PDA

View Full Version : Finger: Attention To Detail Not Lost On Mason

duncan228
04-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Attention to detail not lost on Mason (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Attention_to_detail_not_lost_on_Mason.html)
By Mike Finger

If the Spurs do have a specific, exhaustively researched plan for how to attack the Dallas Mavericks' zone defense, or what to watch for with Dirk Nowitzki in transition, or how to slow down Jason Terry — and rest assured they do — Roger Mason Jr. is not at liberty to provide the details.

All he can confirm is this — the Spurs' staff has passed along no tendency-related information on the positioning of Terry's headband.

“That's one thing we don't have a report on,” Mason said, laughing. “Nothing quirky like that.”

But by the time he finished preparing for his first postseason with the Spurs last week, Mason wouldn't have been shocked if sweatband scouting had been included.

Previously in his career, when he made the playoffs with Washington, tuning up for a first-round series meant being able to see the finish line. With the Spurs, though, Mason said it's almost like going through a whole new training camp.

“You could feel it turn up,” Mason said. “I already knew the Spurs were detail-oriented, but when the playoffs started, man, it went to another level.

“They understand how long the second season is.”

Exactly how long the second season does last for the Spurs could be largely up to Mason. With Manu Ginobili out for the playoffs with an ankle injury and George Hill still deemed not ready for the big-game spotlight by coach Gregg Popovich, the Spurs need Mason to fill two vital roles — that of a third scorer (behind Tony Parker and Tim Duncan) and that of a backup point guard.

Through two games in the first round, the reviews have been positive.

“Roger hasn't missed a beat,” Popovich said. “He looks like a veteran playoff individual. There's no difference in anxiety level, or being confused, or being nervous, or anything. He just comes and plays and does what he does.”

Mason, who averaged 12.5 points, 3.5 assists and 3.0 rebounds in Games 1 and 2 against the Mavericks, has made the most of both roles. When Parker is in the game, he looks to get open for his jump shot — he's made 6 of 13 attempts from 3-point range in the series — and when Parker is out, he's been more of a creator.

Mason said Wednesday his time at point guard during the regular season prepared him well for what he's been asked to do in the playoffs. That was never more evident than in the second quarter of Game 2, when he drove to the basket, attracted a couple of defenders, then rifled a pass to Matt Bonner, who hit his first 3-pointer of the series.

“I want to mix it up,” Mason said. “If they're going to take away the shot, then I'm going to try to get in the lane and create shots for other guys.”

As for all those scouting reports he's been reviewing?

“They've got some nice little tidbits,” Mason said. “But I'm not giving them away.”

Sean Cagney
04-23-2009, 01:01 AM
MASON will eat them up soon in a game, I see it...

HarlemHeat37
04-23-2009, 01:04 AM
I had no worries about Mason coming into the playoffs, and I still don't..he's shown that he has balls and he loves the pressure..that's the type of guy that belongs on this team, and I hope we'll see him as a Spur for many years..

Taking it to the Hole
04-23-2009, 01:36 AM
I see Mason hitting at least one game winner in this series before it is all said and done. The guy is clutch and not afraid to take the big shot at the end of the game. I can't wait till he has his breakout game!!!

Evil Angel
04-23-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm just not completely sold on the back up PG that he has to do. A little inconsistent there.

raspsa
04-23-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm just not completely sold on the back up PG that he has to do. A little inconsistent there.

Yeah, but there really isn't much choice in the matter. Pop's mind is set.

boutons_deux
04-23-2009, 09:30 AM
I'd like to see a lot more arc on his jumpers, but as long as they go in ...

nkdlunch
04-23-2009, 09:33 AM
still waiting for Mason's first playoff game winning shot...

Capt Bringdown
04-23-2009, 09:43 AM
George Hill still deemed not ready for the big-game spotlight by coach Gregg Popovich...
:td

wildbill2u
04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Mason ain't the second coming of John Stockton or Isaih Thomas, but he can play OK in a role.

I hope he'll heat up offensively in a some playoff games, but it's only a prayer that he'll play consistently. He hasn't all season.

benefactor
04-23-2009, 12:34 PM
As I said in another post...if Mason is going to pick a game during this series to come up big this needs to be the one. We have a lot of things stacked against us and him having a big night behind the arc/making smart decisions at the point will go a long way in counteracting those things.