PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Mavs: Parker, Look Out

duncan228
04-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Mavs: Parker, look out (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mavs_Parker_look_out.html)
Jeff McDonald

For the better part of four quarters Monday, Dallas coach Rick Carlisle tried everything he could to pre-empt the Tony Parker Show.

He ran a conga line of defenders at Parker, trying to slow the one-man parade to the basket. He dialed up every number in his defensive Rolodex, even sending a zone Parker's way during one stretch.

The result: Parker had a 38-point field day anyway, and the Spurs evened their first-round series at a game apiece with a 105-84 victory.

As the festivities move to Dallas for Game 3, Mavericks center Erick Dampier believes he has the solution to his team's growing Parker problem.

“Every time he drives the lane, we have to put him on his back,” Dampier told the Dallas Morning News. “The first foul has to tell him he's in for a long night. My first foul Thursday night is going to put him on his back. I guarantee it.”

As far as playoff guarantors go, Dampier isn't exactly Joe Namath.

By announcing his intentions, Dampier may have painted a scarlet target on his back. An NBA official said Tuesday that Dampier's comments were “under review,” and that the league will be watching to see if he makes good on his called shot. The review could result in a fine for Dampier.

The Mavericks wouldn't be the first team to employ such a black-and-blue strategy against the Spurs' blur of a point guard. Unofficially, Parker leads the league in floor burns.

It wouldn't even be the first hard foul Parker has absorbed in the series. In Game 2, Jason Terry took him down with a shot that referees ruled a Flagrant 1.

“I'm used to it,” said Parker, the Spurs' leading scorer. “It's no different for me. I'm still going to try to penetrate and be aggressive. I'll definitely be on the ground, but I'm going to get up.”

By hook or by crook — or by hip-check or well-placed elbow — finding a way to control Parker will be the Mavs' priority as they aim to reassume command of the series.

Parker took over Game 2, using every weapon in his arsenal to make 16 of 22 field goals. He finished just three shy of his career playoff high of 41 points, set in the first round last year against Phoenix.

Parker scored 19 points in the first quarter, 27 in the first half, and probably could have made it to 50 had the Spurs needed him to.

“He did a good job of staying aggressive and keeping it that way,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “He didn't drift. He didn't lose focus.”

In that, Parker was just picking up where he left off.

Parker averaged a career-high 22 points during the regular season, the most for a Spurs player since Tim Duncan scored 22.3 in 2003-04. In franchise history, only George Gervin enjoyed a more prolific season at guard.

Asked to shoulder a bigger load with Duncan and Manu Ginobili battling injuries throughout the regular season, Parker led the Spurs in scoring 40 times, including in 23 of the final 27 games.

From Feb. 24 to March 20, Parker was the Spurs' scoring leader in 14 consecutive contests, the longest streak since Duncan accomplished it in 19 straight in 2002.

“He's been consistently great,” Duncan said.

Save for a fourth-quarter lockdown at the hands of J.J. Barea in Game 1 that in retrospect seems like a fluke, Parker's postseason is shaping up to be as dazzling as his regular season. Even in the Spurs' loss, he scored 24 points.

With Game 3 looming, the Mavericks go back to the drawing board, with Parker in their crosshairs. There aren't many options left that won't draw the ire of the league.

“He's a difficult guy to deal with,” Carlisle said. “It's a five-man responsibility. We're going to have to keep throwing a bunch of different guys at him, but he's tough.”

If Dampier backs up his words with deed, Parker will get a chance to show just how tough.

Spur|n|Austin
04-22-2009, 12:28 AM
“I'm used to it,” said Parker, the Spurs' leading scorer. “It's no different for me. I'm still going to try to penetrate and be aggressive. I'll definitely be on the ground, but I'm going to get up.”

