PDA

View Full Version : Damage Control: How Much Parker Can Dallas Mavericks Handle?

duncan228
04-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Damage control: How much Parker can Dallas Mavericks handle? (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042309dnspomoore.366c690.html)
David Moore
Dallas Morning News

No matter how bad something is for your health, a certain amount can often be tolerated.

There is, for instance, an acceptable level for asbestos. For cholesterol. For radon.

I'm sure the same principle applies for Tony Parker.

What is that number? What sort of damage can the Mavericks allow Parker to do in Game 3 tonight and still come away with a victory?

"That's a difficult question to answer," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said. "A lot of things would depend on how the game's going and what the score is. We want to keep it, you know, under 38."

Hey, it's a start.

Parker scored 38 points in Monday's blowout victory. He's averaged 31 points in the first two games of this series to mirror his average against the Mavericks during the regular season.

The Mavericks dealt with deadly speed in last year's playoffs against New Orleans and Chris Paul. Coaches and players will tell you Parker may be a step faster from baseline to baseline.

Center Erick Dampier has suggested the Mavericks put Parker on his back every time he drives the lane. That makes defensive sense. But my question is this:

How do you knock down someone you can't catch?

Parker is playing in a different stratosphere. Those are Carlisle's words, not mine. The Mavericks must throw everything at him in Game 3. Traps. Zones. Blitz him from different spots the moment he puts the ball on the floor.

"We know how great he is," Carlisle said. "We're going to have to be a lot better with our team defense. I don't know if anybody ever stops a guy like Parker. He's so good and so fast. But we're going to have to do better on him."

The coaching staff rarely consults me on these matters. OK, never is a better word to use than rarely. But here's my suggestion.

Open the game in a zone and start Jason Terry.

The zone impedes Parker's great straight-line speed. The pick-and-roll between Parker and Tim Duncan is also a little easier to defend out of the zone. Terry's value is on offense.

The Mavericks must attack Parker on defense. They can't allow him to catch his breath against Jason Kidd or Antoine Wright.

Parker would open on Kidd, not Terry. But the Mavericks can force Parker to switch off the pick-and-roll and bounce him off a few Dampier screens, something they have a better chance of doing with Terry than Wright. The Mavericks can post Kidd on Parker more than they did in the first two games of this series.

What Kidd did against Steve Nash late in the regular season comes to mind.

"We've got to make him work on both ends and try to wear him down," Kidd said. "He's young, but if he just has to work on the offensive end, he's going to be a nightmare for us.

"We've got to get him involved in whatever it is and not let him sit in the corner and rest."

So, what is the acceptable level for Parker? Carlisle said the Mavericks want to keep him under his 31-point average. Push him into the mid-20s, and this offensively-challenged Spurs team will find it difficult to win.

To accomplish this, the Mavericks must take away two to three layups, do a better job on the pick-and-roll and make Parker work on defense.

"We'll try to mix some stuff up," forward Dirk Nowitzki said. "That's the main thing with a great scorer. You can't give them just one look.

"Great players adjust, so we'll keep mixing it up and see what happens."

pimptaddy
04-22-2009, 09:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WuEJX3Ty9s

Is Parker gay? This rap video sure makes you think he might support gay marriage.

duncan228
04-22-2009, 09:51 PM

Is Parker gay? This rap video sure makes you think he might support gay marriage.

Boy, you sure talk about Spurs players being gay a lot.

Spursfan092120
04-22-2009, 09:52 PM

First off, just because someone is ok with gay marriage doesn't make them gay..second off..in the video, dude is all over women the whole time..lol..

pimptaddy
04-22-2009, 09:55 PM
First off, just because someone is ok with gay marriage doesn't make them gay..second off..in the video, dude is all over women the whole time..lol..

First, look at Eva without makeup. This is Parker's wife. The guy can do better and yet he is with a dog.

http://www.celebroundup.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/eval-ongoria-no-makeup.jpg

Second, he is rapping in French. How gay can he get? Tony Parker is the whitest brotha in the NBA. Oh wait, he is second since Timmy is number one. Dirk is blacker than Tony Parker.

Spursmania
04-22-2009, 09:56 PM

Stop being a Troll and asking ridiculous inconsequential questions that make absolutely no sense.

Spursmania
04-22-2009, 09:57 PM

I think pimptdaddy needs the STFU noob pic. This guy's an idiot.

pimptaddy
04-22-2009, 09:58 PM
http://www.celebroundup.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/eval-ongoria-no-makeup.jpg

No straight man would marry this women. Is it Halloween because she is scaring me.

pimptaddy
04-22-2009, 10:00 PM
You guys laugh, but I am going to be at game 3 behind the basket. I have made a huge mask with this picture of eva and I am going to wave it when parker shoots ft's.

hater
04-22-2009, 10:00 PM
talking about gay?

:lmao the mavs have Dirk NOwitzki and Erika Dampier. the softest, gayest frontline in the entire NBA. The mavs have a hole in the middle the size of Pamela Anderson's punani :lol

hater
04-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Tony penetrates the Mavs frontline more than pimptaddy penetrates his boyfriend

spursfan09
04-22-2009, 10:02 PM
You guys laugh, but I am going to be at game 3 behind the basket. I have made a huge mask with this picture of eva and I am going to wave it when parker shoots ft's.

