PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' Gooden OK; No Treatment Needed

duncan228
04-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Edit: Updated, with other Spurs news, in post #19.

Spurs' Gooden OK; no treatment needed (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/04/spurs-gooden-ok.html#more)
By Mike Monroe

After taking a hard fall in Monday's Game 2 against the Dallas Mavericks that he described as feeling as if he had been in a car wreck, Spurs forward Drew Gooden felt so good when he awakened Tuesday that he didn't even need treatment at the team's practice complex.

Gooden and Dallas' Josh Howard collided in mid-air as Gooden grabbed a loose ball during the second quarter of Monday's game, with Gooden knocked sideways and landing hard, taking the brunt of the fall on his right side and back.

When he began spitting up some blood late in the first half, Gooden was sent to the locker room to be examined by the team's medical staff. He returned for the second half and played 11 minutes and 38 seconds, scoring five of his 13 points.

After the game, Gooden said he had some pain in his right shoulder blade area, but would see how he felt on awakening Tuesday before seeking a second examination.

ducks
04-21-2009, 09:47 PM
good
still title hope

E20
04-21-2009, 09:47 PM
That reverse jam was sweet.

Infact him and Duncan combined for like 5 dunks that game. That beats the Spurs season total already in one playoff game.

SA210
04-21-2009, 09:52 PM
I couldn't believe Duncan had 2 dunks in one game.

jbspurs
04-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Very good news!!

timvp
04-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Good to hear. Gooden seems to be toughening up as a Spur. This is the same guy who once missed a game due to an infected hair follicle.

onarollbaby
04-21-2009, 09:55 PM
great news indeed, his athleticsm and scoring punch off the bench is very much needed

Kori Ellis
04-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Good to hear. Gooden seems to be toughening up as a Spur. This is the same guy who once missed a game due to an infected hair follicle.

Umm.. he missed three games for an infected hair follicle.

(Rumors are that they found out it was MRSA.. that's why he sat.)

timvp
04-21-2009, 10:03 PM

:owned

exstatic
04-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Still doesn't beat Maggette missing time when he was with Orlando because of a bad pedicure. :lol

weebo
04-21-2009, 10:12 PM
timvp you gotta set that woman of yours straight...show her who da man

benefactor
04-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Great news. I was pretty worried for most of the day today. Gooden is the closest thing to Ginobili we have on the second unit. Hopefully this doesn't affect his psyche either and he continues to play all out.

bdictjames
04-21-2009, 10:27 PM
I admit, that was pretty ballsy of Gooden to just stand up and walk it off.

Spitting up blood? I hope its not any sort of pulmonary condition.

The Truth #6
04-21-2009, 10:32 PM

MRSA? Really? Wow, that's actually somewhat serious.

Avitus1
04-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Those dunks were pretty sweet. I was stoked.

Kori Ellis
04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
MRSA? Really? Wow, that's actually somewhat serious.

It can be very serious. It's nasty and has a (relatively) high death rate.

I looked up Drew's case, because I thought maybe I was mixing him up with someone else, but not ...

Drew Gooden of the Orlando Magic basketball team was hospitalized last month for MRSA infection resulting from infected hair follicles on his leg. The infection was repeatedly drained and he needed three days of intravenous drug treatment.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/20040420/antibiotic-resistant-infection-spreading

DPG21920
04-21-2009, 10:51 PM
What a jerk Timvp...

smrattler
04-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Still doesn't beat Maggette missing time when he was with Orlando because of a bad pedicure. :lol

Nothing will ever beat Horry's "DNP - Old Age"

duncan228
04-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Gooden checks out fine after hard fall in Game 2 (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Gooden_checks_out_fine_after_hard_fall_in_Game_2.h tml)
Mike Monroe

Before departing the Spurs' locker room after the team's 105-84 victory over the Dallas Mavericks in Game 2 of their first-round playoff series, forward Drew Gooden said the hard fall he took in the second quarter on Monday felt like being in an auto accident.

When he spit up some blood after the fall, he was sent to the locker room before the end of the first half for an exam. Cleared to return to the game, he played 11 minutes and 38 seconds of the second half.

Afterwards, he said his concern was that the soreness of a whiplash injury doesn't set in until the day after a rear-end auto collision.

