PDA

View Full Version : More minutes, more money: Can the Lakers re-sign Ariza?

TheSpursFNRule
04-22-2009, 03:37 PM
link:

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-blog/more-minutes-more-money-can-the-los-angeles-lakers-re-sign-trevor-ariza-ar50404.html

More minutes, more money: Can the Los Angeles Lakers re-sign Trevor Ariza?

April 21 09

More minutes, more money.

This is the unofficial philosophy of the NBA Players’ Union. The more scratch players get on-court, the more scratch that lines their pockets every two weeks come pay day.

The examples are countless. Consider Los Angeles’ Trevor Ariza. The swingman, and soon to be free agent, has earned himself additional zeros this summer because of airtight defence and physical play.

The slowing economy won’t matter. Ariza, in his first season as a significant contributor, is due to cash in. The cap-strapped Lakers might not be able to afford him. Then, again, they can’t afford to lose him, either.

Championship teams have swagger. Last year, Boston had Kevin Garnett’s intensity. And San Antonio was half squeaky-clean professionals and half villains with Bruce Bowen. A more prominent Ariza provides the toughness that was missing in last year’s NBA Finals against the Celtics.

Speaking of Bowen, Ariza is a younger version of the Spurs’ lockdown defender –minus most of the elbows, knees, and cheap shots. The Arizona grad can match up with the opposition’s top perimeter player, which lightens the defensive load for an already stretched Kobe Bryant.

At 6-8 and 210 pounds, Ariza has great size for both the two and three spots. And he fits in the frontcourt with either Lamar Odom or Andrew Bynum starting. Also, Ariza can play off-guard, which gives coach Phil Jackson the option to supersize his line-up with Bryant sliding to the one-spot.

Re-signing such an asset could be tough. The Lakers have 75 million dollars on the books next year, which doesn’t include a salary for free agents Ariza and Lamar Odom. Also, this figure doesn’t account for any potential raise given to Bryant, who holds an opt-out clause.

L.A. has benefited from Ariza`s increase in minutes. And he will likely get the benefit of more money elsewhere.

lefty
04-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Do it RC, do it :hungry:

SenorSpur
04-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Speaking of Bowen, Ariza is a younger version of the Spurs’ lockdown defender –minus most of the elbows, knees, and cheap shots. The Arizona grad can match up with the opposition’s top perimeter player, which lightens the defensive load for an already stretched Kobe Bryant.

Oh, if only.

:drool:

LoneStarState'sPride
04-22-2009, 03:46 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_91s-Zkod9Gc/STos-imnoSI/AAAAAAAAEMA/XOA-TpCiR54/s400/funny-pictures-sleeping-drooling-cat.jpg

RobinsontoDuncan
04-22-2009, 03:47 PM
If it came down to Gooden or Ariza, who would you chose?

Mugen
04-22-2009, 03:49 PM

ariza and its not even close

LoneStarState'sPride
04-22-2009, 03:50 PM

I love what Gooden has been able to do, but you'd be stupid not to jump at the opportunity to land Ariza. Young, athletic, and defensive minded--that's the type of player Pop wants to succeed Bowen. You think he likes giving Drew the green light to generate his own offense. Hell no--he's just doing it out of necessity.

xtremesteven33
04-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Trevor Ariza would be fantastic with the Spurs.

BUT he looks very happy in L.A. :depressed

MoSpur
04-22-2009, 03:51 PM
I thought the Spurs would be a good fit for him when he was with Orlando. Isn't he injury prone?

TheSpursFNRule
04-22-2009, 04:16 PM

is there any realistic possibility at signing both?:hat

mytespurs
04-22-2009, 04:23 PM

Please!!!! :rolleyes

Love that pic!! :king

mytespurs
04-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Do it RC, do it :hungry:

Ariza is not leaving LA; he's from here and he has ties here. I'm sure the Lakers will find some way to keep him. Bye-bye Lamar unless he takes a pay cut.

StoneBuddha
04-22-2009, 04:25 PM
is there any realistic possibility at signing both?:hat

I don't think so, unless the Lakers were willing to do a sign and trade with their friends the Spurs. Either that, or Ariza and Gooden would have to *split* the MLE. So, not very likely.

Man, I don't know who I would choose. I guess it would have to be Gooden, since he provides some low post scoring. Ariza would be a fantastic defensive force on the Spurs but Gooden's ability to provide some inside scoring and shore up some rebounding issues (hopefully) puts him slightly ahead in my book.

