlpool of suck in game 1...tonight he merely went along for the ride in a strong team performance....and his numbers are typical of the other starters...not standout, as they were in game 1, standout from the entire rest of the team, unless you add all the others together.

Funny how a dose of Bruce rights so many wrongs.

whottt
04-21-2009, 01:48 AM
-Pop made a lot of good decisions in Game 2. I liked that he gave Bonner another shot and it really paid off.

He told Bonner that he was going to get pulled from the game if he didn't take the shot when he was open...

That seems to be what works best with Bonner...it's takes the thinking about it(and the responsibility for missing the shot) out of his hands thereby decreasing the choke that will happen the second he has to think about taking the shot.

Pop also gave Bowen a chance to shine and Bowen didn't disappoint.

This is like propping someone for realizing that shooting themself in the foot is stupid after doing it 83 games in a row.

Was that it hard to see that Bowen could help?

Personally...I prefer to think of it as being Pop's plan all along to save Bowen. The idea that Pop legitimately didn't think Bowen could contribute and only now realized it is frankly a terrifying one...since the Spurs are in his hands.

His adjustments on the defensive end worked to perfection and put the Spurs in a position to win. Additionally, Pop did a better job of finding the needed rest for Parker and Duncan without losing too much momentum.

This is now a series. Time to gear up for Game 3.

Believe.

My favorite adjustment was limiting Finley's minutes to less than any other starter....

Finley put up a +28 in only 25 minutes :lol

If we needed any other proof that less Finley is more, there it is....

EricB
04-21-2009, 01:48 AM
Funny how a dose of Bruce rights so many wrongs.

Agreed.

I loved the rotations in that third quarter.

Would've been perfect if it was Mase, Gooden, Hill coming straight off the bench first but, baby steps.

timvp
04-21-2009, 01:54 AM
He told Bonner that he was going to get pulled from the game if he didn't take the shot when he was open...That's what he always tells him. Running a couple plays for him to get him open looks was a bigger difference. He didn't really pass up any shots in Game 1 ... they just weren't there.

Was that it hard to see that Bowen could help?

Personally...I prefer to think of it as being Pop's plan all along to save Bowen.I would believe that but Bowen only got time in Game 1 after Udoka got benched. And Pop admitted that Manu being out is the only reason Bowen got back into the rotation at the end of the season.

The idea that Pop legitimately didn't think Bowen could contribute and only now realized it is frankly a terrifying one...since the Spurs are in his hands. Unless he pulled the ultimate CIA Pop and told Manu to get injured and Udoka to screw up in Game 1, I think it's correct to be terrified.

whottt
04-21-2009, 01:55 AM
I would also like to give Pop props for the brilliant decision to actully use bigmen to defend the Mavs bigmen with....

I mean wow, we guard them with bigmen and all of a sudden we stopp getting murdered on the glass and bitchslapped off the court in the 4th quarter...what a stroke of genius that was.

I think everyone is saying the Mavs wanted it less tonight...amazing how their desire decreases when they are being guarded by guys 6'10 and 240 instead of 220lb 2 guards.

Sheer genius I say.

EricB
04-21-2009, 01:57 AM
I would also like to give Pop props for the brilliant decision to actully use bigmen to defend the Mavs bigmen with....

I mean wow, we guard them with bigmen and all of a sudden we stopp getting murdered on the glass and bitchslapped off the court in the 4th quarter...what a stroke of genius that was.

I think everyone is saying the Mavs wanted it less tonight...amazing how their desire decreases when they are being guarded by guys 6'10 and 240 instead of 220lb 2 guards.

Sheer genius I say.

Except that stretch in the third where both teams went small, but the Spurs outsmall balled the Mavericks.

papashango
04-21-2009, 02:00 AM

It didn't last game when he was -20 on 7-9 shooting with 5/5 from 3 lol.

tp2021
04-21-2009, 02:00 AM
Except that stretch in the third where both teams went small, but the Spurs outsmall balled the Mavericks.

As much as that is awesome, I wouldn't plan on winning a game in Dallas that way.

EricB
04-21-2009, 02:02 AM
As much as that is awesome, I wouldn't plan on winning a game in Dallas that way.

Neither would I, but it forced the Mavericks to go back big.

