PDA

View Full Version : Game 3

DPG21920
04-21-2009, 09:43 AM
This is the best chance for the Spurs to win in Dallas imo.
- There is 2 full days rest
- They have some nice momentum
- The defensive adjustments worked
- The offense is in rhythm

If they go in and win game 3, it puts a ton of pressure on the Mavs. The catch 22 is that this will be the toughest game of the series. The Mavs will be rested as well and they will have plenty of time to make their own adjustments.

It will be interesting to see how they adjust. Basically, the only way I can see them adjusting is to run some more stagger screens to get Terry open, cause switches to create mis-match iso's for Dirk and let Howard initiate more of the offense. Thing is, most of the adjustments will have to come in the form of decision making for the Mavs (better shot selection/recognition, ball movement and spacing).

They also have to find a new strategy against TP. I would be willing to bet that the strategy is to layoff and almost make it ridiculous to pass up the jumper with the space they give him.

That is why the game will be so tough for the Spurs. If the Mavs make those adjustments, even if the Spurs duplicate what they did in game 2, it will instantly make things tougher.

So even though I feel this will be the toughest game, if the Spurs can duplicate the focus and energy they had in game 2, it will be a winnable game, even with adjustments.

ElNono
04-21-2009, 09:46 AM
I agree Game 3 is the game to take. Not only because of the rest, but because it can also kill their spirits for game 4, knowing they have to beat us in SA again.
The counter for them is fairly simple. Be more aggressive. They played hard, but they didn't match the aggressiveness. JHo also needs to check back into the game, and I expect Carslile to try to do something to free up Dirk more. Couple that with a little home cookin' and it's going to be tough to win there.
That said, if Bowen plays like last night I think we have a great chance.

romain.star
04-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Stopping TP is the key for the Mavs.

Stop him, you're in semi-finals
don't you're out.... again

VBM
04-21-2009, 10:40 AM
I see some Timmy foul trouble coming. Hopefully Gooden won't be feeling too beat up from that fall he took in Game 2, because I think he'll def. see an increase in minutes in Dallas.

We just have to weather the storm in the first half. If we're within 5-8 points going into halftime, I think we'll be alright. Unfortunately, I also think Dirk finally shows up back home, so we'll def. have to be on our game.

spurs_50_21
04-21-2009, 11:14 AM
going to be a good game,i think we pull it out bye 5.

spursfaninla
04-21-2009, 11:41 AM
I think the next game is the last with significant adjustments. I don't think there is much either team can do differently.

If they lay off Parker, he will shoot many, many jump shots, and the question will be how many does he make.

But that does not solve his penetration. I think they will resort to harder fouls, but if the game is close, he will keep at it.

I predict Dirk going for 20+ FT's, but if our defense is good, we have a chance.

Jimcs50
04-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Spurs will win series. They have a bad habit of losing game on in first round at home.

In 03, thet lose first game at home to Dallas, come back to win game 2, then win one on Dallas and win series in 6.

In 05, they lose game 1 to Denver at home, win game 2, they win both in Denver to win in 5 games.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Spurs will win series. They have a bad habit of losing game on in first round at home.

In 03, thet lose first game at home to Dallas, come back to win game 2, then win one on Dallas and win series in 6.

In 05, they lose game 1 to Denver at home, win game 2, they win both in Denver to win in 5 games.

Same in '07 (again with Denver)

BUMP
04-21-2009, 12:29 PM
The game we have all been waiting for.

Its where the Spurs season ended in 06. ever since starting out 0-4 at home we are an ASTOUNDING 33-4 since. and its gonna be even louder in the playoffs and we're gonna get all the calls.

NO CHANCE!

Cry Havoc
04-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Spurs need to stay aggressive and get baskets in close all game long.

I want Parker going RIGHT at Dampier and make him commit that flagrant 2. Get him ejected, then let Duncan crush the Mavs in the post.

benefactor
04-21-2009, 12:31 PM
The Mavs will make their adjustments and between that and being on their floor it will be a much different story. That said, we know what we have to do. As long as we play defense like we did last night then we will be fine. Our game plan on both sides of the ball is a good one, we just need to stay focused.

Make the pass, rebound, close out on the shooter...win.

SenorSpur
04-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Totally agree - for all the reasons stated by the OP. There is a short turnaround for Game 4 and an afternoon start time.

SenorSpur
04-21-2009, 12:36 PM
The Mavs will make their adjustments and between that and being on their floor it will be a much different story. That said, we know what we have to do. As long as we play defense like we did last night then we will be fine. Our game plan on both sides of the ball is a good one, we just need to stay focused.

Make the pass, rebound, close out on the shooter...win.

..and not get careless with the ball. Keep down turnovers - PLEASE!

td4mvp21
04-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Well it's going to be a tough game but the good news is that the Spurs been in this situation before so they know what's at stake and how tough it will be. I don't really care if the Mavs beat us in Game 3 in 2006, the teams now are very different than in '06. I think as long as the Spurs bring their playoff intensity/defense they will be in good shape to win the game.