PDA

View Full Version : If you could learn a second language...,

Jacob1983
04-21-2009, 01:29 AM
which language would you choose to learn? I ask this because I'm thinking about learning a second language for fun. I'm also curious about Rosetta Stone. Has anyone ever tried the software? I know it's expensive but is it worth? My top 3 languages that I would consider to learn would be Japanese, Arabic, and German. I just think it would be fun and interesting to try to learn a second language or at least the basics of another language.

Mugshot
04-21-2009, 01:39 AM
I already speak German as a second language. If I had to choose another, then it would probably be sign language.

Jekka
04-21-2009, 02:01 AM
I really hated Rosetta Stone - it only teaches you things in context, so you have to go through the whole damn program to learn how to form a coherent original thought. Example: you learn "boy" and "to swim", but you have no idea how to conjugate or do anything to say, "The boy swims." It just pissed me off, I didn't make it that far into the program consequently. I tried Latin on it, as well as German.

One of the best ways to casually pick up some vocab in another language is to watch foreign language film with the subtitles on in the original language, like a French movie with French subtitles - it visually reinforces what you hear.

I'd love to speak Greek and Latin.

Bukefal
04-21-2009, 03:37 AM
I'd love to learn Italian and French, although i knew French pretty well in high school, but forgot mostly of it now.

For now I can speak; English, German, Dutch, Macedonian, Serbo-Croatian, Bulgarian and a bit Greek.

sonic21
04-21-2009, 04:12 AM
I already speak English as a second language (my 1st language being french), i also speak spanish and i want to learn japanese.

smeagol
04-21-2009, 06:42 AM
English

SpursStalker
04-21-2009, 07:44 AM
I know a little German and Spanish, so I would love to be fluent in both.

marini martini
04-21-2009, 10:07 AM
I know a little German and Spanish, so I would love to be fluent in both.

Is that "little Geman's" name Kurt???
:lmao

SpursStalker
04-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Is that "little Geman's" name Kurt???
:lmao

:lol

Umm nope!!

Viva Las Espuelas
04-21-2009, 10:21 AM
i'd learn Latin.

ashbeeigh
04-21-2009, 10:47 AM
I'd learn...Italian or French. I already speak Spanish so speaking a third language would be cool.

mrsmaalox
04-21-2009, 10:50 AM
I suppose if I were going to learn another language, I'd go for something that's very marketable right now like Farsi.

IronMexican
04-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I know Spanish and English. A third language I'd probably want to learn is Korean or whatever language Iranian's speak. That way I know what they are saying when I'm in a Liquor Store or the Swapmeet.

Bukefal
04-21-2009, 10:55 AM
or whatever language Iranian's speak

That would be Farsi.

angel_luv
04-21-2009, 10:56 AM
I have tried learning French a couple of times. I wish I had a friend who spoke french to help me.

I want to go to Slovenia and learn Slovene. Then go to France and learn French. :)

Bukefal
04-21-2009, 11:03 AM
I have tried learning French a couple of times. I wish I had a friend who spoke french to help me.

I want to go to Slovenia and learn Slovene. Then go to France and learn French. :)

I thought you were Slovenian, hence the flag in your sig. Or are you, but you just dont know the language?

I can understand Slovenian very well, but speaking it is a bit harder.

mexicanjunior
04-21-2009, 11:11 AM
My Spanish is very sloppy and incoherent, so I'd want to refine it...

ploto
04-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Chinese- it is inevitable

angel_luv
04-21-2009, 11:18 AM
I thought you were Slovenian, hence the flag in your sig. Or are you, but you just dont know the language?

I can understand Slovenian very well, but speaking it is a bit harder.

I'm not Slovenian. I wish I were though. That would be so awesome!
How cool that you can understand the language. I cannot wait until I can.

Reason for the flag: It is in honor of the Slovenian National team and all my Slovenian friends. :)

angel_luv
04-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Chinese- it is inevitable

My mom has learned some Chinese since she began teaching over there.

Do you plan on visiting China someday?

