PDA

View Full Version : Kidd's Decision Elevated Parker, Spurs

duncan228
04-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Kidd's decision elevated Parker, Spurs (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/dmoore/stories/042209dnspomoore.34b655d.html)
David Moore
Dallas Morning News

The next time Tony Parker scores more points in the first eight minutes of a game than Dirk Nowitzki does all evening, blame Jason Kidd.

The next time the San Antonio guard splits a double-team, then darts through and around four defenders for an uncontested lay-up, ask yourself what Kidd was thinking.

He has.

This isn't about Kidd's defense. No one in a Mavericks uniform played much of that in the Game 2 loss.

It's about a decision Kidd made nearly six years ago.

Days after San Antonio beat New Jersey for the second of its four titles, Kidd hit the free-agent market. The Spurs lusted after him the way teenage boys once did for Britney Spears. The club put him up at a Hill Country resort and hired a private chef for his visit.

Why pursue Kidd? The Spurs weren't convinced their young player, Tony Parker, was really a point guard. Coach Gregg Popovich benched Parker for Speedy Claxton in the fourth quarter of the last two games of the Finals.

Kidd wrestled with the decision but stayed with the Nets.

"It may be a silly excuse, but I wanted to try to win a championship on my own, and we had that opportunity in New Jersey," Kidd said. "Then, the Nets went in a whole different direction.

"San Antonio did everything right. I just didn't make the right decision at the time."

Does that mean he now wishes he had joined Tim Duncan and Co.?

"Well, they've won two championships since then," Kidd said. "I might have had a ring by now."

Kidd is not one to dwell on this what-could-have-been scenario. Neither am I. But watching Parker in the first two games of this series, it's hard not to take a brief, flight of fancy.

The Spurs wanted to turn Parker into a shooting guard and play him and Kidd together. Does Parker look like a shooting guard to you? Take the ball out of his hands and you squander his greatest skill.

Parker would have been just another player if the Spurs had landed Kidd. That's if he stayed. Parker probably would have been traded.

Where would the Spurs be now without him?

I don't want to get into the argument about whether Parker is now San Antonio's best player.

But consider this: Duncan scored 13 points in Monday night's game, and the Spurs won by 21. Do the Spurs win any game in this series if Parker scores only 13 points?

No way.

With Duncan's creaky knees and Manu Ginobili's absence, everything in San Antonio's offense – everything – revolves around Parker's ability to break down defenses and score. If the Spurs do advance to the second round for the ninth consecutive season, Parker will be the driving force more than Duncan.

"I mean, he's carried the load for those guys," Kidd said. "He can score or find the open guy. He puts a lot of pressure on you defensively.

"There are so many great players in this league, and he probably could be considered for first-team All-NBA. I think he's had a heck of a year."

Kidd is glad he found his way back to Dallas. He doesn't fantasize about wearing a Spurs uniform. His only thoughts now are how he and the Mavericks can beat San Antonio.

But if Kidd's decision had been different six years ago, would Parker even be in a San Antonio uniform today?

It's something to think about the next time Parker explodes in this series.

timvp
04-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Interesting article. Good find :tu

"San Antonio did everything right. I just didn't make the right decision at the time."

Does that mean he now wishes he had joined Tim Duncan and Co.?

"Well, they've won two championships since then," Kidd said. "I might have had a ring by now." No way. To make room for Kidd's contract, the Spurs would have had to let both Parker and Ginobili eventually walk. Add the fact that Kidd was slowed for while due to needing microfracture surgery and if Kidd would have signed, Duncan probably would have left and the Spurs would no longer be in San Antonio.

Missing out on Kidd turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to the Spurs. The only thing that could compare is missing out on Chris Webber a few years earlier.

Spursfan092120
04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Hell yeah..it's his own damn fault he'll never get that ring. :)

scanry
04-21-2009, 09:30 PM

No way. To make room for Kidd's contract, the Spurs would have had to let both Parker and Ginobili eventually walk. Add the fact that Kidd was slowed for while due to needing microfracture surgery and if Kidd would have signed, Duncan probably would have left and the Spurs would no longer be in San Antonio.

Missing out on Kidd turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to the Spurs. The only thing that could compare is missing out on Chris Webber a few years earlier.

wasn't Duncan cheer leading at that resort? I'm pretty sure Duncan wanted Kidd bad.

timvp
04-21-2009, 09:35 PM
wasn't Duncan cheer leading at that resort? I'm pretty sure Duncan wanted Kidd bad.Yeah, Duncan was actually the one who wanted Kidd the most. Not Pop or RC. Duncan didn't like Parker or Ginobili at that point.

