PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Have Home-Court Advantage, But There's Plenty To Worry About

duncan228
04-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Dallas Mavericks have home-court advantage, but there’s plenty to worry about (http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1328640.html)
By Randy Galloway

SAN ANTONIO — Get away with it once, and you’re lucky. But a second time? No way, with the same circumstance, could a win happen a second time here Monday night.

The Dallas Mavericks stole the first game of this playoff series despite an anemic scoring output from the duo of Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry. Those offensive guns were limited to 31 combined points 48 hours earlier.

Let the Game 2 blowout win by the Spurs, 105-84, tell the main story. But allow the details of a 22-point San Antonio lead after three quarters serve as the nuts and bolts. At that point, Dirk and Jet had 24 combined points on 6-of-22 shooting.

With all the between-games talk of "adjustments" by Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, there was one thing he wasn’t going to change. Take out Nowitzki and Terry again, and the Mavericks will eventually suffer.

Suffer they did in Game 2.

Yes, the Mavs got what they wanted to start this playoff series. A split on the road.

But even with home sweet home coming up next, starting Thursday night in downtown Dallas, there are clouds of concern building for the Mavericks.

If Dirk and Jet don’t get going, breaking the Pop defensive claw, there will be nothing sweet about home. Their numbers in the two games here were hideous. Nowitzki was a combined 10-of-29 (3-of-14 on Monday night); Terry a combined 10-of-23

The third scoring option, Josh Howard, went backward Monday night from his highly productive Game 1. He ended up this time 3-of-8.

Again, these are not the mighty Spurs of old. This is a limping team, minus a star in Manu Ginobili, and with Tim Duncan playing on gimpy knees. There was much local bashing of the Spurs after Game 1. Plenty of disgust from a spoiled fandom about it being a team that looked old, tired and slow in Game 1.

But old, tired and slow wasn’t the case this time.

Again, a road split to open a playoff series is a definite positive, but Pop knows defense. And although Nowitzki has burned Pop in past seasons, the coach obviously has a good formula in place this time, at least based on the first two games.

Mainly, the Spurs responded to a must-win situation in Game 2, and their energy right from the start Monday night indicated as much. The Mavericks were rope-a-doping, trying to survive the early Spurs storm they knew was coming.

That silver-and-black energy was a Game 2 given. There’s too much championship pedigree and too much pride for Parker-Duncan-Pop and Co. not to have an immediate response after having been jolted in this playoff series opener.

Tony Parker, in particular, took a verbal lashing across this city and across this country, and maybe even in the homeland of France, after being San Juaned on Saturday by the little man from the little island, J.J. Barea.

Parker, it figured, would come out like a hurricane. If you’re from Puerto Rico, like J.J., you know hurricanes.

So it was as Game 2 started. Parker was blowing and going. He had an incredible 19 first-quarter points after hitting nine of his first 10 shots. The Mavericks, as a team, went 6-of-15 in the quarter, for, yes, the same 19 points.

All that Parker damage came before Barea even got in the game. By the second quarter, the Mavs were down 21.

At that point, the choices were obvious for the visitors. Hold or fold.

The road win that was needed was in the bag. Was it time to go home or go hostile?

A rather bogus flagrant foul could be termed as hostile when Terry hip-checked Parker on his way to the basket in the second quarter, knocking down the Frenchman. Popovich, from the bench, had some choice words for Terry, something about momma and them.

By halftime, however, the Mavs were not dead. They had trimmed the intermission deficit to 11. Early in the third quarter it was down to nine. Hey, watch this. Suddenly, the Spurs fandom was very nervous.

Then, however, the Spurs reeled off 13 straight points, the lead was 22, and it got worse. By late in the third quarter, the only consolation for the Mavericks was the haven of home coming up in Game 3.

But there is also worry attached.

Where’s Dirk? Where’s Jet?

They were MIA in San Antonio. Somebody put out an APB, pronto.

DPG21920
04-21-2009, 01:08 PM
He does eat bullets for breakfast.

Bartleby
04-21-2009, 01:20 PM
A rather bogus flagrant foul could be termed as hostile when Terry hip-checked Parker on his way to the basket in the second quarter, knocking down the Frenchman.

Bogus? How is a hip-check not a flagrant foul?

1Parker1
04-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Popovich, from the bench, had some choice words for Terry, something about momma and them.

:lol Hmm, I didn't think Pop talked like that to opposing players...

