PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Parker Responds To Dampier (But Not Really)

duncan228
04-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Parker responds to Dampier (but not really) (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/04/parker-responds.html#more)
By Jeff McDonald

Tony Parker, apparently, is well coached. And not just by Gregg Popovich.

Given the opportunity to address to Erick Dampier's pledge to "put him on his back" during Game 3, Parker on Wednesday responded in a manner consistent with every p.r. man's dream -- by not responding directly to them at all.

"I can't focus on that," Parker said before the Spurs boarded their Dallas-bound charter flight. "It's San Antonio against Dallas. We know they're going to come back strong. They're going to play very physical. They've got a lot of character on that team.

"We're going to have to be ready and match their energy, and do the things that made us win Game 2."

After Parker scored 38 points in the Spurs' series-evening victory in Game 2, Dampier promised to knock the Spurs' point guard down at the first opportunity when the teams meet in Dallas on Thursday.

Parker has found himself in the crosshairs of an opposing big man before. Asked how that experience might prepare him for his latest turn as Public Enemy No. 1, Parker went back to the same non-inflammatory script.

"I'll be ready," Parker said. "It's going to be a big game for us. It's going to be very physical. For me, the main thing is we make sure we do the stuff that made us win Game 2. That's my main focus, to be aggressive and help my team win."

LoneStarState'sPride
04-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Damn, that Frenchman is leaking class all over the place. Consummate Spurs player response--cut the drama, get back to business.

lefty
04-22-2009, 03:41 PM
TP is always smooth with the medias :tu

RedRaider
04-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Nice classy response, unlike the Dallas thugs...

Flux451
04-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Nice classy response, unlike the Dallas thugs...

Thugs? The Nuggets aren't play us.

The closest thing to thugs on this team is Terry and is more of a menace. Howard is just a hippie anarchist.

FaithInOne
04-22-2009, 04:31 PM
He should have said, "I look forward to our date, Erika"

burntorange
04-22-2009, 04:36 PM
He should have said, "well, Erica is the second-best center in the WNBA . . ."

YoMamaIsCallin
04-22-2009, 04:49 PM
from "Bull Durham" :

Crash Davis: It's time to work on your interviews.
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: My interviews? What do I gotta do?
Crash Davis: You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time."
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Got to play... it's pretty boring.
Crash Davis: 'Course it's boring, that's the point. Write it down.

Mal
04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
I think Parker will have open way to basket. Dampier can`t foul him, because he is going to be punished for every hard foul.

StoneBuddha
04-22-2009, 05:05 PM

Actually, Parker makes me laugh sometimes. Among the Spurs, he's most likely to have a little cockiness to him. You see tiny instances of it pop out occassionally when he talks about his game or his place among the elite point guards. I think he's just slightly more honest than most players about his views on himself and the other players.

I don't mind really... the only time I sort of cringed was before game 7 of the 2006 WCF, where he talked about how if Dallas lost game 7 it would crush their spirits and be in their heads forever. (or something along those lines)

You could tell he thought most of the work was done already after the Spurs had fought back to get to Game 7.

:flag:

SenorSpur
04-22-2009, 05:06 PM

Unless he's admitted that he cannot get motivated to play the OKC's of the NBA world.

SenorSpur
04-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Actually, Parker makes me laugh sometimes. Among the Spurs, he's most likely to have a little cockiness to him. You see tiny instances of it pop out occassionally when he talks about his game or his place among the elite point guards. I think he's just slightly more honest than most players about his views on himself and the other players.

I don't mind really... the only time I sort of cringed was before game 7 of the 2006 WCF, where he talked about how if Dallas lost game 7 it would crush their spirits and be in their heads forever. (or something along those lines)

You could tell he thought most of the work was done already after the Spurs had fought back to get to Game 7.

:flag:

As it turns out that ill-advised Manu foul will stick in their heads (and ours) forever.

Morg1411
04-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Unless he's admitted that he cannot get motivated to play the OKC's of the NBA world.

:lol

Yeah, I'm not going to let him live that one down for a while...

will_spurs
04-22-2009, 05:29 PM

Truth hurts, but you'll get over it.

