PDA

View Full Version : Any good first person shooters with multiplayer on the horizon?

Heath Ledger
04-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Im out of the loop anything new and exciting on the horizon? I know cod is due like in november or something but anything else to look forward to?

Cry Havoc
04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Bioshock 2.

balli
04-22-2009, 12:15 PM
I recently played Bioshock and boy, was I disappointed. I didn't consider it a bad game, but given it's status/hype I expected a much better game than I thought it was.

I can't think of an FPS other than Bioshock or MW2 (which I think is not going to be considered a COD game). Halo ODST or whatever is the only one that comes to mind.

Portal 2 is in the works, but it's not a shooter and I'm not sure when its release is.

Trainwreck2100
04-22-2009, 01:10 PM
why would it be considered call of duty?

Heath Ledger
04-22-2009, 01:14 PM
why would it be considered call of duty?

Good question enquiring minds want to know.

balli
04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
I don't understand the question?

Trainwreck2100
04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
i meant to say wouldn't

jman3000
04-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Bioshock 2 probably isn't gonna be big on MP... they lean on a great single player experience.

Best bets are COD: MW2 and BF: Bad Company 2.

balli
04-22-2009, 01:28 PM
i meant to say wouldn't
I'm not positive, but I think I read that even if Activision is still the publisher, Infinity Ward wouldn't allow it to be branded as a CoD game since Treyarch also has rights to that brand and they didn't ever want Treyarch to make a Modern Warfare game.

Anyways, I could be relying on bad info, but I haven't seen it marketed as anything other than plain old Modern Warfare 2.

Trainwreck2100
04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm not positive, but I think I read that even if Activision is still the publisher, Infinity Ward wouldn't allow it to be branded as a CoD game since Treyarch also has rights to that brand and they didn't ever want Treyarch to make a Modern Warfare game.

Anyways, I could be relying on bad info, but I haven't seen it marketed as anything other than plain old Modern Warfare 2.

I think it's in the contract for IW to make a COD game so they might not have a choice. Either way treyarch can make a game set with present weapons and call it COD(insert title line here) won't be good till next year when IW releases it. Also i'm playing through COD 3 right now and treyarch sucks the big one. Basically Nazi zombies, is infinite bad guys that are hard as fuck to kill. That's also what call of duty 3 is. They basically took the shit part of COD3 and wrapped it in zombies. Long story short treyarch sucks

Cry Havoc
04-22-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm almost sure it's going to be a Call of Duty game. But we'll see. Either way, I could care less about the name. I just want the game to be better than CoD4.

spurs_50_21
04-22-2009, 02:06 PM
modern warfare 2 or m.a.g.

spurs_50_21
04-22-2009, 02:07 PM
btw mag will have 256 player online rooms

jman3000
04-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I think it's in the contract for IW to make a COD game so they might not have a choice. Either way treyarch can make a game set with present weapons and call it COD(insert title line here) won't be good till next year when IW releases it. Also i'm playing through COD 3 right now and treyarch sucks the big one. Basically Nazi zombies, is infinite bad guys that are hard as fuck to kill. That's also what call of duty 3 is. They basically took the shit part of COD3 and wrapped it in zombies. Long story short treyarch sucks

that's how all CoD games are on veteran. try getting past bunker 41 in CoD 2 on veteran. holy mother of shit was that hard.

ManuTP9
04-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Halo 3 ODST all the way

spurs_50_21
04-23-2009, 10:42 AM
there going to drop call of duty name on modern warfare 2,so it wont be called call of duty 6,its part 2 of call of duty 4

z0sa
04-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Mw2 is your best bet.

ballijuana, is your hate of treyarch so strong you honestly believe IW (who is under tremendous pressure from the game community and ActiVision to release another hit - ideas about 'monopolizing' the product are very far down the priority list) would not make it CoD-franchise name only so Treyarch cannot use the engine?

Sheer, sheer foolishness, I assure you. Treyarch and IW don't have some personal vendetta against each other like you do. They're both developers looking to make money, and that's it. Another good game will come of that scheme, hopefully - but they are not direct competition, at least in this scenario.

balli
04-23-2009, 12:30 PM
ballijuana, is your hate of treyarch so strong you honestly believe IW (who is under tremendous pressure from the game community and ActiVision to release another hit - ideas about 'monopolizing' the product are very far down the priority list) would not make it CoD-franchise name only so Treyarch cannot use the engine?

No. Treyarch can use their engine. It's not about the engine, I don't think they [IW, Activision] want Treyarch using their best franchise i.e. Modern Warfare.

And after poking around yesterday I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a CoD game. Activision originally announced it as Call of Duty MW2, pulled that announcement and in the official re-release of he press release called it only MW 2. There has to be a reason for it. And my best guess is that either IW, Activision or both don't want Treyarch going anywhere near the Modern Warfare franchise. Neither do I. Guarantee MW 3 isn't a Treyarch game. They can keep using the good studio's engine to make knockoff WW2 shooters with the CoD brand, be that their wont.