G-Nob
04-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Grandpaw Urine knows nothing about basketball.

buttsR4rebounding
04-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Bogus? How is a hip-check not a flagrant foul?

Only a real wimp would call a hip-check a flagrant foul.

Robert Horry:dizzy

thekingrobert
04-21-2009, 03:30 PM
that should have been the 2nd flagrant foul of the day the first wasnt called on Dampier when he fouled Parker and clearly wasnt going for the ball

MoSpur
04-21-2009, 04:05 PM
I really wish I knew what Pop yelled out to Terry.

41times
04-21-2009, 04:15 PM
I really wish I knew what Pop yelled out to Terry.

What were Pop and JWeed yukking it up about prior to that inbound pass?

and speaking of yelling, did you see Pop yelling at whoever was supposed to be out gaurding Barea when he made that 3 pt shot. Man i thought Pop was going to explode.

All funny stuff.

VBM
04-21-2009, 04:17 PM
What were Pop and JWeed yukking it up about prior to that inbound pass?

and speaking of yelling, did you see Pop yelling at whoever was supposed to be out gaurding Barea when he made that 3 pt shot. Man i thought Pop was going to explode.

All funny stuff.

Pop was going after Bowen. A lesser man would have curled up in a fetal position right there on the court

lurker
04-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Popovich, from the bench, had some choice words for Terry, something about momma and them.Oh snap, Pops breaking out the yo momma material.

colargol
04-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Pop was going after Bowen. A lesser man would have curled up in a fetal position right there on the court

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Morg1411
04-21-2009, 04:38 PM
I really like that Pop went after Bowen like that. It means he's in full Playoff mentality.

"Do it right or die!!!"

Summers
04-21-2009, 04:40 PM
I thought they called it a flagrant because of the shoulder or elbow by ________ (can't remember) after the hip check.

jack sommerset
04-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Noway Spews claim game 3. Only hope is game 4 to get back in series. I REALLY doubt they can do that. I think you saw this last shot fired by the old broken down Spews.

That game also showed the Mavs donot have what it takes to beat the Lakers or Nuggets. They had the Spews by the balls and let the lil faggot run crazy to the basket. Dampier should have laid his ass out the 2nd time he came in there and not talking about it after the game when he went in there a shitload. Mavs showed very little effort durning that game.

Morg1411
04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Noway Spews claim game 3. Only hope is game 4 to get back in series. I REALLY doubt they can do that. I think you saw this last shot fired by the old broken down Spews.

That game also showed the Mavs donot have what it takes to beat the Lakers or Nuggets. They had the Spews by the balls and let the lil faggot run crazy to the basket. Dampier should have laid his ass out the 2nd time he came in there and not talking about it after the game when he went in there a shitload. Mavs showed very little effort durning that game.

Spell check. Get it. Love it. And for fuck's sake, USE IT!!!!

ulosturedge
04-21-2009, 06:15 PM
I thought they called it a flagrant because of the shoulder or elbow by ________ (can't remember) after the hip check.

Yeah I thought it was a shoulder too. Shoulder and elbow into his hip I guess. IMO the flagrant was called more on the fact that there was no attempt on the ball what so ever rather then the severity of the foul itself. The fact that it was a deliberate malicous attempt to do harm on an opposing player. Jason Terry couldn't face the fact that Parker was owning him along with everyone else on the Mavs team.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-21-2009, 06:22 PM
re "hip check" -- jesus did this guy watch the game? It was a shoulder/upper-arm shot to the body, like a safety would hit a wide receiver with after he caught the ball. And it was clearly deliberate and premeditated. Terry even said in an interview that they decided to put Parker "on his back". IMO it should be upgraded to a Flagrant 2 and he should get tossed from the next game. If they can suspend Bowen for the tiny crap he did, they've got to suspend Terry.

re the next game: it is huge. If the Spurs win they regain HCA, and more importantly they go up 2-1 and get a big cushion. Even if they happen to lose 2 of the next 3 they still get game 7 at home. OTOH if the Mavs win they not only hold HCA, they are in the driver's seat threatening to win in 5 or 6, and game 4 becomes an absolute must win for the Spurs. There's a lot at stake in game 3 of any series tied 1-1.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Dampier should have laid his ass out the 2nd time he came in there

You knuckle-dragger. This is basketball, not thug-ball. Stop watching and go find something else to drool at.

Spursmania
04-21-2009, 06:31 PM

:jack

Spursmania
04-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Spell check. Get it. Love it. And for fuck's sake, USE IT!!!!

Better yet just tell him to STFU.:lol