“I'll see how I feel after I get up (Tuesday),” Gooden said after Monday's game, “and get another exam if I think I need it.”

Turns out Gooden was no crash test dummy. Apparently feeling fine on Tuesday morning, he did not report to the team's practice complex for an exam or treatment.

He's No. 11: Spurs forward Tim Duncan, an 11-time NBA All-Defensive Team selection and a nine-time All-Defensive first-teamer, finished 11th in voting for this season's Defensive Player of the Year Award. Orlando's Dwight Howard won the award in voting by 122 media representatives.

Spurs forward Bruce Bowen, who was runner-up for the award in 2006-07 and fourth in last season's voting, did not receive any votes.

Cleveland's LeBron James, Miami's Dwyane Wade and Houston's Ron Artest and Shane Battier completed the top five behind Howard.

Short time, short hop: Duncan was thrilled with the nature of Monday's victory, a blowout that required only 28 minutes and five seconds of his time on the court. With two days off before Thursday's Game 3 at American Airlines Center, and with a short flight up to Dallas scheduled for late this afternoon, Duncan anticipates that his achy knees should feel relatively good by Thursday's tip-off.

“It was great to play that (few) minutes and be able to sustain a lead,” he said after sitting for nearly 13 minutes of the second half of Monday's game.

Frustrating flattery: While Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who doubles as president of basketball operations, finds it flattering that other NBA teams make nearly annual raids aimed at stealing talented members of the Spurs' front office, he also is frustrated when the Spurs lose key members of the basketball operations staff.

The latest raiders: The Minnesota Timberwolves, who have Spurs assistant GM Dennis Lindsey on a short list of candidates to run their basketball operations.

“I guess we have a lot of guys doing a lot of things in the league,” said Popovich, who already has seen two Spurs assistant GMs (Cleveland's Danny Ferry and Oklahoma City's Sam Presti) depart for GM jobs of their own. We've just done some good picking, I guess. But once trained, it is hard sometimes to watch them go away and have to start over again with somebody else.”

Game 5 tickets: The Spurs' victory on Monday triggered ticket sales for next Tuesday's Game 5, which are on sale at the team's AT&T Center box office, as well as at all Ticketmaster outlets. Tickets also can be charged by phone, at (210) 225-TEAM. Available tickets are priced from $10 to $275.

Box office hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday and weekend event days only, beginning at 10 a.m.

duncan228
04-21-2009, 11:24 PM
He's No. 11: Spurs forward Tim Duncan, an 11-time NBA All-Defensive Team selection and a nine-time All-Defensive first-teamer, finished 11th in voting for this season's Defensive Player of the Year Award. Orlando's Dwight Howard won the award in voting by 122 media representatives.

Spurs forward Bruce Bowen, who was runner-up for the award in 2006-07 and fourth in last season's voting, did not receive any votes.

It's a crime that neither of them ever got the award.

Blackjack
04-21-2009, 11:44 PM

Amen.

Bruce not having one is pretty much a travesty and seeing K.G. win the award last year, after Tim had an almost identical year to him 2yrs. ago and lost the award to a weak-side defender on one of the most porous defensive teams in the league, still boggles the mind.

Two of the best defenders over the last 10yrs., and neither will ever be bestowed the honor.

FvckMavs
04-21-2009, 11:44 PM
T-Wolves, please take that Lindsey guy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-21-2009, 11:46 PM

It's also a crime Minnesota hasn't taken the Wunderkind off our hands yet...

Blackjack
04-22-2009, 12:00 AM
T-Wolves, please take that Lindsey guy.

Hill, Hairston, and Gist, whether they pan-out or not, I actually like the direction they went in the draft.

Good domestic talent, who woulda' thunk?

peskypesky
04-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Drew Gooden is da man!!

EricB
04-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Hill, Hairston, and Gist, whether they pan-out or not, I actually like the direction they went in the draft.

Good domestic talent, who woulda' thunk?

Pop I believe made the decisions on them.

Not Lindsey.

Adios Lindsey.

Blackjack
04-22-2009, 12:34 AM

Not Lindsey.

Adios Lindsey.

You believe, or you know.