:ihit

pawe
04-22-2009, 02:15 AM
Can't these dumbass Mavericks players ever learn to shut their fucking mouth up? Hey Damp, good job setting up a 20 ft night for the Spurs on Thursday. :cheers

Cry Havoc
04-22-2009, 02:28 AM
If anything, I have to wonder if Parker is going to get the benefit of more calls for Game 3. The refs aren't going to let much contact on him go at all, and the first time anyone hits him hard, they could easily be tossed.

Thomas82
04-22-2009, 06:28 AM
If anything, I have to wonder if Parker is going to get the benefit of more calls for Game 3. The refs aren't going to let much contact on him go at all, and the first time anyone hits him hard, they could easily be tossed.

I hope that's the way it is tomorrow, and for the rest of the series.

ratm1221
04-22-2009, 06:35 AM
I hope that's the way it is tomorrow, and for the rest of the series.

Why, you scared?

spursfan09
04-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Why, you scared?

Of Parker getting hurt?

Yes.

Ocotillo
04-22-2009, 07:06 AM
If Dampier is really stupid enough to pull that, what are the odds of Barea getting laid out by say Kurt Thomas?

Samr
04-22-2009, 07:16 AM
If Dampier is really stupid enough to pull that, what are the odds of Barea getting laid out by say Kurt Thomas?

Now why would you want to do that to the poor little squirt? Dampier has pretty much guaranteed himself a tech if he lays even a moderate foul now, so let's save the enforcer crap till a later round where intimidation counts for something.

I'm not saying that promises of physical contact is a bad strategy, it's just too soon.

This is what makes the difference between first-round teams and championship teams.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Why, you scared?

I know you weren't a Mavericks fan way back then, but Juwan Howard took out Derek Anderson in the playoffs, costing the Spurs a shot at the championship. ANY Spurs fan would be scared that the idiot Mavericks are more interested in thugging it up than they are in competing for a title.

samikeyp
04-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Parker ends up on the floor half the time anyway. He is always getting knocked down or bouncing off people. Dampier saying this is like Roger Mason saying "I'm going to shoot a three pointer in the next game" Its Dampier trying to get into Parker's head. Players have been trying that for decades and on some opponents it works. It won't on Parker because he already knows he is going to get hit every game and apparently doesn't care because he keeps doing it.

Extra Stout
04-22-2009, 09:21 AM
I know you weren't a Mavericks fan way back then, but Juwan Howard took out Derek Anderson in the playoffs, costing the Spurs a shot at averting a sweep in the West Finals. ANY Spurs fan would be scared that the idiot Mavericks are more interested in thugging it up than they are in competing for a title.
fixed

hater
04-22-2009, 10:28 AM
you guys actually beleive Dampier wil back up his words. please. it's Dampier. he is one big fat joke

pad300
04-22-2009, 10:34 AM

They thug your star scorer and you hit their bench scrub - have you lost it?!?

"They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. *That's* the *Chicago* way!"
- Malone, The Untouchables

You don't hit Barea if Dampier pulls that kind of shit. You hit Dirk. And you hit him twice as HARD and twice as DIRTY...

mytespurs
04-22-2009, 10:34 AM
I think Dampier is just trying to get into Parkers head tis all.

hater
04-22-2009, 10:36 AM
I think Dampier is just trying to get into Parkers head tis all.

he is not even bright enough to understand the concept of getting into someones head. dude is extremely dumb

Borosai
04-22-2009, 10:37 AM
2nd best center in the league. The guy means business.

samikeyp
04-22-2009, 10:38 AM
They thug your star scorer and you hit their bench scrub - have you lost it?!?

"They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. *That's* the *Chicago* way!"
- Malone, The Untouchables

You don't hit Barea if Dampier pulls that kind of shit. You hit Dirk. And you hit him twice as HARD and twice as DIRTY...

Mista Oberto, meet Mista Nowitski. :)

hater
04-22-2009, 10:40 AM
slamonline

Dampier Promises to Deck TP
Taking a page from Kendrick Perkins’ book.

by Marcel Mutoni

When Game 3 of the Spurs/Mavs series tips off in Dallas tomorrow night, Eva Longoria might want to avert her eyes. Because her hubby is about to experience a world of hurt. Well, about as much “hurt” as Erick Dampier can possibly inflict.

