PDA

View Full Version : With Career Season, The Spurs Now Belong To Tony Parker

duncan228
04-22-2009, 09:14 PM
With career season, the Spurs now belong to Tony Parker (http://www.interbasket.net/news/2049/2009/04/22/with-career-season-the-spurs-now-belong-to-tony-parker/)
Interbasket.net

Is it really possible to have a breakout season even though you’re already a three-time NBA All-Star, three-time NBA champion, and been named an NBA Finals MVP?

You can if you’re Tony Parker, the 6-2 point guard for the San Antonio Spurs.

You could call this Tony Parker’s breakout season and you wouldn’t get much of an argument around the league. The speedy Frenchman led the San Antonio Spurs with a career-best 22 points per game during the regular season and was still able to pass for career-high assists (6.9), but even those numbers don’t fully explain the important role Parker has played for the 2008-09 San Antonio Spurs.

Parker has added several highlights to his already-impressive resume.

* Tony Parker cored a career high 55 points (as well as 10 assists and 7 rebounds) in a 129-125 win over Minnesota.

* Registered 15 double-doubles (points + assists) this season alone, Parker had a total of 15 double-doubles his three previous seasons.

* Parker had a stretch of games where he scored 21+ points in 10 straight games, the highest scoring stretch of games in his career.

* Parker scored 37 points and 39 points against Dallas and Portland in back-to-back wins in February.

* Of Parker’s top-ten scoring games in his eight-year career, six of them came during the 2008-09 season (see below)

55 vs. MIN (11-05-2008)
42 vs. ATL (03-25-2009)
39 vs. POR (02-25-2009)
38 vs. MIA (01-20-2006)
37 vs. DAL (02-24-2009)
37 vs. DAL (03-04-2009)
36 vs. MIN (12-23-2008)
35 vs. GSW (04-10-2005)
35 vs. PHO (04-05-2007)
33 vs NYK (11-11-2006)

And Parker accomplished all this even though he missed eleven games this season.

Head of the Snake

It’s slowly progressed this direction all season, you could even say it’s been moving this direction for the last several years. With the momentum of Parker dashing into the lane for another layup, there is no stopping it; the San Antonio Spurs are now Tony Parker’s team.

In no other season could one have made such a proclamation with this much certainty. With Tim Duncan showing the effects of aging (he turns 33 in a couple of days) and Manu Ginobili slowed by injuries, Parker has factored much larger in the Spur’s success.

The 2008-09 NBA season saw Manu Ginobili miss 38 games and the 31-year old supertar from Argentina will miss the remainder of the 2009 NBA Playoffs. And though Duncan is still pulling in a double-double nightly; his points, rebounds, and blocks are at or near career lows.

With the two older Spurs stars regressing, the third part of the San Antonio trinity is shining brighter than ever. In addition to his career high averages in points and assists this season, the Spurs are 22-5 this season when the 26-year old point guard scores in double digits and passes for eight or more assists in game. He led the Spurs to best record in the Southwest division this season.

His 38 points in game two of the Spur’s first round matchup with the Mavericks has become the focus of the Dallas defense. The same defense that gave up 31.3 points Parker in four games between the two teams during the regular season.

“Every time he drives the lane, we have to put him on his back,” Dallas center Erick Dampier told The Dallas Morning News. “The first foul has to tell him he’s in for a long night. My first foul Thursday night is going to put him on his back. I guarantee it.”
“We’re going to have to adjust our game plan and really hone in on him,” Terry said. “He’s the head of the snake, so we got to make somebody else beat us.”

Translation: It’s Tony Parker’s team.

duncan228
04-22-2009, 09:16 PM
A similar one:

Parker's evolution becoming obvious for Spurs

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123722

honestfool84
04-22-2009, 09:32 PM
duncan288, isn't this blasphemous?

:lol

duncan228
04-22-2009, 09:55 PM
duncan288, isn't this blasphemous?

:lol

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

There's no doubt about how important Parker is to this team. But it's Duncan's team. He's Captain, and it's not in name only. He's their foundation, their leader. And Parker is the first to say so.

It takes a team to win. A team needs a leader, and Duncan is the Spurs. He will be until he retires.

spursfan09
04-22-2009, 10:04 PM
And then when Duncan leaves will you still be a fan duncan228? :)

But I agree with you, Timmy's team, he's just letting Tony do all the work for now. I think he will dominate a game soon enough.

duncan228
04-22-2009, 10:14 PM
And then when Duncan leaves will you still be a fan duncan228? :)

But I agree with you, Timmy's team, he's just letting Tony do all the work for now. I think he will dominate a game soon enough.

