PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks Must Narrow Gap In Superstar Category

duncan228
04-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Dallas Mavericks must narrow gap in superstar category (http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/1331216.html)
By Eddie Sefco

DALLAS — Some things baffle the imagination, like how a squeezed lemon knows exactly where your eye is.

It’s the same way with Dirk Nowitzki. It’s just hard to figure out how some dude named Matt Bonner is the new Germanator.

The explanation can’t possibly be that simple, even though Bonner has been one of San Antonio’s defensive keys to keeping Nowitzki under wraps through two games of the first-round series.

The way Nowitzki has struggled; it’s a mild shocker that the Dallas Mavericks are level with the Spurs. Playoffs usually are dictated by superstars. In the matchup of the two best players in the series, Nowitzki is getting trounced by Tony Parker.

But that’s why a series is best-of-seven. After two games, it’s foolish to try to declare a winner, especially when it’s 1-1 going into Thursday’s Game 3 at American Airlines Center.

Nowitzki, who finished the season with 25 consecutive games scoring at least 20 points, hasn’t reached that mark in the playoffs.

It’s the first time since May 5 and 7 in 2005 against Houston that he’s gone consecutive playoff games without scoring 20.

To find three in a row, you have to go back to his second season and first playoff appearance in 2000-01.

Clearly, the Spurs are making the Mavericks’ star uncomfortable on the offensive end. He is being crowded by Bonner or Bruce Bowen or Drew Gooden, and if he puts the ball on the floor to shake free, other Spurs are running at him.

Isn’t there anything Nowitzki or coach Rick Carlisle can do to free him up?

"Not really," Nowitzki said. "That’s their game plan. Maybe catch the ball a little more on the move. They’re not giving me any room."

Jason Terry, the second focal point of the Spurs’ defense, has talked at length about he and Nowitzki being willing passers and having faith in teammates to pick up the scoring slack.

Carlisle doesn’t have to say much to his stars about it.

"We deal with this all year," Carlisle. "There are teams that double-team Dirk at the 3-point line. When that happens, the onus is on everybody else to hit shots. I don’t need to go into a long dissertation about it because our guys know where things are."

Nowitzki’s struggles were compounded in Game 2 when Bonner had 11 points and seven rebounds in 29 minutes, shooting 3-of-9 from the field. That’s a virtual push with Nowitzki’s 14 points and six boards on 3-of-14 shooting.

No way San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich plans on a push in that match.

Meanwhile, Parker has been, as Terry said, "the head of the snake." He’s the part that does the biting.

"We need to make someone else beat us to have a chance," Terry said.

The confusion and frustration that Parker is causing is becoming evident. The guards are having a tough time keeping him out of the paint. And if the big guys help out, they risk Tim Duncan having a big offensive night.

"No matter how they do it, the Mavericks need to find a way to slow down Parker to where he’s merely great instead of all-universe.

If not, the gap between the two superstars is going to be awfully tough for the Mavericks to overcome.

Budkin
04-22-2009, 04:05 PM
:lmao Seriously? Bonner?

hater
04-22-2009, 04:11 PM
these mav writers sound scared shitless. nut up bitches. I guess they are used to seeing the mavs choke

Whisky Dog
04-22-2009, 04:55 PM
It's the strategy that Nellie used to expose Dirk and the Spurs are using it too. Face guard him tight with Bonner or Gooden and run a small at him when he tries to put the ball on the floor. The key is the Spurs defensive rotations off the pass. If they stay strong there they should win the series.

Rummpd
04-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Dirk is not a superstar - he may be famous and semi accomplished but 0 titles does not qualifiy him for consideration.

StoneBuddha
04-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Dallas Mavericks must narrow gap in superstar category (http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/1331216.html)
Playoffs usually are dictated by superstars. In the matchup of the two best players in the series, Nowitzki is getting trounced by Tony Parker.

I know Parker's on an incredible run, but doesn't that sentence strike anyone else as a little weird.

Morg1411
04-22-2009, 05:15 PM
I know Parker's on an incredible run, but doesn't that sentence strike anyone else as a little weird.

I know, as someone with strong German heritage, that getting trounced by a Frenchman* is about the most humiliating thing imaginable.

VIVA LA FRANCE!!!!

* Yes, yes, he's from Belgium...but he's French enough for Dirk, I'm sure.

StoneBuddha
04-22-2009, 05:24 PM
I know, as someone with strong German heritage, that getting trounced by a Frenchman* is about the most humiliating thing imaginable.

VIVA LA FRANCE!!!!