Still, the idea of weakening the Lakers, while strengthening the Spurs is incredibly appealing.

remingtonbo2001
04-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I think Gooden would be a better fit, considering Tim's minutes and offensive load will be reduced in the coming years.

If Gooden is can learn to play sufficient defense, I think he would be more valuable than Ariza.

From what it sounds like, Ariza is a bigger version of what Pop would like to make out of George Hill.

SenorSpur
04-22-2009, 06:00 PM
I thought the Spurs would be a good fit for him when he was with Orlando. Isn't he injury prone?

Amen! Don't know why the Spurs didn't make a play for him after he left New York.

SenorSpur
04-22-2009, 06:01 PM
I think Gooden would be a better fit, considering Tim's minutes and offensive load will be reduced in the coming years.

If Gooden is can learn to play sufficient defense, I think he would be more valuable than Ariza.

From what it sounds like, Ariza is a bigger version of what Pop would like to make out of George Hill.

Problem is George Hill isn't a SF. That's what the Spurs need - a long, athletic SF - and have for quite some time.

Spursmania
04-22-2009, 06:14 PM
:tongueI hate Ariza, but I would love him if he were a Spur.:hungry::hungry:

AussieFanKurt
04-22-2009, 06:52 PM
lakers wouldnt ever let him go, they know spurs would do anything to sign him

Avitus1
04-22-2009, 06:54 PM
what if, what if, what if...

TDMVPDPOY
04-22-2009, 07:09 PM
currently isnt splitters club trying to workd out on a buyout since they are havin problems financially...

maybe if splitter does decide to come play for us next season for the rookie salary scale....

then we can just give up on gooden and give his roster spot to splitter.

Rasheed wants to come play for us even for the minimum, we could also look in that.

Then sign ARIZA to the MLE...

ariza and GISTS roaming the lanes oh shit i cant fkn wait....

Manufan909
04-22-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm fine with the bigman rotation next season being Tim/KT/Ian/Bonner, and the wing rotation to be Parker/HillPG, Mason/ManuSG Hairston/FinleySF, Gist/ArizaSF&PF. I bet Gist would get half his minutes as smallball PF. And I'd be fine with Bowen back if Fin decided to retire.

spursfaninla
04-22-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm afraid Ariza gets more than the MLE. If he just gets the MLE, the Lakers will surely take him. I think Odom is gone.

And Spurs would not want Odom.

Now, it is true that Gooden is a legit low post scorer, but 1) he is mostly doing that against 2nd units, 2) we need our bigs to also play d, which he is still average at best, and 3) we could probably get by with Wallace for cheap for another year.

Ariza is our DREAM defensive stopper to take over for Bruce. And he can score.

He is the BEST possible scenario, IMO, if he can be had for around the MLE.

Russ
04-22-2009, 07:33 PM

Hopefully, we'll get a nice mano-a-mano comparison in a few weeks.

TheSpursFNRule
04-22-2009, 08:03 PM
currently isnt splitters club trying to workd out on a buyout since they are havin problems financially...

maybe if splitter does decide to come play for us next season for the rookie salary scale....

then we can just give up on gooden and give his roster spot to splitter.

Rasheed wants to come play for us even for the minimum, we could also look in that.

Then sign ARIZA to the MLE...

ariza and GISTS roaming the lanes oh shit i cant fkn wait....

did Sheed really say that? Where did you hear that? If thats true who would you rather have Sheed or Gooden?

Thompson
04-22-2009, 08:05 PM
It'd be great to get Ariza and hurt the Lakers at the same time. I don't think we will, though; most likely we'll just have to hope Gist is the next Ariza. If absolutely everything went right for the Spurs this offseason, maybe next year...

Ian Splitter Thomas
Duncan Gooden Bonner
Ariza Gist Bowen
Mason Ginobili Hairston
Parker Hill Williams

Not gonna happen (probably wouldn't even have the money if all were willing), but would be awesome.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-22-2009, 08:06 PM
He is not a personal embodiment of the word "BITCH" yet, so who knows...

VI_Massive
04-22-2009, 08:11 PM
If, God forbid, the Lakers win the championship this year, does that make them MORE or LESS likely to resign Ariza and Odom?

I think Ariza re-signing is a sure thing. LO is the only question in my book, but I've heard he is willing to take less to stay in LA.

Anyways -- I can see them more likely to pay big bucks to the guys who just won the ring with a chance to repeat, but also likely to pay big bucks to go out and get the ring that would have barely eluded them this year........so more likely to pay if they win or lose?

