PDA

View Full Version : Spurs At Mavs Previews Game Three

duncan228
04-22-2009, 04:15 PM
San Antonio at Dallas Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009042306&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:30 pm EDT Thu Apr 23, 2009
TV: NBA TV
By Jaime Aron

After chatting with league officials, Mavericks center Erick Dampier is toning down his plans to thwart San Antonio’s Tony Parker.

The big guy is still going to get physical with the speedy point guard in Game 3, but he’s no long guaranteeing that “my first foul Thursday night is going to put him on his back.”

“I probably shouldn’t have said it like that,” Dampier said Wednesday. “Maybe the way it came out, it sounded bad. … I’m just going to go out there and play the way I’ve been playing.”

Dampier vowed to pop Parker on Monday night, after he turned Game 2 of this first-round series into a personal layup drill. Parker scored 38 points in 33 minutes, leading San Antonio to a 105-84 victory that tied the series at one game apiece.

The quote appeared in Tuesday’s editions of The Dallas Morning News. Once it reached the league office, a “review” began, which essentially meant Dampier having to explain himself. He did so again Wednesday with reporters.

“It’s just the game of basketball,” he said. “It wasn’t said intentionally to go out and hurt anyone. I mean, fouls happen in the game of basketball. It’s just that we want to shut down the paint and not give up any easy layups.”

No punishment was announced by the league. However, there will be repercussions in the form of more scrutiny from the refs.

“Probably magnified 100,000 times,” Dampier said, laughing. “I’m just waiting to see how it’s going to happen. But, like I said, I’m not going to go out there and do anything stupid. I just want to go out there and play the best I can.”

Mavericks players and coaches stood up for Dampier, essentially calling his threat a heat of the moment, slip of the tongue. They also agreed with his message.

“We can’t just give up layup after layup, and Parker is one of the best at scoring in the paint,” Dallas point guard Jason Kidd said. “We just have to be a little more physical—not in the sense of hurting anybody, but protecting the paint. I think that’s what Damp was trying to say.”

Dampier and coach Rick Carlisle both noted that the burly center has only two flagrant fouls over five seasons in Dallas, which hardly brands him as a dirty player.

“They’ve got one—we don’t,” Mavs star Dirk Nowitzki said, clearly referring to Bruce Bowen, the Spurs’ defensive ace who has long been a thorn to Dallas players.

Parker pretty much brushed off Dampier’s threat.

“I can’t focus on that,” he said. “It’s San Antonio and Dallas. We know they’re going to come back strong. They’re going to play very physical. They have a lot of character in that team, and just like we reacted in Game 2, they’re going to react as well. … I’ll be ready.”

Parker scored 24 points in the opener, but made only two field goals in the second half. He scored as many points in the first quarter of Game 2 as the Mavericks did, then in the second quarter absorbed a flagrant foul from Jason Terry. The league said Terry would not be penalized any further.

“For me, the main thing is to make sure that we do stuff that made us win Game 2,” Parker said. “That’s my main focus, for me to be aggressive and make sure I help my team win.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich dismissed the whole Dampier-Parker drama.

“I don’t pay attention, honestly, to anybody’s comments. Not even my family’s comments or my friends’. All that matters is what the teams do on the court,” Popovich said. “Comments are just that, they’re absolutely meaningless. So it doesn’t affect anything.”

But what if the 6-foot-11, 265-pound Dampier gets rough with the 6-2, 180-pound Parker?

“He’s a tough kid,” Popovich said.

While this series lacks the gravitas of the Spurs-Mavs second-round feud in 2006, it’s off to a juicy start.

San Antonio made 11 3-pointers and held Nowitzki and Terry well below their averages in Game 1, but Dallas won thanks to great play from other members of the supporting cast. Parker’s dominance was the story line in Game 2, and now Dampier’s line is helping build buzz for Game 3.

“It kind of fires me up,” said Spurs reserve Drew Gooden, a newcomer to this Interstate 35 rivalry. “If somebody has that much courage to put themselves on the line, so be it. But I don’t think anybody on our team has been the ones to talk. I think we can show better than we can tell. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think Tony is going to stay aggressive, so we’ll see how Dallas handles that.”

The Mavericks have some good trends in their favor, like a 15-1 record at home since the All-Star break and going 6-1 in games following losses by at least 20 points.

Then there’s the Nowitzki factor. He scored at least 20 points in the final 25 games of the regular season, but San Antonio has limited him to 19 and 14 over the first two games. He’s 0-for-6 on 3-point tries.

Is he due to break out? Or have the Spurs figured out a way to stifle him?