Right, because he's never been taunted by opposing fans with pictures of Eva. :rolleyes

pimptaddy
04-22-2009, 10:05 PM
talking about gay?

:lmao the mavs have Dirk NOwitzki and Erika Dampier. the softest, gayest frontline in the entire NBA. The mavs have a hole in the middle the size of Pamela Anderson's punani :lol

This guy married this women

http://www.eyebrowmagazine.com/__data/assets/image/0019/5329/evalongoria1XPO_468x718.jpg

Now look at this pic of his true love Kobe.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f384/i_c_y_s/gay.jpg

Looks like Tony catches and Kobe is the pitcher. Always knew that was the way he liked it.

pimptaddy
04-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Right, because he's never been taunted by opposing fans with pictures of Eva. :rolleyes

I am doing the no makeup eva pics. Gotta take it to the next level.

duncan228
04-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Looks like Tony catches and Kobe is the pitcher. Always knew that was the way he liked it.

Talk so much about it, and know so much about it.

spursfan09
04-22-2009, 10:08 PM
I am doing the no makeup eva pics. Gotta take it to the next level.

nope everything you're saying we have heard before.

But I guess you just started following the NBA this year???

pimptaddy
04-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Talk so much about it, and know so much about it.

The expression on Parker's face says it all. Kobe is giving him a surprise and he likes it.

pimptaddy
04-22-2009, 10:10 PM
nope everything you're saying we have heard before.

But I guess you just started following the NBA this year???

Old school mavs fan and baller. Been hating on manu, timmy and the frog for years.

Cry Havoc
04-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Old school mavs fan and baller. Been hating on manu, timmy and the frog for years.

4 > 0

:toast

pimptaddy
04-22-2009, 10:18 PM
4 > 0

:toast

3.5 >0

half a season gets half a title.

duncan228
04-22-2009, 10:24 PM
half a season gets half a title.

Did they cut the Trophy in half? I must have missed that. I'll have to see how it's listed in the record books, I didn't know they did halves.

4001 STEREO SPUR
04-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Did they cut the Trophy in half? I must have missed that. I'll have to see how it's listed in the record books, I didn't know they did halves.

Nope. All four sure look nice in the trophy case at the AT&T Center.

pimptaddy
04-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Nope. All four sure look nice in the trophy case at the AT&T Center.

Must be nice to tank a season to get Duncan. Shows poor sportsmanship to throw games to get a bad record. Typical cheating by the spurs and their sewer walk.

duncan228
04-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Must be nice to tank a season to get Duncan. Shows poor sportsmanship to throw games to get a bad record. Typical cheating by the spurs and their sewer walk.

Gay smack, tank smack. Got anything we haven't heard?

And, you might want to review your NBA history and check out Robinson's injury that year. Hard to fake.

pimptaddy
04-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Gay smack, tank smack. Got anything we haven't heard?

And, you might want to review your NBA history and check out Robinson's injury that year. Hard to fake.

The admiral was the king of faking injuries. Don't play games with me son.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-23-2009, 02:18 AM
The admiral was the king of faking injuries. Don't play games with me son.

The Admiral would mess you up so bad you'd wish you could fake your injuries, pimptaddy. Don't let the nice guy act fool you--don't fuck with DRob.

Drachen
04-23-2009, 08:29 AM
First, look at Eva without makeup. This is Parker's wife. The guy can do better and yet he is with a dog.

Second, he is rapping in French. How gay can he get? Tony Parker is the whitest brotha in the NBA. Oh wait, he is second since Timmy is number one. Dirk is blacker than Tony Parker.

Isn't this a little racist on your part?? I mean you are saying that only white men are winners and black men are losers.

Shoot, I am white and I am offended for black men and women

samikeyp
04-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Tony penetrates the Mavs frontline more than pimptaddy gets penetrated by his boyfriend

fixed

HiLouis!
04-23-2009, 09:18 AM
jesus christ how much time do you spend on perez hilton looking for pictures of eva longoria?

pimptaddy
04-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Time to die tonight Spurs fans. Your team will be destroyed. The little french skunk is going to get some pain from the Damp and his hard fouls.

Dex
04-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Sounds like Dallas is amping up to throw everything but the kitchen sink at Parker. Look for Duncan to have a big game.

pimptaddy
04-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Sounds like Dallas is amping up to throw everything but the kitchen sink at Parker. Look for Duncan to have a big game.

Father time will stop timmy tonight. How are those knees Timmy? Cant beat time. Timmy should retire or maybe tank the season next year so the spurs can try to get a good draft pick. Just like when The admiral tanked to get Timmy.

MadDog73
04-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Father time will stop timmy tonight. How are those knees Timmy? Cant beat time. Timmy should retire or maybe tank the season next year so the spurs can try to get a good draft pick. Just like when The admiral tanked to get Timmy.

Dirk is getting old too....

and Jason "Kidd" is an oxymoron.

clambake
04-23-2009, 11:52 AM
hey pimp, show some class.

Morg1411
04-23-2009, 12:50 PM
HAHA! Now he is a Mavs fan. He was a Suns fan until they were knocked out of playoff contention. He makes me laugh.

He makes me puke.

This guy (?) wins the Tampon Award, hands down.

Man of Steel
04-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Isn't Mark Cuban gay?