HarlemHeat37
04-22-2009, 08:15 PM
they can sign both if Odom does what he said he would do, which is take a pay cut..

there aren't a lot of teams that can offer more than the MLE this off-season, so the Lakers will probably keep both..assuming that their owners pay the luxury tax, which they have said they would do if they are winning..

VI_Massive
04-22-2009, 08:18 PM
they can sign both if Odom does what he said he would do, which is take a pay cut..

there aren't a lot of teams that can offer more than the MLE this off-season, so the Lakers will probably keep both..assuming that their owners pay the luxury tax, which they have said they would do if they are winning..

i hear ya on this.....but even Odom taking a pay cut puts them in some big salary territory.....http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

do you think buss is willing to pay that much tax? and do you think he's more likely to be willing to pay it if they win vs. if they lose the title this year?

Danny.Zhu
04-22-2009, 09:16 PM
How much luxury tax is LA facing next year?

SenorSpur
04-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Paying the luxury tax has never been an issue for Fakers owner, Jerry Buss. Knowing how important Ariza is to their team, I seriously doubt Buss lets him get away.

SouthTexasRancher
04-22-2009, 10:53 PM
problem is george hill isn't a sf. That's what the spurs need - a long, athletic sf - and have for quite some time.

amen......!

Ditty
04-22-2009, 11:50 PM
i think hairston could be like the next ariza if he works on his 3 point shot

DAF86
04-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Who'd you prefer: Rasheed or Ariza?

04-23-2009, 12:46 AM
i think the lakers will resign ariza. every team is trying to save money so no owner will be dumb enough next year to offer an overvalued contract. no more teams like cuban's mavs giving diop the full MLE. if there is a team desperate enough to offer ariza more than $6-7 million, then the lakers might have some competition. but it's odom they have to worry about. notice the lakers were practically unfazed when bynum went down. i wonder if they can do the same without odom. with bynum's extension kicking in next year, i don't see a reason why odom would want to stay on the lakers. they will pay him less money and give him less playing time while he's in his prime. odom has one big contract left in him while he's still in his prime.

jcrod
04-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Who'd you prefer: Rasheed or Ariza?

Ariza!! The Spurs need wings that can defend as evidence what Bowen had done this series.

BUT it will not happen, lets hope Hariston or Marcus make great strides this offseason. The Spurs will not survive any longer with Finley, Udoka, and Bowen being the primary wings.

HarlemHeat37
04-23-2009, 12:59 AM
-Ariza is not a lockdown defender at all IMO..he's a solid defensive player, but more of the explosive kind..he can't consistently lock down a player 1 on 1..

-Lamar Odom would definitely be a great fit for us, but obviously he'll get paid much more than we can give him..

04-23-2009, 01:04 AM
So the its 75 mil plus 7 for either one or 16 for both

that's 82 mil or 91 million hit to the cap which would be 20 mil over the luxury mark

Pragmatically all evidence points to NEITHER being on the team next season

Kobe is going to ask for more money.... He is in his OPTION year....

Doesn't matter because NEITHER will be a Spur next year either....
with most teams shying away from spending excess cash, lakers might get lucky and resign ariza for lower than the MLE. i'm pretty sure odom will be gone. i personally think ariza is overrated. he's a good defender, but still makes plenty of defensive mistakes. certainly not a lockdown defender, but could develop into one with the right mentality. he will not be a good fit for the spurs since he could never consistently hit a three pointer, something always expected from the spurs' wing players.

HarlemHeat37
04-23-2009, 01:06 AM
I personally don't want Ariza..if anybody other than LA gets him, that means they overpaid for him..so he won't be worth the price if he leaves the Lakers..

we don't need big name players to fill these roles..

Mel_13
04-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Spurs have MLE LLE, AND expired contracts of JV and Udoka, as well as 10mil more in expiring contracts with Bowen and Oberto being non-gaur deals. Thats enough to make something happen if they want to forget the 2010 plan.

Wow, triple posting the same grossly inaccurate numbers to support your otherwise weak take.

2Cleva
04-23-2009, 08:02 AM
To clear the air.

Lakaluva - wrong on Ariza. He's a higher priority than Lamar.
And no - Kobe is not taking a backloaded contract. I don't feel like going into the CBA details but he can't take a significant cut and get more later. He's getting maxed anyway.

