PDA

View Full Version : Jim Gray...LOL

duncan2k5
03-21-2005, 04:54 AM
he makes me laugh. i really think a lot of ppl in the L dont like him. whenever he interviews Pop, Pop always have a smart alecky, yet obvious answer to his questions. and pop doesnt look to thrilled when he has to talk to him. Duncan even looked like he wanted no part of Jim in the interview. but he really does ask some dumb questions. today he asked Pop "what are you gonna do now that Duncan is injured?" and Pop looked at him with his "Pop look" and said "play other people" in a way that made me crack up. he also asked timmy "does it hurt?" :lol when he was walkin on crutches. do any of you have any "Gray" moments that you remember? there was another one with Pop earlier this year that was classic but i forgot.

baseline bum
03-21-2005, 05:15 AM
My favorite Jim Gray moment was in the 98 (?) ALCS when some scrub on the Yankees got a game-winning hit and then told Gray live on national tv that he wasn't going to speak to him out of respect for Pete Rose (if you don't remember, baseball had a huge ceremony for its all-time greats one all-star game, and on live tv Gray asked Rose if he bet on baseball).

Tom_Foolery
03-21-2005, 05:24 AM
My favorite Jim Gray moment was in the 98 (?) ALCS when some scrub on the Yankees got a game-winning hit and then told Gray live on national tv that he wasn't going to speak to him out of respect for Pete Rose (if you don't remember, baseball had a huge ceremony for its all-time greats one all-star game, and on live tv Gray asked Rose if he bet on baseball).

Yeah, he is a goon.

I remember when that Pistons/Pacers fight happened, Jim Gray was so shaken up, you could hear him getting choked up while talking, he sounded like a little boy trying to sing going through puberty(like that Brady episode).

Funny stuff, my girlfriends was like, "what happened? did somebody die?"

Bill Walton was the funniest though. While everyone was slugging everyone and chairs were being thrown, Bill Walton says in such a patient authoritarian voice, "This is a disgrace". It was funny, it was like he was watching kids at the playground or something.

Bill Walton makes me laugh. I keep laughing whenever he says, "Throw it down, big fella!"

duncan2k5
03-21-2005, 05:33 AM
yea bill is too funny. i like his "that was the worst ___________ in NBA history" moments

Kaster
03-21-2005, 06:04 AM
He needs to be shot and hung.

Supergirl
03-21-2005, 09:40 AM
the announcers said it best after Gray was chasing Duncan out to the car - they said something about Duncan looking like he was going to hit him with the crutch if he didn't get out of there.

Shelly
03-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Jim Gray was probably that annoying kid that everyone hated in school. He probably got shoved in a locker once or twice during his school years.

Last year during a Portland game, he asked Mo Cheeks the most ridiculous question (I don't remember what it was) and the look Cheeks gave him was priceless.

When I think of Jim Gray, I'm reminded of that Mad Magazine bit "Snappy comebacks to Stupid Questions"

IX_Equilibrium
03-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Gray is a moron

jalbre6
03-21-2005, 10:39 AM
This is WAY too fucked up.
http://www.foxnews.com/photo_essay/photoessay_198_images/jimgraygrrr.jpg
Grrr! Star No. 2,280
Tuesday, March 15, 2005
By Mike Straka

Foxlight: Shame on the Walk of Fame
I bet you're wondering what the heck "Star No. 2,280" is.

Let me enlighten you.

In what can only be described as a head-scratching, Grrring, you've-got-to-be-kidding-me kind of moment on the famous Hollywood Walk of Fame, (search) it's the spot where sportscaster Jim Gray now has a star.

"What's that?" you say. Jim Gray has a star on the Walk of Fame?

Yup, you heard me right. ABC Sports' Gray, the notorious ambush artist best known for irking Pete Rose at a baseball game a few years ago, and the guy most recently banned by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban from interviewing any Mavs players or coaches after a live broadcast last week — is now among the great actors and entertainers who line Hollywood Boulevard — a list that includes the likes of James Dean and Marilyn Monroe.

Cuban has demanded an apology from Gray on his http://www.blogmaverick.com Weblog, feeling that Gray was trying to set up Maverick player Dirk Nowitzki with a question on live television about former teammate Steve Nash — misquoting Cuban in the process.

When I asked Cuban about Gray getting his own star, he said: "Who cares?"

Appropriately, Gray's star number 2,280 lies across the street from the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum (search).

According to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Web site, the criteria for being nominated for a star are threefold: 1. Professional achievement, 2. Longevity of five years in the field of entertainment and 3. Contributions to the community.

Oh yeah, the recipient must also agree to attend the unveiling of the star ceremony.

Based on those terms, even Seacrest Out is qualified for his own star. Oh wait, has it been five years of Ryan Seacrest yet? It sure feels like a lifetime (let me qualify a bit — now that "AI" is in its live format, Seacrest is good).

Ah, but it can't be that easy to get your star, so here comes the rub. There is a sponsorship fee of $15,000 (made payable to the Hollywood Historic Trust) before anyone can receive a star.

Which makes one wonder ... who put up the 15 Gs for Gray?

Look, we all have egos, but fortunately for most of us, we have people in our lives (spouses, agents, bosses) who do well to keep our egos in check.

As far as other sports broadcasters go, Vin Scully (an L.A. legend), Chick Hearn (another L.A. legend), Dick Enberg (a legend period) and Al Michaels (who has at least appeared in films like "Jerry Maguire") also have stars on the Walk of Fame.

They deserve those spots, particularly the local L.A. guys.

But Jim Gray? He should have a star on the Walk of Fame as much as I should get one for this column.

Dex
03-21-2005, 10:42 AM
I wanted to see Tim clock him with one of his crutches yesterday.

Seriously, the guy is struggling to get through a crowded hallway on two crutches and a badly sprained ankle, and Gray has the audacity to shove a microphone in his face and ask dumbass questions like, "How is it, Tim?" and "Does it hurt?"

That's like asking a fire victim, "Was the fire hot? Did it burn?"

Learn to form a conclusion based on context, you asshat.

SpursFanInAustin
03-21-2005, 11:02 AM
I remember Jim Grey when he worked for CBS, and was covering the Pirates and Braves in the 1992 NLCS, and followed Barry Bonds before he entered the Pirates clubhouse and asked Bonds, "Barry, could you talk about the slump you're going through right now in the postseason?" and Bonds looked back at him and responded, "What slump?" Grey followed up with "Well Barry, you're 3 for your last 25 at-bats, and have yet to drive in a run." Bonds continued with "What slump? I don't see any slump!" And then Bonds walked into the clubhouse and left Jim Grey just standing outside with his question unanswered. The funniest moment of that series was after the series when Deion Sanders threw that bucket of water at Tim McCarver in the locker room.