But yeah, all Duncan cares about are championships. With Kidd injured and the talent purged from the team, he would have used one of his many contract openings to go to a real contender.

Ghazi
04-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Does he still have those contract openings?

Duncan/Dirk frontline = greatness :smokin

duncan228
04-21-2009, 09:43 PM
But yeah, all Duncan cares about are championships. With Kidd injured and the talent purged from the team, he would have used one of his many contract openings to go to a real contender.

I also think he would have left if the Spurs weren't contenders. He's loyal, but he's all about winning. He thought about it real hard with Orlando. If he hadn't had the '99 Title already he might have gone. I've got a quote somewhere...

Duncan/Dirk frontline = greatness :smokin

Duncan will retire when this contract is up. Don't get your hopes up. :lol

timvp
04-21-2009, 10:05 PM

Duncan/Dirk frontline = greatness :smokinGood idea.

Oberto, Vaughn and a six month rental of one of the four (4) trophies for Dirk.

scanry
04-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Good idea.

Throw in Bonner and we'll take Josh Howard off their hands.

Strike
04-21-2009, 10:29 PM
I couldn't believe the Spurs were going after Kidd. It was insanity in my mind. I never liked the idea and when people tried to tell me Parker wouldn't be a great point guard my response was always the same: Wait and see.

It's nice to be right. :downspin:

Buddy Holly
04-21-2009, 11:49 PM
and if Kidd would have signed, Duncan probably would have left and the Spurs would no longer be in San Antonio.

Was this tongue-in-cheek?

ezau
04-21-2009, 11:54 PM
I couldn't believe the Spurs were going after Kidd. It was insanity in my mind. I never liked the idea and when people tried to tell me Parker wouldn't be a great point guard my response was always the same: Wait and see.

It's nice to be right. :downspin:

Six years ago, Kidd was the best point guard in the planet. Six years ago, Parker was just taking his baby steps into the league. It makes sense back then for the Spurs to want Kidd. Then again, if you can call not getting Kidd a lucky break for the Spurs, then you should. :flag:

dbreiden83080
04-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Kidd's decision to stay in NJ made no sense whatsoever. They were offering basically the same money. They were coming off a championship. Tim Duncan was right in the prime of his career, coming off a League MVP and Finals MVP. If Kidd was about rings, SA was the obvious choice. I love Tony and i'm glad Kidd didn't come, we didn't need him but he fucked up by not coming, that's for sure..

Kori Ellis
04-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Kidd's decision to stay in NJ made no sense whatsoever. They were offering basically the same money. They were coming off a championship. Tim Duncan was right in the prime of his career, coming off a League MVP and Finals MVP. If Kidd was about rings, SA was the obvious choice. I love Tony and i'm glad Kidd didn't come, we didn't need him but he fucked up by not coming, that's for sure..

It came down to Mrs. Kidd (who is now ex-Mrs. Kidd) not wanting to come to S.A.

dbreiden83080
04-22-2009, 12:06 AM
It came down to Mrs. Kidd (who is now ex-Mrs. Kidd) not wanting to come to S.A.

Yes i did hear this. Isn't this the same wife that Kidd was accused of beating up?? So he smacks her around and then listens to her advice when he's done i guess.. :lol

Kori Ellis
04-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Here's a little history on some SpursTalk opinions about bringing in Jason Kidd in 2003.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2925

;) I guess I was right.

Blackjack
04-22-2009, 12:19 AM
No way. To make room for Kidd's contract, the Spurs would have had to let both Parker and Ginobili eventually walk. Add the fact that Kidd was slowed for while due to needing microfracture surgery and if Kidd would have signed, Duncan probably would have left and the Spurs would no longer be in San Antonio.

No doubt, the Spurs are better off that Kidd never donned the silver and black but had he come, I think there's a good chance they get the back-to-back in his first year.(Contingent on if I'm remembering his microfracture surgery taking place in '05) They'd probably been screwed championship-wise after that first year, though.

Yeah, Duncan was actually the one who wanted Kidd the most. Not Pop or RC. Duncan didn't like Parker or Ginobili at that point.

That's a bit strong.

Duncan had built a relationship with Kidd on team USA and was an admirer of his game.

I'm pretty sure Duncan just wanted to play with a future hall-of-famer who he somewhat clicked with, not that he disliked Tony or Manu.

Kori Ellis
04-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Yes i did hear this. Isn't this the same wife that Kidd was accused of beating up?? So he smacks her around and then listens to her advice when he's done i guess.. :lol

I believe his assault on her was that he slapped her and threw french fries in her face.

dbreiden83080
04-22-2009, 12:24 AM
I believe his assault on her was that he slapped her and threw french fries in her face.