“For a 7-footer who is not athletic, it’s pretty hard to beat a double team, especially against smaller guys,” Nowitzki said. “I just have to take what’s there. I think I had some good shots in the second half. Obviously I forced a couple of 3s when we were down 20, but I think I’m going to have a few opportunities. If I have them, I have to make sure I make the best out of them.”

Notes

Spurs:

G Tony Parker had 27 points of his 38 points in the first half. ... The Spurs avoided consecutive home playoff losses for the first time since 2002. ... Parker finished 16-of-22 from the field. He had 19 points in the first quarter alone, equaling the Mavericks' total.

Mavericks:

G Jason Terry finished with 16 points for Dallas, which suffered one of the worst losses in the playoff rivalry. ... Dallas failed to send the Spurs to consecutive home playoff losses for the first time since 2002.

Team Stat Leaders

Dirk Nowitzki Dal 25.9

Rebounds

Tim Duncan SA 10.7
Dirk Nowitzki Dal 8.4

Assists

Tony Parker SA 6.9
Jason Kidd Dal 8.7

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

San Antonio 54-28 1st Southwest / 3rd West 97.0 93.3 Road 26-15 Won 4 6-4

Dallas 50-32 3rd Southwest / 6th West 101.7 99.8 Home 32-9 Won 2 7-3

Series at a Glance

Series tied 1-1

Game 1: at SAS
DAL 105, SAS 97 - Final

Game 2: at SAS
DAL 84, SAS 105 - Final

Game 3: at DAL
Thu, Apr 23 - 8:30 pm EDT

TV: NBATV

Game 4: at DAL
Sat, Apr 25 - 4:00 pm EDT

TV: TNT

Game 5: at SAS
Tue, Apr 28 - TBA

Game 6: at DAL
Fri, May 01 - TBA

Game 7: at SAS
Sun, May 03 - TBA

Series Breakdown (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/playoffs/2009/dalsas)

Spursmania
04-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks!

Kindergarten Cop
04-22-2009, 09:17 PM
I probably shouldn’t have said it like that. Maybe the way it came out, it sounded bad. … I’m just going to go out there and play the way I’ve been playing.

This would pretty much guarantee another HUGE night for Parker and a Spurs victory, wouldn't it? :flag:

lefty
04-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Should be an interesting game

Spursmania
04-22-2009, 09:23 PM
“It kind of fires me up,” said Spurs reserve Drew Gooden, a newcomer to this Interstate 35 rivalry. “If somebody has that much courage to put themselves on the line, so be it. But I don’t think anybody on our team has been the ones to talk. I think we can show better than we can tell. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think Tony is going to stay aggressive, so we’ll see how Dallas handles that.”

Drew is becoming a Spur and taking the higher ground as well.:p:

duncan228
04-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Game 3 preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042309dnspomavscap.3180b09.html)
By Eddie Sefco / The Dallas Morning News

Scouting the Spurs

How tough is it going to be for the Mavericks? Well, the Spurs have the second-best road record in playoff history at 59-81, a .421 percentage. Only the Lakers at .435 have a higher success rate on the road in the postseason. ... In case you forgot, Bruce Bowen is still around. He hasn't missed from 3-point range in the series, going 2-for-2. ... Bowen, Matt Bonner, Ime Udoka and Tim Duncan all will see time on Dirk Nowitzki tonight, and possibly smaller defenders like Michael Finley and Roger Mason. ... The Spurs are 18-of-32 from 3-point range so far. The Mavericks have made just 11 3-pointers.

Scouting the Mavericks

They have yet to get a vintage game from Jason Kidd, who was ill during Game 1 and had a quiet five assists to go with 14 points, four rebounds and three steals in Game 2. ... Overall, their starters have been outscored, 162-113, in the two games. It's asking a lot for the bench to overcome that. ... Dirk Nowitzki hasn't taken more than 15 shots in either game. In the regular season, he averaged 20 shots per game during the regular season and that normally goes up slightly in the playoffs. ... Nowitzki, by the way, shot 55.1 percent in eight April games, but is 10-of-29 in the playoffs.

Spursmania
04-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Game 3 preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042309dnspomavscap.3180b09.html)
By Eddie Sefco / The Dallas Morning News

Scouting the Spurs

How tough is it going to be for the Mavericks? Well, the Spurs have the second-best road record in playoff history at 59-81, a .421 percentage. Only the Lakers at .435 have a higher success rate on the road in the postseason. ...

Damn impressive.:toast

DPG21920
04-22-2009, 10:05 PM
I am so tired of all of these damn articles (no offense 228). We have heard it before, we have discussed it. Lets just play the damn game and quit talking.

duncan228
04-22-2009, 10:22 PM
I am so tired of all of these damn articles (no offense 228). We have heard it before, we have discussed it. Lets just play the damn game and quit talking.