I'm hoping tonight's ass whoopin gives the Mavericks pause. Although I'm sure it won't.

whottt
04-21-2009, 02:03 AM
It didn't last game when he was -20 on 7-9 shooting with 5/5 from 3 lol.

Just out of curiosity...what was your usernic at Spurs Report?

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 02:04 AM
He told Bonner that he was going to get pulled from the game if he didn't take the shot when he was open...

That seems to be what works best with Bonner...it's takes the thinking about it(and the responsibility for missing the shot) out of his hands thereby decreasing the choke that will happen the second he has to think about taking the shot.

Bonner had essentially zero open opportunities in game one. Blame that on him if you'd like, but being tentative about shooting has not been his problem at any time this season, which is why he leads the team in three point percentage. If Bonner defended, rebounded, and hustled like tonight in game 1 without making a shot it would probably have been enough to change the outcome.

EricB
04-21-2009, 02:06 AM
Bonner had essentially zero open opportunities in game one. Blame that on him if you'd like, but being tentative about shooting has not been his problem at any time this season, which is why he leads the team in three point percentage. If Bonner defended, rebounded, and hustled like tonight in game 1 without making a shot it would probably have been enough to change the outcome.

Agreed.

His rotations on the perimiter and his fantastic defense on Dirk were enough for a standing O.

Unfortunately he probobly won't play but 5 minutes combined up in Dallas due to the refs will whistle him for breathing on Dirk too much.

whottt
04-21-2009, 02:07 AM

They also gave him a healthy dose of Gooden...plus they took it at his ass in the paint all night.

Dirk was ready to go home and listen to some Hasselhoff records by halftime....that is the Dirk that just about every other team in the NBA knows. He's only Wilt against us...and it's because we make it easy for him to be Wilt.

whottt
04-21-2009, 02:14 AM
That's what he always tells him. Running a couple plays for him to get him open looks was a bigger difference. He didn't really pass up any shots in Game 1 ... they just weren't there.

They said Pop told him that before the game tonight...a reiteration never hurts.

I would believe that but Bowen only got time in Game 1 after Udoka got benched. And Pop admitted that Manu being out is the only reason Bowen got back into the rotation at the end of the season.

Unless he pulled the ultimate CIA Pop and told Manu to get injured and Udoka to screw up in Game 1, I think it's correct to be terrified.

Or wanted a to light a big fire under Bowen...you may very well be right, I just hope you aren't.

I just have a hard time buying that Pop totally fell out of love with Bowen this season, Bowen's been his favorite Spur(or at least one of them) for too long.

Then again...Finley.

Danny.Zhu
04-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Nice article.

raspsa
04-21-2009, 02:32 AM
Even when Bowen was getting limited playing time during the regular season, I never doubted that he would reappear in the playoffs. Pop knows what Bowen is capable of and he was simply keeping him fresh for when the games really mattered.

Blackjack
04-21-2009, 02:34 AM
By the m'fing way, how sick was that Finley block on Dirk, then he slams it on the other end. The place went off.

I wasn't even real sure that, that, was what I had just seen.

I was starting to think all those drugs from my past were making me hallucinate.

Dirk actually beat his man off the dribble, got to the cup, was challenged at the rim, but didn't get to the free-throw line?

That must have been some good shit.:smokin

Game 3...:bang

I don't remember the exact numbers but I recall the Spurs playing almost a flawless offensive quarter, shooting something like 70-80%, while the Mav's only made 4 fg's in the entire quarter to go along with 20+ ft's.( IIRC, two of the fg's were put-backs, and one of those two being absolute garbage/luck on Dampier's behalf.)

BTW props to Drew Gooden on that unreal first half.

His defense was fantastic. He bothered Dirk well, he rotated VERY well, and on offense he was smart and agressive with a beautifull up and under to get by Bass.

Hope hes ok and can produce like that in Dallas :tu

:tu

He came out with a purpose and a goal to earn some playing time, and I'd say mission accomplished.

He gave the team a much needed spark in a time where a lull seemed to be looming, and a lead was sure to be lost. Again.

Bukefal
04-21-2009, 03:07 AM
They played great, i really enjoyed seeing them play. Tony Parker is a god! Tim is back, he played like we are used to him playing, he did great. It was really beautiful basketball last night. Everything will be just alright.