Now that's a class act for ya right there..

timvp
04-22-2009, 12:24 AM
No doubt, the Spurs are better off that Kidd never donned the silver and black but had he come, I think there's a good chance they get the back-to-back in his first year.(Contingent on if I'm remembering his microfracture surgery taking place in '05) They'd probably been screwed championship-wise after that first year, though.I don't see how Kidd wins a championship in '04. Imagine the amount of lane packing the Lakers would do if they didn't have to guard anyone out on the perimeter. At least they had to defend Ginobili.

That's a bit strong.

Duncan had built a relationship with Kidd on team USA and was an admirer of his game.

I'm pretty sure Duncan just wanted to play with a future hall-of-famer who he somewhat clicked with, not that he disliked Tony or Manu.Maybe a little strong but I'm not sure TD had even spoken to Tony or Manu yet at that point in their careers :lol

timvp
04-22-2009, 12:32 AM
No doubt, the Spurs are better off that Kidd never donned the silver and black but had he come, I think there's a good chance they get the back-to-back in his first year.
I looked it up and Kidd's knee started hurting him in the beginning of the 2003-04 season. By the end of the season and the playoffs he could hardly move and he shot something like 33% after Christmas and 25% on three-pointers.

Looking back on it, the Nets thought Kidd's originally hurt his knee during the 2002-03 season. One of the first signs he had lost a step is that he couldn't guard Parker at all in those finals. :hat He eventually had the microfracture surgery after the 2004 playoffs.

So yeah, if the Spurs the Spurs would have signed Kidd, their first year of a healthy Kidd would have been the 2005-06 season and by then Parker and Ginobili would have been long gone. And probably Duncan as well.

Rogue
04-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Good idea.

the salary doesn't match, adding Tony Longoria into this package would make this trade more negotiatable though. :hat

Avitus1
04-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Now Kidd will enter retirement just like Reggie Miller.

timvp
04-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Here's a little history on some SpursTalk opinions about bringing in Jason Kidd in 2003.

;) I guess I was right.

Nicely done. Parker has almost fulfilled my expectations of him.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2910

Blackjack
04-22-2009, 12:58 AM
I don't see how Kidd wins a championship in '04. Imagine the amount of lane packing the Lakers would do if they didn't have to guard anyone out on the perimeter. At least they had to defend Ginobili.

Kidd would've brought a transition game the Spurs haven't seen since probably the ABA and Tim probably would've received 3-5 more easy buckets each game just by either running the floor or rolling to the basket.

You can't undersell what Kidd's competitive-fire/leadership would've done for that team either.

Sure, the Lakers would've packed the paint, but Kidd with Duncan, at that time, would've found a way to get it done with that kind of talent surrounding them.

Hell, we'd finally have had the perfect backup-point in Tony.:smokin(Although, I'm sure Pop would've found a way to screw him up:lol)

I looked it up and Kidd's knee started hurting him in the beginning of the 2003-04 season. By the end of the season and the playoffs he could hardly move and he shot something like 33% after Christmas and 25% on three-pointers.

Looking back on it, the Nets thought Kidd's originally hurt his knee during the 2002-03 season. One of the first signs he had lost a step is that he couldn't guard Parker at all in those finals. :hat He eventually had the microfracture surgery after the 2004 playoffs.

So yeah, if the Spurs the Spurs would have signed Kidd, their first year of a healthy Kidd would have been the 2005-06 season and by then Parker and Ginobili would have been long gone. And probably Duncan as well.

:toast

Well, that render's the, "Could we have won it with Kidd in '04?" pretty meaningless, but it's still fun to look back.:lol

EricB
04-22-2009, 01:03 AM
damn Marcus was a bit off in his arguements there...

Rogue
04-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Nicely done. Parker has almost fulfilled my expectations of him.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2910
sequ's posts used to be pretty understandable. :depressed

raspsa
04-22-2009, 01:55 AM
I distinctly remember Parker being very vocal about the Spurs trying to sign Kidd, even doing an interview on the matter.. when Pop heard about it, he really gave Tony an earful about not airing that sort of stuff in public., Pop really know how to run a tight ship and guys have to abide by his rules.

phyzik
04-22-2009, 02:14 AM
I'm VERY critical of Parker, but its not because Im a hater. I love Parker. Im only critical of him (when I show it on these boards) when I know he could do alot better.