As long as Duncan retires a Spur they'll be my team. I assume I'm a Spurs fan for life. :)

Duncan can dominate when he needs to, but his team first mentality has him make the right decisions. If Parker, or any other Spur, has the hot hand or the advantage in a match up Duncan is happy to step back and play whatever role he needs to. He's about winning, not the spotlight.

timvp
04-22-2009, 10:20 PM
As Parker said in his interview today, he's still Duncan's sidekick. Damn good sidekick but sidekick, nonetheless. Maybe in two more years Duncan will become the sidekick.

ElNono
They forgot to mention that the Mavs also belong to Tony Parker...

anjlbitz
Even TP disagrees with this sentiment.

Marcus Bryant
04-22-2009, 10:22 PM
I recall someone telling me that Parker would not become the Spurs' franchise player whom the Spurs would build around as TD ended his career.

Avitus1
04-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Still Duncan's team. Parker has just gone from Robin to Nightwing.

NRHector
04-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

There's no doubt about how important Parker is to this team. But it's Duncan's team. He's Captain, and it's not in name only. He's their foundation, their leader. And Parker is the first to say so.

It takes a team to win. A team needs a leader, and Duncan is the Spurs. He will be until he retires.:tu

peskypesky
04-22-2009, 11:23 PM
so Parker had 15 double-doubles this season? how many did tim have?

peskypesky
04-22-2009, 11:25 PM
so parker had 15 double-doubles this season? How many did tim have?

J_Paco
04-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Timmy had 49 double-doubles during the regular season.

Sean Cagney
04-22-2009, 11:29 PM
It's not his team yet, he is the leading scorer now, but on D and all around, it's TIMMAY STILL until further notice. I hope the Mavs focus too much on Tony now and TD goes 06 on them, GOD KNOWS he still can light you up on any given night. He got two nights rest too, he will come with it.

Lady M
so Parker had 15 double-doubles this season? how many did tim have?

Double-doubles are more easy for the bigs with rebonds

peskypesky
It's not his team yet, he is the leading scorer now, but on D and all around, it's TIMMAY STILL until further notice. I hope the Mavs focus too much on Tony now and TD goes 06 on them, GOD KNOWS he still can light you up on any given night. He got two nights rest too, he will come with it.

you are correct, sir.

peskypesky
04-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Double-doubles are more easy for the bigs with rebonds

no duh. but that didn't stop chris paul from getting 50 double-doubles.

Lady M
04-22-2009, 11:35 PM

Paul got Marsupilamis like Chandler and West for dunks
TP have Timmy the bigger killer assists

dbreiden83080
04-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Articles like this really are pointless. Tony is a damn good player but will he lead the Spurs to titles years after Duncan is gone?? No.. He's not franchise player, build around to win titles good.. Duncan is this team and unless he stays around so long, he is a shell of what he used to be, he always will be this team. Tony is likely moving on after Duncan retires anyway..

ducks
04-23-2009, 12:08 AM

also did not have duncan and manu getting assist

paul had 14 assist and the hornets had 19 assist as a whole team
spurs had 20 with tp only getting 6

ducks
04-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Articles like this really are pointless. Tony is a damn good player but will he lead the Spurs to titles years after Duncan is gone?? No.. He's not franchise player, build around to win titles good.. Duncan is this team and unless he stays around so long, he is a shell of what he used to be, he always will be this team. Tony is likely moving on after Duncan retires anyway..

how do you know he will not lead the spurs to a title
without another great player he will not but kobe had shaq win they won a title

ducks
04-23-2009, 12:12 AM

did you say duncan would the spurs to titles without david?

dbreiden83080
04-23-2009, 12:15 AM
how do you know he will not lead the spurs to a title
without another great player he will not but kobe had shaq win they won a title

He's an all star PG, that's it. Tony is not now, nor will he ever be a legendary player. The best of Tony does not have half the impact the best of Tim did on the Spurs in his heyday. And comparing Tony to Kobe, WTF?? He might be the 2nd best PG in the league, but he is 2nd to Paul by a lot..

dbreiden83080
04-23-2009, 12:17 AM
did you say duncan would the spurs to titles without david?