No offense taken.

Two days is an eternity between games for us (good for the team though). Just bringing stuff that's out there, and trying to help SpursTalk be a one-stop source for info.

DPG21920
04-22-2009, 10:24 PM
No offense taken.

Two days is an eternity between games for us (good for the team though). Just bringing stuff that's out there, and trying to help SpursTalk be a one-stop source for info.

I know, and I enjoy reading them for the most part. But I am ready for the game and nothing else needs to be said.

duncan228
04-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Game 3 keys to victory (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Game_3_keys_to_victory.html)
Jeff McDonald

Go deaf to Dampier: Erick Dampier’s comments about putting Parker on his back were meant to get in the head of the Spurs point guard. If Parker is concerned about being flattened, perhaps he will be tentative on his penetration.

The Mavericks know what the Spurs know: Parker has become the centerpiece of the Spurs’ offense. When he is in attack mode, the Spurs are tough — if not impossible — to beat.

Keep on the glass: The Spurs rebounded in Game 2, in part, because they rebounded. They owned a 44-28 advantage on the glass, and held the Mavericks to just five on the offensive end.

In Game 1, Dallas had 21 second-chance points. In Game 2, that number dipped to eight.

If the Spurs can keep up the good work on the boards, they stand a great chance of gaining control of the series.

Ride out the storm: The Mavericks have responded well to adversity this season. With their home crowd behind them, odds are they will respond again.

The Spurs expect an emotional, energetic answer from the Mavericks in Game 3. The key will be to weather that early surge, keep the game close and put themselves in position to win in the fourth quarter.

raspsa
04-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Well, it was a game where one team was doing everything right and the other team seem to be going in the opposite direction. So its going to come down to the adjustments the Mavs will most likely make and how Pop responds to those adjustments. The intangible factor is mental toughness and I think the Spurs are ahead in this department.

shelshor
04-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Referee Assignments
Thurs. Apr. 23
San Antonio @ Dallas: J. Crawford; D. Collins; E. Rush

duncan228
04-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Shifting To Big D (http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/scores/live/pv11492.htm)

(Sports Network) - The Spurs and Mavericks take their Texas-sized Western Conference quarterfinals series to Dallas on Thursday for a pivotal Game 3.

The Spurs evened the set at a game apiece on Monday when Tony Parker exploded, scoring 27 of his 38 points in the first half, as the Spurs blew out Dallas, 105-84, in the Alamo City.

Tim Duncan added 13 points and 11 rebounds for the Spurs, who also received 13 points from veteran Drew Gooden, 12 from Roger Mason and 11 from Matt Bonner.

Parker drove the lane at will, shot 16-of-22 from the floor and also had eight assists.

"Game 2, I was trying to be very aggressive, attack the basket, and make sure we react and play with a lot of energy," Parker said after the game. "From the get-go, we were very aggressive. Our defense was great. It was a great win for us."

Jason Terry tallied 16 points for Dallas, which also got 14 points apiece from Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Kidd. Nowitzki, who was hampered in the second half by a thumb injury, shot a miserable 3-of-14 from the field.

The former MVP had scored at least 20 points in the final 25 games of the regular season, but San Antonio has held him to 19 and 14 over the first two games and Nowitzki is 0-for-6 from three-point range.

"They really executed their game plan a lot better than they did the other night," said Nowitzki. "We didn't really have a whole lot going offensively and defensively we never got a hold of Parker. It was a layup drill out there."

On Saturday, the Mavericks rallied from a 13-point deficit to upend the Spurs, 105-97, snapping a nine-game road losing streak in the process. Two nights later, Dallas got behind by double digits quickly and couldn't become the first team since the Los Angeles Lakers in 2002 to win consecutive playoff games in San Antonio.

Tonight's game took on added significance when Mavs center Erick Dampier said that "my first foul Thursday night is going to put (Parker) on his back."

The threat reached the NBA offices and Dampier was forced to explain himself on Wednesday.

"I probably shouldn't have said it like that," Dampier said. "It's just the game of basketball. It wasn't said intentionally to go out and hurt anyone. I mean, fouls happen in the game of basketball. It's just that we want to shut down the paint and not give up any easy layups."

The clubs split the four-game seasons series this year with the highlight being the Spurs' 133-126 double-overtime victory in Dallas on December 9.

The Mavs had been a shaky road team this season, compiling just a 18-23 record away from "Big D." Things were much different at home, where the Mavericks won 15 of their last 16 home games to end the regular season.

Game 4 is set for Saturday also in Dallas.

RedRaider
04-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Ericka's back!