PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Resign Sam Hurd

Spursfan092120
04-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Huge part of the offense for the 09-10 season...bank on it.

-- Cowboys Re-Sign Sam Hurd --
Mon Apr 20, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com
The Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys signed restricted free-agent WR Sam Hurd to his tender offer today. Hurd played in just three games in 2008 before landing on Reserve/Injured with a left ankle injury that required surgery.

http://www.ffmastermind.com/quickbits.php#160108

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Cool. He was looking good before that injury.

BUMP
04-21-2009, 10:30 AM
we still need to draft a WR in the 1st round.

Do you guys really trust a guy with 18 career catches (Austin) to be our #2?

Not to mention these guys have had problems staying healthy

spurs_50_21
04-21-2009, 10:54 AM
hurd sucks ,he will just drop ball like t.o

spurs_50_21
04-21-2009, 10:55 AM
crayton also sucks there 4th recivers not 2nd or 3rd

Dr. Gonzo
04-21-2009, 11:17 AM
The reason Hurd dropped so many balls is because of T.O. Don't you know by now that everything is T.O.'s fault and the Cowboys will be a 16-0 team without him?

SpuronyourFace
04-21-2009, 12:13 PM
I like Hurd, to bad he was injured last year. It will be interesting to see who will win the #2 spot, he or Austin. Its clear that Crayton is at his best at the slot position.

But really these guys are going to be the third target after Williams and Witten, the best TE in the league.

samikeyp
04-21-2009, 12:36 PM
:tu

ATRAIN
04-21-2009, 12:50 PM
The reason Hurd dropped so many balls is because of T.O. Don't you know by now that everything is T.O.'s fault and the Cowboys will be a 16-0 team without him?

:lol

mardigan
04-21-2009, 01:36 PM

No 1st round pick this year amigo.
Plus they are already seemingly focusing in on Brian Robiskie with there second round pick, and , might be trying to move up to assure themselves of getting him. He, along with Mcbath are two guys they really want.
As far as Austin, dude averaged 21 yards for everyone of those catches. And he looked real good for the amount of balls he had thrown his way. He might be pretty good given the opportunity.

Dr. Gonzo
04-21-2009, 02:19 PM
No 1st round pick this year amigo.
Plus they are already seemingly focusing in on Brian Robiskie with there second round pick, and , might be trying to move up to assure themselves of getting him. He, along with Mcbath are two guys they really want.
As far as Austin, dude averaged 21 yards for everyone of those catches. And he looked real good for the amount of balls he had thrown his way. He might be pretty good given the opportunity.

Joe Flacco averaged 43 yards per catch. He would be a real good WR given the opportunity.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 03:11 PM

Even if the Cowboys had a pick, you'd rather trust a guy with zero career catches coming out of college? That makes no sense. Hurd had one injury, it doesn't make him injury prone. Besides, you're assuming that Austin and Hurd are competing for #2. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them ends up competing with Williams for #2. Dropped balls aren't going to be a problem for the Cowboys with TO gone unless they end up acquiring Braylon Edwards.

jack sommerset
04-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Only to die hards know Sam Hurd. All you can do is hope he is good. I wish they would have got Holt.

to21
04-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Only to die hards know Sam Hurd. All you can do is hope he is good. I wish they would have got Holt.They should have.

Hurd has the ability, I'm still uneasy with this receiving core.

BUMP
04-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Even if the Cowboys had a pick, you'd rather trust a guy with zero career catches coming out of college? That makes no sense. Hurd had one injury, it doesn't make him injury prone. Besides, you're assuming that Austin and Hurd are competing for #2. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them ends up competing with Williams for #2. Dropped balls aren't going to be a problem for the Cowboys with TO gone unless they end up acquiring Braylon Edwards.

i know i keep forgetting we dont have a 1st round pick.

and none of them are competing with Williams for #2, he is already the unquestioned #1.

As far as trusting Austin, no way. he hasnt done anything except have a 100 yard game in Green Bay on only two catches. You're forgetting that Austin was an undrafted FA so yes i'd take a WR with zero catches if we can get him in the 2nd round.

Spursfan092120
04-23-2009, 05:51 PM

agreed..I think we need to trade up and get a good wideout, like Jeremy Maclin.

Spursfan092120
04-23-2009, 05:52 PM
I think Hurd will be a good #3 though, if we can't pick up a good wideout in the draft. The draft will be very interesting...

Horry For 3!
04-23-2009, 07:53 PM

Crayton is #2 right now and Austin is the #3 but by the middle of the season, it could be the other way around or Austin #2, Hurd #3.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2009, 01:24 AM
I don't think some of you remember how good Austin and Hurd looked last year before they got hurt. Both of them are likely to be better than Crayton.

BUMP
04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Austin will most likely be the #2 because Crayton is just better served as the slot man. He's been playing that his whole career.

agreed..I think we need to trade up and get a good wideout, like Jeremy Maclin.

I agree I think they should but word is that Jerry Jones has no intention to do so. With pick #51 i see Brian Robiske as the WR target but i think they will take a safety with that pick and get a WR in the later rounds such as Jarrett Dilliard or that Knox guy from ACU

manufan10
05-01-2009, 03:25 PM
From the looks of it Hurd and Austin have a lot of potential. However, now they have a lot of pressure to perform, and if they want to stay in this league, they better.

