PDA

View Full Version : Police Expects "Militant Greeks And Russians" At Euroleague F4

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-21-2009, 03:54 PM
http://www.ballineurope.com/european-basketball/euroleague/police-expect-riots-for-euroleague-final-four/

Police expect riots for Euroleague Final Four

Police in Berlin are planning for the worse and expect militant fans from Greece and Russia to possibly cause rioting at the Euroleague Final Four from May 1-3 in the German capital.

May 1 is Labour Day in Germany and riots traditionally break out in a number of cities throughout the country - including Berlin - as demonstrations have been known to get out of control.

And now Berlin police officials are coming up with extra security plans for the Euroleague Final Four. And the fact that fans from Greece and Russia will be coming to the basketball spectacle has German authorities worried.

“We will have to wait and see,” police spokesman Frank Millert said in the German newspaper TAZ.

The Berlin daily Tagesspiegel said the o2-World arena is in talks with police about extra security officials for the event. It added that exact plans are scheduled to be completed later this week.

The Berlin paper added that the German capital could have the feeling of a big football match with a number of police officials with police dogs at train stations and on the streets while authorities in civilian dress will be observing known hooligans.

While Russian fans of CSKA Moscow are a cause for alarm for the German police, the biggest concern for police is Olympiacos facing fierce rivals Panathinaikos in the semifinals on May 1. Panathinaikos was fined 14,500 euros after their fans lit flares inside the arena, used laser pointers and threw objects onto the court. The Tagesspiegel noted that supporters of the opposing teams for years have not been allowed into the arenas of the rivals for security reasons, and that a fan died in 2007 in a game between the two clubs’ women’s volleyball teams.

Berlin on Monday night was the site of some 100 left-extremists rioting in protest of the NATO summit with cars being set afire and Molotov cocktails and stones being thrown at buildings. The Berlin head of the German police union, Bodo Pfalzgraf, said he was worried about the near future, telling the Berlin Morgenpost: “Hopefully, May 1 will not be as heated as the signs show.”

Besides the Final Four’s semifinals, Berlin on May 1 will also be hosting 25 events having to do with Labour Day. Most of them are anti-right extremism or anti-capitalism in nature, including registered demonstrations with names like “Revolutionary May 1 Demonstration” at Oranienplatz and “Capitalism is crisis and war” at Kottbusser Tor. There is also a demo registered titled “Abolish capitalism” from 2-10:30 p.m. at Boxhagener Platz in Friedrichshain - not far from the o2 World arena.

And the federal executive board of the pan-German nationalist and right extremist party NPD is planning to mobilize its members for a rally at Mandrellaplatz in Köpenick.

:blah:rollin:ihit

SAtown
04-21-2009, 03:56 PM
That's pretty terrible. Hopefully they don't ruin Euro bball like the Euros have ruined Euro football. Security is tighter at the entrance to the San Siro than any airport in USA.

phyzik
04-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Americans expect "No one gives a fuck" about the shitty Euroleague.

sook
04-21-2009, 04:47 PM
I vote for this mug to get pinked

ginobili's bald spot
04-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Americans expect "No one gives a fuck" about the shitty Euroleague.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure why you have the fucking event if you're expecting a riot. As much as I love the NBA, if the fans acted that way, I'd be pushing to have the sport banned or the league dissolved. If nothing else the game should be cancelled and the fans told "if you can't act like grownups, you won't have a sport to watch."

der Kaiser
04-21-2009, 05:53 PM
^^ because you are a Pussy.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-21-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm not sure why you have the fucking event if you're expecting a riot. As much as I love the NBA, if the fans acted that way, I'd be pushing to have the sport banned or the league dissolved. If nothing else the game should be cancelled and the fans told "if you can't act like grownups, you won't have a sport to watch."

Why? Part of fun is the rivalry. Why take this away from the fans?

Obstructed_View
04-21-2009, 06:33 PM
^^ because you are an adult.

Bob Lanier
04-23-2009, 02:52 PM
1/3 των βουλευτών είναι ομοφυλόφιλοι και έχουν επιβήτορες Αλβανούς.

samikeyp
04-23-2009, 02:54 PM

If you can't have fun in a rivalry without rioting, then you have a problem.

TwinTowers
04-23-2009, 03:10 PM
The Tagesspiegel noted that supporters of the opposing teams for years have not been allowed into the arenas of the rivals for security reasons, and that a fan died in 2007 in a game between the two clubs’ women’s volleyball teams.

So the chance of someone being killed over a game is fun to you... man you're psycho

Bukefal
04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
KBP, Rivalry is a great thing, keeps fun in the game, and supporting. But, certain european fanbases are taking it too far. especially the ones at our part of europe, the balkans, Red Star Belgrade fans (Delije), Partizan Belgrade fans (Grobari) and of course olympiakos and panathinaikos. The violence with these fanbases is huge, people molesting other people, bombs, guns to the games, that's absurd and that should really change, that has nothing to do with the sport, nor with supporting and rivalry.

So of course they are taking measures, and i think its a good thing. We dont need riots in basketball, we are here for the game, not for fights. and certain people of those fanbase dont give a shit about the sport, they just want to fight and vandalize

I remember one tennis game some while ago. There are never any riots or hooligans at tennis games in the world. And who manages to riot at a tennis game? We! Balkan people! We are cursed, I tell you :downspin:

Bukefal
04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
1/3 των βουλευτών είναι ομοφυλόφιλοι και έχουν επιβήτορες Αλβανούς.

lol :lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Hopefully they don't ruin Euro bball

What's there to ruin?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-23-2009, 06:25 PM
If you can't have fun in a rivalry without rioting, then you are an Eastern European nutjob

fixed.

Summers
04-23-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm sure KBP will find a way to defend and take pride in this violent behavior and call us all fucking idiots for not being impressed with it.