GO SPURS GO

Manufan909
04-21-2009, 03:39 AM
If Gooden plays Manu-like numbers in the POs, his contributions could be Manu-like. I'm not saying his defence or intangibles are anywhere near a 80% or more Ginobili, but if the Spurs face some big frontlines(Houston/Portland/LAL) he'll be a huge bonus, with the way he generates foul trouble for the other team.

If he continues to perform the way he has the past two games for 8-10 more, I have no clue as to why Pop wouldn't make damn sure he was resigned, unless he really believes Bosh can be whooed over here, or Tiago will actually come in the summer of '10.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 03:44 AM
After tonight, I'm much less concerned about the front line, particularly if Thomas can get it together and start playing well again.

raspsa
04-21-2009, 04:05 AM
What I find remarkable is how Pop managed the guys' minutes. Parker played less than 33 minutes and the rest of the guys even less. Really a masterful coaching by Pop.

Kamnik
04-21-2009, 05:29 AM
I loved how they handled Barea. He even had the worse +/- on his team.

timvp
04-21-2009, 05:34 AM
After tonight, I'm much less concerned about the front line, particularly if Thomas can get it together and start playing well again.
:tu We now know that Bonner is at least capable of playing the defense we saw in the first half of the year. For a while it looked like he may have been worn down by the long season. Now Bonner has no excuse to play the soft defense we saw in Game 1.

And now if Gooden is healthy and Thomas can play like he played from January to the first week of April, the front line would be at least as good as it was in 2007.

Chomag
04-21-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm not sure if it was more the mavs having a bad night or if it was 100% our defense that slowed them down. I guess we will soon find out. Imo it was bit of the two. I'm not fully convinced that Barea will be that ineffective in the games to come. I still see Hill as the Xfactor on him.

Agloco
04-21-2009, 07:57 AM

IMO what Bowen is doing is godlike.

Anyone who knows anything about the NBA realizes how difficult it is to play good D consistently. Even with Pop having put him in such a difficult position, he still answers the call and gives us some good energy out there.

More Bruce please. He's the real X-Factor.

Agloco
04-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Unfortunately......

Consistency is the major problem for this group. What's being done on one night isn't usually duplicated the next. Bonner, Mason and Gooden need to bring the same intensity as they did for Game 2 to the next one.

Unfortunately......

The odds on that are pretty remote.

Spurs Brazil
04-21-2009, 09:10 AM
TP was fantastic. We'll need more of this to win 3 more.

Bruce is great. It looks like he can play D in 2 or 3 guys at the same time

The D was much more agressive and the rotatios were the best of the season.

Bonner played more agressive. His scared look from game 1 was gone

I hope Gooden is OK, because he's playing very well

lefty
04-21-2009, 09:21 AM
i thought duncan quietly made his presence felt tonight. He challenged every shot that came in his way; he did not just stare at the guy and letting him score. Duncan did a great job altering barea and terry's lay-ups as well.

i'm glad bruce bowen has played some minutes tonight and has become effective. And finally, hill plays as well.

Parker should be a beast this series, hopefully jason kidd won't hit threes that accurately next time.

+1

ElNono
04-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Did anyone notice Dirk gassed by the 3rd? I don't recall Bonner making him work.
Unfortunately he's gonna have 2 days to rest, but there might be something there for us.
That is, if he doesn't get bailed out constantly like in the first half yesterday.

I also thought JHo had his mind somewhere else. As pointed out by Mono in the NBA Forum, that 24 second violation when he had a trey and ended up doing a cross court pass was the epitome of his night. I think if we can get that guy to check out mentally off the game, we can definitely replicate what we did yesterday.

Rogue
04-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Our boys in blue just lost a game they were supposed to lose, no one has ever expected boys in blue to sweep the spurs after all... We have got to win all the 3 home games in the rest of this series, then the spurs are gonna over in game 6.

Findog
04-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Mavs are not a good road team and I will venture to say that they will not win another game in San Antonio in this series. They had better hope a Game 7 is not necessary. I think Dallas has to hold onto HCA to win this series.

tp2021
04-21-2009, 10:18 AM
i also thought jho had his mind somewhere else... I think if we can get that guy to check out mentally off the game, we can definitely replicate what we did yesterday.