Weak take indeed by Texas2Step. The most SA can offer Ariza is the MLE. LA easily matches that. They aren't about to S&T Ariza anywhere so SA's expiring contracts don't mean shit.

Kupchak has been after Ariza since he came in the draft. LA will pay to keep Ariza and Brown - and it won't be much. Both love LA. Ariza could have opt-ed out of his contract last summer - which his agent wanted him to do, but instead he declined and said he'd stay with LA. He's from LA, went to UCLA. He's not going anywhere.

LA's goal is to not exceed the $100 mil mark in team payroll (that's salary + luxtax). With few buyors around the league, they can get close to that bringing everyone back but likely they will try to dump Farmar, Morrison, and maybe Sasha for cheapers Ks to save about $5 mil.

Mel_13
04-23-2009, 12:21 PM
1) The aurgument was made spurs are near tax level so they have know way to get Ariza. My point SA can dump BOWEN, OBERTO AND FIN=that 10 mil and it removes us being near the tax line. Thus we could offer Ariza the entire MLE without worry of tax.

Once again, this statement is untrue. No matter how many times you say it and no matter how crude and childish your language, the statement remains untrue. Next time, provide some reference or link to back up your position and you may be taken more seriously.

2Cleva
04-23-2009, 12:26 PM
He also mistakenly believes LA is a team that is scared to pay the luxtax.

There is no salary cap issues in LA, just a high payroll. They've already addressed that to a degree in dealing away Radmanovic.

Hope all you want, most any team is going to offer Ariza is the MLE and LA will laugh and match that.

lefty
04-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Lissen up tea bag'n faggots. My statements are correct. You must be Obama lovers, cause you dont know wtf your talking about.

1) The aurgument was made spurs are near tax level so they have know way to get Ariza. My point SA can dump BOWEN, OBERTO AND FIN=that 10 mil and it removes us being near the tax line. Thus we could offer Ariza the entire MLE without worry of tax.

2) Only 4 teams will have more than the MLE this summer.

3) LA has plenty of cap problems now and it will be worse this summer, signing anyone will cause them to pay double for that player so giving ARIZA 5mil will cost 10. IS he a 10 mil a year player? Not even close.

4) Ariza did not stay with the Lakers because he loves them, thats just plain gay. He didnt opt out because he came of a broken foot and the market for him was not there. He would have been lucky to get a 3year-7-10 mil deal at best, so he waited to come back do well, maybe win a title which would realllllly raise his stock, and he was correct but no one is giving him more that 5 mil per year unless he wants to do a sign and trade.
:rollin

DMX7
04-23-2009, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=Texas 2 Step;3322871] My point SA can dump BOWEN, OBERTO AND FIN=that 10 mil and it removes us being near the tax line.

How are they could to do that? If you cut them you it still counts against the salary cap?

benefactor
04-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Ariza is not coming to San Antonio. That's all.

Duncan2177
04-23-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm afraid Ariza gets more than the MLE. If he just gets the MLE, the Lakers will surely take him. I think Odom is gone.

And Spurs would not want Odom.

Now, it is true that Gooden is a legit low post scorer, but 1) he is mostly doing that against 2nd units, 2) we need our bigs to also play d, which he is still average at best, and 3) we could probably get by with Wallace for cheap for another year.

Ariza is our DREAM defensive stopper to take over for Bruce. And he can score.

He is the BEST possible scenario, IMO, if he can be had for around the MLE.

And what makes you so sure the spurs would not want Odom? He would be that long athletic sf the spurs desperately need.

pad300
04-23-2009, 01:08 PM
From 2Cleva's assumption of a $100 million max payroll, and a 67 Million Lux tax line =

(100 - 67)/2+67 = 83.5

83.5 million in actual payroll. (ie. before Lux Tax)
LA's payroll = 75 million w/o Lamar, Ariza, Brown

= 8.5 million between Lamar, Ariza, Brown.

= 1 MLE or slightly more contract + a contract for Brown

Either Ariza or Lamar is walking...The Lakers can probably pick which one (Lamar or Ariza) they keep, unless some team with capspace gets enthusiastic. Where the other one goes is pretty open. There are teams with capspace (OKC, MEM, DET, ATL, IND (maybe),SAC,TOR,POR (maybe)). I'm not sure any of them are interested in an older vet (Lamar). So he's probably looking in the vicinity of the MLE from someone. There are a bunch of decent to good PF's potentially on the market (Gooden, Odom, Marion, Millsap, Boozer,Lee...). It might be a pretty good market for SA to pick up a big,espcially if Lamar is the one who walks. Lamar might fit pretty damn nice next to Duncan. He's very mobile, passes really well, fits into a team concept (doesn't need or want to be the man), can rebound well, and plays perimeter & slashing on offence...

