PDA

View Full Version : One in three children fear Earth apocalypse

DarrinS
04-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Sad.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/04/kids-worry-about-environment.php

There's a new bogeyman lurking in the closet, and this one isn't imaginary. Us. One out of three children aged 6 to 11 fears that Ma Earth won't exist when they grow up, while more than half—56 percent—worry that the planet will be a blasted heath (or at least a very unpleasant place to live), according to a new survey.

Commissioned by Habitat Heroes and conducted by Opinion Research, the telephone survey polled a national sample of 500 American preteens—250 males and 250 females.

On a sliding scale of anxieties, minority kids have it worst; 75 percent of black children and 65 percent of Hispanic children believe that the planet will be irrevocably damaged by the time they reach adulthood.

Interestingly enough, kids vex over the state of the planet, especially when it came to safe and clean air and water, regardless of any pro-environmental measures on the part of their parents. A staggering 95 percent of the children surveyed said their parents pitched in by recycling, using rechargeable batteries, and conserving water and electricity.

"We commissioned the survey as a result of my own childrens' experiences with the recent fires in Australia as they expressed much concern for both their safety and the planet’s,” said Sharon Lowe, founder of Habitat Heroes, in a press release. “While it is upsetting to hear how many children in the United States have expressed similar concerns, I am more committed than ever to help educate children around the globe in a way that is not scary to them.”

Other interesting findings
50 percent say that hurricanes and tornadoes are the natural disasters that scare them the most.
28 percent say that they fear animals, such as polar bears and penguins, will become extinct and disappear from the planet more than any other environmental concern.

Girls worry more
67 percent of girls ages 9-11 versus 60 percent of boys ages 9-11 worry that the earth won’t be as good a place to live when they're adults.
57% of girls ages 6-8 versus 43 percent of boys ages 6-8 worry that the earth won’t be as good a place to live when they're adults.
Urban kids are more anxious than suburban kids

59 percent of kids in metro areas are more concerned that the Earth won’t be as good a place to live when they grow up compared to non-metro kids (47 percent).

fyatuk
04-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Did they actually use the phrase "as good a place to live?" There are many things that could affect it under that phrasing other than environmental issues (such as violence, poverty, etc).

It wouldn't surprise me either way, but that is horrid phrasing if that is what they used, especially with kids.

JoeChalupa
04-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Well, and I don't want to turn this into a religious debate, I was channel surfing last night and I was on one of the religion channels and I'm not sure which one but there was preacher talking about the apocalypse and how all things are pointing to beginning of the end and that Obama has the makings of being the anti-Christ and so on which boggled my mind but I can see how many are having a doom and gloom look about the future. Not to mention all the bad news we hear on a daily basis. The mass killings we've all heard about and the missing children who more often than not end up dead.
The current wars that are being waged around the world and the threat of more nuclear weapons being added to the already massive destructive power cannot be something to look forward to.
Oh, it is not hard to believe that one in three children fear Earth apocalypse.

DarrinS
04-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Well, and I don't want to turn this into a religious debate, I was channel surfing last night and I was on one of the religion channels and I'm not sure which one but there was preacher talking about the apocalypse and how all things are pointing to beginning of the end and that Obama has the makings of being the anti-Christ and so on which boggled my mind but I can see how many are having a doom and gloom look about the future. Not to mention all the bad news we hear on a daily basis. The mass killings we've all heard about and the missing children who more often than not end up dead.
The current wars that are being waged around the world and the threat of more nuclear weapons being added to the already massive destructive power cannot be something to look forward to.

Maybe I misinterpreted it, but I thought these kids specifically feared environmental apocalypse -- you know, the Al Gore variety.

JoeChalupa
04-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Maybe I misinterpreted it, but I thought these kids specifically feared environmental apocalypse -- you know, the Al Gore variety.

No, you are correct. I just went off on a different angle.

Crookshanks
04-21-2009, 11:07 AM
They fear it because they are being brainwashed by our "wonderful" public schools. :(

JoeChalupa
04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
They fear it because they are being brainwashed by our "wonderful" public schools. :(

It all starts at home. But the blame it on the public schools argument always comes up. Take charge of your kids and be parents damnit!!!

DarkReign
04-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Would you classify a fear of global meltdown in the same category as fear of the Second Coming?

If not, then one could argue youve been indoctrinated by our "wonderful" religious leaders.

Just wondering where your bias starts and ends.

DarrinS
04-21-2009, 11:29 AM
I remember growing up in the 1970's and thinking we'd either be nuked by the Russians or we'd be up to our eyeballs in garbage by this time. Neither of those apocalyptic scenarios played out.

And remember that whole panic about the hole in the ozone layer above Antarctica? No one seems to worry about that anymore.

A good video.
YEJ5pHVKjiI

DarrinS
04-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Would you classify a fear of global meltdown in the same category as fear of the Second Coming?

If not, then one could argue youve been indoctrinated by our "wonderful" religious leaders.

Just wondering where your bias starts and ends.

I think teaching religious apocalypse is wrong too. But that is not a "mainstream" belief being propagated by a willing media.

Oh, Gee!!
04-21-2009, 11:31 AM

was raised southern baptist--I tossed and turned many nights as a child worrying about the apocalypse (as described in revelations).