4-20

silverblackfan
04-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Meh, Dirk was aggressive because the Spurs didn't have a shot blocker other than Duncan on the floor, and everyone was out of position for four and a half games so they reached a lot. The stepping-on-the-foot foul was just reflex by that time because they'd blown the whistles so many times.

The officiating in the last two games actually scares me into thinking things about the NBA I've never thought before. Bavetta not making homer calls is an ominous, ominous sign.

Agreed. Normally Bavetta is pretty fair and seems to like the Spurs, but Tony and Tim were getting mauled around the basket with no call.

silverblackfan
04-21-2009, 10:28 AM
If, and it's a big IF, the Spurs win it all and Bruce continues to perform by shutting down the opponent (James in Finals), then I think Bowen could be a possible MVP of the Finals. I realize that Tony will get it, but it would be a hell of a Spurs statement if Bowen got it.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah I don't think I've complained about refs before or since those two games. But those two games. Wow.

But watching Dwyane Wade get revenge in the Finals proved that their is at least a basketball god :smokin

Yes, but apparently he's also an uber Laker homer.

Fabbs
04-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Gooden was 500Xs better then Bonner. Bonners treys were with us up 20 and had no pressure whatsoever. Gooden on the other hand was key with Parker in helping build the lead.

The spitting up blood at least explains that it wasn't Pops idocy that kept Bonner in and Gooden out.

GHill continuing to be nailed to the bench with the Spurs up 20+ late third and early 4th just validates Poppeds cementhead status. I hope he doesnt get owned again on the coaching front the rest of the series.......

LakeShow
04-21-2009, 11:01 AM
-His effort was better but Kurt Thomas wasn't very good in Game 2 after having a sub par Game 1. He mostly helped out with his physical screens but hurt the team by committing five fouls in less than 13 minutes. Going forward, let's hope Thomas can rediscover his rhythm that made him such a valuable player in the second half of the season.
Believe.[/quote]

:wow I'm surprised to hear that because that's not the effort I saw. I watched Kurt ruff up Dirk. His fouls were well used, it had dirk worrying about where he was rather than where the basket was. Dirk was visibly shook up by his rough play, imo.

DDS4
04-21-2009, 11:07 AM
With Barea in, the Spurs went to the PnR every time.

Pop also is employing to never go under screens when the Mavs do PnR. That's why he tore Bowen a new one during the 2nd quarter.

Also interesting was Pop putting Udoka on Kidd.

tmtcsc
04-21-2009, 12:47 PM

Nah, they swallowed.

td4mvp21
04-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Mavs are not a good road team and I will venture to say that they will not win another game in San Antonio in this series. They had better hope a Game 7 is not necessary. I think Dallas has to hold onto HCA to win this series.

Well I think the Spurs are too good of a road team even without Ginobili to lose all three in Dallas. But that's just my opinion.

Flux451
04-21-2009, 02:09 PM

I can somewhat see that. But choking usually happens when one gets plenty open looks and bricks. Spurs just defended well

DPG21920
04-21-2009, 02:57 PM
By the way Timvp, I am surprised you did not mention how good of a job Pop did buying Tim and Tony rest. It was really well thought out and maximized. To go from 37 minutes for Duncan and 41 minutes from Parker in game 1 to 28 and 33 respectively in game 2 was amazing.

He did it at perfect spots in the game, mostly at the end of quarters where there were extra timeouts in order to extend the break. He used the TV timeouts and breaks to his advantage and bought Tim and Tony lots of time to breathe :tu

La Peace
04-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Drew Gooden needs to be consistently better than decent to achieve the same success as I anticipate an drop off in efficiency from TP. Hopefully nothing is seriously wrong with him.

jman3000
04-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Tony had a masterpiece of a game... but he seems not to be able to keep me from being pissed at him.

When he took those back to back 3 pointers which led to Mav fast breaks, I wanted to choke him. He can't be stopped on the drive, and his mid range J was automatic and he wants to throw up 2 straight 3's? wtf?

timvp
04-21-2009, 03:29 PM
By the way Timvp, I am surprised you did not mention how good of a job Pop did buying Tim and Tony rest. It was really well thought out and maximized. To go from 37 minutes for Duncan and 41 minutes from Parker in game 1 to 28 and 33 respectively in game 2 was amazing.

Additionally, Pop did a better job of finding the needed rest for Parker and Duncan without losing too much momentum.