Mel_13
04-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Look it up yourself fool, BOWEN OBRETO AND FIN COMBINED MAKE 10-11 MIL, next year and the spurs have right to buy outs at half the amount....this is one reason bowen and oberto where in trade talks with teams looking to dump salary because they could be bought out for much less then face value of contract. Your ignorance of the subjuct does not make it not true.

Google NBA team salary 2009, you will find a bunch of links that detail the situation.

Again with the unpleasant language. You said:

My point SA can dump BOWEN, OBERTO AND FIN=that 10 mil and it removes us being near the tax line.

Now you say that they have buyouts at half the amount, which, of course would be much less than the 10M figure you originally stated.

The fact is, Bowen and Oberto can be bought out at half the value of their contracts. Their contracts total about 8M, so the Spurs can remove 4M from their payroll by cutting them. That would, of course, open up two roster spots which must be filled, at the least, with minimum salary players. So the actual savings is now 3M or less.

Finley has a PLAYER OPTION, the Spurs only get any savings on his deal if he decides to leave.

So to summarize. You suggested player moves that could save $10M. Those moves can only save $3M. Please show your work for the other $7M. The ignorance of the subject, obviously, is all yours.

Maybe you should fix your Google, it must be leading you to websites with inaccurate information.

FYI, these are the two I have bookmarked for reference. Feel free to use them.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

2Cleva
04-23-2009, 02:03 PM
From 2Cleva's assumption of a $100 million max payroll, and a 67 Million Lux tax line =

(100 - 67)/2+67 = 83.5

83.5 million in actual payroll. (ie. before Lux Tax)
LA's payroll = 75 million w/o Lamar, Ariza, Brown

= 8.5 million between Lamar, Ariza, Brown.

= 1 MLE or slightly more contract + a contract for Brown

Either Ariza or Lamar is walking...The Lakers can probably pick which one (Lamar or Ariza) they keep, unless some team with capspace gets enthusiastic. Where the other one goes is pretty open. There are teams with capspace (OKC, MEM, DET, ATL, IND (maybe),SAC,TOR,POR (maybe)). I'm not sure any of them are interested in an older vet (Lamar). So he's probably looking in the vicinity of the MLE from someone. There are a bunch of decent to good PF's potentially on the market (Gooden, Odom, Marion, Millsap, Boozer,Lee...). It might be a pretty good market for SA to pick up a big,espcially if Lamar is the one who walks. Lamar might fit pretty damn nice next to Duncan. He's very mobile, passes really well, fits into a team concept (doesn't need or want to be the man), can rebound well, and plays perimeter & slashing on offence...

If Lamar is going to sign for MLE - LA will keep him.

But there are ways to clear up salary. I expect Farmar will be moved for a draft pick or combined with Morrison for lesser 2010 ending salary. Sasha likely also will be available.

LA will continue to trim the fat off the roster.

pad300
04-23-2009, 03:13 PM
If Lamar is going to sign for MLE - LA will keep him.

But there are ways to clear up salary. I expect Farmar will be moved for a draft pick or combined with Morrison for lesser 2010 ending salary. Sasha likely also will be available.

LA will continue to trim the fat off the roster.

I don't think Lamar is going to want to sign for the MLE, I just think that is what he is going to be left with...

As far as the Lakers making room, they are going to have to work at it. Moving any of Sasha, Morrison or Farmar will require trade bait to make it work. All are average players (or worse) players, and Sasha and Morrison's contracts are bad. I don't know that moving them is going to be easy. Especially because nobody is going to want to help LAL out... Good luck with trimming that fat. You don't have that many trade chips - you have to keep this years pick, have already traded next years (Gasol)...

Mel_13
04-23-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't think Lamar is going to want to sign for the MLE, I just think that is what he is going to be left with...

As far as the Lakers making room, they are going to have to work at it. Moving any of Sasha, Morrison or Farmar will require trade bait to make it work. All are average players (or worse) players, and Sasha and Morrison's contracts are bad. I don't know that moving them is going to be easy. Especially because nobody is going to want to help LAL out... Good luck with trimming that fat. You don't have that many trade chips - you have to keep this years pick, have already traded next years (Gasol)...