Actually, I was thinking about the fact that he doesn't consider Duncan one of the two best players in this series. That idea discombobulates me.

will_spurs
04-22-2009, 05:26 PM

I know we've been there before but Parker is not "from Belgium". He just happened to be born there, just the same way that Dominique Wilkins was born in France - would you say that Wilkins is "from France"? No.

Morg1411
04-22-2009, 05:28 PM
I know we've been there before but Parker is not "from Belgium". He just happened to be born there, just the same way that Dominique Wilkins was born in France - would you say that Wilkins is "from France"? No.

Fair enough. I know if I didn't say it, some douche would have called out "He's not really French!". Sometimes it doesn't pay to cover your bases. :lol

Alain
04-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Regardless of who is really the best player, Parker acquiring superstar status is a great thing for the Spurs!

Nathan Explosion
04-22-2009, 05:32 PM
The one thing the writer missed is that the Spurs have 2 superstars still. Last time I checked, that Duncan guy was considered something of a good, accomplished player. I haven't seen a mismatch between Parker and the opponent this bad since the 2007 Finals.

spursfan09
04-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Funny how they think Dirk can let loose and dominate, but not Duncan.

Duncan will be there just as much as TP or Dirk.

Morg1411
04-22-2009, 05:38 PM
TD has been solid. Quiet, but solid. He delivers the goods when he has to, as we all know he will.

silverblackfan
04-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Actually, I was thinking about the fact that he doesn't consider Duncan one of the two best players in this series. That idea discombobulates me.

:toast Threw me off too. Not a lot of respect for the 11 time All Star.

Whisky Dog
04-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Duncan is obviously the most accomplished of anyone in the series, but at this point in his career with his knee and leg condition right now... He's not one of the top two players in this series. Like it or not it's Tony Parker's show now and Duncan is the next star on the team. It's Parker who has to run this show and dominate for the Spurs to have a chance while Timmy plays a very solid, strong role right behind him.

Avitus1
04-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Bonner is a beast!!!

41times
04-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Dirk is not a superstar - he may be famous and semi accomplished but 0 titles does not qualifiy him for consideration.

Whoa whoa whoa. Dirk is not a superstar? If Dirk is not a Superstar then Duncan is not a Superstar. Doc J and Magic aren't super stars because Dirk has more points than both of those guys 19084 and only 118 less than Timmy in 1 less year.

And if you are going by titles then Karl Malone must not have been a Superstar? Or the greatest assist leader of all time wasn't a super star or Charles Barkley wasn't a super star?

Of course all of these people are superstars. Just because they did not win a title does not automatically eliminate them from the list of superstar. Just ask Dan Marino

dallaskd
04-22-2009, 07:33 PM

So Lebron, Chris Paul, and Dwight Howard arent superstars either??

DPG21920
04-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Points don't = superstar. Rings, MVPs, Rebounds, Blocks, Points, All NBA teams, Defensive teams make a superstar.

DPG21920
04-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Dirk is superstar, but not a champion.

41times
04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Points don't = superstar. Rings, MVPs, Rebounds, Blocks, Points, All NBA teams, Defensive teams make a superstar.

Wait i am confused. you say points don't = superstar but then you say MVPs, Points and All NBA teams= Superstar.......Okay, Dirk was a league MVP. Dirk has more points per year than Timmy and will have 20,000, more than Timmy next year and he was All NBA teams many times over.

So i guess he is a superstar by your own definition.

The only thing he is not is a Champion. Just like Malone, Stockton or Barkley, AI, Reggie Miller. Okay fine. whatever.

VI_Massive
04-22-2009, 08:02 PM
bonner and "defensive key" in the same sentence?

HarlemHeat37
04-22-2009, 08:21 PM
it's funny how people are so mesmerized by points..

Duncan is still our best player, it's not really debatable IMO..it's as if people don't notice the other side of the floor, where Duncan is by far the best player in this series..he's also the best rebounder..

Parker is our #1 scoring option, there's a difference..

it's pretty insulting to Tim, who was the best player in game 1, and is the best player in this series..Dirk has done nothing so far, even though he's being covered by Matt Bonner..

41times
04-22-2009, 08:58 PM
it's funny how people are so mesmerized by points..

Duncan is still our best player, it's not really debatable IMO..it's as if people don't notice the other side of the floor, where Duncan is by far the best player in this series..he's also the best rebounder..

Parker is our #1 scoring option, there's a difference..

and i think most people would admit that Parker is a superstar as well.

Rummpd
04-22-2009, 09:13 PM
So Lebron, Chris Paul, and Dwight Howard arent superstars either??

Correct and there was a consensus by TNT a few years back that no championship = not a true superstar. James will win a championship but right now Paul and Howard and even James are at this point statistical wonders NOT true superstars despite all the media hype.