IronMexican
04-21-2009, 11:19 AM
My Spanish is very sloppy and incoherent, so I'd want to refine it...

My Spanish isn't perfect, but it's good enough.

marini martini
04-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I suppose if I were going to learn another language, I'd go for something that's very marketable right now like Farsi.

I know Spanish and English. A third language I'd probably want to learn is Korean or whatever language Iranian's speak. That way I know what they are saying when I'm in a Liquor Store or the Swapmeet.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

SAtown
04-21-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm fluent in Spanish and English, currently learning Italian. Next is German then French

JudynTX
04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Pig Latin

SpursStalker
04-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Pig Latin

:lol

Jimcs50
04-21-2009, 12:14 PM
I would love to understand women.

FaithInOne
04-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Rosetta stone worked pretty well for me because it refreshed 3 yrs of high school spanish that I once knew but had totally forgotten.

I want to learn Latin once I can find it. :hat

Bukefal
04-21-2009, 12:20 PM
I would love to understand women.

:lmao lol, yeah, but im afraid that's impossible to learn . :downspin:

jack sommerset
04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Klingon. The language of a warrior. Hab SoSlI' Quch!

angel_luv
04-21-2009, 12:43 PM
:lmao lol, yeah, but im afraid that's impossible to learn . :downspin:

True. Some things are too wonderful to comprehend. :)

Jimcs50
04-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Like chocolate?

David Bowie
04-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Spanish. Gives you an edge a lot of the time when looking for a job.

angel_luv
04-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Like chocolate?

Well I certainly did not mean going to the dentist. :)

2Blonde
04-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Spanglish :toast

balli
04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Rosetta's cool. I learned a little latin a couple years back. I know a lot of spanish/italian and french. At some point, I'm going to take a couple years and get near fluent in Russian so I can read non-translated ruskie literature.

Borosai
04-21-2009, 11:02 PM
which language would you choose to learn? I ask this because I'm thinking about learning a second language for fun. I'm also curious about Rosetta Stone. Has anyone ever tried the software? I know it's expensive but is it worth? My top 3 languages that I would consider to learn would be Japanese, Arabic, and German. I just think it would be fun and interesting to try to learn a second language or at least the basics of another language.

I've been learning French on my own for a few years now, but very inconsistently (meaning I have taken long breaks without touching the books and I have forgotten nearly as much as I have retained). I started with a book/CD set and when I realized I didn't know enough to read a novel I had bought, I purchased a grammar workbook. After that, a podclass and Pimsleur. Now I just review verbs (book) and read and watch French television online. However, I still haven't had a conversation in French, which sucks, and although I know many words and plenty of grammar, I still haven't had the opportunity to bring it all together.

So, my point is: study, but also practice. Even if you don't understand everything, make sure you expose yourself to the language early and often. Movies are good, as well as music and whatever else you come across. A good side effect of learning another language is that you will learn more about languages in general, which should help you improve your native tongue (it encouraged me to review English and Spanish grammar).

As far as Rosetta Stone, I would never buy that simply because it is too restrictive. You need a computer and probably a specific operating system, right? If so, I personally think that's a waste of money (unless you don't mind being tied down like that). And regarding the languages, pick something you can see yourself actually using at some point. After I reach a comfortable level with French, I will start learning either Japanese (first choice) or Brazilian Portuguese (easiest to learn at this point). Arabic interests me as well.

Yes, I know it was too long.

Avitus1
04-22-2009, 01:39 AM
i'd learn latin.

+1

Rapper
04-22-2009, 03:34 AM
I am learning English as my fourth language

my first language is "Cantonese", have you guys ever heard this one?

my second is Mandarin ,the third being taiwanese

Rogue
04-22-2009, 06:38 AM
I am learning English as my fourth language

my first language is "Cantonese", have you guys ever heard this one?

my second is Mandarin ,the third being taiwanese
awesome excuse, your english speaking is awesome for a guy who learns it as a fourth language, I even used to think english was your third language. :lol

Extra Stout
04-22-2009, 08:44 AM
When my house was being rebuilt, I got a lot of Spanish practice.