Two very good points that will apply to players and teams this summer. Players like Marion, Odom, and Iverson will likely have to take huge pay cuts. And teams that want to move contracts off their books will have to throw in a lot more than 500K or a future 2nd round pick.

Those teams (Memphis, Detroit, OKC and Portland) with significant cap space will be in a particularly strong position this summer. They will likely be able to get quality players at a discount or demand first round picks and good young talent to take bad contracts from other teams. Or both.

2Cleva
04-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Farmar (1.9) and Morrison (5.2) are last year contracts. How are they bad?

Farmar does have value throughout the league. Many believe the tri is just a bad fit for him. A team like NY or anyone who wants 2010 cap space but needs a PG would be very interested in Farmar. Sasha has 2 years left at 5.2 per - not impossible but tougher to move.

LA will dump at least 1 of the 3 I'm sure of it.

Agloco
04-23-2009, 03:47 PM
ariza and its not even close

+1

It's a matter of getting the right man in the middle with Duncan. Gooden is a good man coming of the bench or some punch, but as a starter he's got too many liabilities.

Mel_13
04-23-2009, 03:48 PM

Farmar does have value throughout the league. Many believe the tri is just a bad fit for him. A team like NY or anyone who wants 2010 cap space but needs a PG would be very interested in Farmar. Sasha has 2 years left at 5.2 per - not impossible but tougher to move.

If the question was to me, let me clarify. I believe, as a general rule, teams around the league will have to pay a premium in order to get other teams to help them lower payroll.

In the specific examples of Farmar, Sasha, and Morrison...I believe they would certainly be able to essentially give Farmar away in exchange for a trade exception or a future second rounder.

I could see Sasha moving in a relatively equal trade to a team that needs a shooter in exchange for a slightly smaller contract in return.

IMO, Morrison will be hard to move unless the Lakers can really sweeten the pot. You can't really get much in savings by trading him to a team trying to clear 2010 space since you would have to take back a similar amount in longer deals.

Its the same for Spurs, finding partners for their expiring contracts may be easy if you're looking to get back expensive talent from desperate teams (Richard Jefferson, Vince Carter, etc). It won't be as easy, IMO, to move these expiring deals in order to lower payroll.

TheSpursFNRule
04-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I heard Tayshaun Prince is no longer untouchable. :) Maybe?

pad300
04-23-2009, 05:08 PM

Morrison is an MLE level contract for a sack of crap... Thats how bad he is. He's an SG who can't defend for shit, and has a career FG% of .373. It's gone down since he entered the league...

Farmar has been with the Lakers for 3 years of development. He never starts (2 games over his career to date), with a Fischer (34 and posting a 12.1 PER) keeping him on the bench. His PER (9.9), shooting %'s, rebound rates and assist percentages are all career lows this year. He's Jaques Vaughn bad. That is to say he's a 3ed pg level player, and he's got nothing resembling Vaughn's locker room value (as a semi-coach and a personality). He might be dumpable (although you won't get squat back), but his salary is only 2 Million. He doesn't offer you enough saving to put up 2 MLE contracts and stay within that $100 Million envelope you proposed...

Sasha's contract goes past the 2010 free agent apocalypse that so many teams are freaking about. Also, he's an MLE level contract who's career PER is 11.6, and has dropped of hugely (15.1 to 12.6) after his contract year. I'll also note that youve played 2 blowouts, and he's gotten 27 minutes in the playoffs this year, posting a -3.2 PER and a 0% EFG... I don't want that anywhere near my team...

LA may manage to dump one of them, but they will have to work to do so.

xtremesteven33
04-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Right now:

Tayshaun > Ariza

TheSpursFNRule
04-23-2009, 05:32 PM
My gut feeling tells me that LA would never ever let a dude like Ariza walk to the Spurs. He is important to there team and Lamar will either leave or take a pay cut most likely the latter. Ariza is great, but I suppose our best options this off season are to either sign Rasheed and let Gooden go. Or sign Gooden, and somehow work out a trade for RJ, VC or Corey Maggette....because we all know the Bucks, Nets and Warriors are in desperation mode for shedding salary, there teams are going nowhere and can't afford players like that. I just really hope we get an athletic wingman its so fucking needed.

Thomas82
04-23-2009, 06:54 PM
One other option for us is to try to draft Danny Green this summer, and groom him. I like the idea of Tayshaun Prince, but the Spurs don't have enough to trade for him.