Post 2003 your fucking a Right i did. HE led them to a title, with David on his last legs, a young Tony and a raw Manu in 2003, so you better believe post David i thought Duncan could..

ducks
04-23-2009, 12:17 AM
did you see cp3 tonight?

ducks
04-23-2009, 12:18 AM
oh and tp is not even in his prime yet

ducks
04-23-2009, 12:19 AM
He's an all star PG, that's it. Tony is not now, nor will he ever be a legendary player. The best of Tony does not have half the impact the best of Tim did on the Spurs in his heyday. And comparing Tony to Kobe, WTF?? He might be the 2nd best PG in the league, but he is 2nd to Paul by a lot..

he is an allstar player with one finals mvp and maybe more to come
oh and mike finley and duncan think he should be mvp talk

dbreiden83080
04-23-2009, 12:19 AM
oh and tp is not even in his prime yet

Good for him, he can jump it up another notch and still won't have the impact Duncan did or be anywhere close..

dbreiden83080
04-23-2009, 12:21 AM
he is an allstar player with one finals mvp and maybe more to come
oh and mike finley and duncan think he should be mvp talk

He got a finals MVP in a sweep against young shitty Cav's team after TD did the heavy lifting to get them there. TD was the best player in that post-season, not Tony..

Kori Ellis
04-23-2009, 12:21 AM
People writing stuff like this should just listen to Tony's interview just today. He's very very clear that this is Tim's team and he's a sidekick.

I think Tony will stay in San Antonio after Tim's gone, but he knows that he is privileged right now to be playing with a legend.

I don't really care whose team anyone wants to say it is. Right now the Spurs need Tony Parker and Tim Duncan (along with a few other people) to be playing at their best to have any shot at a title.

ducks
04-23-2009, 12:23 AM
He got a finals MVP in a sweep against young shitty Cav's team after TD did the heavy lifting to get them there. TD was the best player in that post-season, not Tony..

so when duncan got the finals mvp was it against a bad team

oh and the cavs had what people say are the best player in nba ever playing for him

tp still had to make the shots....

ducks
04-23-2009, 12:24 AM
People writing stuff like this should just listen to Tony's interview just today. He's very very clear that this is Tim's team and he's a sidekick.

I think Tony will stay in San Antonio after Tim's gone, but he knows that he is privileged right now to be playing with a legend.

I don't really care whose team anyone wants to say it is. Right now the Spurs need Tony Parker and Tim Duncan (along with a few other people) to be playing at their best to have any shot at a title.
yes
plus they need gooden and bowen doing their thing

dbreiden83080
04-23-2009, 12:26 AM
oh and the cavs had what people say are the best player in nba ever playing for him

LOL, WOW just WOW..

jcrod
04-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Its TD's team but the tide had definitely shifted. The team goes as TP goes, not TD anymore. TD can have a bad game and the team still wins more than when TP has a bad game.

HarlemHeat37
04-23-2009, 12:56 AM
TD's team doesn't mean he's the main option..Duncan hasn't been the clear main option in years..it's been a 1a-1b-1c thing for a year or 2 coming into this season..the difference now is that Tony is the clear #1 option on offense..

Duncan is the best defensive player/defensive anchor on the team, the best rebounder, and the leader of this team..

as I said earlier in the year..this look like the Celtics of last year, where Pierce became the main guy with the ball, and KG layed back and played the defense and rebounding..Duncan is now focusing more on the other aspects of basketball..

the beauty of having Tim Duncan is that he doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective..

mathbzh
04-23-2009, 02:27 AM
I have no problem having two leaders.
TD is still the cornerstone and Tony the #1 option on offense.

If it can take some load off Duncan's shoulders and give us one or two additional season with a competitive (by his standards) Duncan, then it is probably a good thing if this team is now seen as Tony's team.

Trimble87
04-23-2009, 02:47 AM
Particularly with Manu out for the postseason we need tony to score 25+ and get 6+ assists a game to have a chance. As demonstrated last game Duncan can have an average night and the team wont suffer... That being said the best player isn't necessarily the team leader. I don't care if Duncan puts up 5 pts 6 rebounds for the rest of his career, as long as he wears silver and black it will be his team.

kace
04-23-2009, 03:21 AM
really, it's just pointless to say that he is or is not a "legendary player" like it was a cutting remark.

who give a fuck ? does he need to be MJ, Magic or Wilt equal to be a great player ? that's lame and useless.