DarrinS
04-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately, the current admin's Energy Secretary and chief science advisor are both environmental catastrophists.

td4mvp21
04-21-2009, 11:40 AM
was raised southern baptist--I tossed and turned many nights as a child worrying about the apocalypse (as described in revelations).

Me too.

Well, and I don't want to turn this into a religious debate, I was channel surfing last night and I was on one of the religion channels and I'm not sure which one but there was preacher talking about the apocalypse and how all things are pointing to beginning of the end and that Obama has the makings of being the anti-Christ and so on which boggled my mind but I can see how many are having a doom and gloom look about the future.

Yeah those channels are full of nutjobs. They are ALWAYS talking about the end of the world, they have been for over a decade now. I remember walking in my dad's room on Sunday mornings before church and one of the channels going on about how the end of the world was near and coming in the 21st century, etc. They will literally point their finger at everything and make it into a "sign". It really is too much doom and gloom and I don't understand why those people live their lives to talk about it.

I think it's pretty sad that kids fear the end of the world so much. They need to be carefree, as its the only time of their lives in which they will be able to be like that.

Extra Stout
04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
The message of impending ecological doom is constantly being beaten into those kids' heads. How could they not be anxious about it?

FaithInOne
04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
oh great, more assholes to hoard ammo :depressed

DarkReign
04-21-2009, 12:04 PM
I think teaching religious apocalypse is wrong too. But that is not a "mainstream" belief being propagated by a willing media.

Say that again with a straight face.

The Second Coming is the most popular end-times scenario in this country, end of story.

Take a poll, do whatever...more people believe God is coming back with a vengence than others who believe we are going to have a ecological meltdown.

Set your watch and warrant on it.

BTW, it isnt so much that I give a shit one way or the other, tbqh. Its just the two-tounged approach of some of the downcasters that makes me giggle. You cant condemn one end-times scenario as babble while believing wholeheartedly in another.

Because really, youre just competing with other zealots for domain over the end of the world and whose scare tactics will be the most effective in their bid for control.

One could also argue that global warming/cooling at least has a scientific debate, while the other is just a generationally accepted fairy tale.

That was more my point. I dont know jack-shit about global warming and really, I'll never need to. Nor do I know about the Second Coming, because I dont need that information either.

Heads Up! Big conclusion coming! Humanity is going to kill itself off at the end of a barrel or an ICBM loooooooong before God gets numb-ass in His throne or the global tidal wave lands on our shores. Sorry to burst your control bubble (not necessarily aimed at you anymore Darrin).

Winehole23
04-21-2009, 12:18 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6650219631867189375

Marcus Bryant
04-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Another benefit of growing up in a mainline Protestant denomination.

Anyways, excessive appeals to emotion should serve as a warning sign for the latest leftist cause du jour.

DarrinS
04-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Say that again with a straight face.

Well, the religious version isn't being touted as a scientific "consensus". How's that?

Take a poll, do whatever...more people believe God is coming back with a vengence than others who believe we are going to have a ecological meltdown.

That may be true. I believe in neither scenario. Ironically, both scenarios rely on faith.

Heads Up! Big conclusion coming! Humanity is going to kill itself off at the end of a barrel or an ICBM loooooooong before God gets numb-ass in His throne or the global tidal wave lands on our shores. Sorry to burst your control bubble (not necessarily aimed at you anymore Darrin).
[/QUOTE]

:lmao

It's puts the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again.

DarkReign
04-21-2009, 12:25 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6650219631867189375

Man, how do you retain all this shit?

You come up with some of the more off-the-wall, but highly competent comparisons around here.

I had to google Lorax as I dont have 25mins to blow on the video. :lol

DarrinS
04-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Remember all the apocalyptic movies from the 70's?

Planet of the Apes
Omega Man
Soilent Green

Strangely enough, Charlton Heston in all three.

DarrinS
04-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Omega Man somewhat copied in the Will Smith movie, Legend.

DarkReign
04-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Well, the religious version isn't being touted as a scientific "consensus". How's that?

One has scientific basis, the other does not.

Youre right though, there is certainly no consensus, but at the very least the proponents stand on some amount of scientific data as to not be laughed out of the field out of hand.

I would say global warming has held up better to more scientific criticism than Ragnarök/ the Apocalypse has. To be clear, I am not saying that global warming has withstood more scientific scrutiny by volume (because there is no book more scrutinized than the Bible and second place might as well be last), but that global warming has withstood its criticism better.

One is provable to be either true or false, the other an issue of faith. What weight that gives one over the other is irrelevant to its preponderance in society.

FaithInOne
04-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Omega Man somewhat copied in the Will Smith movie, Legend.

They were both based on the same book, I Am Legend.

The book is 100000000x better than that Will Smith trash.

DarrinS
04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
They were both based on the same book, I Am Legend.

The book is 100000000x better than that Will Smith trash.

I wasn't aware of that. Also, my prev post was dyslexic. I was trying to say "I am Legend" copied "Omega Man", but, I was wrong anyway.

But I agree, the Will Smith version was pretty lame.

Winehole23
04-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Man, how do you retain all this shit?In this case, from my own childhood. I watched a little tube in the 1970's.

clambake
04-21-2009, 03:07 PM
i fear one in three children.