The kid is a Phenom and, regardless of what bitch ass Dallas Maggots might say, he will tear them up regardless of what they do. Dallas fans may thing Ericka is getting into the head of TP but they are sorely mistaken.

Dallas Fail fans, the truth is people have been trying this on Parker for going on 4 years now. It doesnt work. You cant "intimidate" Tony Parker. All Dampussy did was give even more motivation to Parker. Get your fishing rods out you fucking losers.

stéphane
04-22-2009, 02:56 AM
As promising as Tony was back then, I hardly thought he could be able to dominate an NBA playoff game like he did in game 2.
Being an all star was about as good as I thought he could be, but I was wrong and he developped in an amazing player. The Kidd pursuit has something to do with it for sure.
Even now I don't know if he reached his ceiling or if he can improve even more. I'd say he could reach the 1st all nba team a couple of times before his speed and stamina starts to decline.

Slomo
04-22-2009, 03:28 AM

Amen! (although Malone no coming over is also pretty high on my list)

;) I guess I was right.

Killer bump Kori :D I was just a lurker in those days.

As promising as Tony was back then, I hardly thought he could be able to dominate an NBA playoff game like he did in game 2.
Being an all star was about as good as I thought he could be, but I was wrong and he developped in an amazing player. The Kidd pursuit has something to do with it for sure.
Even now I don't know if he reached his ceiling or if he can improve even more. I'd say he could reach the 1st all nba team a couple of times before his speed and stamina starts to decline.

I agree it is impossible to predict how far a young player will go. But from the first time I saw Tony play I had a feeling he was something special. During the 2003 season it became very clear to me that somebody who is able to survive Pop's treatment the way he did would eventually achieve something special. And when he started dating Eva he proved me right :p:

I started following the Spurs because of the Admiral, became a fan because of Tim and started posting in this forum because of Tony (and because Rasho's acquisition gave me something to say :D).

spursfan1000
04-22-2009, 07:36 AM

I would have hated to do a trade for Kidd also, contract is just too big.:flag:

Obstructed_View
04-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Apparently I had no opinion on Kidd v Parker back then, and have just been postwhoring like mad ever since.

SenorSpur
04-22-2009, 11:19 AM

Which is why I maintained all along, even during their actual pursuit of Kidd, that this idea had disaster written all over it. From a strict financial standpoint, it would've hamstrung this franchise for years to come. What's more amazing to me is that Pop and RC didn't see that from the gitgo.

From a basketball standpoint, I know Duncan wanted to play with Kidd very badly. It was clear that even he wasn't looking at the long-term ramifications either. Had Kidd decided to come, there's no way the Spurs would've been able to surround either of them with the type of competent role players they have now. Duncan and Kidd enormous salaries would've eaten up roughly a 2/3 majority of cap space.

As a trickle-down consequence, their mindless pursuit of Kidd resulted in the Spurs sacrificing the opportunity to draft Josh Howard in that summer's NBA draft. They were so hell bent on creating cap space to sign Kidd, instead they drafted Barbosa for the Suns and traded him. In doing so, they literally passed over a player that could've helped them at the SF spot through this very day. It was costly move seeing as how Jax had just left the same summer.

Of all the FO decisions that have come and go over the past 10 years, there's no doubt that the Kidd decision, and the trickle down effect of passing on Howard, tops the list as their biggest blunder.

FaithInOne
04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
if if if if if

Korny Earl
04-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Jason Kidd decided to remain with the Nets as a free agent in 2003, passing over what could have been a golden opportunity to join the Spurs.

"It may be a silly excuse, but I wanted to try to win a championship on my own, and we had that opportunity in New Jersey," Kidd told the Dallas Morning News. "Then, the Nets went in a whole different direction.

Unsure of whether or not Kidd was really expressing regret, the News then asked if he wished he had joined the Spurs.

"Well, they've won two championships since then," Kidd said. "I might have had a ring by now."

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/58707/20090422/kidd_wishes_he_had_chosen_spurs_in_2003/

GoSpurs21
04-22-2009, 04:03 PM
all i can say is I'm so glad he didn't come to the Spurs....
he would have cost us to miss resigning Manu...

NRHector
04-22-2009, 06:03 PM
all i can say is I'm so glad he didn't come to the Spurs....
he would have cost us to miss resigning Manu...you are so right, God works in mysterious way

Basketballgirl25
04-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Back then I was gonna be pissed if Kidd went to the Spurs, I am a Nets fans first so thats why.

Now I just lose more respect for Kidd every interview he gives.

TDMVPDPOY
04-22-2009, 07:05 PM
we also targeted brand that year and jermaine oneal....