I know the guy made a somewhat gutsy selection with Brooks for Houston and the Spurs made a somewhat similar pick with Hill, and that the one draft they've had since he's been here, the Spurs had a departure from their usual form. But that's the extent of what I know.

timvp
04-22-2009, 12:58 AM

Not Lindsey.

Adios Lindsey.

I know that George Felton originally did the scouting work on Hill. And then Pop and everyone else watched Hill, Hairston and Gist and the pre-draft camp. The Spurs then invited Hill twice for workouts and Pop took him out to lunch on his final visit and said they might take him.

Lindsey's role in Hill was only during the pre-draft camp scouting segment. I don't know about Hairston and Gist.

Blackjack
04-22-2009, 01:14 AM
I know that George Felton originally did the scouting work on Hill. And then Pop and everyone else watched Hill, Hairston and Gist and the pre-draft camp. The Spurs then invited Hill twice for workouts and Pop took him out to lunch on his final visit and said they might take him.

Lindsey's role in Hill was only during the pre-draft camp scouting segment. I don't know about Hairston and Gist.

The Brooks and Hill picks seemed to have some similarities, so I just kind of figured, whether directly or indirectly, Lindsey being there might have helped in the decision.

I know they were pretty high on Felton when they brought him in to get a better handle on the domestic-talent, so he could've very well been the biggets reason for Hill, Hairston, and Gist, but I'm thankful for whoever was responsible.

Gist intrigued me in the draft and Hairston was someone I really liked in college, so needless to say, I was pretty damn pleased with the picks.(Alright, Hill baflled me, as I knew little to nothing of him and I lead the Chalmers bandwagon, but I love Hill's upside more, even if Chalmers was the better "now" choice.)

That draft could very well turn out to be an absolute steal.

Thomas82
04-22-2009, 06:30 AM
drew gooden is da man!!

+1

Supergirl
04-22-2009, 07:32 AM

What is MRSA?

1Parker1
04-22-2009, 08:00 AM
That reverse jam was sweet.

Infact him and Duncan combined for like 5 dunks that game. That beats the Spurs season total already in one playoff game.

:lol That's what I was thinking...first time in a while I've seen a Spurs big man outside of Duncan dunk.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2009, 08:04 AM
What is MRSA?

Methocyllin resistant staph. It's a really bad staph infection. Some people are afraid it's the superbug.

Bartleby
04-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Nothing will ever beat Horry's "DNP - Old Age"

No doubt. Did anybody ever figure out who the prankster was? (My money is on Barry or Duncan.)

The_Worlds_finest
04-22-2009, 11:09 AM
That blood was actually maverick blood from the spurs eating them alive!

Bender
04-22-2009, 11:13 AM
^--- wtf kind of sig pic is that for a spurs fan to have ?

poop
04-22-2009, 11:41 AM
^--- wtf kind of sig pic is that for a spurs fan to have ?

have been wondering the same thing.

SenorSpur
04-22-2009, 12:38 PM

This is actually very good news. I love the energy, aggressiveness, and offensive jolt that Gooden gives the 2nd unit. There's very little chance that Gooden would have that type of impact on the first unit.

I would like to see Mason recognize and get the ball more to Gooden on the block, once he's sealed his man off. Several times, Mason ignored his postups and jacked up a quick shot from the outside.

BlackBellamy
04-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Was it on his balls? If so, then that might be one of the more painful sports injuries to have.

Southwest Texas Fan
04-22-2009, 02:23 PM
The Brooks and Hill picks seemed to have some similarities, so I just kind of figured, whether directly or indirectly, Lindsey being there might have helped in the decision.

I know they were pretty high on Felton when they brought him in to get a better handle on the domestic-talent, so he could've very well been the biggets reason for Hill, Hairston, and Gist, but I'm thankful for whoever was responsible.

Gist intrigued me in the draft and Hairston was someone I really liked in college, so needless to say, I was pretty damn pleased with the picks.(Alright, Hill baflled me, as I knew little to nothing of him and I lead the Chalmers bandwagon, but I love Hill's upside more, even if Chalmers was the better "now" choice.)

That draft could very well turn out to be an absolute steal.

Speaking of Gist and Hairston, how are they doing? I know Gist is playing in Italy but will be in the silver and black next season. Has there been any interest in Hairston since he was waived?