Dampier, Erika to some,:lmao :lmao had some tough talk for the Dallas Morning News following Game 2:

As Erick Dampier, dressed in a natty creme-colored sportscoat with a brown shirt and matching tie, wiped the sweat from his brow he vowed to stop Parker’s personal layup drill.

Spurs/Mavs Series Preview

“Parker got into the teeth of our defense and caused problems,” he said. “Every time he drives the lane, we have to put him on his back. The first foul has to tell him he’s in for a long night.

“My first foul Thursday night is going to put him on his back. I guarantee it.”

Well, this should certainly be interesting to watch.

Erick Dampier, tough guy. It’s a brave new world.

lefty
04-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Can't these dumbass Mavericks players ever learn to shut their fucking mouth up? Hey Damp, good job setting up a 20 ft night for the Spurs on Thursday. :cheers
Not so fast

What if Joey Crawfird officiates game 3 ? :downspin:

in2deep
04-22-2009, 10:51 AM
when your nickname, even from the media, is Erika. you really have no business making those comments

lurker
04-22-2009, 10:52 AM
I've always had a tolerate/hate relationship with Dampier, but I really hope he's not braindead enough to still go through with this.

I do hope the water cooler goes through with his promise to knock Cuban out, though.

SenorSpur
04-22-2009, 10:58 AM
The Mavs, as a whole, have a team of guys who have low BBIQ. During the heat of battle, they make ill-timed decisions or make ill-advised reactions or plays that generally hurt their team. This Dampier statement was just the latest bit of evidence.

vander
04-22-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't know what's with all the Dampier hate, he's just saying what any team is thinking when someone is consistently torching them to the hoop: we've got to make that guy think twice before throwing himself at the basket, we've got to protect our hoop like MEN.
It's the same thing we did to Nowitzki every time he tried to drive, 3 guys collapsed on him, got away with some contact and often left Nowitzki on the floor.
Frankly I think Dampier is one of the better centers in the league, and he plays Duncan extremely well. one on one, I don't have much confidence in Duncan's ability to score on Dampier. and if anything, Damp is bailing us out a little here, he is going to get some extra fouls called on him and give Duncan the opportunity to play more minutes against his backup. So Duncan might finally be able to carry some of the offensive load, and help TP out a little

pimptaddy
04-22-2009, 11:04 AM
damp in the paint will make it tough for parker all series. Damp is the man. Strongest man in the nba and little french guy is going to get smacked down. Beat down is coming

samikeyp
04-22-2009, 11:05 AM
damp in the paint will make it tough for parker all series. Damp is the man. Strongest man in the nba and little french guy is going to get smacked down. Beat down is coming

he got smacked down in games 1 and 2...and kept getting up. :toast

vander
04-22-2009, 11:14 AM
27pts in game 1 and 13pts and 11rebs in Game 2 w/ minimal minutes...stop giving this guy so much credit.

13-11 is a terrible boxscore for the greatest PF of all time, and not only that, but almost all of those points were created by TP

samikeyp
04-22-2009, 11:16 AM
13-11 is a terrible boxscore for the greatest PF of all time, and not only that, but almost all of those points were created by TP

So? The win is what matters, period.

poop
04-22-2009, 12:03 PM
if they injure parker next game, we should honestly have one of our big white centers break a key mav's leg.

vander
04-22-2009, 08:29 PM
He didn't need to score, TP did it all. You confuse good D w/ not needing to score and plusr he only played 28 minutes. He was a beast on D too. What more do you want? He can't do everything.

He will need to score in the future if we are to win this series
and he was not exactly a beast on D either, take off the homer goggles, Damp has done well on TD and we are going to need better play from TD if we want to go deep in the playoffs