For what it's worth off of wiki

The sixth game in the Call of Duty series was originally referred to under the working title Call of Duty 6.[3] The official title for the game was first revealed to be Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 by Activision Blizzard on December 3, 2008.[5] Activision Blizzard subsequently recanted their announcement, saying any information about the upcoming Call of Duty game was "speculative,"[6] and Infinity Ward also asserted that they had not officially confirmed their latest project.[7] On February 11, 2009, Activision Blizzard reannounced Modern Warfare 2 and set a tentative release date for "Holiday 2009."[2]

On March 25, 2009, a teaser trailer for the game was revealed at the Game Developer Choice Awards ceremony in San Francisco. The trailer was also posted on Infinity Ward's website.[10] It announced a release date of November 10, 2009[1] and confirmed that the game's title of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was officially shortened to just Modern Warfare 2.[1]

jman3000
04-23-2009, 12:35 PM
There is a little bit of animosity between the two... or at least IW's belief that they are the superior of the two.

When the were developing CoD4, the exe. files were labeled CoD3.... implying that IW thought Treyarch's CoD offering never existed to them.

Cry Havoc
04-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Halo 3 ODST all the way

Console shooters. :lol :lol :lol

z0sa
04-23-2009, 01:20 PM
No. Treyarch can use their engine. It's not about the engine, I don't think they [IW, Activision] want Treyarch using their best franchise i.e. Modern Warfare.

Um, Treyarch just put out a game that sold just as well, if not better. Again, there are no personal vendettas in-house. ActiVision is the publisher, only cares about sales, not who develops the game.

:td nothing like reiterating points i just made because you're blinded by hate.

balli
04-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Again, there are no personal vendettas in-house.

When the were developing CoD4, the exe. files were labeled CoD3.... implying that IW thought Treyarch's CoD offering never existed to them.

The gloves are off, Infinity Ward has had enough of Treyarch, it's now personal. Infinity Ward's community man, Robert Bowling, has gone off on one over recent quotes made by Treyarch producer Noah Heller

Noah Heller - Stop Doing Interviews

Seriously man.... You're killing me!

If I see one more Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare google alert come through my inbox, that ends up being a COD:WaW article that is only showing up because YOU referenced Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare more times than you mention World At War....

Especially when you're pulling **** out of your ***. Come on man, interview about your game. Not OURS! Call of Duty: World at War can stand on it's own merits, leave ours out of it. Like this gem of a quote from today's article on CVG...

"In the previous Call of Dutys it might take three or four shots from a bolt action rifle," he explained. "We made sure that a single shot centre mass would kill that opponent because that's the expectation of the player."
WTF are you talking about?! "in previous Call of Dutys blah blah blah". First of all, you didn't work on "previous Call of Dutys", so don't talk as if you're down with how / why things were designed the way they were. Second, you're completely ****ing wrong.

Bolt Action rifles are one hit kills in every Call of Duty we (Infinity Ward) made!!

I won't compare it to World at War's Bolt Actions, I can't speak to that because I don't work there. Just like you don't work here, so please stop talking about our games.

A rule of thumb I like to use is.... when promoting your game. Promote YOUR game. Don't compare it to another game, or reference what OTHER games did in the past, pitch YOUR game.

And so they changed the name, just... because?

Trainwreck2100
04-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Exactly. They borrow and give ideas to the franchise so they can keep making money from the name. The engine from MW, MW will have 'nazi zombie' maps, I'am sure called something else. Give and take = $$$

nazi zombie camel jockeys

FaithInOne
04-23-2009, 10:01 PM
I love call of juarez multiplayer (pc)

call of jaurez two is coming out soon

BlackSwordsMan
04-23-2009, 11:21 PM
L4d

Heath Ledger
04-25-2009, 08:49 AM
l4d sucked i just sold it

jman3000
04-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Left for Dead is greatness.

resistanze
04-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Never got into L4D. Friends liked it for a bit. Still, they didn't play it for more than 3 weeks.

BlackSwordsMan
04-25-2009, 02:34 PM
I just bought L4D on ebay hope I like it.

Sense
04-26-2009, 12:45 AM
l4d sucked i just sold it

I've never played it.. but from that I can tell you two things...

1. you got the xbox game.....
2. you dont have friends to play it with..

from what I understand console games suck... so you need the pc game to love it.

and if you have friends to play it with.. its just... awesome.

I can't wait to get it

blademaster
04-26-2009, 02:16 AM
i played it with friends was not that great, it was on the 360 i sold it for $35

Shaolin-Style
04-26-2009, 03:11 AM
Must have played it with friends and been on the losing team a lot, the guys I hanged out with won pretty hardcore which got boring after a while but still was a blast :p

MW2, Battlefield 1943 in June, Battlefield Heroes on the PC, Borderlands, Huxley, and assuming it has multiplayer Deux Ex 3(though probably not on the horizon yet)

Evan
04-26-2009, 03:28 AM
I'm loving Resistance 2.