:reading

timvp
04-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Tony had a masterpiece of a game... but he seems not to be able to keep me from being pissed at him.

When he took those back to back 3 pointers which led to Mav fast breaks, I wanted to choke him. He can't be stopped on the drive, and his mid range J was automatic and he wants to throw up 2 straight 3's? wtf?Neither one led to fast breaks. The first one, which was close to the shot clock buzzer, the Mavs got the rebound and walked up the court ... then Parker stole it and went the other way for a layup. The second three-pointer, which was a set play called by Pop that resulted in a wide open look, hit the rim and went out of bounds.

If those plays made you mad then for your own health you should probably switch hobbies.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Gooden was 500Xs better then Bonner. Bonners treys were with us up 20 and had no pressure whatsoever. Gooden on the other hand was key with Parker in helping build the lead.
You're an idiot as usual. Gooden was pretty good, and I loved his hustle, but Bonner had the better game. His defense was excellent and he played far better defense on Dirk than Gooden did. Not to mention the fact that the starting unit built the lead, and Gooden didn't come in until the Spurs had a double digit lead. One thing you also fail to mention is that the lineup that pushed the lead to 20 had Bonner and Gooden in it. They played very well together. Give Gooden credit for playing well, but don't make it at Bonner's expense, especially when you have to make up fucking lies to do it.

The spitting up blood at least explains that it wasn't Pops idocy that kept Bonner in and Gooden out.
To reiterate, they played together and Gooden finished the game, so you're just making shit up again.

GHill continuing to be nailed to the bench with the Spurs up 20+ late third and early 4th just validates Poppeds cementhead status. I hope he doesnt get owned again on the coaching front the rest of the series.......
I happen to agree with you, though not as rabidly, that Hill should have gotten some more time as the game wore on. I think the hangover story from the other thread is the most likely explanation. At least it's the best one I've heard to this point, because Hill should be getting more work when the game's out of reach. Even when Hill went in, Vaughn was running the point. That drove me nuts.

DPG21920
04-21-2009, 04:51 PM
:reading

verdammen.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-21-2009, 06:40 PM
You'll see Dallas in a lot more 2-3 zone, maybe even to start the game.

Spurs Brazil
04-21-2009, 07:00 PM
You'll see Dallas in a lot more 2-3 zone, maybe even to start the game.

If they do that I'd like to see some Oberto

raspsa
04-21-2009, 08:15 PM
The stars and planets were perfectly aligned for the Spurs in Game 2. Offensively and defensively, the guys played their most consistent game of the season. They have the momentum and the condfidence going into Dallas and hopefully they don't become complacent. Sure they're experienced and all that but how many times have we seen it in the past that after a great game the team comes out flat. Hoping they continue where they left off.. right now, the Spurs are mentally tougher than the mavs and another strong performance could really do significant damage.

sabar
04-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Defense won the game, the efficient offense was just the icing on the cake. Our weak big-man rotation is clearly going to hinge on the ability of Bonner to play good defense, especially considering KTs continued lack of production. Failing this, we just need Gooden to not have an off-night and the big men are fine, otherwise we are weak there.

It is also important that Finley didn't get burned on the defensive end. This entire game was about Spurs defense, and going into Dallas, we are going to need Spurs defense to win, especially since the Mavs will want to adjust to Parker's dominance with their fans roaring for vengeance.

Get Bonner his looks, make sure Finley/Bonner/Udoka can play defense, and we should be pretty well off. When Bonner and Finley get lazy on the defesive end, our defense leaks like cheap bathroom tissue.

wildbill2u
04-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Aside from the almost miraculous offensive play by Tony Parker, you had to love the way the entire Team hustled on defense. Even when comfortably ahead they continued to move on D.

Spurs basketball rules!

itzsoweezee
04-23-2009, 02:04 AM
duncan really stepped up his defense from game 1. he totally changed what the mavs could get away with in the lane. it was like night and day in comparison with game 1.

HarlemHeat37
04-23-2009, 02:20 AM
I really disagree with that..Duncan's D looked a lot worse than it was due to our perimeter D being horrible..he had to step up and go after Barea every time..

the difference was that Duncan had Bowen in front of him, instead of having bad defenders allowing Barea to get a straight line to the basket, making Duncan come out, and allowing Dampier and others to get easy put backs..