Spursfan092120
05-02-2009, 01:37 AM
All in all a good draft for the Boys. Manuel Johnson is going to surprise some people...Mickens is going to be huge...Buehler will be huge for the kickoff team...I like Hamlin and Smith too...Jason Williams will be good as well (wondering though of we needed a LB as our top pick)...Stephen Hodge and Stephen McGee could turn out good as well. I like McGee as a future QB for the Boys...and as a good Wildcat QB, should we try that route this year. I'm excited for the new season.

BUMP
05-02-2009, 01:26 PM
All in all a good draft for the Boys. Manuel Johnson is going to surprise some people...Mickens is going to be huge...Buehler will be huge for the kickoff team...I like Hamlin and Smith too...Jason Williams will be good as well (wondering though of we needed a LB as our top pick)...Stephen Hodge and Stephen McGee could turn out good as well. I like McGee as a future QB for the Boys...and as a good Wildcat QB, should we try that route this year. I'm excited for the new season.

It was an ok draft but i still don't see why we didn't trade up to get a better player.

Why would you not do that unless you think all 12 of these guys will make the team and contribute because there's no way that's happening. I do like the fact that we are stringing together some youth and getting rid of aging players. I'm guessing Ellis is gone soon because we drafted two OLB's.

The real headscratcher was Stephen McGee. Why would you take a guy with 2 TD's and 2 INT's, in an option offense, who barely played his senior season.

I'm worried about Manuel Johnson. From what i've heard about him from OU fans is that he has trouble staying on the field. The only thing I know about him what that he made a sick one-handed TD catch against Texas Tech with his injured arm but I was just laughing at that point because we were already down by 40 and I was just thinking you know its OU's night when stuff like that happens:lmao

Obstructed_View
05-02-2009, 09:40 PM
The real headscratcher was Stephen McGee. Why would you take a guy with 2 TD's and 2 INT's, in an option offense, who barely played his senior season.

I've wondered about that, too. Sometimes guys get drafted because they're good athletes and can do other things, plus the ability to throw makes them a good emergency QB. Maybe someone thinks he could be a decent WR down the road.

BUMP
05-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm in no way saying that the Cowboys should've drafted Harrell but all this athletic and potential stuff is BS.

How can a guy with a 2 TD 2 INT senior season, in an option offense, who barely even played be taken way above a guy with 45 TDs 9 INTs against top level competition?

Dr. Gonzo
05-02-2009, 10:13 PM
He probably wasn't drafted to be a QB. I

Obstructed_View
05-02-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm in no way saying that the Cowboys should've drafted Harrell but all this athletic and potential stuff is BS.

How can a guy with a 2 TD 2 INT senior season, in an option offense, who barely even played be taken way above a guy with 45 TDs 9 INTs against top level competition?

I didn't say that was the reason, but Scott Frost and Eric Crouch were the first thing I thought of when I heard McGee'd been drafted.

Besides, your question is misleading. McGee was supposed to be the QB when they transitioned from the option to an NFL style offense, but he got injured.

Major Applewhite was a better college QB than Chris Sims, too.

BUMP
05-02-2009, 10:40 PM
I didn't say that was the reason, but Scott Frost and Eric Crouch were the first thing I thought of when I heard McGee'd been drafted.

Besides, your question is misleading. McGee was supposed to be the QB when they transitioned from the option to an NFL style offense, but he got injured.

Major Applewhite was a better college QB than Chris Sims, too.

Yeah but they were both good QBs who put up similar stats

As seniors:

Harrell threw 45 TDs, McGee threw 2

Obstructed_View
05-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Yeah but they were both good QBs who put up similar stats

As seniors:

Harrell threw 45 TDs, McGee threw 2

That's awfully misleading. I suspect you actually know that. Chris Sims was a terrible college QB, but he had a pro arm.

BUMP
05-03-2009, 09:46 PM
That's awfully misleading. I suspect you actually know that. Chris Sims was a terrible college QB, but he had a pro arm.

Maybe he did, but if you took Major Applewhite over Chris Simms did you really lose out on all that much? Isn't Simms like 3rd string on the Titans now?

The point im trying to make is i dont see any case of drafting a guy who threw 2 touchdowns over someone who threw 45 against the SAME competition. A strong arm will only get you so far.

Obstructed_View
05-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Maybe he did, but if you took Major Applewhite over Chris Simms did you really lose out on all that much? Isn't Simms like 3rd string on the Titans now?

The point im trying to make is i dont see any case of drafting a guy who threw 2 touchdowns over someone who threw 45 against the SAME competition. A strong arm will only get you so far.

Sims is, and has always been, a complete mutton-head, and he still got Applewhite's job due to his arm. And prior to his spleen injury, he was looking like a legit NFL quarterback, something Applewhite was never going to be.

The point I'm trying to make is that just comparing their senior seasons is stupid, and that I wonder if they didn't draft McGee because he does other things in addition to throw the football. It may just be that Harrell's gimmick offense, poor mechanics and average arm are the reason nobody drafted him.

The Cowboys clearly gambled on two QBs hoping that one of them would play well enough to compete with free agents for th backup position on the Cowboys. If McGee doesn't make it as a quarterback, he's damn well better suited to play special teams.