Kamnik
04-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Parker classy as always!

VI_Massive
04-22-2009, 08:04 PM
perfect response.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-22-2009, 08:10 PM
I was going on today about how Parker is a tough mofo and knocking him down will only make him more determined, then a coworker said today that in the 2004 LA series, Shaq forearmed Parker right in the face and he was thrown to the ground. After that, according to him, Parker totally shyed away from the paint.

Anyone remember of this is true? Surely Phil's defensive gameplan had to do with some of that.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-22-2009, 08:35 PM
I was going on today about how Parker is a tough mofo and knocking him down will only make him more determined, then a coworker said today that in the 2004 LA series, Shaq forearmed Parker right in the face and he was thrown to the ground. After that, according to him, Parker totally shyed away from the paint.

Anyone remember of this is true? Surely Phil's defensive gameplan had to do with some of that.

It is true, Phil Jackson knows how to shut down Parker better than any other coach in the NBA.

However, 2009 Parker >>>>> 2004 Parker

DAF86
04-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Parker responds to Dampier (but not really) (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/04/parker-responds.html#more)
By Jeff McDonald

Tony Parker, apparently, is well coached. And not just by Gregg Popovich.

Given the opportunity to address to Erick Dampier's pledge to "put him on his back" during Game 3, Parker on Wednesday responded in a manner consistent with every p.r. man's dream -- by not responding directly to them at all.

"I can't focus on that," Parker said before the Spurs boarded their Dallas-bound charter flight. "It's San Antonio against Dallas. We know they're going to come back strong. They're going to play very physical. They've got a lot of character on that team.

"We're going to have to be ready and match their energy, and do the things that made us win Game 2."

After Parker scored 38 points in the Spurs' series-evening victory in Game 2, Dampier promised to knock the Spurs' point guard down at the first opportunity when the teams meet in Dallas on Thursday.

Parker has found himself in the crosshairs of an opposing big man before. Asked how that experience might prepare him for his latest turn as Public Enemy No. 1, Parker went back to the same non-inflammatory script.

"I'll be ready," Parker said. "It's going to be a big game for us. It's going to be very physical. For me, the main thing is we make sure we do the stuff that made us win Game 2. That's my main focus, to be aggressive and help my team win."

I want the French version of this.

45 bank shot
04-22-2009, 09:59 PM
TP classy as usual

45 bank shot
04-22-2009, 09:59 PM
I want the French version of this.

by the way bro, how do u put a national flag under ur post count?

dirk4mvp
04-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Damn, that Frenchman is leaking class all over the place. Consummate Spurs player response--cut the drama, get back to business.

You mean class like calling Barea a flopper after game 1?

duncan228
04-22-2009, 10:06 PM
...how do u put a national flag under ur post count?

Ask Kori. You may want to wait, she's in Dallas at the moment.

Taking it to the Hole
04-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Parker is just exuding confidence right now. When your confident...your fearless. He is not concerned with what the Mavericks are doing, just on what he has to do. Parker is starting to be what Tim always has been, a player that makes everyone else better. He knows this is his time to carry this team and he isn't shying away from the responsibility.:ihit

ehz33satx
04-22-2009, 10:22 PM
You mean class like calling Barea a flopper after game 1?

NO, class like threatening injury to an opposing teams player just because you are not good enough to play him straight up.

dirk4mvp
04-22-2009, 11:34 PM
NO, class like threatening injury to an opposing teams player just because you are not good enough to play him straight up.

Classy like calling Barea a flopper after game 1?

Lady M
04-22-2009, 11:37 PM

Barea is a flopper and we can see the referees don't got him fouls in the 2de game

LoneStarState'sPride
04-23-2009, 01:45 AM

No, classy like calling another player on the team (who hasn't even really hurt you in this series) dirty because you want to divert attention away from your center, Sir Talksalot.

Seriously, don't even go down that road, k?

O-Factor
04-23-2009, 10:32 AM
All Parker has to do is flop a little and they will be blowing whistles all night, :lol