TP is great and he's our offensive leader. Tim is the leader of the team. what's the problem there ?

and after seeing the two first games of these PO, i guess a lot of people should think again about TP, CP3 and D-Will. when it comes to make his team win games in PO, i don't think either D-Will or CP3 have proven anything like TP has.

le13
04-23-2009, 04:06 AM
+1 Kace!!!:toast

dbreiden83080 might be a mav fan!!:lmao

Everybody knows that it is TD's team (and Tony the first of all!!))...

You could (of course) be disagree with this article but you are showing definitely some disrespect to TP dbreiden83080!!!

If you really are a spur Fan you should not argue about this article and support both our top players. And if you still not sure about it, go and ask TD about it.. For him TP might an MVP and a legendary player one day and he will be very happy about it. :ihit

Bukefal
04-23-2009, 04:41 AM
With career season, the Spurs now belong to Tony Parker (http://www.interbasket.net/news/2049/2009/04/22/with-career-season-the-spurs-now-belong-to-tony-parker/)
Interbasket.net

Is it really possible to have a breakout season even though you’re already a three-time NBA All-Star, three-time NBA champion, and been named an NBA Finals MVP?

You can if you’re Tony Parker, the 6-2 point guard for the San Antonio Spurs.

:toast yeahhhhh

ThaiFanofSpurs
04-23-2009, 04:54 AM
really, it's just pointless to say that he is or is not a "legendary player" like it was a cutting remark.

who give a fuck ? does he need to be MJ, Magic or Wilt equal to be a great player ? that's lame and useless.

TP is great and he's our offensive leader. Tim is the leader of the team. what's the problem there ?

and after seeing the two first games of these PO, i guess a lot of people should think again about TP, CP3 and D-Will. when it comes to make his team win games in PO, i don't think either D-Will or CP3 have proven anything like TP has.

Totally agree!

Gervin44Silas13
04-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Barnone this has become Tony's team however far he goes the Spurs go ....next year will be very interesting...who goes, stays and who they bring in take another shot at that title again. If we can find a bad ass compilment for Tony other than Manu, we can have a bad ass backcourt....they question is though who would be out there and who would be willing to come and play in SA?

mathbzh
04-23-2009, 07:03 AM
There is one thing about this "Tony's team comments" that I like.
It is how Duncan deals with this.
He has been the face of this team for such a long time.
And he seems to accept without any problem to live in Tony's growing shadows (the exact same thing DRob did with Duncan). Another proof that Duncan is not only a great champion but also a great man.

samikeyp
04-23-2009, 07:03 AM
As long as 21 is on the team, its still his team...and the members of the team will say the same thing.

samikeyp
04-23-2009, 07:04 AM
There is one thing about this "Tony's team comments" that I like.
It is how Duncan deals with this.
He has been the face of this team for such a long time.
And he seems to accept without any problem to live in Tony's growing shadows (the exact same thing DRob did with Duncan). Another proof that Duncan is not only a great champion but also a great man.

:tu

timaios
04-23-2009, 09:26 AM
TEAM. Do you understand the concept of TEAM.

First, it was the "Manu vs Tony" thing.
Now it is the "Tim's TEAM vs Tony's TEAM" thing.

Who cares ? Are you 12 ?

How about Spurs fans acting like the members of a... TEAM !!!

Repeat after me : TEAM, TEAM, TEAM...

I am a fan of the TEAM.
I want the Big 3 healthy. I want the role players healthy.
When one of our guys doesn't play well, i don't insult him.

Some pseudo-fans are really annoying with those internal battles !

Show some respect to the TEAM, show some respect to ALL the players of your TEAM.

You could follow the Spurs' example !
They are UNSELFISH and play TOGETHER !

Go figure.

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

O-Factor
04-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Parker has become arguably a top 3 pt gaurd in this league. It has been great from a Spur's fan prospective to watch him develop into what he has become as a basketball player.

But make no mistake, THIS is still Tim's team.

FaithInOne
04-23-2009, 10:37 AM
It will always be Duncan's team because he is...Duncan.

Parker is however, the most dangerous Spur and the one to which the team relies on most.

tmtcsc
04-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Pure sillines. This is Tim's team until he retires. Tony's been a stud for us and continues to improve but this team still revolves around Tim.

Manufan909
04-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Still Duncan's team. Parker has just gone from Robin to Nightwing.

Damn, beat me to the comic reference.